PDA

View Full Version : December Challenge Voting - VOTE FOR TWO

ravells
12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Some very imaginative entries this month, but a less than happy turnout...11 entries means you can vote for TWO entries.

That is TWO entries.

Thank you to all the participants....great work all of you.

To view the thumbnails of all the entries...click here. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2066)

May the best map win!

bryguy
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
sad turnout this month, wish there were more

i really like sagens March of Brian the Foul :D

Just wondering, why does it have to be Brian?? why not some other name, like Nathaniel, or Charlie, or Bob? Why that name?

edit: lol something is wrong with the percentages it seems..... all of them that have a vote have 1, and thats about 5, and they all say 33.33%.... that makes 166.65%...

ravells
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I've met a few foul Brians in my time. Have to say, I loved Sagen's map, but it lost out by a whisker.

I suspect it might well be a winner though.

bryguy
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I've met a few foul Brians in my time. Have to say, I loved Sagen's map, but it lost out by a whisker.

i havent met any foul Brians :x

My sister has a friend whose brothers name is Brian, real nice guy

My brother-in-laws name is Brian

Couple of friends I had when I was a kid were Brian

Nope, never met a foul Brian :P

Gamerprinter
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice entries people! I voted for SG, because I like the concept and Bohunk's for the clean style and the more modern setting as something different.

I wish I could have done more for mine, but honestly, I'm a fantasy mapper, and after last month's space map, and my continuation with the BT maps... I am "Battleteched" out, after the last couple weekends of play, I realize I didn't miss playing BT as much as I thought.

Notice the dirth of barbarian maps lately - that's where my interests/inspiration went... :P

GP

jfrazierjr
12-28-2008, 11:21 PM
edit: lol something is wrong with the percentages it seems..... all of them that have a vote have 1, and thats about 5, and they all say 33.33%.... that makes 166.65%...

If I understand correctly, the percentage is how many voters voted for a particular entry, not total percentage of all votes.

Ascension
12-29-2008, 12:36 AM
I voted for Steel and Bohunk because they actually have arrows that show how a siege took place, rather than just a map of something. I actually had Sagen and Bohunk tied so I flipped a coin, sorry bro.

Ruedy
12-29-2008, 01:48 AM
I voted for Steel General, because it“s a detailed map and a fancy elaboration. And my second vote accounts the nice art-work of Map Vandal.

NeonKnight
12-29-2008, 03:04 AM
My votes went to Steel General and Bohunk, both maps have the details and I can look to the map and easily understand what is happening/going on, happened. Other maps I felt had good details were Gameprinters (love the Battletech), and Red Robes, but found that it just didn't have enough info there.

Good work folks, hopefully Jan will be a better month now that the holidays are over!

Sagenlicht
12-29-2008, 07:44 AM

Heh actually, while I'd like to win a challenge (well who doesnt ;) ) I dont think it will happen anytime soon.

Ok anyways, my votes did go to and why

Map Vandal - I really like his entry, maybe the graveyard could have been a bit bigger and I would have added some more depths/details to the roads but overall a great entry :)

My second vote wasnt easy, because I couldnt really decide between Bohunks, RR's a SG's map as all of them are quite unique and nicely done. In the end I voted for SG. I really like the map SG and the way you've told the story, only the rivers just do not blend that well.

Runner up's
RR's map would be my 3rd vote, I really like the idea behind it :)
Bohunks map is done nicely I just do not like modern settings and as I didnt have many votes I had to skip his map.

Other Entries
Mine - well actually I am quite happy with my entry. In the end there are always details you missed or could have been done better but thats why I do the challenges., I learn alot from them :)

GP's map - it was my fav but sadly GP hadnt the time to finish it.
Rovingjack - quite a nice idea, I just miss the superior force in it or maybe I didnt understand it :?:

torstans map looked promising but wasnt finished
Same holds true for bryguys map and Ascensions map.

Edit: hmm cant hit you with my repstick SG, must have repped you recently ;) same holds true for you Bohunk.

Steel General
12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
My votes went to Sagenlicht and Ascension with Bohunk's a very, very close third.

I know Ascensions wasn't quite finished but the idea behind it was great, tying in the holiday's with the map was very imaginative.

RPMiller
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Had to give my votes to Bohunk and SG simply for the fact that they complied with the challenge guidelines the closest. I liked all of the entries very much, but when it came down to picking the winners I had to go with the guidelines.

It wasn't as a big a turn out as in previous challenges, but the quality was still quite high, and everyone certainly deserves some credit for getting in entries during this essentially short month. Congrats to everyone!

mmmmmpig
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Rough month to participate, so kudos to all who did!

I went with Sagenlicht's and Bohunks, but SG's was a close third in my opinion. I will give my un-asked for C&C later (prolly tomorrow).

Great entries all around!

Bohunk
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I voted for Sagen and Steel's maps. Nice visuals on both.

aiRo25
12-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I voted for sagenlicht's and Bryguys. I saw the smaller and the larger forces and the map themselves were amazing to me. Not that most of the entries didn't get a wow from me, but I liked those two best.

Rovingjack
12-29-2008, 10:26 PM
steel general for a story like presentation that allows one to see events happening. I like it. Not a style I'd be very good at I think and maybe that is the appeal.

Gamer printer got my other simply because I like the perspective. I love me a good birds eye view map, and his landscape is lovely too.

joćo paulo
01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Bohunk and mapvandal both are good.

torstan
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Ah the holiday season and computer failure. I apologise for the non-completion of another mapping challenge giving me a rubbish 1 from 3 completion rate. My New Year's resolution is to improve that ratio significantly! At least I was able to sneak in and get a vote in before the deadline.

Well done to all those who finished maps this month.

MarkusTay
01-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Given my incredibly slow rate of work (usually), I doubt I'll ever be able to finish anything in time for a challenge.

But who knows...

Anyhow, this was a tough one, but I finally decided based on just which thumbnails I clicked on first - obviously those are the ones that 'jumped out at me' the most.

Bohunk's for 'realism' - it looks like it could have come from a history book, or newspaper article -
and Vandal's just on 'prettinesss'.

Note that on both, arrows were present - something I considered a must for this challenge.

Sagenllicht was a close third, but I feel the terrain completely over-powered the details. The stone kept pulling my eye away from the rest, which is a shame, because it was quite nice once I enlarged it enough to see what was going on.

Ascension gets an 'honorary mention' for originality, and Torstan's gave my inner gamer a 'warm fuzzy feeling'.

Sagenlicht
01-05-2009, 04:06 AM
As both SG and Bohunk ended up with the most votes I assume we got two winners this month?

Gratz to you both :)

Gamerprinter
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Bohunk and SG, we can't have ties here so I think you two need to fight it out, so no guns or other weapons, no biting or scratching - that's girlie style. Mano a Mano - let the winner remain standing. I'll referee this.

Are you ready to Ruuuuuuumble! Let's see some fightin'! :P

GP

RPMiller
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually I do believe it is a fight to the death. Two cartographers enter, one cartographer leaves. You each have choice of weapons - pen, stylus, or mouse with tablets available as shields.

Redstar
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Sagenlicht - you were close too! I thought you had a great map. Good luck in January. :)

Steel General
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Actually I do believe it is a fight to the death. Two cartographers enter, one cartographer leaves. You each have choice of weapons - pen, stylus, or mouse with tablets available as shields.

Mouse and stylus at 30 paces... do we get to name seconds? :D

RPMiller
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Mouse and stylus at 30 paces... do we get to name seconds? :D

Not only do you get to name seconds, but you get to pick the location as well. Of course you'll be required to map it out before hand. :)

Bohunk
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Map to the death eh? Sure I can do that...er...ah well...my mom is calling me, yea...well see ya guys later! :)

Gratz Steel and thanks for all those who voted for me.

Steel General
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Gratz Steel and thanks for all those who voted for me.

Same here... hopefully this month's challenge will have a better turn out.

Ascension
01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
It's already the 5th...talk about time crunch...oh and hey, congrats to you both...nice jobs :)

Redrobes
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Congratz you two. Nice maps all round.

RPMiller
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
It's already the 5th...talk about time crunch...oh and hey, congrats to you both...nice jobs :)

I hear you! Man, if those slacker CLs would get off their duffs... :x oh... :o yea, never mind. :oops:

ravells
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
We've never had a dead heat before, so I flipped a coin to see who would win.

It landed on the edge, which means that I win! Yay!

Seriously well done both of you for two fantastic contributions! You both win this month's contest. Three more votes to Sagenlicht and it would have been a three way tie!

I shall do the needful now, and thank you everyone for entering the December Challenge!

And a BIG THANK YOU for everyone who voted!

MarkusTay
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Congrats to everyone.

Including Sagenlicht - he only missed 'top-billing' by two, not three. ;)

Same here... hopefully this month's challenge will have a better turn out.What is January's challenge?

Also (probably not the right thread for this), have you guys considered spacing them out more, to up participation?

I had similar problems with something I used to do on another site (mini-exchange), and I increased it from three times a year to five times a year, and participation dropped noticably (you had to send and receive a miniature and fully paint it and post it before the next 'wave').

Just wondering if this was ever discussed.

Sorry for the thread-jack...

Arcana
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
hmmm...well, the "monthly" concept is really on eof the primary reasons we like it. And we're usually aiming for entries that don't take a long time to do, so monthly works good.

As for january...we've got a little surprise in store...but the planning is taking a little longer than we expected...hint: its sponsored.

Hoel
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Give us a theme so we atleast can start sketching..! :)

Gamerprinter
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
More hints... I am the sponsor - so this will be the map for print...

However, there is still a struggle going on, and I think its going to be a free form challenge - create whatever the heck you want/need. Region, city, dungeon, even a temple (SG) if that's what you need, something for your RPG campaign, or map for the novel you're trying to write. Anything goes -- but that's not "cut in stone" yet, so I can't be sure...

GP

PS: since I'm the sponsor, I cannot participate :(( - so that means I can only watch, comment and REP... :P