PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Ayvrst

languard
01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Figured this would make a good first entry into the forums :)

Trying to do a hand-drawn style map. Might have to fade the background texture a bit, as I'm not sure I like how the mountains are looking so faded.

edit: And I forgot to post this: Background texture was created by princess-of-shadows (http://princess-of-shadows.deviantart.com/)

Hoel
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
What software are you using?

Gamerprinter
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Another Noob, posts his first thread in a Challenge - have some REP!

Comments so far...

1. I think your background is too strong and saturated, needs lightened a bit. It would make your hand-drawn portions stand-out better.

2. I like the mountains in the top right island, the more widely spaced ones on the right side island looks off to me somehow. Perhaps tighten them a bit more, not as much as the top island, perhaps.

3. Your coastlines - if you're emulating an ancient cartography style the coastlines might be exactly what you want. However, it might look more artistic to increase the roughness (while still keeping its current shape). Just a thought.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Guild! You should post a formal hello in the Member Intro forum.

GP

Ascension
01-11-2009, 05:55 PM
It looks like you're using a black brush with a lowered opacity so I'd set the layer's mode to color burn or linear burn to make the lines look like a dark burnt brown. Jaggy-up that coast a bit too, as previously mentioned. The background looks fine to me for now but as it develops you might want to airbrush some tan to cover over some of the background and bring out the more important map bits...but that will come later. Solid start and will look forward to more.

languard
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Good guess, but not quite Acension. With the exception of some after-export cropping, everything is done in Campaign Cartographer 3. I did find a solution, though I'll wait until I've gotten more done before posting another thumbnail. Originally I was blurring the sheet the symbols were on, trying to get an 'ink bleeding' effect, but that took out the strength of the lines. After some thought I changed it to a glow effect, and that works much better. In fact, now that I think about it, changing the landmass sheet to glow/inner glow might help sharpen it up as well.

Midgardsormr
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't have guessed CC3, either. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Steel General
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree, no way I would of thought CC3 - this had GIMP/Photoshop written all over it in my mind.

If you aren't going to lighten up the background then I think you'll need to darken up the map symbols. Very tough to see at this point.

Looking forward to see where this goes and... Welcome Aboard!

languard
01-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Ever so slowly a story is coming together for this map. I'll post some story later once it becomes a little clearer in my mind.

Tightened up the mountains, added in a forest, and dropped in a large salt marsh. At least, that's what that patch of blackish dots is suppose to be :p Need to work on that.

The city...not sure it will stay there.

Lightened up the background, and changed my blurs to glows which makes the symbols stand out much better.

languard
01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Every fantasy world needs something wrong to keep the heroes occupied. And that tower is very wrong, hence the castle keeping a lookout over it.

The river...is not looking like I want it to. I'll need to play around with the sheet effects to see what I can do.

This is quite fun, working on maps like this.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm really liking this...river aside. Nice job, my man.

Steel General
01-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Very much liking the background on this - still have to keep reminding myself its CC3.

Gamerprinter
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Its nice to see a CC3 map that really looks like a design outside the box!

GP

languard
01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
*grumble grumble* Start of the semester is always so chaotic. Finally got a break to work on my map...and realized that I sent the wrong version to myself. *sigh* and if I'm reading the contest rules correctly, voting starts tomorrow. Ah well, still was fun, and I still plan on finishing up the map. If I get a chance I'll try and squeak an update in tomorrow morning.

languard
01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Well, this will probably be my final update for the contest, though I'm certainly not done with the map.

I almost have the feel of the rivers down. A little more experimentation with blur and glow, and I think I'll be there. Need to be careful about putting to many rivers on, after all this is suppose to a minimalist map, highlighting the major features of the region and areas of note, not a highly detailed map.

Currently working on finding some good handwriting fonts for an extra touch.

### Latest WIP ###