PDA

View Full Version : Burgenos WIP, as promised

Hoel
12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
As promised, the town of Burgenos. I'm not quite done, have some finishing touches here and there to add, and I'm thinking of adding some fields.
Any last minute suggestions?
I've tried to add a little ground relief and make the walls fit more with the theme since my last city map (St. Espene).
I've tested the tree-idea Asharad gave me and it worked great i think.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii146/ChristianHoel/Burgenos.jpg

Btw, i know the city layers are transparent and the coloring of the roofs don't work, I'll work on it.

aiRo25
12-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I have no suggestions, but I seriously like this map!

landorl
12-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow! This is cool. I can't think of any suggestions to improve this!

Asharad
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I like what you did there. The trees look great, and your relief on the hill side forts looks awesome.

ravells
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Wonderful! It's a lovely map, but ...not enough negative space for a large city. To my eye, it's too compressed. It is a beautiful map though!

Hoel
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I assume you mean the clutter west of the river. Thats supposed to be a large slum with ppl propping up shacks and hovels everywhere there's room.
The town grew out of the old town at the mounth of the river and the rich people got the east side by the castle and that became the nice part of town, with merchants temples and official buildnings. The west side grew from a small slum to a huge slum area, merging with the large farms on the southern hill and starting to spill out beyond the relatively new walls.

The star shaped fort on the hill is for the local Paladins of Heironeous chapter with 'modern' sloping walls and heavy bastions.
The older castle overlooking the sea is converted from a medieval castle

Oh, i really need to find a reason for the campaign to stop of at a sizable fortress, or find some other excuse to make a map of one.

Ascension
12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Just a couple of things I might tweak...the road out of town would probably not be paved so I'd make that a tan (dirt) or brown (mud) and the buildings are all the same color of Mediterranean style terra cotta; need some variation in there. The land looks superb and the trees look pretty good as well.

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 06:08 AM
I like it. However, I think there should be more streets. You have some bigger streets which divide the city in several large sections. Those larger sections should be divided again I think, by smaller streets. It doesn't look quite natural to me right now.

And I agree with Ascension, you need some different colored roofs.
Also, you might want to make the bridges stand out some more (by using a different, more stone colored grey).

I like your water, cliffs and general city layout a lot.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll go over the roads and recolor.
I want to find a way to repaint the color of the houses individually (most of the houses on the east side actually are teracotta, It's a romans-with-firearms campaign) but it's really too much work. I tried using clouds but it's too big.
I'm gonna post an update tonight.

Steel General
12-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Love the terrain, looks very natural.

As far as other critiques I think they've pretty much been covered already.

jfrazierjr
12-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll go over the roads and recolor.
I want to find a way to repaint the color of the houses individually (most of the houses on the east side actually are teracotta, It's a romans-with-firearms campaign) but it's really too much work. I tried using clouds but it's too big.
I'm gonna post an update tonight.

Are you using Gimp or Photoshop? If one of those, then read below:

Do you have a Channel for the buildings? If not, can you turn off all the other stuff(layers), select, and create a channel? If you can, then changing color would would be somewhat easy as long as you don't want specific buildings specific colors.

Create a plasma layer and then color map that to a gradient with the colors you want. Then apply your Channel as a layer mask and poof... different color buildings.

This also assumes that you bump mapped a 50% grey layer set to Overlay instead of directly on the layer with the buildings, otherwise, you would have to do your bump map again(you might want to get in the habit of using this technique since it's none destructive anyway).

NeonKnight
12-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I agree with Gandwarf, needs more streets. To my eye, if there are only a handful at most of major streets only, it would be sheer hell to ship goods/materials, people etc anywhere in the city. Also, sewage would be atrocious, as there is no way for the sewage to move out of the clustered areas of town. As an example check out this area of Italian Town/City of Campobasso:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.560185,14.659474&spn=0.008718,0.019312&t=h&z=16

As you can see, the building are clustered, but lanes/thouroufares/roads etc still exist between the buildings to allow trafic and goods to flow through various parts of the community.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
So, here is my progress.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii146/ChristianHoel/Burgenos2.jpg
I've tried some work with the roof colors, but i think i will stick with teracotta roofs. To much work to hand color every roof even if I have everything in nice ordered layers.
I went to town pretty good with my wrecking ball to create more space and i really like the look. Next city map will have a whole new creation method with several steps of creating roads and buildings and then removing them.
As you can see I've started on the fields. The process i'm planning is;
1. Solic colored dirt brown fields on a new layer
2. Erase wit a 3px eraser to divide individual fields
3. Trace some of the dividers with a 5px eraser for more organic look
4. Select the fields and contract selection by 2px and create new layer for crops
5. Paint crops with a 'bushy' brush with color dynamics set to alternate between different hue sat and bright.
6. Repeat 5 with yellow for grains, green for veggies and leave some fields brown.
7. use some form of BW pattern overlay to hint at furrows.
I'm trying this at the moment, if it looks as good as my tests suggest, I'll write a tut.

Oh yeah, I've rearranged the layers so the terrain bump and shadow goes on top of the city layers, what do you think?

Gamerprinter
12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Great job, GIMP obviously. I love the bump map hills, very realistic looking city with hills. Have some REP!

GP

Hoel
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry, missed that question.
PS CS3 actually. I'm thinking of GIMP but PS CS4 will have some cool stuff...

jfrazierjr
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Great job, GIMP obviously. I love the bump map hills, very realistic looking city with hills. Have some REP!

GP

Agreed. Two things stand out right now for me. 1) there is a bit of banding in the river at the large "crook" in the middle of the image. A quick hit with a fuzzy brush and the blur tool will knock that right out in seconds. 2) The island at the mouth of the river, where the bridge crosses the shadows are on top of the bridge. This makes it look like the bridge is warped. Might want to hard erase that on the shadows layer so it looks like the bridge is at the same level as the land around it.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Put the last bits in. Final here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3789).
Got the fields working and i used smudge to even out the bridges.

Korash
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Looking good! Slums are much better that the first one.

repped

jfrazierjr
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Put the last bits in. Final here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3789).
Got the fields working and i used smudge to even out the bridges.

Those fields look most excellent!

btw, you know you can upload your files directly to the site right? There is a file size limit of around 4.5 MB for png or jpg files and a limit of around 35 million pixels, but your map appears to be well under that limit. This also creates a nice thumbnail for people to view and they can click on it to see the full sized version. When you create a post, click the Go Advanced button and below the text input area is a Manage Attachments button (or you can click the paperclip icon above the text, right beside the smiley). Anyway, new popup window appears and you can upload your files, up to 5 per post. Alternatly, if you want to keep the file on a seperate site, you can point to a URL and said URL will be uploaded instead.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I link them in because a) I never have to worry about size limits if I decide to do a really large map and b) I use the same images for the campaign, so they're already online.
I just realized that some users may have limited bandwith so a thumbnail might actually be nice to them. I'll think about it

Larb
12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I really really like this map, it really has character and style. Most of the initial issues I saw in the first map got fixed as I read through the thread.
I personally think perhaps some of the buildings could use a little variation in roof colour and that the river shadow is a little too strong, but that is just my own personal preference.