PDA

View Full Version : Katharine Kerr's Deverry

Zeta Kai
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
This is a map of the world of Deverry, from Katharine Kerr's Deverry Cycle. This map was made using Adobe Illustrator CS3 & Photoshop CS3.

Valarian
12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
A nice map from a setting I love. I'll have to check it with the books for a fine analysis, but it looks fine to me. One comment about the settlement icons used. They seem to float over the map rather than resting on it. There's also no indication of the size or importance of the settlement. The symbol is the same whether the settlement is the home of minor Lord, Gwerbret or High King.

Steel General
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Not familiar with the series, but I like the map.

Vandy
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Hello, Zeta Kai.

As the Steel General, I am not familiar with the series. However, you've created an awesome map! Overall, I believe you have a very well planned, thought-out map here.

Valarian, As to the placenames "floating" above the map, this is the result of judicious use of "shadowing" underneath the names and settlement dots. The resulting offset of the shadow causes the names to "rise off" the map and appear to be above it. I actually like this effect, although, I would probably not use the shadow for the settlement dots themselves.

Another comment concenring your mountains. Not knowning the series form which this map was created, I may be "off base" with this comment. Is the surrounding forestland suppose to abruptly end and the mountainous terrain begin or should there be a gradual thinning of the forestland before the mountainous terrain begins.

This is a very nice map and one that certainly should make you proud. Great work!

Regards,

Gary

Valarian
12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I can recommend the series. It's Celtic flavour fantasy, and the traditional elements of fantasy (magic, elves, dwarves) are easily missed to start. The first book is DaggerSpell (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daggerspell-Deverry-Katharine-Kerr/dp/0006482244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229371047&sr=1-1). If you like the first book, you'll like the series. The story is told in a style that is a bit like the Highlander film, with a continuing story broken up with flashbacks. The stories interweave the characters from life to life (the reincarnation table in the back of some books becoming very useful). The more books that are read, the more the story and the characters build. Each further book builds on the knowledge gained from the ones previous.

torstan
12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree. These books are excellent. It's also good to see such a nice map for them. They are a breath of fresh air from many of the high fantasy D&D inspried settings.

Steel General
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks... have to look into them, I'm about out of stuff I haven't read 2 or 3 times except for the Malazan & Temeraire series.

Rhia
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
You have an enjoyable time before you then—fourteen volumes so far, with one or more to go! I recently re-read them and they remain some of my favorite fantasy books. The color map is nice, too! Only a few of these books contain maps, so you have to keep an extra book by your bedside/arm chair.

Volsung
04-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Definitely like the celtic flavor. I am not a fan of the red text... It does not seem to contrast well, but I may just not be looking at it in the right light... Also the river in the bottom left seems to flow away from the ocean... I am not part of the river police, but is that legal? Ignore if you think differently... In any case, it does not detract from the piece.
Also, good mountains.

Sean
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Very nicely done. Much better than many attempts of this map I have seen out there.

Navigator7
01-26-2010, 03:36 AM
An excellent map, I'm halfway through the final book of the series and the last two books do not contain maps, but do refer to territory that mentions a northern coast and various areas such as the 'Ghost Plain' and the Lake of the Leaping Trout.

thruhiker
02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Love the map! I actually registered on this site just so I can view it! I love the Kerr Deverry books and have always been a fan of fantasy books with maps in them. I just finished the last book and started the series again from the beginning and wanted to have a map to follow along with. Thanks again!

MultaeKappae
06-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Heh, this is practially the only Map related to the Deverry Cycle I've been able to find on the net. I would have thought a series that's lasted for more than 20 years would leave more traces.

Aenigma
06-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Excellent map!

tilt
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Looking very good - nice clear map. My only criticism are the town names - they are a little big and therefor dominates the map a little. I would like to see them with a smaller font. A good way to go is to enlarge the font as the place described is bigger ... so towns really small, cities bigger, then rivers, hills and forrests and then mountains. (generally speaking).
Concidering the proposed river violation in the bottom left I think the idea is that the river starts in a lake and empties out into the ocean, that would be allright - although one could argue - where does the lake get new water from? :)

Gidde
06-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Well, spring-fed lakes are actually incredibly common, so I don't see a problem with that at all. Now, talk about a series with some river violations - I toyed with doing Midkemia (Feist) for this month's challenge and gave up on it because the river violations were driving me crazy.

tilt
06-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Well, spring-fed lakes are actually incredibly common, so I don't see a problem with that at all. Now, talk about a series with some river violations - I toyed with doing Midkemia (Feist) for this month's challenge and gave up on it because the river violations were driving me crazy.

*lol*.... haven't read those in many many years, way before I knew what a river violation was... which was last summer ;)

marajade54
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
what is this ?? even my 6 years old nephew can do better....

just kidding..... great work. very nice map.

donaj
04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
really like the map, like a few others I only joined the forum to see it! now we need a second map that will show Cerr Cawnen and the West lands please. Not to be too demanding or anything.