PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: Pick a name you like

Ascension
01-16-2009, 03:32 AM
Just thought I'd add a lil something for the challenge. Don't expect too many votes or comments I just wanted to do something that I would like to see hanging on my wall so it's not named or anything, still playing with some new techniques (not yet done). Not sure how far I'm going to take this outside of trying out some new ideas. May look a lil funky as it has been shrunk down for the posting but the original is 36" x 18". Anyway, here it is.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
01-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Nice world, Ascension, and glad to see put yourself into contention in the Challenge. That would look nice on your wall *hint, hint* (in case you don't win) :P

Good to see in, hope more regulars join the competition too!

GP

Nomadic
01-16-2009, 04:25 AM
It looks like you have the bevel backwards for the water (looks like it's above the land... like a giant piece of jello hehe).

Rahva
01-16-2009, 06:19 AM
If you link the top-right continent to the one on its left you could name it Earth, Millions of Years Ago.

Steel General
01-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Neat idea my friend...

Ascension
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Rahva...yeah, I deliberately made this earth-derivative to pound home the "blue marble" style that I usually do.

Well I'm off to tackle a few more steps that will take all night (takes 20 minutes to save the darn thing and then it likes to arbitrarily hang for 10 minutes when playing with layer styles).

Ascension
01-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Two nights worth of minor updates and tweaks, although most people probably won't even notice a difference...I can't really see that much myself but I know that I've spent 10 more hours doing things so there must be something there. I put in some ocean waves (although in reality you'd never see them at this scale) and rivers and redid the shelf and it's height. Reducing the image to fit the forum makes the rivers and waves almost impossible to see but they're fine at original size. Last thing I might do is labeling and roads and such but if I did that I'd have to change the whole thing to a more atlas style with lighter colors...not to mention a week's worth of naming stuff and I definitely don't look forward to that as this isn't anything I'm overly devoted to for a home-brew world, as I can make up a whole new world tomorrow night, and I'm wondering how long I can make this run-on sentence go for or should I stop? :)

Nomadic
01-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Why is the ocean made out of jello? I am sure it is delicious, though I wonder how good of a map making material it really is. :P

bryguy
01-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Why is the ocean made out of jello? I am sure it is delicious, though I wonder how good of a map making material it really is. :P

Because the natives ran out of food...?? :?

sheesh now i want jello!

This looks really good ascension :)

Jello aside :P

Ascension
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I come bringing more gifts...2 different styles of the same map. I'm not sure which I like more: the first one here is ready for detailing and the second still has a bit more work to do on "antique-ing" but you get the general idea of it. I'd rather not submit another antique-style map to compete with the others so I'm leaning towards the atlas-style.

Korash
01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I definitely prefer the atlas one to the original. It seems much brighter and cleaner too.

Steel General
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I like them both - shows that a lot of differing looks can be done with your "base style".

Kudo's my friend.

Nomadic
01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
I second the atlas look, it looks awesome.

aiRo25
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I love this map, but I'm going to be different and vote on the first. Clean colors and all that is fine, but I think the first has more character and I'm a jewel-tone intense look kind of girl myself. Keep up the good work. Hey, this is something I'd want on my wall!

Ascension
01-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Tonight's update has no pic cuz I don't wanna fill up server space unless I have a good reason to do so. Basically, I just added country borders and capitals (like in the Narthaine map) and there's no real need to post that anyway since you know what that'll look like. Tomorrow I'll be adding the rest of the cities/towns and roads/trade routes then Tuesday I'll start naming all that stuff. By then I'll probably hate it all as I'm already contemplating a 4th variation (something really techy like how you see those planets in sci-fi movies covered entirely with cities). Not sure if I'll do that or save it for something else tho 'cuz it's something I'm just starting to think my way thru.

Soixante
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
They all look very nice and eye-catching, but I think I prefer the first style (the satellite).

Ascension
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Not sure if I'll be able to finish...my fridge blew up, well something melted and it stinks like burnt wiring and burnt hair...I'm guessing a motor. Couldn't even sleep in my house the other night cuz it was making me sick. So I've been fridge shopping and re-arranging money so I can get a new fridge (probably tomorrow) and am currently using my old college dorm fridge :) yay me. So that only gives me like 1 or 2 days to do anything with labels n such, which I absolutely hate anyway. If I can do anything I'll put it up but otherwise I'll just go back and edit a post to put the correct wip tag on the image I want to use.

Ciao 4 now.

torstan
01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Looking great so far. I particularly like the atlas style. Shame this will get dropped, and I'm really sorry to hear about the fridge - what a pain. Those rivers alone are worth finishing the map for - that must have taken you a while.

Ascension
01-21-2009, 07:10 PM
For rivers I designate one whole night (about 5 or 6 hours). I start with a big ole pencil and do in some rough layouts then go back with a 1 or 2 pixel pencil and zoom in to 200% (so that I can see the hills) and then put the finals rivers in. I probably need to change the opacity as they get lost in some areas. Since I can't really do anything tonight I'll get some fast food and a cooler of ice and see how far I can get.

Ascension
01-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Got capitals, cities and towns in (still need to do villages) got some preliminary roads in and started labeling stuff. Massive amounts of labeling left to do as well as finalize roads. It doesn't look quite as good scaled down so I'll post up a chunk of the full size image for better perspective.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Here's a chunk full size.

Hoel
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Very nice. Clean and crisp.

Steel General
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Fantastic!

aiRo25
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
This is an incredible map! I like it so much I can't think of a good enough compliment for it. :)

Bohunk
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Flippin' beautiful! I wish I could be unique like this.

Ascension
01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Wow, thanks for the compliments gang...I really appreciate it. I've been kinda bummed out 'cuz of the damn fridge (won't be delivered until tomorrow so I'm still using a cooler as a fridge) so the nice words help me feel better...thank you all :) Tonight I'm babysitting my nieces (gonna school 'em on some Wii snowboarding) while my sis goes to her dance class so we'll see if I can get anything else done before the deadline.

Gamerprinter
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice world, Ascension, you've got a ton of work in this map! This will definitely be a tough month for voters, I think. Hope your refrigerator woes are lifted soon!

GP

Ascension
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks, G. I got me one of those stainless steel things and now I gotta fill it up (milk, cheese slices, Pepsi, and pierogies are all I have) and hook up the water line for the ice maker. If I had more motivation I'd label up all of the cites and towns and such but I'm polishing off a tut on this style and did a lil experiment on Sunday (crystal ball thingie).