PDA

View Full Version : Dragon cave

Hoel
01-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I relized I needed to map the cave my two red dragon wyrmlings live in. Check this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3866)thread for full story.
I tested out some elements from the dundjinni forum in this.. Almost all the elements and the cliffs are stolen from that forum.
And as usual, this is PS only.
My concerns right now is grid or no grid, and I'm thinking about the placement of the elements.
I think I spent more time looking for elements than actual mapping today...

Steel General
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Neat, it looks great...but I'm wondering if either/both of those 2 little dragons could lift a full grown cow?

Hoel
01-23-2009, 08:31 PM
The gobbos feed them.. They have been stealing a lot of cattle from the halflings and hoisting them up to the cave. That's the whole twist. The players will think they've won when they kill the big badass bugbear in the village, but when they climb to the cave they're in for a surprise.

Korash
01-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I think that the gobbos will need some sort of crane/hoist system in order to get these cows up there, and thats no Bull!. But actually it is! ;)

Looks good though

Ascension
01-24-2009, 03:02 AM
If the grid has to be there then so be it, but I'd vote for no grid. Looks great.

Steel General
01-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Agree with Ascension - dump the grid! Or at least hide it if you need it.

Hate to see how cobbled together that goblin crane is. :D

woekan
01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
The goblins can walk them in alive and then kill them. I like the map. poor cows

Hoel
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM
If you look at the gobbo encampment map, you'll see their ladders up to the cave. My thought is that they just tie a rope to the carcass and haul. They have some help from a half dozen hobgobbos and a bugbear.
But as you mention it.. i should have put a crane outside...

Rahva
01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
If you're gonna have a battle here, then yes to the grid. Otherwise it would look better without.

Hoel
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I'll post one with and one without in the finished maps board.
There will be a battle, but as we play online without a VTT (haven't decided on what *free* one to get, since my players are cheap) we won't use a grid anyway.
I just thought it would be good for scale

jaerdaph
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
The partially eaten jersey cow is an awesome touch! 8)

Hoel
01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
My players have beaten the gobbos and are about to enter the cave next time.
The gobbos were a bit tough on them and in the end there was only the cleric and the wizard left standing. The wizard used his caracter hook artefact, a summoner collar, to summon a Djinni to take out the remaining bugbear and gobbo archers. He had to pledge a geas to the djinni in exchange for his service.
Next time dragons... Hopefully I have found a VTT to use by then.

RPMiller
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
WHAT?!? You haven't found a VTT to use? Have you not seen any of my posts or the link in my sig? ;)

Seriously though, there are a lot of VTTs out there but only really a handful of them are worth using. It really comes down to do you want to pay for one, and where do you want the strength of the app to be? The best place to start is always here:

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html

My personal preference is obviously MapTool, but you'll have to find what works best for you and your group. If you have any VTT questions, there is a separate VTT forum which is a great place to ask them. :)

Hoel
02-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Sorry, you misunderstood. I haven't found one that i can convince my players to adopt.
I've put aside a couple of hours today to really look in to VTTs
And i seem to have promised gandwarf some sort of WIP on my PS/CD3 hybrid

Redrobes
02-01-2009, 08:37 AM
There are about half a dozen good VTTs but the only good free one is MapTool.

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
There are about half a dozen good VTTs but the only good free one is MapTool.
From what I've seen lately on the RPTools forums, OpenRPG is still holding on strong and apparently there is a new version, OpenRPG+, which is apparently pretty good. The rumor from EnWorld is that ORPG is still on top because they have a lobby feature. I really find that hard to believe that that is the reason. I personally think people just don't like to change.

That said, I agree that MapTool is the only good free one though, but that is a personal choice. The most important aspect to me is that a VTT is system agnostic. Period. If I can't use it for any system I want, than it really isn't worth it to me.

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
And i seem to have promised gandwarf some sort of WIP on my PS/CD3 hybrid

I would rather call it a pledge. On your soul that is.

Hoel
02-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I started out a bit but got really ****ed off when I couldn't get rid of green artefacts on my roofs.
And I wanted to export the roofs+effects to a transparent png, but all i got was white background.

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I started out a bit but got really ****ed off when I couldn't get rid of green artefacts on my roofs.
And I wanted to export the roofs+effects to a transparent png, but all i got was white background.

You are just making up excuses :D

The green artefacts are weird though. You did click on the redraw button?

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
It should actually perform a redraw in memory before it exports so I don't think that is the issue. That is very odd though. It could be that you actually found a bug.

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah ok, there shouldn't be any artefacts after exporting. I thought Hoel was talking about artefacts during the time he was creating the map.

Hoel, maybe you want to share the FCW file, so we can have a look? :D

Hoel
02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I cut a piece of the render where you can see green lines among the roofs.
In the zip is the file I'm working on.

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
When placing those houses you had a green color selected. I am not sure yet how it works, but I noticed it in some of my maps. The houses get a border with the color you have selected while placing them. That's why I make sure I have a neutral color (like grey) selected. So my houses get a grey border, but that tends to blend in. This is why I love CD3, I have spent hundreds of hours using it and still I learn new stuff every day ;)

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Yup. I believe Gandwarf is spot on. I've never seen that happen before, but like him I tend to have neutral colors selected rather than the default neon green.

Hoel
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok. Green seems to be the default color for that document.
Good to know.
If I can figure some way to separate the building+shadows in a qick and easy way (render with transparent background would be optimal) I could get back to actually mapping instead of just fighting with it.

Gandwarf
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
You might want to post your questions on the Profantasy forum. There's a few uber users over there, like Ralf.