PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Hermeiis

Rahva
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Alright, here is the first WIP of my submission for the contest.
It's been resized slightly, just because I hate files over 1MB about as much as I hate Hell, all Montagues and thee.

I figured I'd submit this stage of the process for one reason only: to call the river police and see if I made any errors in their jurisdiction.

Bit of background: this is the map for a world I originally intended to be the backdrop for a community story project.
Got this cool story in your head, but wrote too much FanFictions so now you can't come up with a setting of your own? (Yup, that's my friends...) Use this one!
Seen the map, liked the history? Add to it!
Want to be part of something big? Here's your chance.
Yeah, I don't think there will ever be an author for it besides me.

Regardless, here it is.

Gandwarf
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
As you haven't placed any mountains it's too early to give a final verdict, but you are doing all right for now.

Steel General
01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
The only thing I see is on the upper-left land-mass it appears you have a river that is bisecting a 'narrow' strip of land. Not sure if that was intentional or not - or maybe its a canal of some sort?

Ascension
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Top left and top right lands both have river-motel (like a roach motel) that is they drain into a lake and never come out to the sea. If this is meant then it's all good, otherwise just 2 more strokes of the pen.

Midgardsormr
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
No comments about the rivers, but I love that spiral-shaped peninsula in the southeast corner.

Rahva
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Here's the next WIP version, still no mountains on it, but that's next on the agenda.

Ascension
01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice color, kind of chocolatey...now I'm hungry.

Steel General
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice color, kind of chocolatey...now I'm hungry.

It kinda looks like a fudge poptart with land masses for icing...yummy!

Seriously though, I'm liking this - hope to see more soon.

Rahva
01-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Here it is again, now with more mountains. And huge filesize, don't expect it to load quickly.

Should I add some fluff to this when it is done? Like backstory on the history or certain places, etc? I'd like to, but if it's just gonna be a wall of text that nobody reads then I won't bother you with it :P There's some interesting stuff in there but I don't know about the format it should be in and such.

Also, where can I get one of those fancy nameplate-like things with the scale and name of the thing on it? I'm sure there's a template somewhere.

Steel General
01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
The back story is a nice to have, but not a necessity. I usually write up something and then attach it as a .pdf so folks can decide for themselves whether they want to read it or not.

Ascension
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't read most of the story stuff...I'm not a writer and I'd probably get off topic more than I normally do. I'm sure that a fair number of members read those things tho. If there is something in the story that helps explain certain features in the map then include some sort of description. As for that nameplate thingie, it's called a cartouche (proper term) but call it whatever you like (I call it a headboard 'cause that's what they remind me of). Most of us make our own but there's tons of clipart and a whole smorgasbord of things in books to scan.

mmmmmpig
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
great color scheme on this one. I haven't had time to look at it very closely though, but I am loving the tone on tone color scheme

Rahva
01-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Here's the next version.
Added some more mountains, fiddled with the background a bit and started on some placenames.
NOTE: while the font is final, the appearance is not. I"ll be adding some glow or somesuch to make it stand out, but I'd rather do that to all the text at once instead of every little label that pops up :P

What I'll mostly be working on is some more terrain, like forests and deserts and the like, as well as more places since they're as important as anything else in this world. The last 10 days will probably be spent fiddling with the cartouche and the scale.

Steel General
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
More nice improvements...

Ascension
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I like The Velvet Sea, for some reason it really seems to fit the ocean color/texture. I wish I could come up with something like that, very nice and probably just an afterthought but I'll fixate on it anyway :)

mmmmmpig
01-14-2009, 11:22 PM
There is a nice fuzziness and blur to your coastlines but the symbols that you have created for the mountains are a bit crisp in comparison. At the moment it makes me feel like the map almost has two authors. Also, watch the labels breaking the borders of the places they are labelling.

I love where this is going

Rahva
01-17-2009, 06:02 PM
This is the latest WIP. I'm mostly just doing everything all at once now, terrain, names, little tweaks and so on.
I'm not happy with the trees. Think it would look better as individual trees?
### LATEST WIP ###

jfrazierjr
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not happy with the trees. Think it would look better as individual trees?

At this scale, I don't think so. You could try adding a bit more texture to the interior though.

joŃo paulo
01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Good map, Rahva.
My only criticism is that the labels on the mountains are a little difficult to read.

Rahva
01-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Good map, Rahva.
My only criticism is that the labels on the mountains are a little difficult to read.

Thanks :) I am planning to do a bit of an outer glow around all of the text, but since I will probably change it 1100 times, I will wait with doing that until I have all the text on one layer.

----

As it stands now I've just removed the forests entirely. I think the map is crowded enough without them.

Korash
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
looking good :)

just a suggestion...

i think you need to have the WIP tag just before the attachment for it to show on the Thumbnail list

Ascension
01-17-2009, 09:25 PM
The forests look fine but need more "hilly bumps" inside of the overall shape to make it pop rather than just an empty shape.

Soixante
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Looks great. I love the colours.

What font is that, by the way?

Gamerprinter
01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I really hope you get your final details in before the deadline tomorrow. Looking good! I am glad you got to participate in the challenge, after just joining the Guild. Good luck!

GP

Rahva
01-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Whoa, the deadline is tomorrow?
I was planning for the end of January :O
I'll get right on it!

Rahva
01-27-2009, 04:42 AM
OK, I'm not gonna make it :((
Still, I had a lot of fun with this map so nothing has been lost

Valarian
01-27-2009, 08:17 AM
The game's not over until the thread is locked (and the vote thread goes up).
You still may have time :)