PDA

View Full Version : Eilingeissen a hamlet by a monastery

Morkhdull
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I made this map with Fractal Mapper 8 (FM8) wich is my favourite mapping software... Enjoy... Comment welcome :)

Following maps in 2009

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Yay, more city maps :)

I like it a lot! I love your water and that water mill. Although the water is behaving a bit strangely I think by forking or is there a reason for that (maybe a spring or something)?
The large building on the hill is some sort of keep or castle?
Very well done, have some rep.

Oh, and I wanted to say the map looks really crisp. No jaggies, like in most of my CD3 maps :)

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Doh, the large building is probably the monastery. I didn't read the title of your thread I guess :)

jfrazierjr
12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I made this map with Fractal Mapper 8 (FM8) wich is my favourite mapping software... Enjoy... Comment welcome :)

Following maps in 2009

Very nice! You have done Fractal Mapper proud(it's what I started with)! Would you mind exporting a larger version to upload, perhaps 1500 by x?

Rep++

jfrazierjr
12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
I would think about coloring the legend scroll tanish and perhaps adding one of the textures to it to give it a parchment look. It kind of stands out with the pure white on such a nice colorful map. Personally, I would like to see a blue color for the water, but that's just me.

Have you posted this on the NBOS forums(email list actually)?

Steel General
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree with JFJr, I'd prefer to see blue water or even a blue-green, with the current color it seems more like mud. Of course if there is a specific reason for it to be that color than just ignore this.

Overall a nice piece of work.

Midgardsormr
12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Feels like home to me. All the rivers in Kansas are brown.

I'd expect the mill to be next to the waterfall--there is more power available there.

Talroth
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd expect the mill to be next to the waterfall--there is more power available there.

Depends on the mill, building next to a falls/rapid would be harder than where there is a steady, but slow, flow of water. Now that you've mentioned it, I don't remember seeing any underflow water wheel being built close to a water fall. And overflow water wheels (ones where the water is poured into the wheel from above) tends to still be built down stream a little, and water diverted by a short aqueduct.

Hoel
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice. I agree with the other posters. Not as jagged as most vector maps, and the mill should be by the falls.
Think about what a quick run through PS or GIMP might do to it!

jfrazierjr
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Morkhdull, if it fits, would you mind zipping your *.fmp file and upload here? Did you create any of the symbols or are they all stock FM8 symbols. It's hard to tell based on the size...

Morkhdull
12-31-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi all, thanks for all comments...

Here's a larger version of the map...
For water colouring, I'd like to give a murky climax to the scene. Choice can be discussed, of course... I decided to put the mill not so close to the waterfall, but you're right : a small aqueduc should lead water.

As mentionned, I coloured the parchement.

To finish, the symbols are PNG files found in the dundjinni forum and puted in the files of FM8... So easy ;)

What do you think about ?
Mörkhdull, en route to 2009

Midgardsormr
12-31-2008, 05:32 PM
True; it would be more difficult to build there. Many of the mills I am familiar with used a man-made dam to form a mill pond and direct the full stream over or under the mill wheel, thereby maximizing the power available to the mill. But then, the number of medieval mills I am familiar with is vanishingly small! Most of what I know was gleaned as I researched for a map of my own a few months ago.

For a mill placed there, I'd probably narrow the channel to force more of the water to move under the wheel. Stone retaining walls on each bank to channel the water, and then put the bridge over that, since it can share its footings with the walls and also be much shorter.

As it stands, though, it is a fine-looking map. I'd like to see some labels telling us what some of the buildings are, though.

Talroth
12-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, how the mill is built depends on how much energy is needed. In a modern times you usually want to maximize the power produced, but in a medieval mill there is no need to harness more power than you can actually use to turn your grind stones, or whatever the mill is running.

Morkhdull
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
"BURNNNNNN THAT MILLLLL..."

As Mörkhdull the great orc warlord yeld, while his warriors cross the murky river...

Damned, we'll never know why this mill was build at a so bad place

LOLL