PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Dead and Still Standing

ukgpublishing
01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Well here I go, my first time on one of these challenges.

I'm going to be doing a miniature scale (1 inch to 5 feet) battlemap for a Post Apocaliptic Zombie scenerio (well stick to what i know) portraying a city aid station in the early stages of the rising. Expect alot of blood, gore and destruction.

As the challenge was for a 36 x 24 inch map I've started by laying down a grid layer (I'm not sure if I will leave this on when finished). I originally started at 300dpi, but after memory issue's I dropped back to 150dpi.

Please note that all these map images are at 50% scale to fit within the forum restrictions on image size.

Next step lay down some asphalt. The quickest way to do this was flood fill a road layer with an asphalt texture again at 150dpi and 1 inch by 1 inch. Then I just cut away the area's where I am going to have the buildings.

With roads we need pavements, another layer and a nice light grey concrete texture with curb stones for edging. I have also drop shadowed this to bring it out from the road.

Finally, road markings and drains. Using a textured yellow fill. I always find road marking difficult. Being British we have white lines, but alot of the textures I see are yellow. In the end I figure yellow looks nicer and adds some colour to an otherwise bland black surface.

I've also included a thumbnail of the WIP sans gridlines.

Next step fill in those missing blanks a bit.

Until next time.

John Milner
UKG Publishing.

Gamerprinter
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Well I'm glad to see another lurker turned mapper! Have some REP for posting a map with your first post and a challenge map at that!

Looking forward to see some zombie action!

GP

jfrazierjr
01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice start. I would probably round off the corners of your sidewalks and perhaps do some random rounding off of the dashed lane lines also. I would also think about reducing the number of drains. Of course, I am going by my own experiences here in the US, so it may be totally different where your from. For the dashed lines, how did you make them? They have a repeating pattern which is quite distracting when you look at them as a whole.

Midgardsormr
01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Welcome, John! I like someone with the guts to throw down in the challenge with their first post. Don't forget to take some time to introduce yourself and your company in the Member Introductions forum.

Redrobes
01-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Welcome. Its de rigeur for me to rep every first poster who starts a challenge entry. We like that kind of thing :)

I'll get this up on the thumbnails page in a mo.

ukgpublishing
01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Everyone and thanks for the welcome and advice.

Here's the latest state of play.

Following reading some of the comments I have rounded off the corners on the pavement and also flipped and rotated some of the yellow line to break up the uniform pattern (the yellow lines are just a textured fill in yellow). I've also removed half of the drains (I got carried away ;) ) I also added the concrete for the warehouse (requisitioned for use as an aid station 12 hours into the rising) loading yard.

With that sort I then started on the floor textures for the buildings. I always like to build these things literally from the ground up. I have used a variety of textures here ranging from carpet for the offices in the warehouse, and adult book shop (small brown carpeted building), clean white tiles for the local deli, dirty concrete for the mechanics shop, cleaner concrete for the warehouse with dirty white and black tiles for the canteen and toilets.

Finally, I have added the walls to the map. These are currently simple black wall (I find nothing says wall better than a thick black line ;) ) but I may replace this with a wall texture.

The whole is brought together in the final thumbnail without gridlines.

Now to do the intro bit in the other forum lol.

More later.

John

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
After seeing the intro maps, you've set the bar quite high so I'm very interested in seeing this progress.

ukgpublishing
01-09-2009, 07:00 AM
After seeing the intro maps, you've set the bar quite high so I'm very interested in seeing this progress.

Hehe, I'm enjoying doing this one, which of course makes a big difference, although i think the lighting will be fun on this map.

John

ukgpublishing
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
OK not had a lot of time today, but I have added doors and windows to the walls, two loading bays have been added to the warehouse, some steps up to the warehouse have also been added to the main floor layer.

Added some furnishings (ok I have done the toilets and a basic office bit, plus I have added two maintenance pits to the autorepair shop.

I have also been adding to my blood and gore object collection but I am a way off using them ;)

More as it comes.

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Couple suggestions:
You may want to scale up your textures or build some new ones that are larger so that the repeating patterns aren't so prominent.
The maintenance pits probably shouldn't have walls that are sloping that much. I'm pretty sure they are just vertical so a drop shadow might serve you better than a bevel.

I think it is coming together swimmingly though, and will be watching its progress closely. When it is done, I'm likely to snag it for my own uses as well. ;) :D

ukgpublishing
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have changed the autoshop floor as that one had far too much repeat. The other areas where there is repeat i am hopeing will be busy enough to mask it, but I'll cross that bridge when i get there.

I've also change the pits to a drop shadow and added warning stripes and a ladders. I've added a work bench and some machine tools, a few wheels (although i may add some more as some bits are still a bit empty) and on the bench a selection of tools, manuals and spray cans. I've also added bars to the windows and put a car in for service ;)

More as is comes.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Man, that detailing kicks...also why I can never do this kind of map (I'd go bonkers). Nice job so far.

Steel General
01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Holy Blue Toilet Water Batman!! :D

joćo paulo
01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
:compass:I see a little blood, nothing very compromising.

Korash
01-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Like Ascension said, nice detail. :)

Quick point though, I think the work pit in the garage is too wide. The wheels of the truck are only half on the floor, with the other half over the pit. There should be at least a few inches of garage floor between the edge of the pit and the inside of the wheels. It has been a while, but I do not think that these pits are more than 3 feet wide.

ukgpublishing
01-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok the autoshop is almost complete, I agree with Korash that the pits need to go on a diet so I'll tackle that with the next update.

I've added more detail to the main garage (tools, paper, wheels, coffee mug, etc) and also oil stained the floor.

The main office is also done.

I've included the main WIP map and also full detailed views of the Autoshop (both lit and unlit).

Next stop deli and adult bookshop and then I can get into the meat of the aid station.

As for the blood, there will be much more to come, that which is there was part of the texture and I like the effect ;)

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I could have given ya some other rims but I threw my American Racing brochure away a few months ago. You can get one any just about any tire shop if ya want to scan some in and crop 'em right. Their website is flash so I don't think you could get any jpgs or pngs from there.

ukgpublishing
01-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I could have given ya some other rims but I threw my American Racing brochure away a few months ago. You can get one any just about any tire shop if ya want to scan some in and crop 'em right. Their website is flash so I don't think you could get any jpgs or pngs from there.

Thanks, all the wheels and rims on the plan are modelled using animator. I have quite a few models, but I didn't want to get carried away on one small protion of the map ;)

John

Nomadic
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I only have one question, how do they get the car in there without it falling into the pit (or am I misreading where the garage door is)?

Ascension
01-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice find Nomadic.

ukgpublishing
01-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I only have one question, how do they get the car in there without it falling into the pit (or am I misreading where the garage door is)?

Hehe, no wnder business is slow for the poor guy.

So narrow the pits and widen the door ;)

Thanks

John

RPMiller
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I believe you typically would have one door per pit. At least that is the way its been for all the mechanics I've been to over the years.

Nomadic
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I believe you typically would have one door per pit. At least that is the way its been for all the mechanics I've been to over the years.

Yea, they do that around here too. I would say, 2 doors but still narrow the pits (they're a bit wide).

MarkusTay
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I only have one question, how do they get the car in there without it falling into the pit (or am I misreading where the garage door is)?They built the shop around that truck? :P

ukgpublishing
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments, I missed that door and truck problem hehe.

Anyway I've narrowed the pits, and change the doors to have two, so hopefully thats the problems solved there.

I've moved on and sealed tha alley between the autoshop and the deli with a metal spike fence and also added garbage and and a dumpster.

The deli has now got a cold cabinet, work surfaces, sink and some stools for customers to eat at. The bread basket needs work but that will do for a holding image until i get round to improving it.

The snag I have now is finding a decent 3ds model of a cash till. I have found plenty of 3dmax images, but my 3dmax is playing up so until I fix it or find an alternative format I'm screwed on that one :(

Anyway more as it comes.

John

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Looking great! Ok, here is a short list of "issues":

Tire in the top left corner of the garage seems to have a "chunk missing" possibly an image overlay issue.
The magazines in the office appear to be floating above the table and desk. Maybe reduce the drop shadows or remove them entirely.
Those are some seriously big cans of soda in the cold cabinet! Might want to reduce the scale of those a bit.

I can't quite make out the magazine covers. Are those women's mags in the garage office on the side table, and is that a D&D module on the desk?

jfrazierjr
01-13-2009, 05:05 PM
One thing that may not really be an issue, but at least in my state, any food place with seating is required to offer restrooms for it's customer use by the health department.

Ascension
01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I can just picture those husky mechanics reading Redbook and Woman's Day :lol: Can't quite make out the 4 cars on the covers...looks like an old white Jag and orange Vette in the office and some type of lowered truck and Honda in the shop (I love hunting for details). Nice job so far, other than the 40 oz cans of soda and chopped tire.

Nomadic
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice work. I have a few things as well to point out though.

One thing that is still bugging me is the toilet water. It looks really fake. Is there any way that you could make it a very light transparent blue (showing some of the bottom of the toilet bowl beneath it)?
The computer monitor is awfully long. I mean, my big ole CRT monitor is pretty dang long but it's still not much longer than it is wide. Your computer there is almost twice as long as wide.
A minor thing but it looks like the keyboard is backwards (unless you are modeling it off of a type I am unfamiliar with).

ukgpublishing
01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi All

No updated images tonight, although i have fixed most of the issues pointed out.

Firstly the soda cans have been downsized.
Office magazines have been defloated and changed to something a little more manly (ok car magazines)
Replaced the missing chunk off the tyre (I must have clicked when I had eraser selected).
The books on the table are car maintence manuals (most of them haines manuals). Its scary how much like an old dnd manual the haines manual looks when its reduced.
I'll fix the computer monitor when I go back to the main warehouse, as thats really just a place holder, and I hate CRT monitors so it'll be a flat screen.
I've de-blued the water in the loos as well.
I've not really specified which country this is set in, and to be as neutral as possible I'll try to leave it that way. But restrooms are not a requirement for a small eatery like this in the UK.
Bread rolls are updated and I fixed 3dmax so I now have a till as well.

Anyway thats the updates, I'll post some thumbs with the next installment.

Thanks

John

ukgpublishing
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi all

Following the changes I made yesterday I have now completed the three buildings on the right of the courtyard. These are the autorepair shop, the deli (added fridges and boxes to the storeroom) and the adult bookshop.

Now I know one or two of you have a thing for spotting details so I will say that the magazine covers are based of real images. If you are anyone else thinks this is too much I will happily change them (although I don't think you can pick out any details which are too compromising).

I've also added the roofs of the two building (one to the top of the map and the other to the right of the map) which are not going to be interior mapped.

Finally, I have started work on the warehouse/aid station. I have had the main warehouse area converted into sleeping quarters, with boxes hastily pushed to the edges of the room and in the case of the two main doors used to create some crude defenses should the risers break through. A single forklift is also in the room.

My next moves are to finish off the rest of the interior of the warehouse and then I can work on the courtyard and road defenses.

Hope you all like.

John

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
uh... the Latest WIP is VERY very tiny....

ukgpublishing
01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
uh... the Latest WIP is VERY very tiny....

Yup, spotted that along with a layer problem in the book shop, so I have now fixed.

Thanks

John

RPMiller
01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Two questions:

Are there no other doors into the warehouse? The functionality of it seems odd, but I admit to not visiting that many warehouses.
Why is there blood on the floor of the adult bookstore? No, don't answer that. ;)

Everything is coming together swimmingly! I will ask a favor. When the contest is over can you post a version without the blood? This would be great for a Superhero encounter as well I think.

Nomadic
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Two questions:

Are there no other doors into the warehouse? The functionality of it seems odd, but I admit to not visiting that many warehouses.
Why is there blood on the floor of the adult bookstore? No, don't answer that. ;)

Everything is coming together swimmingly! I will ask a favor. When the contest is over can you post a version without the blood? This would be great for a Superhero encounter as well I think.

If you look at the full map there is actually a door into it on the south side.

Anyhow, this is very well done, I can't find anything else that needs fixing (other than the computer and the breadbasket... but like you said those are placeholders).

RPMiller
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, I saw the door in the south side. Notice that it leads into another building.

Nomadic
01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Yes, I saw the door in the south side. Notice that it leads into another building.

Yes, that's normal for warehouses. The employee entrance is through the "office area". Generally this is because the office area is where the staff lockers and punch in area are.

ukgpublishing
01-16-2009, 02:08 AM
If you look at the full map there is actually a door into it on the south side.

Anyhow, this is very well done, I can't find anything else that needs fixing (other than the computer and the breadbasket... but like you said those are placeholders).

The bread basket has been changed, its got real rolls in it now ;)

As you said the warehouse has the two large loading doors and a the smaller staff entrance to the south, which leads to the toilets, locker area, canteen and offices (next on the list to attack).

To be honest the warehouse is very small, but that was a limiting factor of the size of the map, I would normally work on something about 4 times as large for a purpose such as this.

John

ukgpublishing
01-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Two questions:

Hehe, there will be a great deal more blood and gore, but the blood that is currently in was part of the carpet and tile textures. I will make most of the zombie related material into another layer, so I can post a none blood version when the challenge is done.

Thanks

John

RPMiller
01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Hehe, there will be a great deal more blood and gore, but the blood that is currently in was part of the carpet and tile textures. I will make most of the zombie related material into another layer, so I can post a none blood version when the challenge is done.

Thanks

John

Great! Thank you!

ukgpublishing
01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi All

More updates.

I've now done the small office (making the computer a little more modern) and also the main office which has been converted into an incident room complete with city map.

The reception is now an armour and the main entrance area a make shift hospital and treatment room (although there is still more to do on this bit).

That leaves the cafeteria area inside and a few more bits of detail around the place.

Hope you like

Thanks

John

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I just realized something. There isn't a driveway into the garage. Cars would have to jump the curb to go inside.

The warehouse area is starting to take great shape.

aiRo25
01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I can already tell I'm going to have an awful time figuring out which map to vote for when it comes time. The details in this are amazing. Keep it up!

ukgpublishing
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi All

Update time, and thanks for all the comments.

Anyway, the interior is now more or less done. I have still to add the blood effects, etc to most of the map.

I have added medical equipement to the treatment area and furnished the cafeteria. I a have also added some more weapons around the complex.

On the outside I have started by adding two machine gun nest to the loading bay area complete with M249b SAW's and a Bradley Armoured Fighting Vehicle stands ominously in the courtyard.

The rest of the fortifications to come (as soon as I can find a decent model of a military humvee)

Anyway, enough for tonight.

Thanks

John
### Latest WIP ###

ukgpublishing
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi All

Well time moves on and so does the map. I managed to find a hummer model which was a great relief.

So on the outside I have added various levels of defences, including strategically placed vehicles (two vehicle funnel any undead providing a killing field). An upturned dumper truck, sandbags, and razor wire. Also added some hummers in the roads for 50 cal cover fire.

In addition to this I have added some additional street furniture including lights and fire hydrants.

Anyway, a few more weapons to add to the defences, so more defensive measures leading into the courtyard and some additional prop in the courtyard itself and I think I will be ready to decorate with some blood and body parts.

Then add lighting effects to complete.

The two areas I am unsure about is a) to add labels or not (and to some extent how much labelling) and b) gridlines or not.

I'll try some of the options out and post the results see what you all think.

Anyway thats it for tonight.

Later all

John

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
This is really amazing - the only thing that looks 'off' to me is the overturned truck - it looks like its floating above the street. Maybe the shadows are to deep? *shrugs*

I think you need at least a label for the title, if nothing else.

RPMiller
01-21-2009, 01:59 AM
If you do put a grid on, please have it as a separate layer so that you can turn it off. For those of us that use maps in VTs we can put any grid on it that we want and to the scale we want and having a preexisting grid makes that look terrible.

I agree about the truck. Also the lampposts look a little like they are floating as well.

I think the scale of your razor wire is a bit big. The coils are generally much smaller, at least the coils I've seen at the local military bases.

I still think you need a "driveway" for the garage unless they plan on doing alignments for free. ;)

ukgpublishing
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi All

OK I've fixed the issues in the previous comments (razor wire is smaller, truck is now crashed instead of floating as are the lamposts, and I have dropped the curb stone on the pavements for the garage and warehouse entrance).

Added some more defences and guns to the sandbag barriers.

Oh and I added a title to the image.

At last I get to use my extensive library of severed body parts (strange how people find that creepy).

I have tried not to get carried away with the gore factor (concentrating on areas of more intense fighting) and I have used some new PSP blood brushes so I hope they look ok.

If all is good I will hopefully have the finished version with lighting effects and some flavour text up tomorrow night as I am away over the weekend, leaving Thurs and Fri Nights to finish this sucker up.

Later all

John

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
01-21-2009, 04:37 PM
This is looking great. Had an idea while I was perusing this...what if you made the title look like it was spray-painted onto the roof, rather than giving it a separate texture? In other words, have the shingles show through rather than the stone/rock texture you are currently using. Just an idea. :)

ukgpublishing
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi All

Well here is it, unless something major comes up. The final version with lighting effects.

I've changed the label a little following suggestions, but apart from that not much changed.

Now to figure out how you do the final entry posting :)

Later all

John

Opps helps if you attach the right image

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Something tells me the meat in the deli probably isn't Kosher... :shock:

Other than a few of the weapons floating this definitely turned out great. Well done!

Ascension
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
That lighting really looks nice and dramatic. This reminds me of a video game that my old roommate used to play (a game called SWAT...he was a state trooper).

ukgpublishing
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the comments and compliments, much appreciated.

Anyway the map is now the final version, as I am away after tonight. But for those of you familiar with the Year of the Zombie setting, its traditional in our books to provide some flavour for each section. So in that tradition I submit the following except from notes found in the ruins of Relief Station 27.

So this is how it ends, two people trapped on the roof of a dead relief station, whilst the dead rampage below clamoring to get to the last two survivors of Relief Station 27.
Its hard to believe that this episode in my life started 4 days prior, as I stumbled into the fortified enclosure amongst all the other shock and injured refuges. "Refuges" it sounds like something you'd hear on the news from Africa as another despot fights for control of a small country. Hard to imagine that it could happen here in the good ole U S of A. Even harder to believe that the cause would be the dead returning to life and attacking the living, but with what I have seen over the last 24 hours, I'd believe in santa and the easter bunny without a second thought.
I recall the entrance to the refuge vividly, the soldiers relieving jumpy civilian of their "weapons". Anything from a kitchen bread knife to an imported AK47, each of use were ordered to stip to our underwear, examined and depending on if we were bitten or not herded one way or another.
The clamour of people being seperated, demanding to see lawyers, demanding their rights, all of them thinking that somehow the old world had survived, and none of them willing to see what was happening for what it really was.
After medical screening, we were questioned about our professions and history, anyone able to use a weapon was put on guard detail, in my case my former profession as a nurse put me straight into the infirmary. It was here that I learned the fate of those that exibited signs of being bitten by the "infected" as we were then calling them. They were simply given two choices, take their chances on the outside of the refuge, or take a bullet in the head. I was horrified, these were living, breathing people. American citizens protected by the constitution. It wasn't until a patient died in the infirmary that I found out the practicality of this policy, anyone bitten will die of massive infection and die within 24-48 hours, without exception. They were doing them a favour, at least when the opted for the bullet.
Over the next few days, I treat many wounded, only to have them ferried out by black hawk to the main Relief Station outside Santa Rosa. Then the blackhawks stopped coming.
I found out on the grape vine that the blackhawks had stopped after survivors in another relief station swamped the vehicle and caused it to crash. It was deemed too much of a risk to continue.
One by one the stations fell to the undead hoard. Until day 6 when we heard that the main Relief Station had fallen, apparently someone had concealed a bite. Once they had risen and killed the number of undead in the station rose exponentially until only a few survivors managed to get out.
It wasn't long before the radio's fell silent and we manned our guard posts waiting for the inevitable to come. There was nowhere to go, no help coming and around 150,000 insatiable undead all wanting nothing more than to feast on our flesh.
SO here we are, a nurse and a volunteer soldier, the last 2 survivors of Relief Station 27, sitting on a roof surrounded by thousands of undead, two bullets left....

Notes found in an overun Relief Station in Santa Rosa, CA

RPMiller
01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Well done. (except for a couple typos ;) ) Sounds like the beginning to an adventure or a movie.

ukgpublishing
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Well done. (except for a couple typos ;) ) Sounds like the beginning to an adventure or a movie.

Hehe, that'll teach me to write with vodka in my hand, but hey ho, its friday night and alls fair at the weekend.

It took quite a bit to write this in a fashion that was suitable for the forums, because our usual zombie material is more adult in its language.

Laters

John