PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Two Maps for the Republic of Dionysos

Ruedy
12-18-2008, 04:46 AM
In the last days, I create two maps for the Micronation "Republic of Dionysos".

INSEL HELIOS - ISLE OF HELIOS
Description: The isle of Helios is a nature protection area and part of the district of Milhet. Only on Helios live the typical Helios-Tiger, a white striped and big cat.
Creation: This map was made by PS and Inkscape. With PS I create the landscape an relief. The signatures I made with Inkscape.

NIEDERBERGEN
Description: The second map is a dictrict map of Niederbergen, a federal state of Dionysos. It's a mountained region, a little bit like the Bavaria of Dionysos.
Creation: The landscape is made with PS. In this map I used Wilbur for the relief at first time. With GIMP I prepared the relief for following use. The signatures are made by Inkscape.

Hope you like the maps,
Greets Ruedy

Vandy
12-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Hello, Ruedy.

Hooo, Boy! Have I got a lot to learn.

First, I am really impressed with these two maps. They are beautiful and very well done. Congratulations on your excellent work.

Now, if I may, some questions.

1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Ruedy, these are excellent maps and you should be quite proud of them.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Very nice Ruedy! Looks like they came from an atlas, or travel pamphlet.

Ascension
12-18-2008, 05:25 PM
These are very nice. The largest compliment I can give is...I have to learn how to do this :)

Ruedy
12-19-2008, 12:53 AM
1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?

Hi Vandy,
first I create a black/white heightmap, use the blur and export it into Wilbur. At Wilbur I use the filters for more Details, it's a lot of trial and error. ;-)
After that, I export it back to PS or Gimp and create the landscape with textures in a layer under the relief.

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I will try to write a tutorial for the guild with a friends help, who can articulate english better than me. :-)

These are very nice. The largest compliment I can give is...I have to learn how to do this :)

Thanks. :-)

ravells
12-21-2008, 01:17 PM
i too would love to see this tutorial!

NeonKnight
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Very nice indeed. Do they drink or produce a lot of Wine in Dionysos?

Ruedy
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Do they drink or produce a lot of Wine in Dionysos?

They produce and drink the fictional "Dionka", a brandy burned from the "Dionkawurz" (Dionka-Root).
It tastes like a mixture from italian Ramazotti and greek Ouzo. :)

NeonKnight
12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
They produce and drink the fictional "Dionka", a brandy burned from the "Dionkawurz" (Dionka-Root).
It tastes like a mixture from italian Ramazotti and greek Ouzo. :)

Cool. I just had noticed the prevalance of Ancient Greek Nomenclature in your lands.

Dionysos = Greek Goddess of Wine.

SO I was wondering if there was a correlation between the two.

Nerdling
12-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Dionysus is the Greek GOD, not Goddess, of wine and drunken revelry. His Roman name was Bacchus, which is the root of the word Bacchanalia, which is pretty much an orgy with booze.

On a different note. I really like the map, and a tutorial would be wonderful. Kudos to you!

Ruedy
12-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Dionysos = Greek Goddess of Wine.

Sure. Also the God of ecstasy and fruitfulness and this two attributes discribes the Republic specific.
There are many sex-orgies, booze ups and a own created party- and orgyreligion.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok. Ancient religion aside. Wonderful work! Give us a tutorial... Please!

Ruedy
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
The last map for the Republic of Dionysos.
I didn't want to open a new thread, so I post it in this.

This map shows the Region of Doiyran, used same technics as in the maps before. Hope you like it.

Ascension
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
That looks really good, much kudos.

Hoel
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I love your style. Very nice tourist map feel.
Please tell how you did it.

Turgenev
01-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Great maps, Ruedy! I love your style. Keep up the great work.

Torq
01-29-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree. Great style Ruedy. Clear and Artistic at the same time.

Torq

Towser
02-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I love your mountains! These maps are very nice!

The Good Doctor
02-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Drool! Cartographic craving!

Must learn to do this! Must learn!