PDA

View Full Version : CD3 - Town of Loudwater

JFJohnny5
01-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I just got City Designer 3 this weekend. Here's my first effort after some fooling around. It's my own interpretation of the Town of Loudwater form the D&D 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Wow! Is this really your first?
It's a bit square, something that i think is very common in CD3 maps, and you have that non-standard-bottom-right lighting that I'm not comfortable with... That's just my hangups, not critical things.
Great map, this makes me want to buy CD3 right now.
Two questions;
-Is there some reason most walls comes out square, is something preventing more organic shaped walls?
-Can you make other types of walls? I'm thinking about glacis walls, earthworks, trenches and such...

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Nice map Johnny, especially for the first map you made with CD3. Repped.

Wow! Is this really your first?
It's a bit square, something that i think is very common in CD3 maps, and you have that non-standard-bottom-right lighting that I'm not comfortable with... That's just my hangups, not critical things.
Great map, this makes me want to buy CD3 right now.
Two questions;
-Is there some reason most walls comes out square, is something preventing more organic shaped walls?
-Can you make other types of walls? I'm thinking about glacis walls, earthworks, trenches and such...

- It's possible to make much more organic walls.
- You can make other types of walls, like palissades, earthworks, moats, etc.

Also you can mess with the lightning effects in CD3. There's a function to move the sun direction for example and all entities will cast an opposing shadow (you can change that on the fly).

Steel General
01-27-2009, 07:07 AM
This is really nice, especially if it's your first map with CD3. The roads look very good I think.

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Hoel
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I got my paycheck so I think I'll celebrate by going to a "gentlemans club" as someone suggested... or maybe pick up CC3 and CD3 since there's no clubs of that nature in my town.

Steel General
01-27-2009, 07:15 AM
CC3 & CD3 are probably a better investment of your money anyway...

Vandy
01-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Hello, JFJ.

You've really done a super job on your first city map. It is quite nice. I most certainly am going to get this software. Thanks for sharing your work and I look forward to more from you.

Regards,

Gary

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
If you decide to buy any Profantasy products you can make Arcana happy by going to the Cartographers Guild homepage and clicking on the Profantasy banner (you need to scroll all the way down).

Hoel
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Do I get a discount or something?
Sorry bout the threadjack Johnny..

woekan
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Very cool first City Designer map.

Steel General
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Not sure about the discount - but I believe Arcana gets credit of some sort - not sure if its monetary or something else, because the referring URL is the guild site.

JFJohnny5
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the comments and the rep.

The walls are very square by design on this map. When i was first messing around I played with curved walls. But when I decided to sit down and actually make a full map, I chose to reproduce (with some artistic license) the map of Loudwater from the FR Campaign Guide, which had the same square walls. So yes, you can make the walls much more organic and flowing than this.

I haven't messed with changing the angle of the sun. I know it's an option. Just not one I've explored.

jfrazierjr
01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Not sure about the discount - but I believe Arcana gets credit of some sort - not sure if its monetary or something else, because the referring URL is the guild site.

No discount that I know of, however, I believe Robbie does get credit for each referred purchase and has the ability to get product from them after X referred purchase... He has has also unofficially stated that any such free product may go toward monthly challenge prize offerings to the winner.....

landorl
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I couldn't stop myself from giving you some rep on this map. Great job!

I can see what they say about the straight walls, but it works fine for this map. Maybe on other cities you might want to change it up a bit, but this is great as it is.