PDA

View Full Version : January Entry: World of Graelor

Malakor
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I decided to put my meager skills into the mix of fine maps for this months challenge.

I'm going to create a 36" x 24" "Old-School" Styled map for a world I'm calling Graelor (just because that is the name that came to mind :P)

I'm going to incorporate some of the techniques I used in my Kingdom map and some of the results from the poll I posted in the regional mapping area with my question regarding forest styles.

My first step was to create the continental land masses.

I selected a small area, used a Clouds filter and then sized it up to almost the full size of the map.

I then adjusted the brightness and the threshold to create the landmasses.

I used this as a base level to create a white filled batch of landmasses that I put a stroke and a very small inner glow on.

I used the offset with wrap to make the left and right sides actually wrap around. Didn't worry about the top and bottom, I don't want to show the entire polar regions of the world.

These images are all sized down to 3600 x 2400 at 300 dpi. The working image is actually 300 dpi and 36" x 24" (10,800 x 7,200)

Malakor
01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Next I've put in the major mountain ranges and the deserts (yeah, I got both of these steps done yesterday, just haven't had a chance to post them yet)

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Yippee another entry! :D

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Ascension
01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Holy frejoles that's some serious amount of work putting those mountains in...kudos for the persistence :)

joćo paulo
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Competition continues!

Very well.

Malakor
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
During my lunch hour today I was able to get a coastal effect that worked for me (I tried for the woodcut effect but never could get it to look like what I wanted).

I then brushed in my forests. I've decided against showing tree trunks at this scale I Think. When I tried it, it kind of looked like an additional blur or shadow under the forest areas.

For regional maps, I'll probably use an effect similar to the B and/or C that I posted in my poll.

Now that I'm home for the evening, I'll be looking at names for the various locales.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Lookin pretty good there, nice job so far.

Korash
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
looking good.

1 critique though. It might just be me and me ancient eyes, but I am seeing the forests as standing higher than the mountains. Maybe do something about the shadow around them, or make the mountains larger.

Malakor
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Ah yes, these are the famous cloud forests of Graelor :P

Thanks for pointing that out Korash, I'll see if reducing the shadow a tad helps any.

I've named all the pertinent points, and sent all the impertinent points off to stand in a corner.

This map is now almost done, except for coming up with a suitable border and fine tuning a bit.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I know ya gotta shrink the image size down to upload but the forests just look like squiggly blobs to me and I thought they were lakes. Do they look better at full size? I'd like to see a screencap of a section at full size, if possible, or put the shadow back in and make the mountains taller. I'm liking the previous one better, altho that's just my opinion.

Malakor
01-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I been framed.

I'll post a close up of the full res showing the forests right behind this one.

### Latest WIP ###

Malakor
01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Oops, forgot the map :D
### Latest WIP ###

Malakor
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
And here is the full sized sample requested, showing the forests

I'm going to run one out tomorrow at my office on my plotter to get a better feel for how it looks as well.

Korash
01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
does look better with the forests as they are now.

Good work. 8)

hunab.cu
01-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Really nice!

But, the name "Norsca"... it's somewhat known to me, as there is one Norsca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsca) in Warhammer Fantasy setting ;)
Were you inspiring or is that just an accident?

Malakor
01-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Norsca just came to mind. I don't play warhammer.

I'm sure I've heard it before, but most games have something similar as a name for their 'norse' regions.

I almost used Njordlan, which I used in my last campaign (a few of the names are actually recycled from an old campaign I ran :D)

Malakor
01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
. . . And, I'm done!

After I framed it last night, I had my artisans carve a brass plaque so that it could be presented to his Most Dread Majesty, the Emperor, and I carved my name into the bottom of the frame, so his Majesty will know who to blame if he gets lost on his state visits :D

This was fun. Now I'm going to take this map and start creating an atlas for use in the game I'll eventually run using this.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the effort, Malekor! Because I too do hand-drawn work at times, I can truly appreciate the work. I'm so glad so many new members are participating this month - good luck to you all!

GP