PDA

View Full Version : Burgenos, Regional Capital

Hoel
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii146/ChristianHoel/Burgenosfinal.jpg

This is the end result. WIP thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3782).

Ok. Here goes:
This is Burgenos, the regional capital and home town of my current D&D group.
The map is hand drawn in PS CS3. I've used a couple of different tuts from this site and also done a lot of experimenting especially with the fields and trees. Some notes:
-The buldings are a layer above the main road/paved area layer. I used a square brush with some size, angle and roundness jitter to make the edges, but at first it was a great big blob of color. I then went over it with an eraser to make building shapes. Then i used the eares as a buldozer to make the negative space, deleting buildings and widening alleys.
-There's two different countour/relief layers. One made from lighting effect filter on a heightmap and one is hand drawn shadows, those layers are on top.
-The ground is made from 4 shades of the same color and overlayed with a grass texture.

The western part of the city is the poor part of town, a big slum with lots of small shacks and hovels. The eastern side of the river is for the rich and powerful, with bigger houses and even a few parks. On the northern hill there's an old castle with some modern add-ons, since they have cannons in this world. The southwestern fort is home to the local Paladins of Heironeous order, and that's a modern fort with sloping walls and heavy gun emplacements.

Anything else you want to know? Ask.

Korash
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I do like the way the fields turned out!!

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Yep, the fields are very good! Repped.

Hoel
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe a subject for my first tutorial
Hope my players can appreciate my work as much as you fellow cartographers do.
Thanks for the rep!

Asharad
12-30-2008, 12:19 AM
I love how your forests turned out!

jfrazierjr
12-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Do you have any notes about the area depicted or your process you wish to share? If so, please edit the original post and put a paragraph or two!

NeonKnight
12-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Good work on the City!

Hoel
12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey, anyone got a nice tip for making lables on a cluttred map like this?
I'm thinking about using a font with numbers in circles, or hand making them (a bunch of work). I cant put them right on the map, and just numbers don't stand out. I've got about 30-40 places i want to lable.

Hoel
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
lable, label? I think label?

jfrazierjr
12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey, anyone got a nice tip for making lables on a cluttred map like this?
I'm thinking about using a font with numbers in circles, or hand making them (a bunch of work). I cant put them right on the map, and just numbers don't stand out. I've got about 30-40 places i want to lable.

One thing a lot of people do (me included) is to use a dropshadow or an outer glow on your text of contrasting color to make them stand out.

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
If I label stuff I mostly use a glow.

Gamerprinter
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I think its unanimous, because I prefer using an outer glow myself.

Make sure you use a readable font for your smaller labeling. Your title graphics can be as fancy as you need, still considering readability. The labels on specific structures, sites or areas of your city and outskirts have to be clearly readable fonts. Celtic bold is about as fancy as I get for label text.

On your glow stay consistent in color, however text over darker vs. lighter areas you might switch to white glow vs. a black/dark glow, whichever is appropriate. If some of your labeling must be close together, try to differentiate at least by placing text a bit higher, lower or otherwise off-set than the label next to it, otherwise it can get confusing.

That's about all I can think of...8)

GP

aiRo25
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I vote on glow. I like the finished map, Hoel. You're so much faster than I am. LOL

But I've been off the board (just lurking again) knee-deep in languages and writing for the last couple days and a project at work that's just crazy. Got to finish by New Year. :(

Great work! Wish I could rep you, but I think I'm still under 10.

Redrobes
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Good map, as others have also said, like the fields especially. I think the trees could be a little darker and maybe the grass a little more khaki so that there is more distinction. City is great too.

For labeling I would put text in for stuff at this scale and leave individual building labels to a larger scale map of that bit of the city.

Sigurd
12-31-2008, 04:43 PM
On a map like this, with potentially a lot of places, I'd opt for lower case letters on a coded colour circle.

Makes your pointer as small as possible without 2 characters after 9 points. The background circles can change for another info signifier. After that, you can change from circles to squares or whatever if you have more detail but the shapes are less obvious.

Sigurd

Who always likes a map without labels because my players would sail out to the your city title just to look under the letters :).

Nerdling
12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Kudos to you, I love your way of doing things, I especially love the grass/forest, it's spectacular.

Rep from me, sir!

Midgardsormr
12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
For a city map, I prefer a small number in a disc with a legend for signficant buildings, as Sigurd suggests, unless there is enough room for a full-sized label. I might put a more traditional label on important streets and/or districts, though.

I typically use a light stroke in a color contrasting with the text. I often play with the stroke's opacity and size to maximize legibility. Glows look nice on simpler maps, especially ones with symbols, but I think the extra area they obscure would be counter-productive on a map like this one.