PDA

View Full Version : Cities with just CC3

Rahva
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Is it possible?
Is it efficient, or is it a better idea to use Dundjinni or just plain Photoshop instead? Is there some other program I could use?

Thanks for any help :)

Gamerprinter
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
You can make city maps with CC3, but ideally you'd also need the CD3 add-on for all the extra tools and objects especially for creating cities. CD3 is City Designer 3.

Look at Gandwarf's work through the finished maps and the City/Town WIP Forums to get an idea of what CC3/CD3 is capable of.

I don't know how helpful CC3/CD3 would be for your long and narrow city in the sacred forest, you discussed in your other thread, though.

GP

Gandwarf
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Agreed with Gamerprinter. You can do cities with CC3, but City Designer 3 comes with a lot more tools and symbols to create cities. I tried CC3 when CD3 wasn't out yet, but CD3 is now my weapon of choice.

Doing height things, like with your city in the sacred forest, is going to be difficult. But that's going to be difficult in most software if you are creating a 2D presentation.

Rahva
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
It'd certainly be nice for other cities though :) I noticed the lack of symbols, so until I can afford CD3 I might just mess around on paper and/or photoshop. Therapeutic labour, yay.

Hoel
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Go photoshop and you don't need to bother with the jagged roof lines! :)

Gandwarf
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Yep, CD3 can create some great cities and is a blast to use. You can create a nice little town right from the start, but it does take long to master.

Gandwarf
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Go photoshop and you don't need to bother with the jagged roof lines! :)

No, you wouldn't want to do that. Photoshop is the way of the dark side. I sense much fear in Hoel.

Midgardsormr
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I use both--CD3 for layout and Photoshop for prettifying.

Hoel
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd buy CC and CD if I had a job and bust the AA problem in photoshop. But the only way open to an poor unemployed bugger like me is the dark side

NeonKnight
01-11-2009, 08:18 PM
You can make cities with a Straight, no frills CC3, as I did in this example:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1519

Just playing with the available tools.

Gandwarf
01-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd buy CC and CD if I had a job and bust the AA problem in photoshop. But the only way open to an poor unemployed bugger like me is the dark side

Speaking of a job, I have to get up in 5 hours. Ouch.

But back on topic: CC3/CD3 does have anti-alias issues, but I am using Paint Shop Pro now to clean them up a bit. They are less of a problem.

ravells
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
The anti-aliasing (or lack of it) was what always made me really mad about pro-fantasy products.

Rahva
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I love my parents. They caught me looking at one of Gandwarfs maps and asked if I made it, which of course I didn't. I explained that it wasn't all handdrawn, and they took my "Well I'd like to get that program but I can't afford it right now" as a request for money.
So lo and behold, I'm getting CD3 in a few days. :D

jfrazierjr
01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I love my parents. They caught me looking at one of Gandwarfs maps and asked if I made it, which of course I didn't. I explained that it wasn't all handdrawn, and they took my "Well I'd like to get that program but I can't afford it right now" as a request for money.

Just to be sure, you know you need CC3 or you can't use CD3 right?

Gandwarf
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

LOL
Nice to know my maps are making at least a small impact.

And jfrazierjr is right, CD3 is an add-on to CC3, dus hopelijk hebben ze dat ingecalculeerd.

Sorry for the Dutch :P

Rahva
01-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I already have CC3 and the dungeon-making addon so that will be fine :P

Thanks Gandwarf!

Gandwarf
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Lets see you cranking out some city maps in the coming weeks :P

Arcana
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
make sure when you buy it you go to http://www.cartographersguild.com/ and use the profantasy banner at the bottom of the page.

Ascension
01-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Way to go Gandwarf...got yerself yer own disciples now :) Well, at least the parents are :P