PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Dyrge -

Steel General
12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
OK, next in my Temple series - a temple for the god Dyrge (think a combo of Shar, Myrkul & Velsharoon from the Forgotten Realms) or you can look in the WIKI for a bit more info.

Anywho... this is still in the very early stages. It took quite awhile to get it to this point. I must've had 20-30 guides on it at one point so I could keep things as symmetrical as possible. The courtyard will definitely change, I just used that texture for now until I find something better. The 2 stairways inside will be removed eventually they are just placeholders so I remember where I want them. There is a dome over the central area of the temple (hidden at the moment).

I want to make the inside of it shadowy and dark, but and having a bit of a rough time getting a handle on it, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

As always comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

jfrazierjr
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
YEAH!!! more temples...

I want to make the inside of it shadowy and dark, but and having a bit of a rough time getting a handle on it, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

As always comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

I think your going to have a problem with that given the shadowy skull textures in the floor. One possibility is to select the white areas of the "skulls" and work on giving them a "backglow" from below(ie, lighten up the "light" areas). This will help them stand out from the darkness you plan on putting down.

Also.. it would not be a bad idea to have have a black layer and add a layermask to it with a default 50% grey color. Now... whereever you draw "Black" will lighten the image... and where ever you draw white will darken the image... kind of reverse I know.. but you will get used to it.... using black for your top layer will make everything black... but then the layer mask will allow you to selectivly show some of the color through.... of course... this is just a sneaky attempt to get you to learn layer masks....

Steel General
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
You're probably right about the skull textures, we'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I did play around with a couple of tutorials that used the 'QuickMask', its how I got the shadow on the glowing skull. Don't worry I'll become a full-fledged, card-carrying layer mask user eventually :D

Gamerprinter
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Look up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane - NO its Temple Man!

SG, the single-minded Temple Creator - haven't you had enough! :P

I thought about creating a Serpent temple after your start on your second temple, but I didn't want to step on your new possible contest entry.

I love to map too, but I have to constantly look at new directions or I get bored. Right now on a BT run, but that should end by end of month. I am already thinking of creating a hand-drawn masterpiece of Conan's World of Hyborea, after looking at what was missing from Mongoose's Forums. That's my next challenge.

Funny thing, though, my first map project from Mongoose is - create an African Cavern Temple for a Conan adventure! Already done, still waiting for the contract, though...

Sorry for the thread jack - I just couldn't believe I was looking at a fourth temple map out of you this month. Once you get more done, I'll make a more appropriate response!

GP

Steel General
12-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Look up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane - NO its Temple Man!

SG, the single-minded Temple Creator - haven't you had enough! :P

I thought about creating a Serpent temple after your start on your second temple, but I didn't want to step on your new possible contest entry.

GP

Call me a glutton for punishment I guess. :)

I'd love to see your take on a Serpent temple. We can always use them in the CWBP if nothing else.

Can you post a WIP of the Cavern Temple or is that against your agreement?

I got on these 'kicks' (for lack of a better word) every once in a while where I really get into something and crank out a bunch of stuff - regardless of the subject, then I run out of juice.

Actually mapping out some of the temples for my pantheon is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, just never got around to. Ultimately I'd like to do at least 1 temple per deity, but I'm sure I'll probably get "tired" of doing them and stop. I plan on doing one more after this, sort of a Deity 'Union Hall' that I came up with in one of the blurbs I wrote, and I still need to finish the Tomival temple too.

Gamerprinter
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Can you post a WIP of the Cavern Temple or is that against your agreement?

Well considering Nick the Greek at Mongoose is sick this week and he's the coordinator for maps, I'd need is permission to post. Considering it is not published yet - I really doubt it.

Maybe I'll work on a Temple of Serpents map as well.

GP

jfrazierjr
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Actually mapping out some of the temples for my pantheon is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, just never got around to. Ultimately I'd like to do at least 1 temple per deity, but I'm sure I'll probably get "tired" of doing them and stop. I plan on doing one more after this, sort of a Deity 'Union Hall' that I came up with in one of the blurbs I wrote, and I still need to finish the Tomival temple too.

Not that I don't want to see one temple per deity, but I would generally like to go the other direction and see multiple temples for the same deity to get an idea of how each locale makes use of it's native materials in addition to it's own local architecture (assuming the deity does not say all must be exactly like X). This is especially true in a world with a wide geographical area, perhaps separated by oceans or other largish natural barriers.

Steel General
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
OK, here's a bit of an update and I actually used a layer mask (thx JFJr!):D

Not sure if its a bit to purple or not, I tried to go somewhere in the middle between really dark purple and really dark blue. Easy enough to adjust though.

The thing outside the temple is a skull shaped mound encircled by a wall, I may put a dead tree in there or something haven't decided yet.

Ascension
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Your texturing always looks so good...like I could put my hand to the screen and feel it. Nicely done. Might need to do a lil more work on that hill though...to me it looks less hilly and more floory.

Steel General
12-18-2008, 04:44 PM
@Ascension - Thanks...Yeah I can see where you're coming from on that, it actually has a grassy texture on it, but that appears to get lost in the "darkness".

Maybe I'll add a tree and hang a couple of 'skull lanterns' from it and see how it goes.

Gandwarf
12-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Very nice work so far Steel General. I love the dark feel and the big lighted skull is especially good. Didn't get the hill idea either, it looks more like something on the floor.

Steel General
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Here's a bit of an update, tried to redo the hill outside - trying to make it look like its got some sort of glowing green lichen/moss on it.

Added walls around the temple and added a 'skull-shaped' foundation beneath it that has a bit of a glow to it.

jfrazierjr
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Not sure if this really captures the hill effect, but it seems that way to me.... unfortunately, it's to dark to really do a good job on it.

Steel General
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm still debating on whether to keep that thing in their or not. If I can come up with a better idea for something to put there I'll take the mound out.

But I'm pretty happy with everything else.

Ascension
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd say just dump the hill idea...it looks fine as a pit.

Steel General
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM
OK, I've decided to dump the whole skull mound thing and replace it with another faintly lit skull overlay.

I was going to add a crypt/basement but decided against it. So unless anyone has other ideas for what this is missing or would make a good addition I think I'll call it done.

jfrazierjr
12-26-2008, 01:34 PM
OK, I've decided to dump the whole skull mound thing and replace it with another faintly lit skull overlay.

I was going to add a crypt/basement but decided against it. So unless anyone has other ideas for what this is missing or would make a good addition I think I'll call it done.

Thats really nice! But.... where are the clergy going to live? Is there an outbuilding perhaps(not asking them to be mapped... just wondering)?

Steel General
12-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Thats really nice! But.... where are the clergy going to live? Is there an outbuilding perhaps(not asking them to be mapped... just wondering)?

Thanks....I actually had given that some thought, I didn't want to do outbuildings, so the non-undead ones (Dyrge does have some undead clergy) would live nearby and the undead could dwell in the cellar/crypt.

Ascension
12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
You crack me up with the avatars bro...can't wait to see the Valentine's Day one.

Steel General
12-26-2008, 07:51 PM
You crack me up with the avatars bro...can't wait to see the Valentine's Day one.

That one'll be a challenge :D

Korash
12-28-2008, 10:36 AM
*sniff*I am actually saddened that you got rid of the mound idea. I was going to suggest getting rid of the wall surrounding it and leaving the hill as it was. /*sniff*

looks really good with the mix of dark and pockets of light.

On where the clergy live, I had thought that they were living below the temple itself. Living and Unliving both. Think of the effect of the worshipers gathering in the dark inside the temple when, accompanied by a low deep chanting, one or two lines of dark clad priests come up the darkened stairs to join the worshipers. Sort of the avatars of the crypt coming to lead the service sort of thing

Steel General
12-28-2008, 10:51 AM
On where the clergy live, I had thought that they were living below the temple itself. Living and Unliving both. Think of the effect of the worshipers gathering in the dark inside the temple when, accompanied by a low deep chanting, one or two lines of dark clad priests come up the darkened stairs to join the worshipers. Sort of the avatars of the crypt coming to lead the service sort of thing

That's a good take on it Korash, maybe I'll revisit the idea of adding the lower level, we'll have to see.