PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: East Tharduur

Bohunk
01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Tharduur (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3050&highlight=tharduur), was a world map I created a while back and I liked the FT world so much that I decided to make more comprehensive maps out of it. In this map I actually follow the mountain ranges that I basically ignored in the world map. The name is still up in the air because I want this to be a separate world from the other.

There is still a lot of work to do and I hope I can finish it. The town names are all generic name generated and eventually I will probably replace the more "corny" names eventually.

I had to bring the size of the file down quite a bit, but it looks ok except for the the full view which does not show the mountains very well.

### Latest WIP ###

Korash
01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
it doesn't show on the thumbnail, but when you look at the full picture, the grid lines seem to "cut up" the rest of the map. Maybe tone them down a bit.

Looks good otherwise.

Gandwarf
01-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Impressive looking map so far, Bohunk. I like the fact you are only using a couple of colors. Gives the map an older look and hides the fact it is being created digitally.

Ascension
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the way you've applied the "woodcut effect" to create hills...very original idea. Holy frejoles that's a lot of naming, kudos for that. Lookin good so far, no crits from me.

ravells
01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow, this is another Bohunk special...I was wondering when we were going to see one! I love the original way you've done the mountains. Top marks and repped from me!

Steel General
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I always enjoy looking at your work Bohunk, very inspiring and well executed. :)

joćo paulo
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Beautiful map, I like the style.
Good luck.

Rahva
01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow, this is very pretty :)

A couple of things:
The territory borders don't follow the actual territory. Meaning the line goes off the coast, see: Valport, Northshore, most of the unlabeled blue islands.
I'm not too sure about the little red/brown smudges. They look okay zoomed out, but close up it looks rather strange. Maybe lower the opacity a bit?
I'm not sure about the scale on this, but the placenames all look to be of more or less the same origin (old british with a dash of fantasy). If the area is large and spans more cultures, I think the names should be a little more diverse. Of course 3 out of 5 continents haven't been labeled yet so I might be a bit preemptive saying this.

I really really like the mountains, and if you have the time I'd love to see a tutorial for it :)
The fact that the map is sort of off-center makes it very interesting. Draws in the eye, so to speak. The lack of color is also very effective.
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

bryguy
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
This looks great :)

I dont really care tho how some of the lines end short and dont go all the way

Bohunk
01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. New update; I just wanted to get the bulk of the titles done with. I still wanna go back and rename some/most of them.

Korash: Absolutely right sir, I blurred the grid and brought the opacity down a bit.

Rahva: On many of the parchment maps that I look at with the outlines such as these the artist does not follow the coastline exactly which shows, I think, the hand drawn feel.

Again thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I second Bohunk on the "colored borders don't quite follow correctly in antique style hand drawn maps" thing. I've been studying these maps quite intently recently and they're there more as a suggestion than being perfectly fit.

aiRo25
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
No advice from me today, but I love your map! :D

Soixante
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Very nice. I love that the map 'continues off-screen', so to speak.

ravells
01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Sublime....utterly sublime.

Bohunk
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it. New update: up in the air on the sea color. I have seen this in maps like this before. For me I think it works. Let me know if I'm wrong. Added borders and most of the river names as well.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Outstanding! I love the colors. I think you spelled captain wrong though in the cartouche (you have captian of the waterfish) unless he's supposed to be a captian, then it's all good :)

Bohunk
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Outstanding! I love the colors. I think you spelled captain wrong though in the cartouche (you have captian of the waterfish) unless he's supposed to be a captian, then it's all good :)

Thanks Ascension, captain is now spelled correctly. Although I am thinking about redoing the title anyway if I have time. Thanks again.

Steel General
01-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Another great entry Bohunk...

aiRo25
01-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Gorgeous! Love the map.

Malakor
01-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Very nice. I love the way you did your mountainous areas. Very subtle and effective.

Beautiful map.

Bohunk
01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
New update. I wanted to finish up the river names and get some flourish on the cartouche before the weekend hit. I'm unsure on how mush time I will have over the weekend and wanted to get a somewhat final product out to ya before the competition ended. I have a blowup version so you can see some of the detail better. Thanks again for all the comments. And except for the generic labels; I am happy with this version.

### Latest WIP ###

Hawke
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Any tips on the mountain method? It looks pretty cool and unique.

torstan
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
You're not the only one that liked them. Bohunk did a tutorial on them here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4420

Hawke
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Excellent... I wonder how easy it'd be to set it up w/o using the FT steps. Thanks for the link, I'll have to play with this more.

I really enjoy this style...

torstan
02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Definitely fancy trying my had with this style. It's very effective.