PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

Wilduck
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for a few days and decided to post an introduction. As you can see, my screen name is Wilduck (pronounced Wild Duck), but I can also go by Ducky or Erik.

I've been using the gimp for a couple years, but have only recently gotten passably good at it. I looked through some of the tutorials here, and have already learned a lot. I've also just recently started making maps, and realized that I'm not very good at it.

So, I'm joining this forum with the hopes that I can learn a thing or two, and eventually contribute. Thanks everyone for the great site.

Ascension
01-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Glad to have ya hear. Contribute as ya want, just have some fun.

NeonKnight
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
welcome to the Guild

Wilduck
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys. Before I loose my newness here, I'm going to ask a quick question (It'd be great if someone could tell me where a question like this would belong in the future as well).

The mapping I'm planning on doing is for tabletop games, and so a lot of the maps need to have a 1"x1" grid on them. I've looked around a bit but haven't seen a tutorial or explanation of how to easily do this with gimp. If such a tutorial exists, could someone point me to it? Thanks so much.

Edit: I know that I would put this grid in a separate layer, organizing the rest of my layers so it shows through in the correct places and whatnot, I just don't know how to draw the grid, and make sure that it would be 1"x1".

Hoel
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
There's actions for that you can download, or you can make a pattern. I'm sure there's a tut somewhere.
Welcome aboard btw.

jfrazierjr
01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. Before I loose my newness here, I'm going to ask a quick question (It'd be great if someone could tell me where a question like this would belong in the future as well).

The mapping I'm planning on doing is for tabletop games, and so a lot of the maps need to have a 1"x1" grid on them. I've looked around a bit but haven't seen a tutorial or explanation of how to easily do this with gimp. If such a tutorial exists, could someone point me to it? Thanks so much.

Edit: I know that I would put this grid in a separate layer, organizing the rest of my layers so it shows through in the correct places and whatnot, I just don't know how to draw the grid, and make sure that it would be 1"x1".

Note sure what version you are on, but on mine (2.6.x), Add a new Transparent layer. Then Filters->Render->Pattern->Grid

Wilduck
01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Note sure what version you are on, but on mine (2.6.x), Add a new Transparent layer. Then Filters->Render->Pattern->Grid

Aha!

Well that's easy. Thank you!

Steel General
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Redrobes
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome, and see how quick it is to get answers here. I will give rep to jfr for that.

BTW: To get it 1 in that usually means 1" = 5ft which is 1:60. So you will have to draw your map to a fixed scale so that say 200 pixels is 5ft then its a 200 pixel grid to apply. Lots of pre-made icons come in fixed scales so look out for stuff you want, see what scale they are in and design the map to be that scale. If your making all your own stuff up then ensure that whatever tokens you create are high enough res so that any map at highest res has token detail. Then you will have to scale tokens down on a per map basis depending on your desired map scaling.

If you were aiming to print that map for tabletop play then I would go with 300 pixels per 5ft real world and scale up/down all stuff to that.

Wilduck
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks Redrobes. I already gave rep to jfr (and you now as well), but I'm not sure if my rep is worth anything at this point...

You say that I should go for 300px per 5ft. That would mean in gimp creating an image that is 300ppi correct?

Redrobes
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
If your planning to get it printed then yes. If your using it on the screen or in a virtual table top then you could go lower. Also if your map is like 5ft x 4ft then thats a big map at 300 ppi so maybe just go lower anyway. But usually and if able, 300 pixels per inch is a good idea. So an A4 image is about 3500x2500 or thereabouts. You can create the image with a setting for 300 dpi / ppi and then set the inches directly.