PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Haevenstadt Harbor

Greason Wolfe
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, after a rather dismal "tutorial" on converting FTPro results over to Terragen (one which I am currently re-writing, btw) I decided to put my own words into practice as part of this month's challenge.

As a new WIP, Haevenstadt Harbor is going to be an adventure in and of itself, especially since I've decided to work it up mostly in Terragen with a little help from PSP and FTPro. This is going to mean developing several layers, all rendered from specific angles in Terragen, then masked to create the overall scene. The fact that the area, as a whole, is dominated by sea cliffs, reefs, shoals and natural jetties hasn't made things any easier, but I am managing some slow and steady progress.

Haevenstadt Harbor (pronounce Hie-ven-stahd) is centered along a 300 mile stretch of coastline that is quite similar to the coastline along the northwestern portion of the U.S. and Canada. It is particularly treacherous for sea-going vessels and offers few areas for beaching during fall and winter storms. Haevenstadt Harbor is one of the few exceptions with a cove that is naturally protected and a lower portion of the town that is close enough to sea level for the building of docks and warehouses. With the exception of Lower Haevenstadt, the coast is dominated by sea cliffs, some rising as high as 300 meters before the land begins to level off. Even with that leveling, however, things aren't easy for travelers in the area, and as they move further inland, they encounter the Sturengard Mountains.

I still have a number of details to work up for the region, but figured I would start with a rough, regional map that is looking into Haevenstadt Harbor from a northwestern view point. The image is still in its roughest stages, but if you look closely, you will see a flatter area nestled in at the base of the harbor representing Lower Haevenstadt. This image, once it is fully detailed, will probably end up as a corner image for the overall map which will be a zoomed in version of Haevenstadt and its immediate surroundings. Given the nature of the project, I am suspecting that I will finish it up just in time for the challenge. Well, at least I am hoping to finish it up just in time for the challenge, whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

GW

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
01-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Welp, a little bit of work accomplished since my last post. Now our point of view is from the west and I've given it a little color to better identify everything. Still not perfect as I have to work the elevations a bit, and I'm intending to add some strata coloring to the cliff faces. I may also have to rework my surface layers some, just to get the correct feel to everything, but hopefully this gives a better idea of what the terrain is like. In any event, it is a little bit of progress towards the final destination.

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
01-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Interesting - will be keeping an eye on this. Ground seems a bit bumpy at mo - unnaturally rough to my mind but will see how it goes and comment later on.

Hoel
01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
I think it's not the roughness, but the uniform roughness. You should have some larger features like ridges and mountain ranges. The base layer of hills shouldn't be flat, if you know what i mean.

Steel General
01-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Definitely will keep an eye on this one.

Greason Wolfe
01-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Interesting - will be keeping an eye on this. Ground seems a bit bumpy at mo - unnaturally rough to my mind but will see how it goes and comment later on.

I think it's not the roughness, but the uniform roughness. You should have some larger features like ridges and mountain ranges. The base layer of hills shouldn't be flat, if you know what i mean.

A matter that I am fully aware of. It is still in the rough stages at this time and hopefully (assuming I have time today) I will be tweaking both the elevation model and the surface maps to reflect erosion and cultivation in some areas. I am also planning on laying out the major roads and rivers, but again, it might be later this evening before I have a chance to work on things because the #$%^ idiots I work with have, as is often the case, screwed things up again and guess who they call to fix them . . . . :x

Greason Wolfe
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Okay, I did manage to get some work done, not as much as I'd like, but it's still a little progress. I am going to have to backtrack a bit, however, since I've lost some of the hard definition along the sea walls, but I have managed to smooth out some of the roughness (no, not all of it yet, it is a slow process of editing the base image and then modifying the Surface maps) and pushed some of the elevations a bit higher. The snow looks odd right now, but it's only serving as a marking point for now. I'll probably tool with this again later in the evening, after I've had some rest.

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Its looking a lot more terrain like now. Well done.

Greason Wolfe
01-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, I finally got a little time off, and managed to accomplish something with my challenge project. Did a little rework on the elevation model, hammered out most of my Surface Mapping and even managed to get a little wave action going. As far as the regional map goes, it is just about there. Going to be working on Roads, Rivers and Lakes in the next phase, along with tweaking the Surface Maps (where they need to be tweaked) and maybe even accomplish a little place naming somewhere along the line. Then it will be down to the nitty-gritty of actually working on the harbor itself.

GW

P.S. The only area I'm not liking at the moment is where the terrain coloring shifts from the lighter green to the darker green. From just south of the harbor and moving up to the north, it seems too "straight" so I'll have to work on that some.

### Latest WIP ###

Nomadic
01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Very nice, it does remind me of puget sound a little bit.

Greason Wolfe
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Very nice, it does remind me of puget sound a little bit.

Funny you should mention that. I grew up along the Oregon coast, and have been to the Puget Sound area several times. The coast along the Northwest is part of the inspiration behind this map, so I am glad to see that someone found something familiar about it.

Nomadic
01-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Funny you should mention that. I grew up along the Oregon coast, and have been to the Puget Sound area several times. The coast along the Northwest is part of the inspiration behind this map, so I am glad to see that someone found something familiar about it.

Well I lived in Bremerton, Washington for 8 years (I currently live in Bend, Oregon). The shape and style caught my eye (and yea I noticed when you talked about your inspiration). It looks good though. I see that I have alot of real good competition going on (including with your map... dang I feel inadequate with my silly anchors away map).

Gamerprinter
01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
We're all different. We use different styles, tools and methodologies. You never how the vote is going go - keep at it, and don't compare yourself to others. Trust in yourself...

GP

Greason Wolfe
01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Well I lived in Bremerton, Washington for 8 years (I currently live in Bend, Oregon). The shape and style caught my eye (and yea I noticed when you talked about your inspiration). It looks good though. I see that I have alot of real good competition going on (including with your map... dang I feel inadequate with my silly anchors away map).

Well don't feel inadequate. As I mentioned on one of the other threads here, there is a lot to be said for simplicity and sticking to the basics. Having taken a look at some of the other maps under development for this month's challenge, I don't see where yours is any less a work of art. A different style? Yes. A different medium of development? Yes. But it isn't any less worthy of being considered along with every other map in the challenge. Just keep plugging away at it. Who knows what will happen when the votes start getting counted.

GW

Ascension
01-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah, really. I haven't made up my mind as to who I'm voting for yet, heck I haven't even decided if I'm going to enter or not...or if I'm going to wear pants tomorrow. I probably won't make up my mind on any of these accounts until the 25th.

Nomadic
01-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Nah I'm not ragging on myself, I just think that your work (as well as some others) is brilliant compared to mine.

Darken
01-10-2009, 11:45 AM
We're all different. We use different styles, tools and methodologies. You never how the vote is going go - keep at it, and don't compare yourself to others. Trust in yourself...

GP

I can personally attest to this... for November, I tried working in 3D Studio Max for the entry. I thought my idea was going out on a limb and it was my first time working in 3D for a challenge. But, I came away with a respectable 3rd place... much better than I thought I would do.

Keep up the good work, try different styles/programs/technologies, and you'll eventually find your niche. The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself! This is your hobby... have fun with it!

Steel General
01-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't worry about comparing your work to any of the others, you really never know what is going to catch someones eye when it comes to the final vote.

jaspertjie
01-11-2009, 09:51 AM
It may be a stupid question but with what program do you do this. I'm just new I only draw maps I don't do then on PC.

joćo paulo
01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Need some adjustment on the coast, but is very good for a while.

Greason Wolfe
01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
It may be a stupid question but with what program do you do this. I'm just new I only draw maps I don't do then on PC.

I am using a combination of FTPro, Paint Shop Pro and Terragen with the For Export Only plug-in.

Greason Wolfe
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances :(( , I find myself forced to withdraw from this month's challenge since it is unlikely that I will have enough time to finish the Haevenstadt Project. I will, however, keep working on it and either post it in the WIP forum or (should the Map with Tutorial Challenge go active) post it here for another challenge. Good luck to everyone still involved, however, and I look forward to casting my vote come the 25th.

GW

bryguy
01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
aw and I was really beginning to like this map alot :(

Nomadic
01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
aw and I was really beginning to like this map alot :(

Me too, this stinks.

Greason Wolfe
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Me too, this stinks.

It most certainly does. Unfortunately, while I can still access the forums, I am about 500 miles away from my computer and the one I am using just wouldn't be able to handle the rendering processes that I would need to continue working on the maps. If I am very very lucky, though, I might make it back home in time to at least finish up the regional version of the map, but loved ones always come first.

GW

Greason Wolfe
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, a small bit of good news. The unfortunate circumstances seem to be working themselves out which will (or so I hope) allow me a bit of travel time and an opportunity to continue working on my map for this challenge. I'm still not 100 percent sure that I will have enough time to finish it up, but maybe if I pull a couple of all-nighters, I might get close, at least with a regional map, though I will definitely have to drop the idea of a local map, at least for the challenge. I did manage to work on the elevation file quite a bit and finally hammered out some of the details (mainly the river cuts) and should have something to post here later today.

GW

Greason Wolfe
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
So, a bit of a re-vamped elevation model. Working initial renders as I post this and think I may still have a little work to do on the rivers since they are rendering out too straight, but all in good time. Needless to say, I'm never gonna get this done if I don't settle on something soon, but any progress is good progress, yes?

In any event, I won't be rendering the entire area, or rather, I will, but I'll be trimming it down to meet the dimensional requirements of the challenge, but the elevation map is pretty much finalized with the exception of, perhaps, raising a few of the mountain peaks and ridges.

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
An early stage rendering with river overlay. As I said, I'm not quite set on the rivers just yet and may have to twiddle the mask a bit to get more of a meandering flow. Will likely delete a few of them as well since a few of them don't make a whole lot of sense. Suggestions/Comments welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
01-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Since there is just no chance that I will finish this project up before the Challenge deadline, I'll be moving it over to the WIP forum. Good luck to everyone remaining in the challenge, however, and I am still looking forward to casting my vote. But it isn't going to be easy, there are a lot of good choices and it's going to be hard to pick just one.

And just for the record, I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this, even if I did bite off a little more than I could chew given all the distractions I've faced and would like to offer up one last update before shifting over to the WIP forum. I've laid out some base coloring, almost finalized the rivers and lakes, dropped in some major roads and defined some of the upper elevations as far as slopes and snow caps.

See ya'll in the WIP forum.

GW

### Latest WIP ###