PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur vs. Terracing

Michael Morris
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, I've begun playing around with wilbur - and I can't get rid of the terraced appearence of the terrain after import. Attached is the png file I am importing and a jpg of what Wilbur is outputting before any operations are applied.

NeonKnight
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Should be a deterrace tool in there somewhere.

But Waldonrate (writer of Wilbur) is a member here and he should be along shortly to answer your question.

Midgardsormr
12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I had a similar problem when importing a regional-scale heightfield from Fractal Terrains. Deterrace worked to a degree, but it took a very long time to do its thing. I also experimented with applying a blur to the heightfield before importing it, and that helped a bit. The problem I had was the small number of levels available in the field. I had to increase the brightness and contrast before blurring in order to get decent results. Even then, I wasn't terribly happy with what I came up with, but I have not had the time to do more experimentation.

ravells
12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I know it's not much of a comfort, but Bryce is even worse for this.

waldronate
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Try Filter>>Fill>>Deterrace followed by Filter>>Blur>>Gaussian Blur with a sigma around 1.0. A straight blur with a sigma around 1.0 should work well enough in cases where there aren't large flatish areas.

RobA
12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
As pointed out, the issue is your original heightfield.

It only has 29 levels of grey.

-Rob A>