PDA

View Full Version : Halfling village

Hoel
01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's my current project. A halfling village with some human buildings.
I'm going to add trees an brush and etrances to the hobbit-burrows and a field or two. Most of the terrain will be forested over, so the texture will be hidden. And i will add some sand banks to the stream
What do you think?

Steel General
01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Great start, look forward to seeing the finished product.

Redrobes
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Excellent. Would you be able to donate this map to the CWBP when its done. I was looking for one just like this for a map of Hafton Shire on my CWBP tile.

In this post are two images. The one on the right shows a path out of Fentor Cross and then there is a track north finishing at the foot of the Fentor Hills. On the image you can see half of the letters H and S for Hafton Shire.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=17805&postcount=4

Ascension
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Lookin good so far dude.

aiRo25
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I love the texture and the rollingness. (is that even a word??)

Very nice.

Hoel
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Sure I can donate it. Didn't really see where it was supposed to go, but I'll look into it. I haven't taken the time to look the CWBP over yet, but I will

Hoel
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok. almost done. Just putting it up here to see if anyone got any input before i mark it final.
I considered fields, but decided against it.
The story makes this the capital of sorts in the halfling sub-province and the town collects taxes from the surrounding farms and villages, mostly in the form of sheep, cattle, grain and veggies. They have some small coralls surrounded by old overgrown fences (the bushrows) for keeping the cattle before sending it off to Burgenos. One of the characters in the campaign is the son of the halfling chief (lives in the Folius clan estate). The group are going to go visit the halflings and find out that some goblins are stealing the cattle from nearby farms. Later they will find a shield made from a pice of dragon egg. The gobbos are stealing cattle to feed two young red dragons that they've found.
Dragonhunting for fun and profit. Will make a similar map over the gobbo encampent and dragon cave up in the mountain.

Gandwarf
01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Beautiful map again, Hoel. I love the greenness of it :)
And cool story.

The-Somberlain
01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Very nice map!

One comment though, if I may: I think the forest/trees are quite overwhelming and the viewer has difficulty focusing on the village.

Also, what's your scale?

Steel General
01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Great work Hoel!

My only very, very minor nitpick is that the numbers on the buildings, etc. are very difficult to read (at least for me).

Hoel
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm notoriously bad at scales. But i think the roads are supposed to be between 1 and 5 meters or so. The houses are small, but they are small people.
It looks like a very small village, but since my halflings live in clans in huge underground burrows, every household and burrow can contain up to 100 halflings.

I'll see if i can make the numbers more clear, and I've drawn an actual bridge now, instead of just road-over-stream

Oh. And the Cock & Bull is the tavern. If I ever relize my dream of opening a pub, it will be called the Cock and Bull, every campaign has a Cock & Bull somewhere, usually the nicest place in town.
/Hoel -never kills his darlings

Redrobes
01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Sure I can donate it. Didn't really see where it was supposed to go, but I'll look into it. I haven't taken the time to look the CWBP over yet, but I will

Cool... and allow me to show you (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD_Demo3/HastonShire.avi). :)

I will have to fill in some regional levels around that area now. Bit of a gap between the levels now.

Hoel
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Aaaaww.. so cool.
Really!
do you need anything else in the area? I'm doing a gobbo encampment, and i guess i could do a couple of more villages

Redrobes
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't know - whatever you like really. Theres the CWBP wiki to read up on whats been done in the area so far. Gobbos would fit in fine as long as they wern't on the main merchant routes and Hafton Shire is waaay off so anything goes. Its not really the right climate for red dragons but within caves well maybe. Theres Thrub hills to the North of the shire. If word gets out that theres red dragons in the area then calvary form the forts would come in. But thats what would be in this land. Do you have any campaign world that it should fit into ?

Hoel
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Most maps so far has been for my D&D irc campaign, there's a continental map, a map of the empire of moenia and three city maps up. Halfling villages is fun to make, so I could churn out a few more. They would probably not be used in the campaign
The gobbo/cave map will be used for the next adventure and the map itself will not feature any dragons. They are far in the cave, or if you'd like they're still in their eggs.
I was thinking of putting a great big dragon skeleton outside thou, the gobbo chiefs hut in the head or something.

loydb
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Preeeeety.

Korash
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Can I steal that story hook? Please? Can I? Huh? Huh?

I would just insert Kobbos instead.

Great map too ;)

Repped 8)

Damn, seems like I need to rep some more before bonking you again :(

Hoel
01-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Steal away. It's not like I'm getting payed or anything.

Redrobes
01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Most maps so far has been for my D&D irc campaign, there's a continental map, a map of the empire of moenia and three city maps up. Halfling villages is fun to make, so I could churn out a few more. They would probably not be used in the campaign
The gobbo/cave map will be used for the next adventure and the map itself will not feature any dragons. They are far in the cave, or if you'd like they're still in their eggs.
I was thinking of putting a great big dragon skeleton outside thou, the gobbo chiefs hut in the head or something.
Brilliant, all sounds great.

Long long ago before I started writing my app I wanted a land where people contributed their adventures to it and we just popped them in somewhere reasonably relevant and then any GM could go to this land and see where the party were and have options for adventures that had already been written by people. I would hope that the CWBP would become such a place.

The chiefs hut in the skull of a dragon would be a cool thing. We have had a party hideout and an inn done as skulls in the past here. I could see buildings and stuff being made out of giant bones. Must be possible to find a skeleton to use like a dinosaur or a lizard skeleton too.

Hoel
01-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Robbed the dundjinni forums for a bit of reference material. Found some good huts and a t rex skeleton there.
I'm now in the lookout for dragon skeleton references.

Asharad
01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I like this map.

Sagenlicht
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Erm I know I am a bit late, but I didnt have much time in the last month :(

This is a great map Hoel, The trees are stunning and I'd like to know how you did the buildings. Are they completly handdrawn or did you use any filters on them?

I assume you did the trees the way you did describe it in your January Challenge Map, and I am not sure that GIMP can do this but let me say it again, the trees are stunning :)

Hoel
01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
The buildings are my own hand drawn elements that I resized.
The burrows are made with bevel and texture overlay and the trees are as you say; same as in my Carlsborg map.