PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Newbie

aiRo25
12-23-2008, 09:13 AM
My name is S. Megan Payne, and my handle is aiRo25. Yes, the R is capitalized.

My primary interest in cartography is for my science fiction fantasy worlds that I'm writing about, plus I've always loved graphic design. For a year or so I ran a stationery company. Now I work as a dental claims processor for Wellpoint (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield).

I'm totally new to digital cartography, but when I was a kid, I drew maps by hand. They were also pretty aweful since I can only really do art on a computer and have it come out nice. I have no innate artistic/drawing talent, but I've got a knack for computer art.

Mostly, (due to aforementioned lack of drawing talent) I use Corel PhotoPaint, because my designs incorporate a lot of actual photographs, and I work from there.

Now to somehow apply these skills to mapping.

:?:

Steel General
12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Welcome Aboard!

NeonKnight
12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Midgardsormr
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
My suggestion is to start with the Zombie Nirvana tutorials. They're for Photoshop, but most of the things you can do in PS you can do with PhotoPaint, though it might take a little bit of experimentation to find equivalent tools. http://www.youtube.com/ZombieNirvana

Gimp tutorials can also be adapted to PhotoPaint.

edit: Oh! And welcome!

Gamerprinter
12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Mostly, (due to aforementioned lack of drawing talent) I use Corel PhotoPaint, because my designs incorporate a lot of actual photographs, and I work from there.

Now to somehow apply these skills to mapping.

:?:

Though I use Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2, I do use lots of photos in my mapping, so my tutorials and many of maps probably fit into your asthetic style. Check out my stuff throughout the site.

GP

aiRo25
12-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I will go ahead and check stuff out. Probably slowly because of Christmas, but thanks for the help.

aiRo25
02-01-2009, 12:47 AM
This is a sad moment, but a necessary one. I made slow progress in the first place learning mapping, but I'm going to simply have to bow out of attempting due to bilateral upper extremity tendonitis. Simply put, my arms hurt and I have to get off the computer.

Best wishes to continuing mappers. Wish I could be there, but it simply is no longer an option for me.

aiRo25

Ascension
02-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Well I certainly hope you feel better soon, hopefully you can still write your stories :)