PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ball World

Ascension
01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
SG had mentioned an effect which he perceived in one of IG's maps (a cloudy window on Merrymeet) so that gave me an idea to try out a crystal ball effect. I was initially thinking of doing something like a tilt/shift or lens blur but I just went with an easy radial blur (set to zoom) around the edges. I then spent a few hours trying to do a crystal ball. I even used a JFJ mask (yay me) for some color tweaks (a b/w fade in to accompany the blur). Anyways, just something I wanted to experiment with and certainly needs some work but someone could use the idea and take it further...i.e. make it better.

woekan
01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Very cool. Maybe you can make the land a bit more 'fish eyed' so that it in the inside of the ball like a globe?

I like this effect very much.

Ascension
01-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I wasn't too happy about my blur so I went ahead and did it with lens blur and then added a spherize to give it some bulge.

Jkaen
01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Right now at first glance its not clear the lakes are not part of the globe effect, I would suggest making them darker for this map

Redrobes
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I approve heh heh

/_______________
\

(I have bigger version if people are interested.)

RPMiller
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Well done! I was going to do something similar in a challenge awhile back, but ended up having my free time snatched away sort of like how it is now. Anyway, if you are interested here is what I was initially looking to do: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=772

Ascension
01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks RR; and pretty cool RP...I'm one of those guys who has read every single tut on making those darn shiny balls but I've never gotten anything that I like so I probably overdo mine. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on this cuz I wanted to crush my foes in some Civ today but it's now 4 pm and I made some fixes on the lakes. I hope this is the last as it was just intended to be a little playing around in the sandbox thingie. I might put some kind of face reflection or something on it but not right now.

Steel General
01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
I like both ideas (Ascensions & RP's) - very cool.

@Ascension - I had posted a response to this (or I thought I had) where I mentioned that the lakes look pixelated - but you've already fixed that so I all I can say is... great job!

Jkaen
01-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Looks much better now, well done

joćo paulo
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
A very imprecive picture!