PDA

View Full Version : Create a map with a tutorial on how it was made

jfrazierjr
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I mentioned this idea quite a while ago and quite a bit of talent here and some excellent tutorial authors. What I propose is a monthly mapping challenge where each entry submits a final map in the opening post and then detailing in tutorial form how you used application X to get to the final map. The idea is that it would give our mappers a real challenge of writing up your process and carefully explaining how you use your particular software of choice to produce the final map.

For those who have previously submitted tutorials that take a map from start to finish, we would like to see a different style/artistic approach taken to the challenge map so we don't just repeat the existing tutorial.

bryguy
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I like the idea :)

And maybe the voting could be on how good the tutorial is and how good the final product is?

jfrazierjr
01-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I like the idea :)

And maybe the voting could be on how good the tutorial is and how good the final product is?

That was the thought! Hopefully, we get quite a few entries and some tutorials with new mapping styles as an end result. The only thing is that given that you need a "final" map to start from, unless one is going to redo an existing map(or is super fast at mapping), I would expect many of the entrants to come in later on in the month.

Gamerprinter
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
This is an excellent idea, JFj! And worthy of the next challenge if the poll gets more votes. I hope it goes through, I like the idea very much.

GP

Redrobes
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, like it. But it might put some people off having to write a lot of stuff about making the map. Still, I expect that the good maps and good (or at least detailed / clever) tuts would go hand in hand.

Steel General
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll admit that this doesn't appeal to me very much, but it's still a good idea. Probably one I would end up passing on though.

Greason Wolfe
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm all for it! In fact, I am sort of doing that very thing with this month's challenge in an effort to re-write my FTPro/Terragen tutorial (I still can't believe I actually submitted that first version as a tutorial :(( ). Of course, this would mean that I, theoretically should withdraw from this month's challenge and wait for the Map with Tutorial Challenge to start (if it becomes a challenge, that is). Oh my . . . Decisions, decisions, decisions . . . :lol:

GW

Gamerprinter
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't pull out, just do the same thing if and when a Mapping/Tutorial challenge is realized. Sometimes these challenge suggestions never make it to an actual challenge - that's why the poll so we can vote on it. Even so, this challenge may not be actualized for months.

So keep up with the current challenge as practice for that challenge should it become available.

GP

Talroth
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I think this would make an interesting challenge, but maybe as a special challenge that runs for 2 months along side regular challenges? After all documenting how you did something would take far more time than just doing it, and I know I usually don't get around to doing challenges because of a lack of time, and I'm sure others have similar issues.

JoeyD473
01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I think its a great idea, but I think participation wouldn't be very high

Ascension
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
An interesting idea for sure, but I'd probably like to see it limited to those who haven't done a tut before. Writing your first tut is kind of hard and time consuming because of all the little nit-picky details that you forget to put in because they are second nature to you and not to mention getting all of the screenshots right. I like the idea, don't get me wrong, I just think that one of the old pros would win hands down due to the technical side of explaining things in written form. But then again, I'd have to try out a new style/software and tut it up so maybe it's got some merit.

RobA
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I voted no, mainly because I know how much effort has to go into writing a tutorial :(

Not to discourage anyone... but I don't think it would fit the conventional challenge format/timeline.

And remember - anyone can get a tutorial award if it is well rated!

-Rob A>

ggdancer
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I voted yes as i think its a great idea. But i also agree that one month probably isn't enough time. Maybe as a 2 parter one month to actually create (or fine tune) a map and then another month to write the tutorial.

jaerdaph
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I think its a great idea, but I think participation wouldn't be very high

Me too. I wish I had time just to enter one of the regular contests... someday. :(

But don't let that stop everyone else from having fun with this. :)

ravells
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Brilliant suggestion!