PDA

View Full Version : January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Gamerprinter
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Well this my first time in posting a Challenge, as well as sponsoring one! For those who don't know, I own and operate Gamer Printshop specializing in printing RPG maps in full color large format prints that are laminated and shipped worldwide. I make maps too, of course! ;)

This month we want you to design a map that is fitting to hang on your wall, or grace the gaming table with. I will print in full color the full size map of the Winning Entry, laminated and shipped to their address, worldwide.

The Winner will receive their map printed and included in the Cartographers' Guild section of my Ecommerce site for sales to the public. $2.00 from each purchase will be donated to the Guild.

The theme is Create a Map for your RPG campaign or fantasy novel - create a map that best fits your needs! Anything goes, this is a FREE FOR ALL theme. Do you need a city map, a regional map, and encounter map for your next gaming session? Anything qualifies.

Post a "placeholder" map to show WIP progress if you can.

The minimum criteria for the final map is at least a 100 ppi JPG sized at 24 inches by 36 inches (at least 2400 x 3600 pixels). This map is intended for print, so it has to be big. Maps are not limited to 100 ppi, however, I will accept maps up to 300 ppi, but this is not a requirement.

To make this challenge more special than one with a Prize, we hope to get many participants. Because I am the sponsor, I cannot participate.

Good Luck, everyone! I hope you're the winner, so I can print you a map!

GP

PS: once a winner is chosen, I will contact them and make arrangements to obtain the file for printing purposes. I will respond to any questions that you may have in this thread.

Nomadic
01-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Awesome, sounds like alot of fun. Best of luck to everyone that participates. I can't because my computer can't handle even the minimum size (a bit depressed about that :( ). However, I will keep up on all the maps that do get posted.

Gamerprinter
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Since its still early, I could amend the map criteria to 18 x 24 (1800 x 2400) but I really don't want to get smaller than this - lets get some more responses to this for a final consideration.

GP

gorkamorka
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
EDIT: Map gone to its own thread.

Midgardsormr
01-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Awesome, sounds like alot of fun. Best of luck to everyone that participates. I can't because my computer can't handle even the minimum size (a bit depressed about that :( ). However, I will keep up on all the maps that do get posted.

Sounds like a good opportunity to try out Inkscape or another vector drawing program. Vector images are resolution-independent, so once the map is complete it can be whatever size you desire.

Korrigan
01-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Awesome ! I've been working on mine for two months (since the idea has been announced) and mine is almost finished, now ! The PS file is 10800 x 7200 at 300 dpi (or ppi, or whatever).

I'll post it very soon... I can already tell you it is the map of Lorac, my own D&D world, and I designed it in a "clean and clear" way.

Check out for I will need your help with one or two details...

Nomadic
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Sounds like a good opportunity to try out Inkscape or another vector drawing program. Vector images are resolution-independent, so once the map is complete it can be whatever size you desire.

The only vector program I own is flash 8 and I don't want to use that for mapping (ick). The smaller size that GP offered though will work. My photoshop is able to survive using it.

Valarian
01-06-2009, 03:19 AM
In the interests of preserving board space and bandwidth, wouldn't it be a better idea to post a smaller map for judging and then the winner to send you the full sized map for printing?

Sagenlicht
01-06-2009, 03:58 AM
I've got a dump question for this months challenge :)

What are 24x36 inches in cm? You know a small part of this wolrd uses a 'strange' decimal system :D

Nomadic
01-06-2009, 05:44 AM
I've got a dump question for this months challenge :)

What are 24x36 inches in cm? You know a small part of this wolrd uses a 'strange' decimal system :D

Roughly 60cm x 90cm

Hoel
01-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking of making a map of Carlsborgs Fortress in 1890... No restrictions on making a real world map?

Arcana
01-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I would like to add that maps that have PREVIOUSLY been posted here should not be submitted as entries. We'd like for ONLY new maps to be made specifically for this contest. I know some of you may already have a masterpiece tucked away somewhere that you'd liek to submit, but resist the urge ;) This is for new content ;)

Bohunk
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Has the restriction been lifted so that we can upload a 24x30 map at 300px?

Arcana
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
nope...sorry...its a software/server thumbnail generation limitation of the site itself.

For judging purposes you'll need to submit a smaller version of the map, and the full size version for print will have special arrangements made by GP for uploading.

bryguy
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
oh noz! thiz will be hard for me... im not good at choosing stuff!!!

So many things I could do! How to decide??? Should I do space, parchment, earth, fantasy world, pirate map, the list is endless!!!

@--> Sagen

It is (i think) exactly 60.96cm x 91.44cm

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm glad to see so many responses to this Challenge posting.

1. I've decided to allow 18 x 24 (1800 x 2400) pixel maps, especially for those using Photoshop or GIMP, as bigger maps seem to crash those applications. So its up to you whether you want to create an 18 x 24 or 24 x 36.

2. Sagenlicht - I'm just so used to RPG maps being measured in inches, or WotC scale being 1 inch = 5 feet, I assumed worldwide - everyone who plays RPG know what an inch is.

3. Hoel - realworld maps is perfectly acceptable, no one ever has to produce a fantasy only map. Cartography is cartography, just create a map for us!

4. Bryguy - do you play an RPG? If so, is there a location that is especially important to your fellow players, or will there be a major location for your game early this year? Make a map that you can really use in your game and one that will be appreciated by your GM and the rest of your fellow players!

I understand that not everyone uses the same or same type of applications, and wouldn't want everyone to use just one type of app. Having said that, I just wanted to let you know, every map I post on the Guild, whether a challenge map or other map of my own posted in the WIP or Finished Map threads are always in large format. Anything from 18 x 24 up to 36 x 48 and larger all at least 100 ppi, in some cases 200 ppi. These dimension and resolution selected at export. I can just as easily create 36 x 48 at 300 ppi everytime - with no issues of crashing from my PC, and it isn't as robust as many of your PCs. Xara is primarily vector so file sizes are extremely compact.

The maps specifically for VT apps, which require easily transferred digital files, and those most recent Lands of Crae map which are 11 x 17 only because I hand-drew them at 11 x 17 are smaller than normal for me.

Anymore questions? Feel free to ask.

GP

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Great, Jan challenge is live. I'll probably enter something for GP to sell but I don't think I need any printing done so ill probably let somebody else get their map printed. House is already full of stuff and if I get to play these days then its all digital now.

Some interesting points to note tho is that as a commercial enterprise you will not be able to use other peoples creative commons - non commercial stuff unless you can get the originators express permission.

And we have had people worried about doing a map. Yeah, just do a vector one. Save it as a PDF or an SVG type and run with that instead.

I'll probably do a battle map for play on the table top with miniatures so that would be a nice big area to go for. I'll probably try to combine a lot of what I have managed to get right so far to this point. Like scripted tiles, contours & terrain etc. Not sure exactly what tho.

I'll run the thumbnails again this month (until Arcana gets the auto thumber going...). I don't want to keep downloading 10K square sized maps tho ;) In the past I used to make 4K WIPs but its all a bit silly. So now my WIPs are about 2K max otherwise its like looking at them through a microscope.

I expect that with such an open ended criteria and a prize that this will make for the biggest turnout yet.

Edit -- Oh yeah, type "36 inches in cm" into google (the normal search engine request) and it will tell you the result. It has a built in calculator with many compatible units. As in
"36 inches in leagues" gives 36 inches = 0.000164578834 leagues for those people who game in leagues, or 36 inches = 0.00454545455 furlongs if your so inclined ;) Flippin eck it is complete isnt it.... 36 inches = 9 144 000 000 angstroms... Nach failes for "36 inches in roods" :D

Oh and 36x24 is 180ft x 120ft if 1 inch = 5ft scale (or 1:60) to save you the trouble of doing the obvious first bit of math.

### New Challenge Entry:Hoel,3875
### New Challenge Entry:gorkamorka,3878
### New Challenge Entry:Valarian,3880
### New Challenge Entry:Korrigan,3883
### New Challenge Entry:ukgpublishing,3886
### New Challenge Entry:Greason Wolfe,3887
### New Challenge Entry:Nomadic,3898
### New Challenge Entry:Sagenlicht,3914
### New Challenge Entry:Midgardsormr,3923
### New Challenge Entry:languard,3931
### New Challenge Entry:Rahva,3949
### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,3951
### New Challenge Entry:bryguy,3954
### New Challenge Entry:MarkusTay,3958
### New Challenge Entry:mmmmmpig,3964
### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,3979
### New Challenge Entry:Bohunk,3993
### New Challenge Entry:Malakor,4012
### New Challenge Entry:Ydars,4028
### New Challenge Entry:industrygothica,4044
### New Challenge Entry:Monks,4055

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Some interesting points to note tho is that as a commercial enterprise you will not be able to use other peoples creative commons - non commercial stuff unless you can get the originators express permission. ;)

Of course, I don't just grab any ole online map with CC license to attach, I get permissions first from all potential maps for sale. For instance, Anna has given me full and exclusive permission to print her maps of Greyhawk for any orders. The same is true for E.N. Publishing World of the Burning Sky maps, got permission from Russ Morrissey in person!

From many publishers, however, I have been declared exclusive on printing rights - 12 to Midnight, for example a modern horror RPG publisher out of Texas.

In addition when any customer says, "I've just downloaded a PDF map from such-and-such publisher - do I have permission to get this printed?" First I contact the publisher and insure that this is OK up front. Most publishers are more than pleased that I can print their maps at large format for their users, and so far no one has denied me the priviledge.

Any Guild maps included on my Ecommerce site, will require a permissions Email sent and received from potential maps uploaded here - I won't do it automatically. I am a responsible business.

GP

bryguy
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
4. Bryguy - do you play an RPG? If so, is there a location that is especially important to your fellow players, or will there be a major location for your game early this year? Make a map that you can really use in your game and one that will be appreciated by your GM and the rest of your fellow players!

Sadly, no, I do not play any RPG :(

wait... do some videogames count as RPG?

Course, only videogame i have played that might be considered RPG that I might be able to make a map for is Kingdom Hearts I and II, but I played those mainly last year around this time, and I can hardly remember anything about them :?

If anybody has any good ideas, Im all ears, as I have hit a brick wall for ideas suddenly :x

Steel General
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
@Bryguy - How about a map of a place in your favorite book? I think even if its based off of a map in the book as long as you give credit to the original artist you should be OK.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **

Midgardsormr
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Or you could look around in the CWBP and see if there's something in there you'd like to map.

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Bryguy - why not create a Conquer Club styled regional map, just make it big!

GP

bryguy
01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
@Bryguy - How about a map of a place in your favorite book? I think even if its based off of a map in the book as long as you give credit to the original artist you should be OK.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **

uh... idk which book is my favorite, it takes me about 3 days to read any book... from 200 pages - 900 pages, it takes me 3 days, more than 900 takes more

hmm...maybe one of the world from the Inkworld trilogy?? (Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkhert is coming out as a movie on january 23! yay!) ) but Id have to find a map for it, as the maps in the front of the books are not that good....

@--> Gamerprinter

Huh, might be able to do that, but it would have to be one that I create (maybe a map in Risk Map form? with territories and bonuses and such?)

Ive been working on a map for a challenge on Conquer Club, maybe something in that style...

So many choices! Im horrible at making choices :(

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
What I was getting at with the CC thing is that many tokens are CC licensed like say Kimmos character tokens. I was just giving warning to everyone that some people would get funny about selling maps with those tokens on them even if you created the map yourself but used lots of 3rd party tokens. So just be mindful about what tokens your popping down on the map. If those tokens came with a package then check that they say that you can create commercial maps using them. I know of a few packages where thats true and not true but its not for me to stick my neck out and make that statement for anything other than mine. And for the record, tokens shipped with the box set for mine are ok, those from the web site download are CC so not ok. (Just to make life complicated !)

For interest and since I use a lot of them... CGTextures can be used for free or commercially - BUT, it appears, not as CC (which I didn't realize)

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=license

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=faq

so your safe to use these textures as long as the resulting image is not CC licensed it seems.

I think the only time I would have a distinct CGTextures texture is in last months challenge entry but since I used the Dalek tokens too I wasn't going to send that to GP anyway. Weird and confusing all this licensing stuff. Hmm, gotta be careful with Ansium stuff then.

Darken
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Would 22 x 17 in be acceptable? (standard BattleTech map size)

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, I can allow 17 x 22 maps as this is standard CBT sized maps. However, if you can handle 17 x 22, why not 18 x 24, there's hardly a difference in file size for that. I'd like to stick to a minimum size and not allow every size possible. If you're using Heavy Metal Map as your mapping program I can see the size limitation issue - but that's the only exception.

GP

Darken
01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, I can allow 17 x 22 maps as this is standard CBT sized maps. However, if you can handle 17 x 22, why not 18 x 24, there's hardly a difference in file size for that. I'd like to stick to a minimum size and not allow every size possible. If you're using Heavy Metal Map as your mapping program I can see the size limitation issue - but that's the only exception.

GP

18 x 24 is fine, i wasn't even thinking when I posted :P
Worst case, I can throw a decorative border around the hexes that the neighboring maps can cover up (so it will blend in with other maps), but I don't think it will be a big deal.

And I was planning on hand-made from Illustrator

And thanks again for sponsoring this month :D

[Edit] Change of plans: I think I'll make a full sized map to your original specs and have a "1-sheet-only" terrain setting.

monks
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
oooh nice! I think i might enter this. How do I do that..anyone?

monks

ravells
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Edit -- Oh yeah, type "36 inches in cm" into google (the normal search engine request) and it will tell you the result. It has a built in calculator with many compatible units. As in
"36 inches in leagues" gives 36 inches = 0.000164578834 leagues for those people who game in leagues, or 36 inches = 0.00454545455 furlongs if your so inclined ;) Flippin eck it is complete isnt it.... 36 inches = 9 144 000 000 angstroms... Nach failes for "36 inches in roods" :D

Oh and 36x24 is 180ft x 120ft if 1 inch = 5ft scale (or 1:60) to save you the trouble of doing the obvious first bit of math.

That is so cool. Google really rocks.

Darken
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
That is so cool. Google really rocks.

I thought everyone knew that :P

its got some other things built in nicely... for example:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=golden+ratio+*+4

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
oooh nice! I think i might enter this. How do I do that..anyone?

monks
Theres a section on the forums about the challenges of which this thread is part of. One of the threads is the general challenge instructions. Basically you need to add a new thread labeled January Entry: My Map Title etc and start putting wips in there. Theres the thumbnail scraper tag too where you put a ### Latest WIP ### as the last line of any post that contains a new WIP image and then a script will snag them and make up the thumbnails page of correct and latest WIP images.

Edit -- whoops should have said January Entry: Title. (modified post).

MarkusTay
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Well what do you know - one I can actually particiapte in (and may be able to finish). :D

One of my earliest PS maps - and the only one that is not derivitive - was made at a really bad resolution (so low I don't think they even invented a number for it LOL). It was also pretty amateurish - although I was proud of it at the time - and I've always wanted to 're-visit' it.

This gives me the perfect excuse, and gets me away from cartographic 'writer's block' I'm having with the world map.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **Becasuse I mostly do Forgotten Realms maps, I am VERY familiar with this problem.

NO... you cannot use someone else's IP (Intellectual Property) for any commercial endeavor without seeking their express permission first. Derivations do not fall under 'fair useage'.

I get away with doing what I do because I do not except any money for it... even when offerred. I cannot legally except payment for a map containing IP belonging to WotC/Hasbro (except from Hasbro... but that will never happen).

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think people are making money from these maps. The prize is just a print of it. Its a fine line I admit and I know people got stopped from producing iced birthday cakes with disney characters on them. GP will print Annas maps and he has permission from Anna but the Greyhawk campaign world is owned. GP - does Anna have that permission or can we do 'own work' campaign world maps from books and similar stuff ?

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
The way Anna explained it to me - first know that Anna is from Sweden and their laws may be different compared to anywhere else, however, her renditions of Greyhawk is her work, not WotC. She owns them and WotC cannot stop her from creating them. Sharing her maps is different though, and the laws are a bit shakey on these grounds.

I am charging for the printing, laminating and shipping of the maps. I am not charging for the map itself - it is essentially being freely distributed. Money from sales is paying for the work in creating the print, not the map itself.

To those who own the maps, a price may be assigned for distributorship - in Anna's case however, she essentially wants to freely share her work with the world. If you order her maps, you are ordering the printing, not the map.

One cannot sell maps that one did not create, without permission from the creator.

If a client such as a member here orders a map to be printed. I am not charging them for their map, I am charging for the work of printing, finishing and shipping.

Although I do have publisher clients who have assigned a minimum surcharge over and above my map printing charges (which I pay them monthly), almost all the publishers work that I print, there is no surcharge - the maps are available freely, you just pay for the printed work.

I have an attorney and these issues have been discussed. In many ways the work that I offer sits outside the laws, in that the laws specifically apply to those taking ownership where they don't have the right. I am not taking ownership at all. I am only offering a print service.

Believe me, if WotC called for a cease and desist order on Anna's maps, I would stop immediately. Anna has tried to contact WotC, with no response.

That's where I sit in the legal issues involved here. So unless I'm told otherwise I will continue to offer Gamer Printshop services.

GP

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok so doing a book map is ok for this challenge. Its important to me as this is looking like what I want to do. Own work completely but of a book map - not WotC in this case and I want to give the map out freely its never going to be charged for. Thats ok then yeah ?

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok so doing a book map is ok for this challenge. Its important to me as this is looking like what I want to do. Own work completely but of a book map - not WotC in this case and I want to give the map out freely its never going to be charged for. Thats ok then yeah ?

Yes, you are not breaking any laws by creating a map used in another publication, as this is not for profit or distribution. And should the winner at the end of the month use published material, I will not include that in the Ecommerce site for distribution - for the reasons just discussed. The posting to my site for sales are only maps of original creations.

GP

Hoel
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm going to post my first WIP for the challenge right now. What do I put in the title? "January Entry: Carlsborg 1890"?
I have figured out that i should put it in the current challenge board.
I guess I can edit the post if i do it wrong.

/Hoel -always fails his first attempt

Gamerprinter
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, Hoel, make sure that is your title: "January Entry:.... whatever you want to call it..."

Just create a new post, name it thusly and post your start map, that's it! Looking forward to your first challenge entry, Hoel!

GP

PS: boy this thread has had lots of posts since I posted it less than 24 hours ago, hopefully that's a good sign that we'll have lots of partipants this month, got my fingers crossed!

Hoel
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
There, it's up, take a look and say what's wrong

Steel General
01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Yes, you are not breaking any laws by creating a map used in another publication, as this is not for profit or distribution. And should the winner at the end of the month use published material, I will not include that in the Ecommerce site for distribution - for the reasons just discussed. The posting to my site for sales are only maps of original creations.

GP

OK, good I'm glad we got that straitened out. Because I was also thinking of doing a rendition of a map from a book.

Midgardsormr
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
PS: boy this thread has had lots of posts since I posted it less than 24 hours ago, hopefully that's a good sign that we'll have lots of partipants this month, got my fingers crossed!

Well, I sure enjoyed receiving my Randland map this week, so I think I'll shoot for getting another one for my wall. And it might even be a CWBP map to boot! Unless I get brave enough to try a big city map Gandwarf-style. We'll see how I feel once I get back home and get started on it.

Gamerprinter
01-07-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm liking the diversity so far! Since this is an Open Format challenge where you can post whatever kind of map you want - anything goes. Guild challenges have been traditional geared toward maps of fiction, my own specialty, but with such a large and international community, there are many points of view in what type of map each wants to create.

I'd probably never create an alternate earth map, but its great seeing someone else doing so in this challenge. I've seen very few truly historical maps of real places posted here and Hoel's doing just that.

I hope to see some of the regulars from past challenges getting involved as well - but its good to see some new blood at work. I can't wait to see more entries! :D

GP

MarkusTay
01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Just so everybody knows, I wasn't trying to be a jerk - I just don't want anyone to get in trouble.

Interesting work-around there, Gamerprinter - reminds me of how people used to get around having a liquor license here in NY years ago.

You paid for the cup... the beer in it was free. :D

Of course, they have since re-written the laws so you can't get away with that anymore. :P

Now back to work on 'Mysterious Island'....

Edit: I almost forgot my reason for coming on... are we settled on 18 x 24? I know 24 x 36 was originally mentioned...

Hoel
01-08-2009, 08:58 PM
The workaround in sweden is that if you actually make something yourself, you own it. If i use something to create something else, I own my own work, IPs be damned. It's a pretty fair rule imo.

Gamerprinter
01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Just so everybody knows, I wasn't trying to be a jerk - I just don't want anyone to get in trouble.

Interesting work-around there, Gamerprinter - reminds me of how people used to get around having a liquor license here in NY years ago.

You paid for the cup... the beer in it was free. :D
Edit: I almost forgot my reason for coming on... are we settled on 18 x 24? I know 24 x 36 was originally mentioned...

Yet, if you send me a photo of your Mom, enlarged for framing, whatever dimension is the same as I would charge for a map. I don't that photo of your Mom, I'm just printing it and charging your for the service. I print more than photos, but my daytime graphics and digital print studio - that's what I do for anyone else. So isn't printing maps the same thing?

Regarding size - I am allowing 18 x 24, especially for those using apps that require huge amounts of RAM they don't have to create them, if you want to submit an 18 x 24 inch map it is allowed. However, if you can create a 24 x 36 map then I would prefer that. That was the intention of the challenge. I want to create a nice prize, and an 18 x 24 print would only be half as good... ;)

GP

PS: with Anna's maps (I have her permission) as the only exception, all maps on my site have permission from the publishers directly, and in most cases at no cost to me. The industry has been very open to the concept of Gamer Printshop and I work closely as I can with them. I'm not a sneaky guy trying to make a buck, I want to benefit the entire RPG community, if only in a small way.

bryguy
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Sadly Im thinking that circumstance will not allow me to submit an entry :)

1) Cant think of what to do (I have some ideas tho, so I might decide on one)
2) Getting kinda busy
3) School :? :x :P

if I can I shall submit and entry, even if I dont have time to finish it

p.s. shouldn't this be stickied?

Steel General
01-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with an idea myself, the idea I had at first fizzled on me as I couldn't find a good source image to work from. Same with the next couple of ideas I had. So it looks like I'll need to dive deep into the cess-pool and drag something up from the bottom. :D

Korrigan
01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Only thing I can say is : don't get drown ;)

MarkusTay
01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm not a sneaky guy trying to make a buck, I want to benefit the entire RPG community, if only in a small way.NO offense intended - calling you 'clever' was meant as a compliment. :)

What I do - produce FR maps - is borderline, and I have been offerred money to do specific ones, which I was never able to accept. I'm just seeing certain 'possibilites' in some of what you said, is all.

I was heavily involved in the 3e to 4e editon debates on the Net, when many companies decided to just 'stay behind'. In fact, I'm fairly certain I was the first person to point out that companies could indeed 'stay behind' legally, since WotC gave up all control of 3rd edition when it went 'open source'. All they had to do was NOT SIGN the new 4e agreement, and WotC had no legal control over their content. After I mentioned that fact on a dozen sites or so, a few days later Paizo made their announcement of '"sticking with 3e", and then several other companies followed suit directly thereafter.

Not saying I had a hand in that... but I do like to think my posts opened some eyes .

I do so love finding 'loopholes', and I appreciate yours from a purely legalistic point-of-view.

I had no intention of intimating you were doing anything wrong... quite the contrary. :)

Now, about size... what are most other folks going with? As it is, I had to adjust my own project greatly to fit 24x18, and I think my Island might grow into a continent if I go much bigger, which I wanted to avoid.

I was just wondering what the general consensus was here. :?:

Edit: I need to take a look at your site - Greyhawk was my first love, and I may be intersted in a few of those maps.

Nomadic
01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I am sticking with the smaller 18x24 so my computer doesn't kill itself.

joćo paulo
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds good, but that I will not participate.
I will keep an eye. ^.^

bryguy
01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
just wondering, but what would be the smallest size that I could use that has equal values? (3x3, 10x10, 5910x5910, 0x0, etc)

MarkusTay
01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
4x3 (or 3x4, depending on orientation).

I believe that equates to both 36x48 and the smaller 18x24.

However, if you go too small, your going to need to bump-up the ppi, otherwise it will print like crap.

Redrobes
01-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Gamerprinter, any chance you could post something about the range of colors that your able to use with your printers. We know that RGB to CMYK has a limited palette or gamut. So which colors do you find that cause problems. I thought that it was generally really strong greens, deep mauve's and stuff like that but I don't have any actual experience of it but you must have lots. Would it help if we put the ultra black on a separate layer or do you find normal black prints ok. These kind of tech printing issues.

Valarian
01-20-2009, 07:29 AM
There's a few missing maps on the thumbnails page (two missing).
I think it could be due to some misspelt challenge titles (not fitting exactly with the "Month: Title" format).

Could a friendly community leader tidy the offending titles up?

Redrobes
01-20-2009, 07:57 AM
No its just me being tardy. I try to keep on top of it but its usually a few days out of date so new entries are a bit late getting in there. Its now up to date afaik so PM me if you think otherwise at any time. I have been busy on the MeDem map.

Bohunk
01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
@ GP - lets just say I lose this competition...I know not likely :), but lets just say I do: How much would a 36x24 map cost printed, packaged and shipped to me (Cleveland). I ask because in the future I was thinking of having this done. While you’re at it, can you give me the price of other sizes as well? Do you laminate? Thanks.

Gamerprinter
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey Bohunk!

I charge $2.99 per square foot for full color large format printing, this means a 24 x 36 costs $17.94 to print, add $3.60 to laminate, and roughly $10 to ship, includes box, shipped USPS or UPS, your choice.

On other sizes, just round up to the nearest inch on any dimension, multiply the height times the width, divide by 144 and take that sum to multiply by $2.99 to get your final price on anything...

That's only if you lose of course! :P

GP

Bohunk
01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Not bad, thanks GP!

Gamerprinter
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
@ Redrobes: my new Canon printer can print anything you can come up with - I can print 32bit color, I have 12 different color carts on my printer - through Photoshop, whatever kind of file I can open I can print (printer colors are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta, Grey, Photo Grey, Red, Blue, Green, and medium black - whatever that is) - it can print an exotic and complex color pallette if you got one!

Wow, I just realized with almost 300 map objects to create for ProFantasy, the closest I'll get to participate in a Mapping Challenge until March is printing the winning map for this month! :D :) :| :? :(

So good luck to whoever wins, so I can at least print your map! I am looking forward, as the time is getting closer to voting. Good luck!

GP

ravells
01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I can print 32bit color

wow, that's like billions of colours!

bryguy
01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
voting time???

jfrazierjr
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
voting time???

Yep, I will get this up when I get home if no one else has had a chance to post it. If I do end up posting the poll, I will be trying something different where the poll text will link directly to the submission post(or perhaps the last WIP post in the thread) for that entry in addition to having Rebrobes link to the latest post thumbnail image in the body.

Korash
01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Just had a look through the thumbnails, and I am stuck!!! :o

I have 5, yes 5, maps that I am looking to vote on.

decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Hoel
01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I've made my choices but I'll take a look at the entries again when the voting is up.
I'm all set for the next challenge. This is one of the most rewarding competitions I've ever entered.
I really like the nice welcoming feeling of this board. My compliments to all you guys!

Redrobes
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah its just great round here - a diamond place. I last a few posts on EnWorld and WotC and so on before giving up. Cant seem to get away from here tho. Well late here off to bed. Good luck and see you at the voting.

Nomadic
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Are those of us that submitted maps allowed to vote?

Hoel
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
It's been answered, but yes everyone can vote. You can vote for yourself but the votes are public...

Nomadic
01-26-2009, 09:20 PM
It's been answered, but yes everyone can vote. You can vote for yourself but the votes are public...

I wouldn't vote for my map haha. Especially not when there are so many maps far better than it. I do think I know which map I will be voting for though.

Steel General
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Remember - depending on the number of entries you will most likely have multiple votes. Right now I'd say 3 or 4 depending on what the actual ratio is.

bryguy
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Remember - depending on the number of entries you will most likely have multiple votes. Right now I'd say 3 or 4 depending on what the actual ratio is.

most likely 3.

There are 21 entries, but idk how many dropped out

its so hard to be patient until its time to vote. I REALLY want to vote. :((

edit: Ive patiently waited ALL night.... still no poll :((

RPMiller
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I've closed all entries. Poll will be up shortly.