PDA

View Full Version : Irony in a commission job...

Gamerprinter
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I didn't know where I should post this, but something funny happened to me today, at least I think so. Its pure irony in a commission job for Profantasy. While I am still building my Ukiyo-e map object set, they offered a commission on a separate, current project of theirs. Something that is not my aesthetic - Modern Setting map objects. I prefer the imaginative versus reality in object creation, but a job is still a job.

I'm currently creating objects you'd find in a typical modern office or commercial location - something for a crime investigation setting that Profantasy is working on.

I'm using Xara Xtreme to create most of the objects (some in 3D, though). They want me to create a sample map (paid) using the objects I create, but since I am not a CC3 mapper by any stretch of the imagination, they're allowing me to create it with whatever I'm comfortable at - Xara.

I think its pretty ironic that I'm creating a paid map for Profantasy, but I'm not using Profantasy software - too funny!

I won't be posting anything else, since it is a commission job, but to let you take a peak at the kind of stuff I'm making - here's a piece of the sample map. It should be low enough resolution, that the quality doesn't compromise it's value to the owner of the content - which is not me.

It looks more like something UKGPublishing would create!

GP

PS: I especially like the dumpster with garbage bags inside, the electrical meter by the back door, the telephone and the Walther PK peeking out from the drawer in the bosses desk...

RPMiller
01-21-2009, 02:10 AM
That is somewhat ironic and I have a pretty good idea I know what this is for. Simon's other company is Pelgrane press. They create roleplaying systems and associated material. One of their new systems/settings that is coming out real soon is called Mutant City Blues. It is a great setting and the system is really simple and fun to use. The system is called GUMSHOE and is specifically geared toward investigation type games. MCB has a nice twist though in that superpowers are real. The PCs are detectives with superpowers who use them to fight crime and solve cases. The level of superpowers is fairly low though. So the PCs are more like investigators that happen to have powers rather than powers in the shape of a character. I know this because I had the wonderful opportunity to playtest the game and run my local group through an adventure.

Anyway, regarding the objects everything looks really good except the dumpster and garbage bags. The inside of the dumpster is far too bright and clean, and the bags don't look like they have been tossed in. More like they have been carefully arranged.

I only point that out because in an investigation scenario (assuming my hunch is correct) something like what you have now on the map could mislead the players into asking a lot of red herring type questions. Yea, silly I know, but players can be strange beasts sometimes. LOL

I look forward to seeing the symbol set and final map when they publish it. Great stuff!

NeonKnight
01-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Wow, I would so LOVE to have a good CC3 set of Modern Symbols. I know when I was doing the SLAP'n'TICKLE map a few challenges ago, I would have loved some modern symbols.

Hoel
01-21-2009, 05:33 AM
I second RPMiller, it's too clean.
But it looks nice, it's a good idea and I for one could use more modern elements...

Steel General
01-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Well ironic or not congrats on more commissioned work GP!

I do agree with the others about the bags, though I'm sure you'll go back and have them looking appropriately 'garbagey' in no-time. :)

Gamerprinter
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
OK, I tweaked the garbage in the can - took a digital photo of my current garbage can and added it as a texture. Plus I threw in my telephone, my toilet with toilet paper, a filing cabinet and a photo-copier... enjoy!

GP

Sigurd
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Kudos to Profantasy for letting you work for them with your favourite software. I'm sure they will be pleased by what you create.

If you're out there 'Profantasy' you get the 'fair minded' cookie.:)

Sigurd

RPMiller
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
That's really the beauty of CC3. The symbols are all simply PNGs so you can create them in whatever program you want.

Gamerprinter
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Just finished my first Profantasy symbol set and map commission about 2 hours ago and uploaded it. Now I can get back to my Ukiyo-e project.

Strange, though I'm not a Modern RPG map maker or game player, I found it easy to create map symbols, if a bit boring for me. Since yesterday, I've created 38 individual objects and a sample map that includes them all.

Actually though their final format is PNG, on commission work they prefer PSD format, so they can break a symbol down, change colors if they desire, before exporting it. Luckily, Xara exports PSD with few problems. Some of the transparency filters for Xara don't export to PSD at all, so I have to be careful what transparency effects I employ.

GP

RPMiller
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
That is probably for the vari-colored symbols. For those that don't know, vari-colored symbols allow you to pick a color from the color palette and it changes the appropriate colored areas in the symbol. Pretty cool when you think about it because it potentially gives you 255 differently colored symbols for the price of one.

Gamerprinter
01-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Well Profantasy really liked the work I created for them, so they gave me a list of 285 items they want me to create - including accident victims, blood splatter and all kinds of fun stuff. This might not be as boring as I originally perceived! But it looks like I've got some work cut-out for me.

I will try to squeeze in a few Ukiyo-e items per day, in addition to that, so I don't have to completely shelf that project again. But paid work for map objects does take a priority.

I was searching for volumes of commission work, and it looks like I got it. ;)

GP

Hoel
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey! Put in a word for me. I'm unemployed and can crank out elements by the bucketload! :)

RPMiller
01-23-2009, 02:30 PM
That deserves a very big CONGRATS, GP! I look forward to eventually seeing your stuff show up.

torstan
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Congratulations. That is great news! Talent will out in the end :) They're lucky to have you.

Steel General
01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Congrats again, and well deserved.

Ascension
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
That's great GP, I'm very glad to see one of our own get ahead...and get some recognition as well. Make us proud :)

TheElf
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Congratulations!

saithan
01-24-2009, 07:49 AM
that is way cool.

man, I got to get a hold of a set like such. those would rock for my bi-monthly Shadowrun table top meet.

ravells
01-24-2009, 04:35 PM
That's great news! Well done, GP!

Gamerprinter
01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Another sneak peak. Just as I am eating a piece of toffee before I go to bed. I'm thinking, I better brush my teeth - I don't want to visit that chair.

Working off the medical portion of the list - Dentist's Chair.

Enjoy!

GP

Hoel
01-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Good looking stuff!

Steel General
01-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Where's Herbie the Elf? He wanted to be a dentist, he probably could use a chair like this.

Nice work GP!

Ascension
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks, I'll have to snag this for my ongoing Island map.

ProFantasy
02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
There is no irony in this at all. We want symbols, but symbols are not good unless they look right on a map. We need the map as a proof of concept. We don't care how the map is made. The skill set we are looking for is the ability to create good-looking PNGs which work on a map. This is independent of whether a person can use CC3 or not.

There is a big difference between originating an entire style of mapping and just using a pre-designed style to create a map in CC3. The former is complex in whatever software you use, the latter is quick to do in CC3. We don't need the map, other than to reproduce it in CC3 with the style. The skill set of making a complete CC3 style is another one altogether.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the complete symbol.

Robbie
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
As a CC3 user myself, I gotta say I thoroughly enjoy your business model.

I agree about the irony though, its not ironic that a symbol driven software developer would want an artist that doesn't work in symbols to make map symbols...Its best to get cohesive artwork from cohesive sources rather than just mish-mash it all together. The goal of any map-making software should be to give people who can't just paint a map from scratch 100% the ability to make a cohesive map utilizing a cohesive set of artwork assets.