PDA

View Full Version : *** January Challenge - Create a Map for Print! ***

RPMiller
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
VOTE FOR 4 ENTRIES!!!

Make sure to give the entrants you voted for some rep!

The challenge was:

The theme is Create a Map for your RPG campaign or fantasy novel - create a map that best fits your needs! Anything goes, this is a FREE FOR ALL theme. Do you need a city map, a regional map, and encounter map for your next gaming session? Anything qualifies.

Thumbnail page is here (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Jan09.htm).
General Rules are here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=503).

RPMiller
01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Voting was once again quite challenging. I had to really scrutinize to get down to the 4, but honestly everyone did a terrific showing that made it to the finish line. Well done all! Rep is on its way if I haven't already repped you. :)

Midgardsormr
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Hoel, Bohunk, ukgpublishing, and Nomadic.

Hoel's image is a superior example of draughtsmanship, and yet it's still beautiful. It is rare enough that technical excellence meets artistic merit; this is what it looks like.

Bohunk's entry is a perfect example of the old-world style; I wouldn't mind having this one hanging on my wall at all.

ukgpublishing's entry has some technical flaws, but as a battlemat, it is by far the most useful entry for gaming. I'd like to see some more time taken to resolve the compositing issues, so that the objects become a part of the scene, rather than looking like they've simply been pasted down on it.

Finally, Nomadic's entry is clean and attractive, and it has a strong and unique style of its own. The colors are particularly appealing to me. It would be good if the type was a bit more legible. It is not easy to read this map at a glance, though at full scale that might not be as much of an issue.

Well done everyone!

Gamerprinter
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I've definitely got my own top four contenders, here, but it might be best if I abstained from voting this month, since I am the prize provider. It would be unfair for the "prize provider" to select whom should receive that prize - so I won't do it.

However, I will mention: Hoel, Bohunk, UKGPublishing and Munks were my favorites.

Good luck to everyone!

GP

Ydars
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Hoel's map is great; clean and slick looking and I love East Tharduur and its antique look. Steel General's mountains are fantastic and IndustryGothica's map is also very well put together.

Damn! Wish I had found a way around the upload problems; I just couldn't get any decent version of my map onto the net. That will teach me to start with 12000 x 12000 pixels. Still, you live and learn.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
It was pretty easy choice for me, only real problem was between Steel General and ukgpublishing but the Zs won this time... I told you I wanted a rimfall SG! :)
I voted:
-ukgpublishing: For the Z! I just love zombies...
-Monks: It's a great project, and I'd love to have that in print too. If you win I request that GP puts it in the inventory and figures out how to ship to sweden
-Bohunk: Old classic atlas. If I had only one vote, this would be it. Superb
-Ascension: One of the coolest styles in this challenge. I want a tut

There we go.
I'm feeling lucky!

Steel General
01-27-2009, 01:11 PM
... I told you I wanted a rimfall SG! :) Well you wanted a cannon too, but you didn't get that either, did you? :D

This was a bit difficult this month - unfortunately I sneezed in the middle of voting and accidentally hit the submit button - so I only voted for 3; Hoel, Bohunk & Monks.

My 4th vote (pre-sneeze), would've went to Ascension.

EDIT: Repped everyone but Monks, who I probably recently repped in the ME-DEM thread.

Rahva
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I voted Hoel, Gorkamorka, MarkusTay and Ukgpublishing. :)

Ascension
01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I went with Bohunk cuz I'm a sucker for a well done antique style; Hoel for the technical skill; IG because I'm also a sucker for a well done artistic style; and Monks for the sheer amount of effort and stick-to-it-tiveness.

Korrigan
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Bohunk, Bryguy, Nomadic & Landguard for me !

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Hoel, Nomadic, Bohunk and Valarian.

Why did I vote like this?
Well, Hoel and Bohunk need no further explanation I think, as they seem to be the favorites at the moment.

Both Nomadic's and Valarian's map have a simple, yet very effective and elegant style. Maps that would look great in any fantasy game or whatever. That's why I picked them.

ukgpublishing
01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi all

Thanks for everyone who like my entry. In my case I voted for (in no particular order).

Malakor - I really liked the simplicity of this map, the monochrome style just made it stand out to me.
Steel General - Epic level gaming look out, I would love to get a party of epic characters to stop around this vision of the heavens.
Ascension - Of all the entries this one struck me as the most 'technically' perfect, and as a campaign map would put most of those put out in commercial setting to shame.
And finally, Bohunk - I was actually at work today (I work at the school of Geography at Nottingham University) and saw a map on the head of schools wall. This particular map was of an English Town (I forget which) from 1757 and I honestly believe that if you hung Bohunks map on the same wall you would have difficulty telling which one was the antique.

On the whole, well done to everyone. It has been an interesting experience for me an good luck to you all.

John

RPMiller
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
So I have to ask. Did everyone find it easier to vote with the names sorted or with the entry names sorted (in the November challenge)?

torstan
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Sorted by name is great - I definitely look for the map by looking for the mapper, rather than the other way around.

Good entries this week, and Bohunk's map is just lovely as a piece of art as well as a great map. Hoel's was an education and an excellent execution from such a new arrival. The rest have some lovely features, but these two stand out as worthy front runners.

Well done to all those who entered, and especially well done to those who produced a competed map - it's a major accomplishment with the criteria for this months challenge.

Greason Wolfe
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
A wee bit tough this time cause I liked them all, but when I got right down to it, Bohunk, Hoel, SG and Nomadic got my votes, each for their own merits. Just wish I hadn't gotten side-tracked on my entry.

GW

Sagenlicht
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
So I have to ask. Did everyone find it easier to vote with the names sorted or with the entry names sorted (in the November challenge)?
At least for me its way easier if its sorted by names :) Would love to see it sorted always that way.

Ok my votes did go to:

Bohunk - Nice map, dunno what to add :)
Hoel - Again a nice map, I especially like the trees, I wonder if I could do this in GIMP as well?
SteelGeneral - Hmm I think thats the 3rd time in a row I voted for SG... I guess I really like the way he is doing his maps :) Guess its time for a fanboi shirt SG :)
bryguy - I found the version with the notes even better, still I like the idea behind it. I think the map inside the book could have been a bit bigger but the entry got some nice flavor :)

As usual great entries, wasnt easy to pick out only 4 votes. languard, Ascension and Malakor were close runner ups. I liked Ravha's map as well, sadly it aint finished.

Nomadic
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Great job to everyone who entered, this was fun, and as my first time in this contest I must say I very much enjoyed it (and can't wait for next month). Anyhow, on to my votes.

Ascension:
Pros - The map is wonderfully done, the borders make nations stand out well and the labels look very elegant.
Cons - The ocean bugs me since it looks like the land is actually lower than the open ocean. I might suggest that you remove the ocean height map to make it more like an atlas.

Bohunk:
Pros - Everything about this screams classic, it is just a straight up beautiful map. This old style is something that would look awesome on any gaming table (or wall).
Cons - The only thing that I don't like is that the countries continue outside the border which looks kind of weird. I might suggest expanding the border out towards the edge more if you want to keep those locations and just clipping them at the end.

Hoel:
Pros - Where can I begin? This map is so professionally done. The high quality, the realistic look, and the fact that it is of an actual landmark (which still amazes me).
Cons - There are none I can find, this is something worthy of being sold in a shop.

Steel General:
Pros - The realistic terrain is something I love and I can obviously see you put loving care into each and every label. The map is large and well varied (a treat to my eyes as I wander from place to place looking at all the different things).
Cons - Your grass texture is very blurry. I might suggest a higher resolution, or possibly adding a small touch of monochromatic noise.

Bohunk
01-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Okies. SG, Hoel, Monk & Val.

Nice job done by all, even some that were not completed. I hope you guys finish!

Robbie
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I strongly encourage everyone who entered that doesn't win to definitely continue to work on your entry and then send it off to GamerPrinter's shop to have it printed anyways! He's been a great contributer to the site in more ways than one!

Thank you GP and thank you to everyone who entered!

Nomadic
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I strongly encourage everyone who entered that doesn't win to definitely continue to work on your entry and then send it off to GamerPrinter's shop to have it printed anyways! He's been a great contributer to the site in more ways than one!

Thank you GP and thank you to everyone who entered!

This is something I would love to do. I cannot afford to though. Indeed though I would like to give my thanks to GP for being willing to host such an awesome contest (with a very awesome prize).

Gamerprinter
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks, Arcana for those kind words.

Unless any of the entrants forbid it, I would like to post all the entries as available content for print orders at Gamer Printshop. Even the ME DEM map, I think, though it is of Tokien's published work.

This wasn't our biggest challenge as far as entries go, but I think in the top three anyway, so I think this challenge was a great success! I can't wait to print the winning map - whomever that might belong!

GP

Nomadic
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Unless any of the entrants forbid it, I would like to post all the entries as available content for print orders at Gamer Printshop. Even the ME DEM map, I think, though it is of Tokien's published work.

This wasn't our biggest challenge as far as entries go, but I think in the top three anyway, so I think this challenge was a great success! I can't wait to print the winning map - whomever that might belong!

GP

Not the contest one no. However, I will clean it up and then give you the version that you can sell. I need to do a small bit of anti-aliasing and some prettying up of the text first.

Ydars
01-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I too, would like to get my map printed, but need to modify it first. Can you do a 1M x 1M print Gamerprinter?

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Gods Damned! This was sooooooo hard, of course, the entries that said "I can't finish, I'm out" made it a little easier ;)

But my votes went to (In no particular order):

Hoel: Loved the city map, looked cool and would love to see it on my wall :)

Valarian: Becuase, well, I just LUV a well done CC3 map.

Bohunk: Loved the look of this map, and again, I could easily see that as a large map on my wall :D

Finally,

UKGPUblishing: I loved the whole Zmbie apocalypse thing (look for my on STEAM for L4D as ATF_NeonKnight II BF2 ;))

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Whew! Lotta work to rep everyone. I hope I got all of ya ;)

Rahva
01-28-2009, 05:09 AM
I might just get this printed anyway, that's a good idea (and an incentive for me to actually finish something once in my life). The world Hermeiis is in is a pretty huge project for me that will span years, so it won't hurt to have the map in physical form.

I also just realised 2 of my votes went the wrong way - I had the maps I was voting for clear in my mind's eye except I got the names wrong and now I voted for 2 people that dropped out :D Ah well.

Also NeonKnight I think I might have played with you at some point.

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
I might just get this printed anyway, that's a good idea (and an incentive for me to actually finish something once in my life). The world Hermeiis is in is a pretty huge project for me that will span years, so it won't hurt to have the map in physical form.

I also just realised 2 of my votes went the wrong way - I had the maps I was voting for clear in my mind's eye except I got the names wrong and now I voted for 2 people that dropped out :D Ah well.

Also NeonKnight I think I might have played with you at some point.

Do you mean in L4D? If so what is your STEAM ID And I will look :D

monks
01-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Good luck to everyone!

Yep, we're gonna continue (ha...like we wouldn't..lol), and I've got a few requests for print copies.

monks

Valarian
01-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I'd like to make some modifications to the image first (copyrighting and cartographer name for instance). I'd also like to pull together some notes on the peninsular for gamers. It'd be an opportunity to finish off the Player's Guide that I started. Might it also help you to have the original CC3 file? (not sure if the fonts will cause issues).

Congratulations to everyone who finished (and commiserations to those whose real life gets in the way). It's been another good showing ....
*goes away muttering about too much blooming talent on the board* ;)

Gandwarf
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Do you mean in L4D? If so what is your STEAM ID And I will look :D

Completely off-topic, but you mean you all played L4D :D
I loved that game... until I finished all the campaigns (and that was pretty quickly) and then it got really boring :(

Steel General
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM

GP

You're more than welcome to it GP -though you may want the full res/size version. If so PM me the info on how I can best send it to you (and what format you prefer).

Sagenlicht
01-28-2009, 09:41 AM

GP
Sure go ahead and add mine GP. Though when I take a look on the current vote standing I doubt mine will be sold that often. just pm me, so I know how to send you the the file, cause I guess you do not wan to ues the .jpg version of it.

I was planning to do a few maps for your shop anyways, but didnt have the time to do anything in the last month :(

Greason Wolfe
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM

GP

I wouldn't mind that at all, but I'd like to finish the project up first, and that may take a little bit of time if things don't settle down in the real world. When it's ready, however, I'd be glad to send it your way. And thanks much for making the offer.

GW

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Completely off-topic, but you mean you all played L4D :D
I loved that game... until I finished all the campaigns (and that was pretty quickly) and then it got really boring :(

That's why I Play VERSUS a lot. Nothing like Puking on ALL four survivors as the Boomer, or schmucking all of them as the Tank :D

bryguy
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
wow, 6 whole votes! thats the most Ive ever had lol

Steel General
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
This has pretty much turned into a 2 horse race... but congrats to everyone who participated.

Nomadic
01-28-2009, 02:45 PM
This has pretty much turned into a 2 horse race... but congrats to everyone who participated.

I am amazed that I am tied for sixth (and tied with someone as good as ascension). I don't care if I didn't win this one, that that many people think I deserve to win was treat enough. Thanks everyone.

Redrobes
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I usually use one vote for the best map in my opinion overall, one usually goes to the best technical map, one for the one that meets the criterion the best and I spread the rest out as I like where I often bias these extra votes in favor of new participants. But since this month my effort has been on a map jointly done with Monks and therefore of dubious entry qualification my voting is going to be equally dubious :P.
Mmmm pig has retired leaving four people with no votes and in fact all of those four entries are really good so they're getting my votes as a token of appreciation of entering. As is often the case, its turning into a two horse race and I could not bring myself to choose between them. Both are excellent but very different styles and both deserve to win.
To just complete the map we made was a personal win after being adrift with it for sooo long in the seas of despair.

RobA
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Rep for everyone who entered (whack, whack, thud, bonk, thunk...)

(at least who I could rep)...

-Rob A>

languard
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Given that this is the first serious map attempt I've done in over a year, and experimenting with a new style to boot, I'm very, very pleased that I got one vote :)

With regards to offering the map for print, I have no objections. When you want/need a higher-res version, PM me with details of what you need.

Midgardsormr
01-29-2009, 12:45 AM
and in fact all of those four entries are really good so they're getting my votes as a token of appreciation of entering.

I will in no way turn it down! Thanks, RR, for the support.

And many thanks for the rep. I wish I'd been able to finish under the deadline, but school work takes precedence, as usual. On the other hand, Hoel's castle is so inspiring that I might make it the subject of one of my projects coming up soon. Whether I draw Carlsborg or something else, though, I'll definitely post it up here.

Jkaen
01-29-2009, 06:26 AM
As otehrs are saying, if it came down to just having the 1 map on my wall it would be bohunks

loongtim
01-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Wow, hard decision. Since it's going to print, I just voted based on what I thought would look best on my wall: Bohunk, Ascension, bryguy and Hoel. And honorable mentions all around.

JoeyD473
01-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow, all the one I voted for, with the exception of 1 are doing horribly in the voting

joo paulo
01-31-2009, 01:11 PM
It seems that bohunk will win.
Good, because it is my favorite!

Nomadic
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
It seems that bohunk will win.
Good, because it is my favorite!

Yea Bohunk has some real talent. I wanted either him or Hoel to win.

Hoel
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Bohunk is my fav too.
Congrats to the win!

Sagenlicht
02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Well personally I think more than one entry would have deserved seeing a print :)

And Hoel, voting aint over yet :)

Hoel
02-01-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm not going to pick up 5 votes that bohunk doesn't over night.
More than half of the voters voted on me and bohunk but he got a couple votes that I didn't, but I hardly got any that he didn't. The trend won't turn that radically.
I think the race is over, now it's just a matter of how many votes bohunk will finish on.

I'm quite pleased to finish second in my first ever challenge.

Ascension
02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah, congrats to you for that...I think the best I ever did was honorable mention (story of my life). And grats to Bo as well for a sweet sweet antique map.

Steel General
02-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I think that makes 3 out of the last 4 for Bohunk - an impressive streak to say the least. :)

Nomadic
02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Indeed, I am glad though. Not only did someone win who really deserved it, but enough people thought I deserved a shot that I wound up in 5th place. For my first time through these contests that is an incredible honor for me.

Congratulations to the winners as well as to everyone else who entered. It was alot of fun for me and I hope for the rest of you all. Here's to the next contest, may it have as many entries and as much activity (I know I will be joining it).

Redrobes
02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Well done Bohunk - 73 % of vote is pretty decisive and to Hoel too for an amazing map also. Doubly amazing that a map that good still cant win - man, these challenges are getting tough. Lets hope we see some of these in the GP shop soon. Send in any photos of people holding up poster sized prints or tables draped with these battlemaps ;)

Bohunk
02-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow! This is a great honor and I appreciate every vote. I honestly thought SG would win. When I first saw his map I was floored. My map is a decent copy of a style of map making, but Hoels, SGs and almost everybody elses maps are unique, well at least unique to me, so I thought I would lose badly.

Anyway, thanks again.

Korash
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
yup, Congrats to all.

I can't complain about how it went either. All four of my votes made the top 4 8) but my fav didn't win (sorry Bo, but I have a cannon fetish ;) ) but it was still a well deserved win for Bohunk

Gamerprinter
02-02-2009, 01:58 AM
I will setup the FTP account tomorrow, so Bohunk can upload his map to the Gamer Printshop server, so I can get his map printed. Bohunk send me a PM with your mailing address so I can get this map to you.

I will also be sending out account information to the other entrants, so that other entries can be loaded for posting on the Gamer Printshop Ecommerce site for sales, and Guild profits! Looks like the site will be getting some great maps to offer! :D

GP

Greason Wolfe
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Just wanted to take a moment to congratulate everyone involved in this month's challenge. There was some real beautiful work and even though I wasn't able to finish my entry in time, the learning experience was good and the feedback was even better. And I would especially like to thank GP for sponsoring the challenge.

GW

ukgpublishing
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Let me second, or is it twentieth everyone in my congrats to Bohunk and all the other entrants. I picked a tough month to throw my hat into the arena, but the entries were excellent and as I said before it wouldn't have suprised me if Bohunks map had turned up in the School Antique Map Library ;)

Later all

John

Robbie
02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Better late than never...Very well done everyone, and congrats on the win Bohunk! Send us proof!

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Congrats Bohunk!

GP, do you think you could post a picture of the map coming off the printer or something? I think it would be fun to see it even if it is in a photo. :)

mmmmmpig
02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
congrats bohunk!

Ydars
02-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Congrats Bohunk; excellent map! Hoel's was also brilliant.

NeonKnight
02-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Congrats to all to who entered, and especiallly to Bohunk!

Malakor
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Congratulations and Well Done all.

ravells
02-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Great map and a well deserved win, Bohunk!