PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Vangaul

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey everybody

Im starting on a new setting for dnd, and would appreciate any constructive criticism you can give me to improve on what i have so far.

The world is called Gaveroth. The world is named after the acient god of dragons. Originally, Gaveroth was content ruling over his race (red dragons) on the elemental plane of fire. However, he eventually became bored with the worshipers he controlled. Gaveroth sought his gaze on the new claim created by the god of nature, obad-hai. Obad had originally planned to construct a monument to the power of nature. However, Gaveroth was vicious, and was willing to do combat against the mighty god for the rights over the New Earth.
However, Obad felled Gaveroth, drowning him in a sphere of water that would later be the foundation of the New Earth. Gaveroth's skeleton provided the foundation for the world: Dragora was his mouth, Ossus and Vangaul the wings, and Lyon and the Shattered Coast his tail.

I will be posting wips of each step in my creative process. If you see any problems with the geography of the world, or can recomend some tips to make my maps better, feel free to shout up!

also, sorry if the images are bad, i had to screenshot them because my cc3 is being pantsy and wont save properly. :x

Gamerprinter
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Fix your Rivers.

And you did such a good job on your rivers on your other "first" map. I hate to write you up a citation, but the law is the law...;)

Eoinmorgan, you've got a couple of rivers on the south side of Vangaul that split downstream into two rivers going to the sea. This is geologically impossible. Forks occur when two rivers join into one - they do not fork downstream. A river will follow gravity to shortest way possible to reaching the sea.

A large slow moving muddy river often leave deposits of silt when it enters the ocean since the ocean doesn't continue the rivers flow. These deposites can cause the river to move its channel to better reaching the seas. This causes a delta to form. It technically is not forking downstream however - rivers never do that.

Also there is a river in Ossus the comes from the mountain and ends at a lake. Not that this is impossible, but you should have a river leaving the lake and going to the sea.

Other than that, things look fine...

GP, (Deputy River Police)

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
also, sorry if the images are bad, i had to screenshot them because my cc3 is being pantsy and wont save properly. :x

So far so good.
Anyway, I was screenshotting all my CC3/CD3 work as well. But you can actually render these babies in enormous dimensions and great qualities. Check it out:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=42240#post42240

Let me know if you need some pointers how to save your map.

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Here iv fleshed out the climate and vegitation.

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
gp thanks i actualy never knew that rivers couldnt fork downstream! now looking at it it make sense... so i can go back to making rivers that don't suk! yay! Im just gonna scrap the rivers and start over with em... i cant figure out how to rease individual ones...

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok. Here are my updated versions of both wips that show my new river schematics. I kinda had to deviate from the world map (i did not want to remake the vangaul terrain), but watever i will make it work.

gp if u see any other things about my geography i would love to know because they make my world more believable. Thanks.

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Im on a roll (hehe get the pun? i play dnd...) today! Heres an updated with vangaul populated with settlements. again, sorry about the small size... Mebbe when i start labeling i will post a link for the origional file so that you guys who have cc3 can view it up close.

jfrazierjr
12-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Im on a roll (hehe get the pun? i play dnd...) today! Heres an updated with vangaul populated with settlements. again, sorry about the small size... Mebbe when i start labeling i will post a link for the origional file so that you guys who have cc3 can view it up close.

Why don't you just export it in jpg format? I don't have CC3, so can't tell you the exact steps, but others here can (Gandwarf just found out how)

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 11:18 PM
An update with roads, country boarders, and nationality icons.

eoinmorgan
12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
even exported in jpg, the image is a certain size, so you cant zoom in anyways, or at least thats what iv found. But yes that would be good so that you guys could se the labels once i put them on.

Gamerprinter
12-30-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm not a CC3 expert by any stretch of the imagination, however I think what Eoinmorgan means is when you first setup your map file, using the setup wizard, you predetermine the size of the map.

On-the-other hand, CC3 is CAD so it should be able to export to any size. I also believe there's a way to select all your layers, increase the maps size and rescale it all - but I'm not too sure about that, ask NK or somebody else who actually knows!

I've created a half dozen maps with CC3, before I decided I already had software that could do what I wanted faster and easier. I have nothing against ProFantasy products (I actually have CC3, CD3, and DD3 or whatever their correct nomenclature?), I just Xara Xtreme instead, because I use it everyday, I know "secrets" using it and I didn't want to dedicate the time necessary to do the same for CC3 products.

Have NeonKnight or Gandwarf give you a better answer!

GP

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 06:40 AM
I'm not a CC3 expert by any stretch of the imagination, however I think what Eoinmorgan means is when you first setup your map file, using the setup wizard, you predetermine the size of the map.

On-the-other hand, CC3 is CAD so it should be able to export to any size. I also believe there's a way to select all your layers, increase the maps size and rescale it all - but I'm not too sure about that, ask NK or somebody else who actually knows!

I've created a half dozen maps with CC3, before I decided I already had software that could do what I wanted faster and easier. I have nothing against ProFantasy products (I actually have CC3, CD3, and DD3 or whatever their correct nomenclature?), I just Xara Xtreme instead, because I use it everyday, I know "secrets" using it and I didn't want to dedicate the time necessary to do the same for CC3 products.

Have NeonKnight or Gandwarf give you a better answer!

GP

Gamerprinter is right. CC3 is a CAD program so regardless of the size you create your map in, you can afterwards render it in very large dimensions. I only just found out myself how to do this in my bigger maps without crashing ;)

I am on my laptop again, so no CC3 here. But in the Save window, where your can name your map, you can also select the file type. If you select something like "rectangular selection JPG" you can click the options button next to it. There your can give the dimensions for your map. So what started as a 500x500 map for example you can turn into a 2000x2000 map.

After adjusting the dimensions you can save. You need to select the portion of the map you want saved by drawing a box around it (you saved as a rectangular selection). This is a good way to cut out stuff you don't need anyway. After this CC3 will render your map at the dimensions you wanted. This can take a while if it is large map with many objects. And the higher the dimensions, the longer it takes. Ten minutes for my larger maps.
Oh, don't forget to turn on sheet effects before doing this.

If CC3 crashes while rendering, your computer is probably out of memory (I think City Designer 3 mostly has this problem). There's a way around that problem and it also makes for much for faster rendering. The trick is to turn your map into a PDF. You need some free software to do this. The proces is detailed on the Profantasy forum:
http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=607&page=1#Item_14

loongtim
12-30-2008, 07:00 AM
You can also set a standard export size if you want. Since I export most of my maps at the same size, this works well for me and I don't need to adjust the size every time.

Click on Tools > Options and the Options dialogue will pop up. In the upper left corner you'll see the Import/Export Options. Click on the 'BMP, JPEG, PNG' button to get the export options for your images. Here you can set your desired height/width for exporting.

*** Bonus tip - if you always want your files to have the same width or height, set that option to your desired # and set the other one to something astromically high. For instance, I put all my maps on the web so I set the width (horizontal pixels) to 800px. My height (vertical pixels) is set to 99999px. When I save a file, the width will be 800px no matter what, and the height will crop down to whatever relative value is implicit in the map (e.g. taller maps might be 1000px tall while horizonal maps might only be 600px tall).

Midgardsormr
12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Good tip! Have some more rep.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Im going to try that on my next upload, gandwarf. It will have labels, so you will need to see them. Thanks!

nikes
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
And you can also try to make some place in the forests (remove some of the trees) and put there a few less simple tree symbols so you can easily put the construction symbol into it, there won't be feeling about it like if the building is build on the top of the forest.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Nope. My system crashes when trying an export (after i hit save, before i select the area). It shouldnt... I have 2 gigs of ram. Stupid Vista.:x

The Pdf thing is too complicated, and the download link is a dud for me.

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Download this version of PDF Creator:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_pdfcreator/tech/3635/
(to download click on the link next to the large green arrow to the right)

Then follow these steps:

1. In CC3 set Tools >> Options Resolution Divided by to 2.
2. Now print your map and set the printer to PDF Creator.
3. Click Properties >> Advanced, set the resolution 600dpi, and the paper size to letter.
4. Print your map.
5. You will get a PDF Creator dialog. Click Options and choose PNG, set the resolution to 600 dpi.
6. Click Save, pull down the file type to be PNG and and type a file name.

It's pretty easy and you'll avoid the crashes.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay, so i gor screenies that are big by removing all toolbars from cc3 and then deviding it into 2 parts. In paint, i pasted them back toggether (hence the red line in the middle :roll:). SO EAT THAT CC3 I WIN MMUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

yay :)

by the way i hate naming towns... its evil

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Gandwarf im gonna use my new method cuz i don't have much space on my computer and i dont want another program. Other than that i would. + this way all of my stuff is jpg, and its easier to organize.

Korash
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Just a quick suggestion or two...

I would suggest toning down the color of the grid lines a bit as they seem to draw the eye and ppl have to look "past" them to the rest of the map.

also some of your symbols look to be placed under the rivers. Maybe try putting the symbols on the top layer, or at least above the river layer.

Great map otherwise 8)

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeh iv noticed the rivers, but i cant see how to change them. As for the grid, i can change that. Thanks!

Steel General
12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I would suggest not using red as a font color against a mostly green background, it might just be me, but the large red text tends to bleed into the background making it difficult to read.

Otherwise the map is quite nice.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
In the final, i have a white glow around the text, separating it from the map, so it should be better.

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Gandwarf im gonna use my new method cuz i don't have much space on my computer and i dont want another program. Other than that i would. + this way all of my stuff is jpg, and its easier to organize.

The red line is too bad...
PDF Creator can also save as JPG. PNG was just an example.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
OOH, realy? that sounds great! u shud have told me before...

imma go do it now :)

*Grovells at Gandwarf's feet**

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
That doesnt work either! When i hit print, the print window closes, and a small dialogue box saying "cancle printing" and a button saying cancle come up, and all i can do is hit the button...

untill then, heres a screenshot with effects added

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Don't hit cancel! PDF Creator is printing the file to PDF first. This can take several minutes on bigger maps. As soon as it's done you will get a new window where you can save as PNG, JPG, etc.

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
oh, so i was just being impacient. Yeh, sounds like me. Can i "print" from my laptop where it is not connected to a printer, or will it actualy print an ink copy of my map?

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
oh, so i was just being impacient. Yeh, sounds like me. Can i "print" from my laptop where it is not connected to a printer, or will it actualy print an ink copy of my map?

When you print, make sure you have selected "PDF Creator" as the printer. Then it won't print an ink copy, but print your file as a PDF. This is the way PDF works, its "printed" as a digital file :P

When the PDF is done "printing" you'll see a new window. Don't forget these steps:

5. Click Options and choose PNG, set the resolution to 600 dpi.
6. Click Save, pull down the file type to be PNG and and type a file name.
(or both JPG if you want!)

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
ok, thats what i thought. Im going to try it again, and i wont hit cancel

eoinmorgan
12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
lol. its getting interupted by autosave. lemme turn that off...