PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Kimarnock's Ruhba -- Vandy's first CG Map

Vandy
12-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello, All.

Well, after some deliberation, I am ready to open a WIP thread in which I will document the progress of the first map I will be making at the Cartographers' Guild.

For no apparent reason other than I like the name, the map is entitled Kimarnock's Ruhba (or, Headland).

I have hand-drawn the map and have attached a copy in this message. I'm a bit undecided as to the direction I want to go with this map. I was originally going to follow Pyrandon's Medieval City tutorial and may still. However, I am so taken by the various styles of maps I've seen here, I really am not sure how I wish to develop the map.

I will be on vacation from this Saturday through January 4th so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to figure out how to deveop the map.

Certainly, any thought, ideas, comments, etc. are more than welcome.

Here, then, is Kimarnock's Ruhba.

Regards,

Gary

Redrobes
12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Cool - y'know theres a kiLmarnock (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=kilmarnock&ie=UTF8&ll=55.607542,-4.499073&spn=0.089304,0.209427&z=13) in Scotland with almost the same locale to the coast as you have it. You could take some geographical refs from that if you like.

Going to be interesting to see how it goes.

Vandy
12-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey, Redrobes.

Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate them. I knew there was a Kilmarnock in Scottland (that is, after all, where i took the name.. ;) ). However, I had no idea the terrain was so similar. Kinda freaky, huh?

PROGRESS ON KILMARNOCK'S RUHBA.

Well, I'm still not sure the direction in which I will go with this map but I do believe I need to at least "explore" Pyrandon's tutorial as regards to what I've drawn.

Attached below is the "latest mark-up" of the map as I envision it. The legend for the picture is as follows:

RED - Coastline Sketch
BLUE - Hills Sketch
ORANGE STAR - Original Castle
BROWN - Initial / Oldest Settlements
PURPLE - Main / Secondary Roads
GREEN - Original / Extended City Walls

A couple of things I see right away is that I'll need to make the canvas a bit bigger in order to better "fit" the walls around the northeast and eastern edges of the map.

The overall "look and feel" just seems a bit crowded to me. Then again, I'm use to working on maps on a regional scale and not a city scale.

I'm very interested in your comments, thoughts, constructive critisicm on this mark-up. Feedback is very important to me and I don't want to go much further ahead without a "good feeling" I'm on the right track.

Thanks to all and have a great day.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Vandy - You really can't go wrong following Pyrandon's tutorial. I think the mark up is fine for the early stage you are at. One thing you may want to add are "sketches" for forests and/or crops.

I look forward to seeing this progress *ready's red marker*

*Minor threadjack* - I would say between RobA's regional, Pyrandon's city, a couple of Ascension's, and bits & pieces of a couple of other tutorials is essentially where my "style" more or less evolved from. So stick with the tutorial(s) for the first couple of maps or so, then start trying and/or mixing different methods until you find the ones you ultimately are most comfortable with.

Midgardsormr
12-20-2008, 02:13 AM
I was going to ask what kind of terrain was going to be between the two rivers, but your planning sketch answers that. I'd expect that the rivers would act as a moat--the older parts of the city would be there, with light walls along the riverbanks and stronger fortifications on the eastern part of the map. Bridges would probably also be fortified, and there might be forts further upriver to control ford points. You'd not see those on this map, of course, but you'd see the roads. There would also probably be a good deal of farmland between the rivers, where it would be better protected from an invader.

Vandy
01-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi, All.

Just wanted to post a quick note to update y'all on the progress (or, lack thereof) I've (not) made on my map.

I have tried six ways to Sunday to get this map off the planning stages and just haven't had any luck. Mind, it's not the tutorial -- it's me!

Finally, I decided to go with "what I know" and used the SC4Terraformer application to create my relief map. THAT map came out great but I am having such a difficult time in trying to get the bump map placed onto my hand-drawn planning map.

I am so frustrated, I'm seriously considering scrapping this map and simply releasing it as a SimCity 4 map instead.

The biggest reason I say this is that I've now had time to realy investigate this site and the great threads in it. I have found so many difrferent map styles I wish to try and I'm no longer convinced that Kimarnock's Ruhba is the map I wish to use to create a map using all of the wonderfu styles I've seen.

I know I don't need your "permission" to scrap this map but I would appreciate your comments.

By the way, here is a 2D and 3D view of Kimarnock's Ruhba from SC4Terraformer:

8921 8923

Regards,

Gary

Midgardsormr
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I have to say that I really like this bit of coastline, but I fully understand the difficulty in getting a new map "off the ground," so to speak. Especially city maps--they tend to be much more difficult for me than regional or world-scale maps.

Ascension
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Ooo, if I had this as SimCity map, I'd spend all of my money building bridges...for some reason some sick part of me always wants to build bridges. Nice map and I think it could certainly be developed into a town, but as previously stated, all of those buildings can get tiresome. Put it into Sim and play it for a while then screenshot it and call it done :)

Redrobes
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
If I were tackling this then I would use my trusty ole do some contours and get the relief in then deal with the height map. This post shows it best at #9 and #10.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1273

Since you have the base contour done in the first post and now you have the color texture map to lay on top I think that your about 80% there if you wanted to go down this road.

If you need something to display it in 3D then I can give you this (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/viewingdale.pl?category=dragons_flight) free. You just save two bitmaps of the same size, a 'color.bmp' and a 'height.bmp' in the same directory as the app and run it. You might find that this will be able to put your terraformer bump map and color map together too. If you have any trouble then post the height map and ill show you.

Vandy
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
PERSONAL REPLIES

==============================================

Midgardsormr - Thanks for your comments on the coastline of Kimarnock's Ruhba. I do enjoy hand-creating maps. I have come to realization that starting off attempting to create a city map has been a bit more than I thought it would be. However, I am not going to quit on this -- rather, I shall finish the map.

Ascension - Well, "stick around" because I plan on releasing Kimarnock's Ruhba as a SimCity 4 map once I've finished rendering it.

Redrobes - First of all, thank you so very much for your kind words and wonderful advice. I have saved out your references and certainly will use them in future projects. Thanks as well for your ViewingDale references. I've played a bit with the referenced utilities. They are pretty cool.

==============================================

UPDATE

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, Folks, I want to let you know that for better or for worse, in sickness and in health....

< shuffle, shuffle >

Oh, CRAP! Wrong speech... ;)

Seriously, though, I do want to let you know that I am not giving up on this map. I intend to "see it through" to a completed city map and we'll see how it goes. As a first project, I'll try and make all my "mistakes" on it and learn from them.

I have completed my land elevations and water levels and have posted my progress to date. My next step is to start laying down roads and building city walls.

As always, your comments and critiques are always welcome.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Gary

Hoel
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I checked your sketch. Since I'm commenting on walls this month, I've got a few suggestions.
-Let the main castle's walls follow the height contour of the hill.
-The second layer of wall follows the river quite a bit, but on the wrong side. It would make an excellent moat.
-The narrow neck of the peninsula of the castle makes a good choke point. Put the wall straight across it on the ridge. This wall can also be used to block the southern river arm
-Put a redoubt on the eastern hill to deny it to attackers
-Put the northern wall at the top of the slope on the northern ridge instead of below it.
-I you pull in the left flank of the northern wall you can make it meet the northern tip of the peninsula. A bastion on each bank could block the river.
-The islands are very undefended, are there no threat from naval forces?
-Blocking the northern river arm at mid point on the map while letting the walls on either side follow the slope of the ridges makes a good killing ground. Enemies can be attacked from the wall perpendicular to the river as well as from the high walls on the ridges.
Made a sketch for reference
That's my two bits. Hope you can use it.

Ascension
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Don't worry about mistakes, I'm still making many of my own with a style that I've been doing for years. Every map I try to do something different and thus make even more mistakes...but that's how we learn, I guess. Unless we get Hoel to do up our fortifications for us (nice defensive layout there, bro).

Hoel
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
It probably has a few errors itself. It's the art of fortification rather then the sience.
I'm waiting for someone to make a map for a gunpowder world, then we can talk about sience.

Vandy
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
PERSONAL REPLIES

Ascension - Y'know, there's a silly thing about making mistakes. When your goal is to get to the top of a greased flagpole and (in your own "warped" sense of goals) there are no other options, mistakes have a way of really "tripping" you up! I do understand what you're saying and certainly will make my share of them. I just hate doing so, though...

Hoel - Thanks for the suggestions on defensive walls. I really like what you've suggested and most certainly will be employing / deploying a number of said suggestions.

================================================== =======

Speaking of city / defensive / fortified walls, I've searched through a number of threads here at CG and have found many different examples of city walls from very simple line art to a somewhat detailed top-down view of the wall. Is there a ready resource that one can use to make said walls or, is this something I need to create myself?

I'd much rather use an available symbol or object but certainly am willing to create my own if necessary.

Looking forward to your input in order to take the next step in getting Kimarnock's Ruhba completed.

Regards,

Gary

Hoel
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I make mine with one layer of lines for walls, with pattern overlay for at top down view. Towers go on a second layer. If it's a larger scale i might forgo the pattern overlay thou.
CD seems to have some tools for walls.

Ascension
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I just use a square pencil in photoshop and draw lines, then use layer styles, as hoel said...pattern, inner shadow, outer glow, color, etc.

Steel General
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
What Ascension and Hoel said...

Vandy
01-15-2009, 09:09 AM
PERSONAL REPLIES

Hoel - Thanks for your information on walls. As I'm still not completely comfortable with PhotoShop (CS2 or Elements) as I usually use PainShop Pro, I'm not familiar with Pattern Overaly and am having trouble finding it? I did follow your advice as to putting the various defensive elements on their own layers for ease in editing.

Ascension - That's pretty much what I did to "lay down" my defensive structures -- used brushes. I haven't done any finishing on the walls yet as I'm still trying to be somewhat faithful in following Pyrandon's tutorial.

Steel General - My above comments... ;)

================================================== =====

WIP UPDATE

Hello, All.

After studying Hoel's suggestions for defensive walls and structures, I've layed out the city walls and defensive structures I'll be using for Kimarnock's Ruhba.

Some notes on the below image:

1) The small "dots" along the walls are upper wall towers that stick out from the main wall.

2) As you can tell, all city gates (with the exception of the very inner keep) are doubled. The large squares around the gates could be though of as gatehouses or barbicans with a gate structure between them.

3) The squres attached to the ends of the city walls can thought of as bastions or barbicans.

4) The stand alone squares on the islands and in the south can be thought of as redoubts, a tower house or a guard tower.

Also, I've "grown" the canvas size for the image. Its dimensions are now 2300 x 1700 pixels. As you will be able to see, I've editied in sea and land cover for the extra pixels.

I do have a question for you concerning resolution. This is an area in which I have little practical experience as I've never really had an opportuninty to be much concerned with it. Currently, my map is using 72 pixels per inch. My questions are as follows:

1) What are the benefits of going to a higher resolution?

2) What are the drawbacks of going to a higher resolution?

3) What is the general "rule of thumb" when it comes to seting a resolution?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments and answers. Have a great day!

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I usually work at 200ppi and then scale it back (usually to around 125ppi to meet the megapixel limit) to post here.

Redrobes
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Vandy, I would recommend looking through some of this thread as those questions are answered at the top part of it.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2596

Basically it depends. What matters in your case is the total image pixels not the pixels per inch unless your going to print it. Then these pixels per inch will determine the maximum size you can realistically print the map out to. 100 ppi is about the minimum, 200 is ok, 300 is good quality. You can go to 600 if its black and white line art but its starting to get a bit overkill by this point.

Downsides ? Well memory on PC goes up with resolution. Also you might find that its a bit more work shuffling more pixels about.

Rule of thumb is determine what your map is for. 72 is ok for screen, 200/300 for print. If able, double these when working on the map and then do a slight blur and half size it for the final output (keeping your working version at the old double res in case you want to modify it).

So for this months map for print challenge 48x36 inches poster at say 200dpi is 9600x7200 and ideally you should be at double this until the final size. For an A4 map to print and hand out thats about 2300x1650 preferably doubled up to about 5Kx3K or so as your working size.

If your using vectors then all this is moot since vectors don't have a ppi until you raster them for printing or output.

Hoel
01-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Nice! You really took my sketch and ran with it!
-South of the northern east gate there's a small glitch in the wall where two lines doesn't connect.
-It looks a bit like the north and east wall are below the slope of the ridge, I'd pull it back bit there
-If you use paths and stroke them instead of drawing freehand, the walls will look smoother.
-I like the size of the towers compared to the wall thickness
-A round bastion or barbican is stronger than a square one (they were square on the sketch to separate them from the wall towers)

I don't know much about PSP, but in PS you have something called blending options, with things like drop shadow, bevel and stroke. There's also a few overlays, color, gradient and pattern. I use pattern overlay with a stone texture and another stone texture on a thin stroke to get my walls.

Redrobes
01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
In PSP you can flood fill with a pattern. Theres two boxes in the color tool bar one foreground and one background color. On each is a little arrow bottom right which opens up color type. They are No Color, Pattern, Solid and gradient. So choose pattern and pick one from the pattern swatch which includes all windowed images as patterns. So get some stone as an image on the screen and set it as the fill pattern and flood the walls with a nice stone.

Hoel
01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know if you can use layer masks in PSP but if you can, you can make a texture layer and draw the walls in the mask, should be the same effect as redrobes tip, but you can go and change the texture and res without changing the walls.

Vandy
01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
PERSONAL REPLIES

Steel General - Thanks for your input on sizing. I appreciate the information.

Redrobes - I really appreciate your explanation concerning sizing. I should have realized you had a great explanation already written. I do appreciate the information.

Okay. I understand much better now about "pattern overlay. I am well versed in PSP's fill and gradient options and should be better able to make the translation over to PhotoShop.

Hoel - I do wish to thank you for taking the time to review my WIP and point out areas of improvement. Thank you for your time and efforts. They are greatly appreciated. I've taken your comments and editied my map accordingly.

Masks are certainly something with which I need to get more familiar.

================================================== =======

WIP UPDATE

Okay. I've taken Hoel's suggestions and have fixed the glitch in the city walls where they didn't meet all the way; I've moved the north and east city walls onto the slope rather than in front of it and have changes some of the bastions to round shapes rather than square. As for the city walls, they will be "straightened" later in the tutorial.

I don't have a copy of my modifications with me today (at work). I'll try and post them tomorrow.

OFF TOPIC
I do apologize for this map taking so long to be completed. With my being on vacation over the holidays, time was at a bit of a premium. Also, we decided to buy a new computer over Christmas (so Christine could have hers back and I could have my own...) and I've been busy getting it set up and all my software reloaded (which is far from being done).

I purchased a Dell Studio XPS system, particulars as follows:
Intel Core i7-920 Processor (8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
Windows Vista Home Preimium Edition SP1, 64-bit
Dell 24 inch flat panel monitor
DVD-RW drive
DVD drive
8GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
750GB SATA hard drive at 7200RMP, 3.0Gb/s, 16MB cache
ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card with 512MB
Integrated 7.1 Channel audio
Hauppauge HVR-1250 hybrid TV tuner with remote control
Dell USB multimedia keyboard
Dell premium laser mouse
Dell All-In-One 948 inkjet printer

I gotta say, I'm loving it!

I intend to load GIMP, Inkspace along with PhotoShop CS3 and PaintShop Pro along with any other related map-making software I have so that I can go "full speed ahead" into the map-making world.

Chat with y'all later.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
01-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Oooooh new, shiny 'puter, gotta love new toys!

Vandy
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Hello, All.

It's high time I post an update on my map and let y'all see how it is shaping up. As I said in my previous post, I've incorporated quite a few of Hoel's suggestions.

After considering Redrobe's suggestions on sizing, I've doubled the size of the map to a working size of 4600 x 3400 pixels. I've chosed a resolution of 150 ppi.

The picture below is the redrawn city walls and change in bastion shape from square to round:

The picture below is with the primary roads added:

The picture below is with the secondary roads added:

Finally, the last picture shows the addition of bridges and docks:

I'm a little "iffy" about the bridges and docks. Do they look too big / wide? I would imagine a little wood texture when I'm finishing the map would be okay or, at this scale, should I leave them relatively alone and only enhance them with a small bevel / bump / shadow?

I still need to develop the castle proper and place it on the flat mount as well as start adding the city buildings. THEN, I can start shaping and smoothing the city ways, add vegetation and all the necessary items to properly finish off the map.

I will shortly be adding Klimarnock's Ruhba to my Map This! - Cartography Services thread (using a cross post link back to this thread) as this city map will have its counterpart as a regional SimCity 4 map.

As always, your comments, constructive criticisms, thoughts, etc. are actively solicited and thoughtfully considered.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Gary

Vandy
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi, All.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by double posting?

After I uploaded the above update, I did a bit more work on my map.

I've moved he southeastern bastion from the level plain to on top of the overlooking hill for a better defensive posture.

I've added four more docks:

1) A small open dock outside the south central gate
2) A dock on the northen side of the south central land mass
3) A large dock below the central plateau
4) A dock on the southern side of the north central land mass

Here is a plcture of Kimarnock's Ruhba as I've developed it to date:

Another question for you concerning the docks. Do you believe I should add small docks to the islands with bastions or leave them as is?

As always, your comments are welcome.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Gary

Hoel
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not exacly sure abou the scale at this point, but i think the docks look too wide. Thin them down a bit. That goes double for the bridges, they should not be wider than the roads.
Some of the walls look rough too, i'd recommend redrawing them with stroked paths to get the smooth look. Maybe it's not needed when you add some texture thou.

I think a few fishermen and maybe a pilot station out on the islands would be nice, and they would need at least a small dock to get on and off the islands.

Keep up the good work. I'll be checking up on you :)

Steel General
01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Definitely coming along nicely.

I agree with Hoel regarding the docks and bridges. Of course if there is a good reason to have such wide bridge(s) then leave them alone. :)

Smaller piers/docs on the outer islands would make sense if they are inhabited.

Midgardsormr
01-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Concerning docks on the islands: It depends on the topography of the islands and the sorts of things that you need to move to and from them. If you have catapults in those bastions, and there is insufficient stone available on the island, then you're going to need docks in order to provide the artillery with ammunition.

On the other hand, ballista spears and small supplies could be brought in on smaller boats which could be pulled right up on shore--no need for docks. It's all a matter of whether or not the additional structures are considered worth the investment. If the islands aren't providing any economic benefit, then it's purely a military decision (and subject to the military budget).

Vandy
01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
PERSONAL REPLIES

Hoel - As always, I really appreciate your comments and constructive criticisms. They are most welcome.

I'm really not sure I'm going to "bother" with a scale for this map as I've pretty m uch just "eye-balled" everything that I've placed on it. Cetainly, scale will be more important to me going forward on new maps.

I agree with you that th bridges are too wide and the docks too big. I've edited the size of both in the attached WIP.

As to the roughness of the walls, I know they are rough at this point. As per the tutorial I am following, I will be straightening them out in a near future time.

Please explain further what you mean about a Pilot Station.

Steel General - Thanks again for commenting. I certainly do appreciate it.

I agree that it only makes sence to have docks on islands that are either large enought to need / support them or are inhabited. Good input.

Midgardsormr - Hello and thank you for your comments and suggestions. I do appreciate your stopping by and posting them!

It certainly makes sense to have a means for military hardware to be transported to and from the islands as necessary. I've taken the necessary steps to support this transporation means.

As to the military budget to support such development, let's just say that Alec the Bold is not "hurting" for capital...

================================================== ========
WIP UPDATE

Hi, All.

I've taken the above suggestions and have what I believe to be a final working copy of Kilmarnock's Ruhba at this point in time.

You'll see that I have edited the docs and bridges for proer size as well as have added small docks to some of the outlying islands as well as added in tertiary roads on the same islands. I'm now ready to put a castle on the central plateau.

Here's the map to date:

Regards,

Gary

Hoel
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I can't wait to see this when it gets a bit of detail on the buildings.
Are you going to go with realism or symbolic? The color of the roads are a bit much right now.

A pilot is the guy who guides ships into harbors. He knows all the dangers in the harbor and where you should dock and so on. Very important man.
Since he has to board each ship, there's usually a pilot station somewhere far out where he can go out in a small boat to meet the ships.
It could also be a coast guard and customs station out there on the islands.
Some cities had immigration and quarantain facilities on islands too, Ellis island in NY for example.

Vandy
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi, Hoel.

Thanks again for your consistent and quite helpful comments. I do appreciate your taking the time to follow this map development and help me out with your expertise.

To quote Pyrandon, the author of the tutorial I am following, Kilmarnock's Ruhba is going to be more "imagistic" -- that is, more imaginative symbolic as opposed to being strickly realistic.

As to the Pilot -- DOH!! Now I understand the person you're describing.

================================================== ======

WIP UPDATE -- Starting to add buildings

Hello, All.

Here's Kilmarnock's Ruhba as of today. I've fillied in the main areas where the heaviest concentration of buildings will be and have started to "populate" the islands with individual buildings.

I've a question concerning the city gate areas. Would there be buildings between the two gates or, would this area be kept clear with possibly small guard houses? I'm not sure which would be correct?

Here is my map to date:

As always, your comments, thoughts, critiques are not only welcome but important to me. Thank you, in advance, for them.

Regards,

Gary

Hoel
01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Keep the courtyards clear, they were ment to be killing grounds if the enemy penetrated the outer gate. If you want some buildings, keep them up to the wall.
They often built buildings against the walls to a) save on building material (one wall being the castle wall) and b) to protect them from incoming fire.
The imaginistic tut... I've followed that too, first attempt is my St. Espene map and the second is my Burgenos map. Both are heavily modded.
Have you put the shadow layer below the buildings layer? Try putting it above the buildings, or above the walls. I think it brings out the height countour better.
When you start deleting the buildings to form streets, make sure you put it plenty of negative space and try to keep the size of the buildings consistent.
The best thing so far is the SE island, very good spacing and building size.
You might want to narrow down the main roads a bit, you'll se if you do once the buildings start to shape up.
Keep up the good work. Looking forward to your next wip.

Vandy
03-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey, All.

Just wanted to let you know I'm bummed out right now.

I FINALLY got a chance this weekend to start installing my graphics software on my new computer (running MS Vista 64-bit).

I can't install Adobe Acrobat Professional, version 8, Photoshop, version 7 or Photoshop CS3. I run the setup file then... nothing. I check the Task Manager and the setup.exe is running but that's it. I've even tried using the WindowsXP compatibility mode but it still didn't work.

The funny thing is I was able to install JASC PaintShopPro, version 9 and Corel's PaintShopPro, version XI without problems.

I'm going to look into installing the Virtual PC application then install a copy of WinidowsXP over it. Maybe then I'll be able to install those applications.

Consequently, I'm kinda "stuck" on going forward with the three projects I've got going at this time (this city map, my first world map - Jotunheimr and my temple - Krv Zrtva). I had planned on using Photoshop to further all three projects. Now, I'm going to have to continue using Photoshop Elements on my work laptop to try and complete the projects.

I'm so bummed out...

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Do you maybe have to run them as 32-bit apps?

Vandy
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi, SG.

I already tried running them as 32-bit WindowsXP apps but no joy.

Regards,

Gary

Redrobes
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I run 64 bit but XPx64 not vista. Still heres what I recommend with a little explanation.

With 64 bit windows there are Program Files, and Program Files (x86). So if you install to the normal C:\program files etc etc then depending on whether you are in a 64 bit or 32 bit environment depends on where they get installed to and thats not the same as running them as legacy 32 bit mode. Theres a system folder, a system32 and a SysWOW64 folder too now. Curiously (and only MS could do this...) the system32 folder contains all the 64 bit DLLs and the sysWOW64 contains the 32 bit DLL's - dont ask ! But its true...

So heres my opinion and it might save your skin - it ought to work anyway.

There are also two versions of IE. There is start menu / Programs / IE (32 bit) and start menu / Programs / IE (64 bit). Run the 32 bit one and launch the installer from IE. Again - dont ask why we have to use IE....

Anyway, the 32bit IE sets up a 32 bit environment before it runs so everything run from there goes into program files x86. The registry is also split into 32 and 64 bit areas and get that wrong and its not going to work so you need to be in 32 bit land and then install it. So run IE32 and install from that - its the only way.... (not really but its the easiest).

Try it - its worth a shot. I expect that its failing to install cos its putting all sorts of files into the wrong directories and not finding them and hanging.

I can boast that my app comes in two flavours 32bit and 64 bit native and I see that Joe's Wilbur does too. Not everyone seems to be taking up the slack tho. I don't know why tho cos its not a big deal to switch on a few 64bit flags and recompile.

Steel General
03-17-2009, 08:33 AM
That's interesting info RR, thanks. - I have no experience with the 64bit stuff (yet) so was taking the proverbial 'shot in the dark'.

Vandy
03-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi, RedRobes.

I tried your suggested but it still didn't work.

bummer...

Regards,

Gary

Redrobes
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Nach & bummer.

I don't own any of those apps that fail. You will need someone with Vista64 I guess then. I have never had any issues at all with any installation on this XPx64 yet people keep saying how 64 bit is flaky with stuff like this and registry and so on. My conclusion is that its a Vista problem not a 64 bit problem but it could be the combo of both too I guess.

Vandy
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi, All.

Thought I'd check in with you and let you know that I've purchased Photoshop Elements 7 and will be using that along with GIMP and Paint Shop Pro as my graphics editing software.

I've finally gotten back to my city map and have completed ALL my buildings -- both the "mass" buildings and the individual buildings.

I know that I have yet to "build" the castle as well as "clean up" the city walls and roads so give me some time yet.

Here is the map to date:

As always, any comments and / or constructive criticism is appreciated and actively solicitated.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Glad to see you 'back in the saddle' Vandy :)

Vandy
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi, All.

I'm so embarrassed that I haven't finished this map yet. It seems like I've been working on it forever. I just got to get a better handle on the available time I have. It seems that whenever I get some free time something else comes up and snatches it up.

I've finally finished "erasing in" all my buildings. Boy is THAT a time-consuming process!

My next step is to start on the castle. I may wait on that and do the city walls next.

Here is the latest WIP of my city map:

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
04-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Sucks when 'real life' gets in the way of mapping, doesn't it? :D

Ascension
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Time consuming...yes; looking real good...yes.

ravells
05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
God almighty, that erasing process must have taken ages.

If your buildings are on a seperate layer might be worth putting a black stroke around them in the layer styles. if the tiny roads are too tiny, you could upscale the size of the image so the one pixel stroke doesn't obscure the roads...just a thought.

It's looking really fabulous....keep going!!!

sorry, couldn't resist, I just had to put a one pixel stroke and an inner glow around ten thousand buildings at the click of a magic wand. Hope you don't mind me playing with your map. Had to kill the resolution for filesize though.

Katerek
05-04-2009, 05:36 AM
...just had to put a one pixel stroke and an inner glow around ten thousand buildings at the click of a ...

This isn't an attempt to hijack this thread, but Ravells, what are you talking about right there? I looked at the two images and I like what you did to his map - is there a tutorial or something you can direct me to?

On another note - I am really looking forward to seeing this turn out. I have been following this thread since the beginning.

overlordchuck
05-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Right here, my good sir: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530

guyanonymous
05-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Ok...silly questions in case they were covered...

Acrobat and Illustrator do some weird things when installing. Did you have antivirus turned off, and make sure that ANY programs that might reference acrobat/PDFS were closed?

In Vista, you often have to run setup files (or anything that accesses the Program Files directories (either of them) in admin mode to work. Did you try that?