PDA

View Full Version : Mercator experiment

Ascension
12-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Qbista had asked for ponters on 19th century style maps and I know that those alternate earth guys probably have much more skill at doing that style but I said I'd try to whip up a tut or something (in Photoshop since that is what he uses) and this is where I'm at so far. I downloaded the Africa map that he provided and set out to replicate it as best I could. The combination of a color and pattern overlay for the countries took by far the longest to get exact and of course putting in the text was time consuming as well. Let me know what you all think and I'll fix what needs to be fixed before writing up the tut. By the way, I know I haven't put the mountains in yet but that's a fairly easy part. The fonts used are basic Arial and Times New Roman with some minor adjustments to the height scale (80%) plus some bold and italics. The one font I couldn't replicate 100% exact was the word "equator" although I got it pretty close...it's some sort of typewriter font and I dumped all of those years ago. I'm attaching the Africa map from Qbista and my first attempt at replicating it in PS. A vector program might be the better option for doing the shapes and lines but I'm trying to do it only in PS.

ravells
12-26-2008, 05:58 AM
That's a really great likeness in the reproduction, Ascension! Could you post the .psd file? I'd love to see it.

Cheers

Ravs

Steel General
12-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Great job Ascension!

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Ascension
12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I zipped the psd and it's still 7 megs. My mail is AOL and I can only email a 5 meg file. Nevertheless, I'm ready to go with a tut unless anyone has some things that I need to fix with this. I'll give it a few days for replies and then up the tut.

ravells
12-27-2008, 03:08 PM
You can post the psd on 'Mediafire' which is a very good free file hosting site!

Looking forward to the tut!

Ascension
12-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's a lil preview of the map I did for the tut...now with mountains at no extra cost. All you pay is shipping and handling.

ravells
12-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Fantastic! Just a suggestion with the mountains though - the lines on that kind of mountain style (hatchure?) are usually tapered. Easy enough to adjust your brush settings on ps to accomodate for that.

Steel General
12-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Here's a lil preview of the map I did for the tut...now with mountains at no extra cost. All you pay is shipping and handling.

Lemme guess $9.95 :D

and I'll say it again, great job!

Ascension
12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Ravs, yeah I know what you're referring to but I did this exactly as it looks on the maps Qbista had provided...they must not have invented tapering yet back then :) I can put that in as an option though.

ravells
12-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I just took another look at the Africa map, and you're right. The artist doesn't use tapering lines!

waldronate
12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Nicely done! Two little things:

1) You might want to apply a blur or something to the outside gradient that you use to get the coastal lines to prevent them from getting too blocky. I'm not sure of the technique that you use but one of the things but I've used the blur trick to get rid of some blockiness in subsea areas of maps that I've used before.

2) The hachures aren't quite right in terms of direction. They should always be perpendicular to what the contour line would be at that point. Wikipedia has an article on the subject ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachure_map ) that might be of interest.

barrataria
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
These are pretty cool maps... should I be surprised that the fonts that look so good are TNR and Arial? I've been using the CC3 Mercator pack and have had a hard time picking appropriate fonts. I've been using Charlesworth on my homebrew maps, but I've wanted to use a varying font for some of the locations (perhaps cities and political borders) and haven't found anything that I liked. Thanks for the inspiration!