PDA

View Full Version : I did it! CC3+CD3 is ordered!

Hoel
01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
They offer me to download hig res bitmaps. What are those and do I want them?
They really got some fast servers, takes me 10mins to download both programs.

RPMiller
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
The high res bitmaps are the symbols that will be placed on the maps you make. They are larger size files thus the question, but they have much higher resolution should you need it.

Oh and congrats on the new software! I definitely look forward to seeing what you can do with it given your talents in PhotoShop.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
You'll have to wait 10 years or so before I'm as proficient with CC as I am with photoshop.
I'll stick with the standard or draw my own for now then.
Installing... right... now... It'll be a long night!

Steel General
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
*envisions Hoel bleary-eyed in front of his PC* "Just one more building then I go to sleep, one more tower then I go to sleep, one more section of wall than I go to sleep..." :D

Ascension
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, and he's gonna be like that for the next week or so until he has it totally mastered...sounds like a lot of fun actually :)

Nomadic
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Awesome man, I really want to get it myself, don't yet have the money though.

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Congrats Hoel. I expect at least a dozen city maps by tomorrow.
Oh, and maybe we have to set up a fund for several people expressing interest in CC3/CD3, but who are broke :P

Hoel
01-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I've finished the first part of your tut, but can't find the export button...
Let's explore profrantasys help files...
I like it and I'm beginning to understand better the amount of work that goes in to Gandwarfs maps.
I've found a few features I'll explore a bit.. Using sheats to make multi leveled buildings and so on.
Ok, questions for the pros now:
-Using a bitmap as background.. possible?
-How do i add textures. Mostly thinking roof textures. Is it just to put a .png in the right folder and selecting it in CD?
-Where do i change the sun angle for the shadows?
-Can i export the roofs+shadows in a transparent png?
-Can i export just one sheat by just hiding the rest?

My first impression of usability is to build a rough map with full effect roofs and exporting just roof sheat to use in raster maps.
At least I'm having fun!

Hoel
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
AHA! First map with CD3, I hope you didn't expect miracles. This was made following the tut and without any planning.
I solved that AA problem too:
-Exported in 2x final res
-Open in PS
-Duplicate layer x2
-On top layer: Smart blur with Edge only, radius 1, threshold 33 (fiddle with it until only the edges of the symbols and houses are visible
-Select->color range white on that layer, then hide it and move down one layer
-Feather selection 1px
-Blur 0.5px
-Deselect.
-Done.
-Compare to background layer.
-Profit

Ascension
01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Lookin good. I expect that you'll be the first to figure out how to fix that overlapping shadow that the software does.

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Looking good Hoel. Something is telling me you are going to create some great maps using CD3. I see you are already experimenting with stuff, like the special shape of the castle and the house on top of the tower. And the AA really is a lot better in your map :)

As for your questions, most are beyond me to answer. I never needed the stuff you are asking, so I have no knowledge of it. I poured most of my knowledge into the tutorials.
The force is strong in you...

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Lookin good. I expect that you'll be the first to figure out how to fix that overlapping shadow that the software does.

That would be something like the holy grail :)
Fortunately most of my maps are so big it isn't really an issue.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Dunno if i fix it.. but i sure noticed it.
If there is some masking capabilities of some sort in there somwhere I have a few ideas... Or maybe exporting one unshadowed render and another with just the sheats that have shadows and using 100% opacity shadows and then using that layer as an semi transparent overlay in photoshop.
Exporting sheat by sheat and combining in photoshop seems like a better and better prospect.
Is there anyway to automate that? some script or something?

Hoel
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh. and did you notice that 1point shadow i put on the brige, that's my first off course experiment :)

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh. and did you notice that 1point shadow i put on the brige, that's my first off course experiment :)

Not until you mentioned it, but it does look better.
I think my style works best for larger (and thus zoomed out) cities. Effects like shadows on the bridges then get lost anyway. AA is also less of an issue.

The mapping flame kinda died out in me, but as soon as it flares up again I must experiment some more :)
I am seeing a lot of CD3 maps all of a sudden and thus new things.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I did it Ascension! Overlapping shadows solved with photoshop.
I just made one render with 100% opacity shadows and one without shadows. Put one over the other and adjust transparency. Bingo!
Next challenge?

Steel General
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
cool stuff Hoel!

Ascension
01-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I had guessed that the multiple export then recombine in PS was the answer but since I don't have CC3 or CD3 I was just making an assumption. I'm glad that you actually did it so I expect some rather killer stuff now ;)

Midgardsormr
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Regarding exporting sheet by sheet, I'm sure it can be automated--CC3 has a relatively powerful scripting capability.

One caution: make sure you export your map border each time to give CC3 a reference point for the relative resolution of each sheet. Otherwise, if you have a sheet that does not cover as much area as the others, it will export larger than it should.

Hoel
01-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Since I'm about as good at scripting as I am at licking my own elbow, would someone who has some skills *please* make something of this?
The way this could improve the quality of CD3 and raster maps alike...
A way to make CD3/PS hybrid maps would be the best thing I can think of.

RPMiller
01-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I've finished the first part of your tut, but can't find the export button...
Let's explore profrantasys help files...
I like it and I'm beginning to understand better the amount of work that goes in to Gandwarfs maps.
I've found a few features I'll explore a bit.. Using sheats to make multi leveled buildings and so on.
Ok, questions for the pros now:
-Using a bitmap as background.. possible?

Yes. In fact that is the method for tracing over raster images.

-How do i add textures. Mostly thinking roof textures.
Is it just to put a .png in the right folder and selecting it in CD?

You actually add the texture to the symbol if you are talking raster texture. I believe you can do it with sheet effects as well, but I haven't really had time to get into them enough to explain how.

-Where do i change the sun angle for the shadows?

I believe that is done via the City menu. I don't have it in front of me to check though.

-Can i export the roofs+shadows in a transparent png?

Turn off all other layers, save as PNG.

-Can i export just one sheat by just hiding the rest?

You can save any view of the map, but individual sheets would probably have to be saved as a file.

Gamerprinter
01-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Hoel,

You ought to join the Profantasy boards and post both your solutions and questions to the people there. Ralf, my contact at Profantasy, visits and comments the boards regularly. If anyone can give you a scripting solution, its someone on those boards.

I'm sure they'd be interested in your shadow overlap fix!

GP

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Looking good!

Hoel
01-28-2009, 07:11 AM
RPmiller: Thanks for clearing it up. Now i know it's possible, I should be able to figure out how to do it.

GP: I'll join over at profantasy... I realized that myself when i was trying to sleep last night. They must have some script-mozarts over there.

Clercon
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
It more and more looks like CD3 is a killer app. I really have to order it I think. Just need to finish a small project regarding my Etrakien map first though, before I have the time to look in to CD3.

RPMiller
01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
RPmiller: Thanks for clearing it up. Now i know it's possible, I should be able to figure out how to do it.

GP: I'll join over at profantasy... I realized that myself when i was trying to sleep last night. They must have some script-mozarts over there.
Indeed they do. Ralf is actually a member here as is Simon, the owner, but for obvious reasons they spend their time over there. I've made a couple posts there and always got immediate and solid answers right away so joining up over there is a very good idea.

languard
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
*raises hand* I working on learning CC3 scripting, and I'm a programmer by trade, so creating a script to export all layers to png sounds like a good learning project.

Hoel
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Ianguard: Sounds great! Can you do it so I can select the layers I want to export by checkboxes? That would be best.

What am I doing wrong now? I'm making a part of the capital of Moenia (the whole city will be a later project) as a hybird.
I created the terrain in photoshop and imported it to the common sheat in CD. First time I used very big piece of the map and i realized it's to small scale, so I tried to redo it. I made a small cut out in PS and tried to import as before (Draw->Insert file). It showed the file but as soon as it redrew the map (zooming in) it was gone.

And I still haven't found how to change the direction of the sun.. There's nothing in the help file and I've searched the profantasy forum.

languard
01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
And I still haven't found how to change the direction of the sun.. There's nothing in the help file and I've searched the profantasy forum.

Right-clicking on the effects button and selecting 'Global Sun' isn't what you need? I'm not aware of any other sun setting.

Hoel
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
That easy huh.
Hadn't noticed it there. Thanks alot!
Now I just have to find out what I'm doing wrong with the bitmap import.

RPMiller
01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
By design you can't see the bitmap if you zoom in too far. The problem is that the pixels become so big that they are basically useless and get in the way. You'll have to draw at a smaller zoom unfortunately.

jfrazierjr
01-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Or maybe exporting one unshadowed render and another with just the sheats that have shadows and using 100% opacity shadows and then using that layer as an semi transparent overlay in photoshop.
Exporting sheat by sheat and combining in photoshop seems like a better and better prospect.
Is there anyway to automate that? some script or something?

That is so weird! I had not kept up with this thread and am not a CC user, but was thinking that dumping a bunch of layers from CC to seperate files and then turning them into PS/GIMP layers to apply nice effects to would be a really cool way to get around some of the things CC can't do. Then I get down to this post and see you already thinking along those lines....

Gandwarf
01-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Anyway Hoel, I was expecting half a dozen or so city maps about now... this is rather dissapointing :D

Hoel
01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
I've been busy with other life stuff this week, sorry.
I've been struggling with finding the limits on CD3 with the bitmap import, building scales and so on. I'll get on with mapping tomorrow. Today I'm going to my brother for some BBQ in the snow.

Gandwarf
01-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I have been messing with CC3 a bit (yep, trying some overland maps again) and I have a question. Didn't want to start another topic, so this is a threadjack Hoel :)

While creating an overland map I want to get access to the CD3 fill styles. Unfortunately I am stuck with just the CC3 fill styles, as you can see in the screenshot, when creating a new drawing tool. How do I access the CD3 fill styles while creating an overland map? I want to use some of the grass textures for example.

I feel a bit stupid for asking this question, but I certainly haven't mastered CC3! One of the reasons why it took so long for me to create any tutorials for CD3... I still feel lost a lot of the time :)

(Update: second picture is the map I am messing around with. I want to use some of the CD3 fill styles so I can try and recreate the fields I use in a lot of my cities. This is not a serious map).

languard
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
About another day and I'll have a macro that will mostly do the layer exporting. Getting the info for programming a dll add-on is...painful. That version will take a while.

Hoel
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Gandwarf: Have you looked to see if it can have something to do with file placement? Different folders for CD and CC?

Ianguard: That's great! I don't know what a dll-addon does that a macro won't but I'm sure that will become apparent when I try it out.

Vandy
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
< snip! > (This is not a serious map).

Well, for not being a serious map, I think it looks pretty good.

Regards,

Gary

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Gandwarf: Have you looked to see if it can have something to do with file placement? Different folders for CD and CC?

This is correct. You'll need to make sure the fills are in the correct folder. The reason that they probably aren't is due to the scale. That's my guess anyway.

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I also posted my question on the Profantasy forum and I think I can now change the fill styles. Need to try it out though.

Well, for not being a serious map, I think it looks pretty good.

Regards,

Gary

You really think so? I am still a bit insecure regarding my overland maps. Need to find a good style. The problem is I don't really need any overland maps for the world I am creating right now, so there's no real drive for me to experiment.

Korash
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I did it Ascension! Overlapping shadows solved with photoshop.
I just made one render with 100% opacity shadows and one without shadows. Put one over the other and adjust transparency. Bingo!
Next challenge?

'cause shadows are my fetish/pet peeve...

[beginrant]

I am not too sure about how this would be done ('cause I have yet to reach the point of knowing how to drop shadows on the comp), but the tower shadows on the curtain wall should be shorter than the shadows on the grass. Shadows are longer the greater the relative height difference is between the surface and the object casting it.

[endrant]

I have been looking at some maps and been trying to figure if the drop shadow function takes things like this into account. I think that it would require some sort of 3D model in order to do this, but was wondering if there are other ways. Two or more shadow layers?

Ascension
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Is it possible in CC3 to have an invisible object cast a shadow? Or maybe a mask that hides the object? Say you have a round tower and the program makes all shadows the same length...if you can have an invisible object then just use another tower offset. Just an inquiry/thought.

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, you would need two layers for the shadows unless you wanted to paint them in. At least then you can use the angle setting of the shadow to approximate the proper shadow length.

RPMiller
02-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Is it possible in CC3 to have an invisible object cast a shadow? Or maybe a mask that hides the object? Say you have a round tower and the program makes all shadows the same length...if you can have an invisible object then just use another tower offset. Just an inquiry/thought.
I'm pretty sure you can make an "invisible" symbol by creating a PNG with just an alpha channel, but I don't think this can cast a shadow. However, I haven't ever tried that.

Hoel
02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I think that has to be done in 3d...