PDA

View Full Version : First Pass at a Political Map in CC3

deanatglobe
06-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is a political map in handrawn style. I am still not happy with the text and am looking for the handrawn compase rose and legend I could have sworn I had ;).

Any suggestions on text placement would be welcome. Should I curve the text?

http://members.cox.net/dyager/bear_tribe.PNG

Thanks

Patrakis
06-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Hello Deanatglobe,

That's a nice map. Very clean and crisp. I wouldn't go with curved text but i would center the names on their polygons.

Nice work

Pat

RPMiller
06-24-2006, 10:42 PM
If you can find a rough texture and apply it to the political border polys it might give it a more colored pencil look which would be less jarring to the overall handdrawn style of the map.

deanatglobe
06-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Okay, I did some tweaking of colors, I threw a texture on the border sheet. but am not seeing too big of difference.

I changed a few of the names to make thier style match better.

http://members.cox.net/dyager/bear_tribe_2.PNG

Here is the map without the effects on, someone was asking about the edge fade effect.

http://members.cox.net/dyager/bear_tribe_2_noeffect.PNG

RPMiller
06-27-2006, 02:42 AM
I can't see either of the pics. Must be that Firefox problem again.

RPMiller
06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Ok, I switched to IE and was able to view them. I like the look better. It gives an almost water painted look to the polys.

Talamar
06-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey,

well, I like that map a lot. It is pretty clean and straight forward and tells just the facts it needs to tell.
I love the second version most since the colors are not so "bright" in that.
Very well done

bblackmoor
06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I see the original map with the colored edges, but the two most recent maps display as broken image links.

deanatglobe
06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Strange, firefox says the PNG's are broken image

Robbie
06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm using firefox and it seems to handle it fine.

RPMiller
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
What version of FF? I think we recently discovered the newest version has problems with PNGs while the older version does not. I'm running FF 1.5.0.4.

deanatglobe
06-28-2006, 01:42 PM
The odd thing is that all three are PNG's. Although, the bottom two are straight out of CC3, the top one I resampled. Let me try resampling in Adobe and then throw them up again.

deanatglobe
06-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Yep that is it. The PNG's that are coming right out of CC3 are giving the current version of Firefox Grief. So a quick resample before thowing them up is in order for now.

I think I saw a thread on a PNG issue on the CC-2 list.

RPMiller
06-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Yup. Perhaps you should draw the list's attention to this thread?

rillithis
07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Okay, I did some tweaking of colors, I threw a texture on the border sheet. but am not seeing too big of difference.
<snip>

I really like the edge effect in the new look. :D The softer colors give the map a more antique :?: feel, matching the feel of the rest of the map, imo.
If I may, I would try an effect with the text to make it stand out just a bit more.
:)
eric
[edit] LOVE the compass rose! Did you draw that?

deanatglobe
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks, I actually do have a 'glow' on the text that is the same color as the parchment to make a gap where there are symbols. I may try making it bigger.

The compass rose I'll check where it came from. It may have come from some of the symbols in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping samples.

Thanks

Shadowfane
08-07-2006, 04:54 AM
Fabulous map, Dean! I love the simple lines of it and the dabs of colour really complement it. I particularly like Clan Finn, as that is what we named our 3 week old son! (Finn, not Clan Finn!)

Are all the terrain symbols from CC3s standard library?

I wonder whether some very faint coastline markings (broken lines indicating the edge of the sea) might add to the map; possibly this might just detract from the simple elegance, though.

Another thought: although the patterned border you have looks fine, I bet this map would also really suit a ragged parchment type effect with a few burn marks can you do that in CC3? Easy enough in Photoshop.

Great job!

Cheers,

Shadowfane

deanatglobe
08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
The Symbols are mostly from Symbol Set 1, and a few from some samples from 'The Tome of Ultimate Mapping'.

I agree on the map border. I believe I will be able to make a ragged parchment look and even have an idea for burn marks and crease lines. Should not be too difficult with the effects in CC3.

Thanks

RPMiller
08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
It looks like either you fixed the PNGs or the latest FF update fixed them. They are working great now. Anyway, I will echo the comments above. I really like that finished look you ended up with. Well done.