PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Anchors Away

Nomadic
01-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Arr ye landlubbers, Nomad the Black here t' talk to ye all bout his idea fer this here contest o' mappin'. I was downin' a bottle o' rum wit a bonny lass on either arm when it hits me it does to be makin' a map of t' open ocean (ah how it warms me heart). Now I remembers this here contest yall started and says t' meself "Nomad ye daft fellow ye ought t' join in wit t' merrymakin' and map creatin'." So's I is a here t' give ye all a run foor yer money I is.

Now I is no master at the mappin' but I is more then some wet behind the ear whelp to take a look n' run off n' fear and all. So's I is a gettin' down t' business and hopin' that ye all will accepts me entry into this here fine contest o' yers.

I is a thinkin' that I will be makin' a proper pirates map (thoughs ye all are fresh out o luck if ye think I will map out me treasure for ye). It's a bein done on proper pirates parchment (which I did won from some sap at a game o cards) and done in proper pirates colors (stolen from some clueless navy rube by yours truly they are). So's then I bids ye all to take a gander and be givin' your two pence. Fer now it's not but a bit o black and white for coast and water but don't let dat trick ye, she will be comin' around yet ye hear.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Nomadic, Challenge Map rules require that all entries are titled "January Entry: Anchors Away." or in that format. Even Arcana has threatened to send us River Police to chops heads for those who don't... ;)

So a CL will have to change this.

Nice start so far!

GP

Nomadic
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Nomadic, Challenge Map rules require that all entries are titled "January Entry: Anchors Away." or in that format. Even Arcana has threatened to send us River Police to chops heads for those who don't... ;)

So a CL will have to change this.

Nice start so far!

GP

Aye I did notice this, but alas twas too late. I am ashamed o' me mistake and blame t' rum.

Gamerprinter
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Even pirates follow a code, if only loosely, Arr.

GP

Nomadic
01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Well me lads I has begun on t' map proper I has. The parchment ha' been lain out like a drunk rat on a plank and I has got down t' work. The coast has been lined (as is only proper fer a pirate map) and a bit o' color has been added to make me map be lookin' nice. The first conundrum I has come across whilst thinkin o're me map is the symbols. Ye see ye can't have no proper pirate-like map withouts yer symbols. Yous gots t' have a compass o course and a map just ain't a map witout a sea serpent or two. It's quite a bother t' think o're really. I's mights have to search around in the archives o're yonder in port google.

### Latest WIP ###

Nomadic
01-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Avast! I has done made progress on this here map. I hopes that it does look good to ye all. Alas tis a hard thing t' explain in pirate whats did on a map. I shall try my hardest I shall though.

First off I hads meself a drink o rum (not right t' go mappin without it). After I had topped meself off so to say, I gots right down t' the heart o it. I's took me colors and made the beach all nice and sandy, as is only right. I also made t' landlubber section (inland for ye non-nautical folks) nice and green as it is wont to be. Thens I darkened the coast a bit to make the land stand out like a sun-crazed sailor at t' gov'ners ball. After that I did add some lines in the ocean so that a sailor such as meself can make something of whats under the waves (tis a 'portant thing to know, that). Next came the grid lines so that the more learn'd (like me second mate, the daft bookworm that he be) can tells their capn where somethin is.

I thinks next I will be huntin down scurvy tom, hes right good with a quill and ink and I could go for some labeling and other pretty'n up.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
01-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Harr! A goodly start indeed, me hearty! I'll be keeping a weather eye on this one!

Nomadic
01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
It warms me heart to see one such as Red-Handed Ravells puttin' in his two coin fer me handiwork. Makes a pirate proud t' haves the attention it does (likewise to GP). Tis been a busy day fer me it has. I's was gettin' one ideas after the next and has puts them all t' paper. After a long bit a bein awake wit one hand on the quill an the other on this here bottle o rum I has made more progress.

I's scribbled in some proper marks fer the jungle (a dangerous place that, full o savages) and put in me lines t' mark the mighty rivers. I has also puts down the local settlements an the most popular sea and land routes between em (ye can't very well pillage wit no idea as to where the pillagin' is t' be done). I's also found a good bit o ideas for the drawring bits from the archives and puts down a proper compass. There be yet more t' add indeed. Town names, river names, warnin's and what not else that a good seadog can make use o.

Nows I thinks I be takin a good rest for a short bit. Buts this mappin thing here, it wets me appetite right proper and I be gettin' back t' it soon.

Till next time me hearties,

Nomad the Black

### Latest WIP ###

Nomadic
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Well I be back so ye best buckle yer swash. I's looks me map o're a bit n' I thinks the roads don't do it justice. So I has sent them packin and drawn up some new un's. I have also gotten down t' labl'n all the 'portant stuff and fancyin' it up a bit. After a bit o rum n' company my mind was tickin' good and I made fine progress I did.

Whats I could use right now is a bit o yer opinions. After all a maps no good if them people who reads em don't reads em ye see. Just pay no mind to them small hards to read labels. I has to shrink the map down to half so as to put it up here wheres ye all c'n view it (they's actually easy to read on the real thing).

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Ya scallywag! I ain ne'er seen no longimitude called A or B or C...what be th meanin behind this bit o frippery? 'N furthermore, ye got some magical lookin-glass in th sky? 'Cuz it be lookin like ye be meanin to draw ev'ry tree n clump o dirt on th mainland.

Translation: Are you doing this in a 16th century pirate style or a modern style? If the former I'd be lightenin up on the colors to be more authentic like, don'tcha know. Now, avast, ye swab! Git yer rumpus off o me poopdeck and git back to drawin me a map.

Nomadic
01-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Aye, tis a good point ye be makin thar. I's actually goin fer a bit o a treasure map style (ye fancy). Gaudy colors n' all but more old style and such. I c'n see thoughs how it mights make it a bit hards to see fer a proper sailor (so's I's cans tone it down a bit). As t' the letters n' numbers I must ask ye where you ha' done seen a treasure map that'n didn't have the locations marked in proper letter n' number grid squares. I's see's though the value o smudgin it up a bit as to throw off the foolish whelps. I'll give old grease handed pete the map tonight n' let him ha' his way wit it. Thank ye much fer yer input. I'd offer ye some rum but I is fresh out n all.

Midgardsormr
01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Every time I click on this thread, I find myself whistling "Anchors Away." It was my high school's fight song.

That is all.

Darken
01-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't you guys think you're taking this pirate thing a little overboard?
Ba bop pish! (http://www.instantrimshot.com/)

Gamerprinter
01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Don't you guys think you're taking this pirate thing a little overboard?
Ba bop pish! (http://www.instantrimshot.com/)

Well, shiver me timbers, looks like we got an instigator here - someone to put on the plank, arr!

GP

ravells
01-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Avast! Now, I have me some comments about yer most recent offerin'

They be these:

Yer shipping routes might be better as being more curvy - the reason? The earth is round and yer map is flat, so the most direct route would be the curvy one.

Ye might consider using a mask over your graticule, make the lines a bit thick in some places, thin in others and gone in others still. Makes it look like yer map has seen a bit of action.

But it's great work, me hearty!

With a yo ho ho...

Nomadic
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Avast! Now, I have me some comments about yer most recent offerin'

They be these:

Yer shipping routes might be better as being more curvy - the reason? The earth is round and yer map is flat, so the most direct route would be the curvy one.

Ye might consider using a mask over your graticule, make the lines a bit thick in some places, thin in others and gone in others still. Makes it look like yer map has seen a bit of action.

But it's great work, me hearty!

With a yo ho ho...

Arr how might I be garticulin' this mask? I never heard o that technique a'for. The shippin lanes be straight here cause this here map nay be large enough t' show the curve o the globe. Howe'er, I does see the use o a curvy route (makes it look more natural n all). I'll be seein' whats I can do.

Gandwarf
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
All this pirate talking scares me. But I like what you got so far.

Steel General
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
*Looks around for Captain Jack Sparrow*

Nomadic
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
*Looks around for Captain Jack Sparrow*

He be down in the hold, seein t' the rum. Meanwhile, I's up here putting some more touches on me map. I ha'e not a clue as t' how one might be graticulin' a map buts I has faded 'er up a bit and folded it right proper. Also the routes be better curved now. I have also ha' shadowed 'er up proper and be thinkin' about goin for the larger print size that ole GP be talkin' about (wit me map in the middle, shadowed to look like its actually there, its an old pirate trick ye see).

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Me be thinkin I be about t be stealin that thar foldy idear.

MarkusTay
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah... that is pretty sweet.

Nomadic
01-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Arr me mateys. I's glad that ye be so patiently waitin fer new mappin things t' come from yers truly (avast I has been sidetrack'd and had t' fight me way free wit not but me wits and me trusty sabre). I has eased up on the colors n' all and subdued things to be more proper as is rights fer such a map. In me mappin' I noticed that the map be slidin all about me table wit the rockin o tha ship. So's I nailed er down proper, alas I forgot t' check the nail first and nailed a piece of scrap to 'er as well. Bein the inventive chap that I is though I used the scrap to write down the regions name n' all. I think it looks might right piratey. It be somethins that can only be truly appreciated up close n all so I copies down a larger bit fer yer viewin pleasure. And it be time fer me rum again.

Yo ho ho me lads.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
01-14-2009, 06:26 AM
The small font with the white glow are nearly unreadable (at least for me), but that is likely due to re-scaling, etc.

Other than that I think this is coming along nicely.

bryguy
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Ahoy, me thinks Ill have to keep an eye on this map! Me likes it already!

Yoho yoho, hav' some rep!

mmmmmpig
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Tis a wonder t'behold. Methinks tha "New Dawson" words mayhap be black as yer buccaneerin heart, but should be the color or soaked ship timbers. In fact, I hie that all the vile blacks on this chart mighten look better with an umber.

RPMiller
01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Just a side thought here. Since this is potentially going to be printed, you may want to refrain from putting in the folds. That way if it wins you can simply fold it when it arrives. ;)

Nomadic
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
The small font with the white glow are nearly unreadable (at least for me), but that is likely due to re-scaling, etc.

Other than that I think this is coming along nicely.

Aye, it be mostly to the rescalin' and all. But I's be thinkin' abouts changing them there outlines to a more 'propriate color fer such a map. I thank ye much fer yer feedback.

Ahoy, me thinks Ill have to keep an eye on this map! Me likes it already!

Yoho yoho, hav' some rep!

Glad t' hear ye likes it and thank ye much fer the rep (I'd poor ye a glass o ale fer that but I's be fresh out).

Tis a wonder t'behold. Methinks tha "New Dawson" words mayhap be black as yer buccaneerin heart, but should be the color or soaked ship timbers. In fact, I hie that all the vile blacks on this chart mighten look better with an umber.

That tis a very good point, I thinks I might un just do's that. A right bit o umber would look much better.

Just a side thought here. Since this is potentially going to be printed, you may want to refrain from putting in the folds. That way if it wins you can simply fold it when it arrives.

Tis a most valid point, though I be likin the thought of the map bein sort o one o those pictures peoples always talkin about. The things that look real buts are flat n all. I thinks I be keepin the folds, buts thanks ye for the feedback.

ravells
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Harrr! Harrr!!!!

Nomadic
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Here be a bit o an update fer ye scurvy dogs. I has gone over the map and changed them black lines t' a more umberish look (and I must agree tis looks a mighty fine better). I's also made all the labels more uniform and all that, been alignin' them colors t' match and now they are even easier t' see. Be there anythin' else that ye lot see that could use a sprucin up?

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Tis looks great to me eye!

An' it be t' bad about ye ale, perhaps ye should steal I men buy sa'more?

Only thing tha' I cun see is ye L looks like a backward G!

ravells
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Harrr!!! Harrr!!

Nomadic
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Tis looks great to me eye!

An' it be t' bad about ye ale, perhaps ye should steal I men buy sa'more?

Only thing tha' I cun see is ye L looks like a backward G!

Which L be ye talkin about?

bryguy
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
The L be on the far left side of de map, with all those other letters

Nomadic
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
The L be on the far left side of de map, with all those other letters

I wouldn't be sayin' it looks like a backwards g. If'n anything it looks like a backwards J.

bryguy
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
That be true to, it just be lookin' like the G backwards as far as me can tell

arg, every time I come here, I get pirate talk stuck in my head for the longest of times! It be so hard to stop! lol

Ascension
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
It's catchy and folksy, I almost always play my characters with some sort of dialect hook and get stuck talkin that way for days...which isn't always so good for me when I meet with inferior decorators (snobs that they are).

Nomadic
01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Arr this be me latest try at this here mappin'. I must ask ye all though, which map does ye like better? This un or the one I be puttin up on the previous page?

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Methinks I got me a hankerin fer this un. The folds be fine n dandy n all but fer hangin on a wall this'd be me choice. Carry on, matey.

ravells
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Aye, now that be lookin' like it were painted by Black Thumb Jack hisself!

Sigurd
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I like both of them. Your fold shading is very effective.

I do miss a scale though.

I think I liked the piece of paper that framed New Dawson. It made me think that New Dawson was the latest detail and the reason for the map.

Sigurd

Nomadic
01-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Avast, thank ye much fer remindin' an old sea dog to mind his map scales. I has done fixed that. Here it be, the finished (unless any o ye landlubbers does find an error) product. The first image be at half size so ye can sees it proper. The other un is at full size so ye can sees the details.

I thank ye all fer your contributions to an old buccaneers mappin' endeavors.

### Latest WIP ###

Nomadic
01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Arr, here be the full sized map fer any o ye who be 'nterested. It's hosted on me webspace.

Full Sized Map (http://www.nottaspace.com/nomad/Completed%20Contest%20Map.png)