PDA

View Full Version : The Unseen Fortress

valadaar
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
A map that I consider finished at this point, though I'm open for any feedback that could improve it.

Its a map illustrating a location submission on another site that deals with RPG ideas. Google my handle if you want to find it, or drop me a PM. I'm not quite sure what the rules are on that front.

It is an island fortress, the idea being that the land itself provides much of the defense. The forests are filled with dangerous trees, garden areas with bizarre and deadly vegetation, and the other areas no better.

Its based on RobA's most excellent "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" tutorial, though with some adjustments.

Ascension
01-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Not too shabby although I'd add a bit of yellow or brown into the mix for the forest (looks a lil bright IMO). Nice job, though, other than that.

Redrobes
01-24-2009, 08:14 AM
The thumbnail looks stupendous but when you open it up its a little blurry. It makes me feel as though if you could make the map at double or quad res and then shrink then you would have an excellent way of doing that at full size. I am wondering if its just that the bumpiness or grain size of the textures are a bit large and that its just down to shrinking the texture size for a more grainy look rather than bumpy look. Anyhow its a great map and the technique is coming along real well. Repped.

Steel General
01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Overall I think its quite good.

However, I agree with Redrobes. When I opened it up it seemed very blurry to me. Now maybe that was intentional. I also thin i'd reduce to opacity of the grid just a bit. It takes away from the rest of the image IMO.

joćo paulo
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
This place seems very strange

valadaar
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Admin - can you move this to Work in progress? I am going to revise it a bit.

RobA
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Admin - can you move this to Work in progress? I am going to revise it a bit.

As it is written, so shall it be done.

;)

-Rob A>

valadaar
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Okay, moved back in time a bit on this one - pre legend, etc, to address the blur issue and a couple other comments.

One technique I have found to have interesting effects (in GIMP) is to use the noise->hurl filter, with 100% randomness. This seems to produce a very random texture that I like. The forest was produced in this manner.

Thoughts?

RobA
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Hurl is handy.

If you add a light bumpmap on a hurled layer you get a bit more texture, too.

-Rob A>

valadaar
02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Has this addressed the blur situation? I've looked at this one enough I'm afraid I can't see it :P

Steel General
02-07-2009, 08:51 AM
It's definitely better, though the texture you're using in the middle tends to look blurry (at least for me) - that may have been part of the problem with your initial map.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to give more opinions.

Drunkbard
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I like this map a lot, it's got a lot of potential!
One thing I have noticed, and I may be wrong here, but your river seems to start at flat forest land rather than Mountain or higher ground, is this right?
On the whole though a great map, keep it up!

ravells
02-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Much better but the mountains aren't 'quite' there for me. Is there any way you could accentuate the elevation and make the general mass a little more crinkled around the edges?

valadaar
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Okay. I had trimmed out the scale with the legend. The island is only supposed to be a couple of miles wide. The mountains are supposed to be cliffs - an area where landing by boat would be quite dangerous.

I'll look at replacing the middle texture - it is supposed to be a massive garden region rife with bizarre plants.