PDA

View Full Version : City of Galanar Pass

landorl
12-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm currently stuck on my other city map, so I started the next one, which I will actually be using in a couple of weeks.

This is the initial drawing. This is a city in the mountains at the southern end of a major pass. I plan on doing some coloring for the background, but thought that I would start with the city, and then do the background a little later.

Anyway, this is what I have so far. I am doing my fields similar to the way that Gandwarf does his in CC3 because I thought it was a pretty cool effect.

Gandwarf
12-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Yay, another city map! This makes me happy indeed.

Very promising start. Love the height lines (curious to see how it turns out with housing placed) and forests. Fields are fine too, mine are very bright and distract from the city itself. Darker fields (like yours) is probably the way to go, but we will know for sure once you have placed the housing :D

landorl
12-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Now I have most of the area outside of the city walls done. I will now start to work on the city itself.

Gandwarf
12-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Your mountains look very good! I would be very much interested in some pointers or maybe a tutorial how to do those...

Funny note: you are working from outside to inside, while I am used to work from inside to outside most of the time.

Steel General
12-22-2008, 07:05 AM
This is coming together quite nicely.

landorl
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
The technique is pretty simple, but somewhat time consuming (I'm sure there's an easier way).

What I did was create a series of layers (In Photoshop) called altitude 1-8, by copying my contours layer. I then used every third contour line for each level. I erased all of the lines except for the one that I used for that layer, and then filled it and added a blur effect.

I also created a layer for rocky areas, and then drew painted some rock outcroppings, and used the blur again.

Looking back at it, I would probably change the color at every other altitude line rather than every 3, that would give it a little more dramatic change in the altitude. I may end up going back and doing that as I get this finished.

I haven't experimented with this in CC3, but I think that the blur effect might be able to do the same thing if you have multiple layers for the contours, but it becomes rather time consuming to create all of those extra layers.

Gandwarf
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the information, just too bad you didn't use CC3 to create the effect. I was hoping for something simple :P

landorl
12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I did some more work on this, and should be able to finish it off within the next day or two.

I have tried to do something a little different with the trees. I am not sure if I like it or not. I used a pillow emboss to give them a little more texture.

Gandwarf
12-22-2008, 04:14 PM
You made a spelling mistake: "Nothern farmlands"
(and Groto should be Grotto?)
Otherwise I am impressed.

Sigurd
12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Very clean style. Looks vector drawn.

I like it. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

landorl
12-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Oops, I guess that I should pay a little more attention to what I type!

Turgenev
12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I like how this map is coming together. Very nice work. Can't wait to see how the end product turns out.

Ascension
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I really like the layout, it seems very natural and random and that the city was built into the land rather than the trees n stuff coming after the city was plopped down. The scale is also nice in that there is more area to see and that helps the "natural" feel. What I would like most of all, though, is to see this done in some other application because this would sweet done in something more "real" looking. But that's for a later day. The layout shows that you have a very strong grasp of what you're wanting to accomplish and a strong understanding of the the geology/topgraphy of the area. Kudos, nice job and all those other things I usually say...plus this: gimme some more :)

landorl
12-31-2008, 11:31 PM
It's been a couple of days since my last update. This is almost finished now, so here is the latest version. I just have a little more work to do and then I will post it in the completed maps area.

Asharad
01-01-2009, 02:46 AM
Very Nice!

Gandwarf
01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Yep, looking good! You have made some great progress. It took me some time to adjust to the white houses, but I like them a lot now. It gives the map its unique style. I agree with Ascension, the layout of the city looks really natural.

Morkhdull
01-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I find this map very beautifull...

I like the way you treat level.

General look remember me the hârn maps...

GREAT :D

Redrobes
01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
This is shaping up to be a great map. The way you have done the rivers is exactly right and should be held up as a example. All the rivers flow perpendicular to the contour lines and flow down hill to the basins. I think doing the terrain before the rivers and the rivers before the city is so much easier than in reverse.

Your city layout is great too with nice blocks of adjoining houses. The white houses takes some getting used to but as a map its great but less like an aerial picture.

landorl
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
The reason that I have done the houses in white (and I may change them later) is because 1) they are simple to do, which is important when you to a larger map, and 2) because, I love the Harnmaster stuff, which they do their cities with white buildings, and it works pretty well.

I also like a little more artistic views than realistic representations. I find that if a realistic representation isn't exceptional, then it looks worse because it SHOULD look realistic, but it doesn't.

To me, the most important thing about a city map is that it looks natural, and it fits with the description and purpose of the city.

I am now working on the map border, and some other little details, and will soon post this in the completed area. This city will soon be the center of a power struggle of the ever violent Free States in my game world.