PDA

View Full Version : [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Pages : [1] 2

Ascension
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I might be giving away the farm on this one, since I consider this to be my best style, but since I like to teach and make a tut for just about everything -- I present to you my atlas style. It's not meant to be the end-all be-all but rather an introductory course...where you can take it and adapt and change things as you see fit. I know my tuts tend to be lengthy and sometimes difficult so I'll do my best to help you out with any questions/problems you might have.

Gandwarf
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
The tutorial looks like it took a lot of work and I certainly love this style. A lot. I love the bright color, the sea and the ice to the north. And the golden font... darn, so much to learn :)

Repped...

Nialas
01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I may be snowed or iced in tomorrow. If so, I know what I'll be doing :D. Thanks.

Steel General
01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll give this a whirl sometime soon - I'm sure its up to your usual quality. :)

Hoel
01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I looked it through and I am impressed. It looks really easy... How long have you spent perfecting your style?

Ascension
01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
About 2 weeks shy of 2 years. I've got some of my first psd files still on the hard drive somewhere and I've been thinking of converting them to jpg and posting them up so that everyone can snicker at my river violations :)

Hoel
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
That would be fun!

Nomadic
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Very interesting tutorial. I can't seem to get it to work but that's because there are several areas I am confused on. Regardless though it has given me some neat ideas on how I can make my maps better.

hunab.cu
01-28-2009, 04:41 AM
A really great tutorial!
You popped up with it right after I thought "It would be nice to get a good atlas tutorial"... :) I'm gonna spend a lot of time to learn it and adapt to my techniques.
Thank you very much for this one!

NeonKnight
01-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Looks good!

Vandy
01-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Hello, Ascension.

I have one main comment for you concerning your new tutorial -- THANKS A LOT!! As If I don't have enough tutorials I wish to do, you go and post another one that I just MUST DO!!

;)

Serioulsy, thought, thank you so very much for taking the time to write and post this excellent tutorial. I most certainly will be using it to create Atlas style maps.

Great work!

* BOINK *

Regards,

Gary

woekan
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Awesome tutorial. I learned alot from this.

Here is my attempt.

Ascension
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Spot on...see how easy it is to be a mediocre mapper :)

Vandy
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, Ascension.

I'm working through your tutorial (actually just got started) and I have a question already. I'm currently using PhotoShop Elements. In Step 4, I don't have an option for Hard Mix. Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
01-28-2009, 04:44 PM
@Vandy - You may try something with 'Threshold' (if you have it), not sure if that will give you the same effect or not.

Nomadic
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
@Vandy - You may try something with 'Threshold' (if you have it), not sure if that will give you the same effect or not.

It should, threshold is actually how I do my coastlines. Just fill with black then do clouds > difference clouds >threshold. Then tweak threshold to get the shapes you like and piece them together like a puzzle (it helps to select the color you aren't using and delete it).

ravells
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Fantastic, Ascension! Thanks for sharing the family jewels! 5 stars and repped!

Ascension
01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
My pleasure Ravs, just hoping to help.

Ascension
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Is anyone having a problem viewing the pics in the doc file in Open Office? Sigurd tells me that the JPGs are OLEs...whatever those are :)

rkmase
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Awesome tutorial - thanks for the detailed instructions. This will definitely be used.

indio
03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
First post. w00t!!

This community looks great, and Ascension's tutorials are clearly a huge part of the reason why. So much generosity is both humbling and inspiring.

This atlas tutorial in particular is a wealth of excellent information, and just to my taste. I'm going to work my way through it this weekend and, if it succeeds, will post the results. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

Steel General
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
First post. w00t!!

This community looks great, and Ascension's tutorials are clearly a huge part of the reason why. So much generosity is both humbling and inspiring.

This atlas tutorial in particular is a wealth of excellent information, and just to my taste. I'm going to work my way through it this weekend and, if it succeeds, will post the results. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

Welcome Aboard Indio!

Ascension
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
My pleasure, mate. Welcome aboard.

dolenore
03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?

Not sure if this will produce the exact same results, but if memory serves me you could:

copy the layer again
Image > Adjustments > Posterize (levels: 2)

StillCypher
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I've just glanced over this tutorial, and I can tell it's one I'm going to *have* to try out! This style of yours really appeals to me. Wonderful work!

Ascension
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Lemme know if you have any problems :)

Egfy
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm working through your tutorial (actually just got started) and I have a question already. I'm currently using PhotoShop Elements. In Step 4, I don't have an option for Hard Mix. Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?

You need to use two layers instead of the Hard Mix, one 50% grey and set to Dodge and the other should be black and set to Burn.

Chadwick
03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Just joined up and saw this tutorial and your result looked amazing so I figured I'd give it a go as my first map ^^. The tutorial was extremely easy to follow however I had a bit of a problem that I can't figure out. My brush seems to have left quite a few marks throughout the map and I was wondering if you knew how to avoid this problem.

Ascension
03-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Looks great!...other than those strokes :) It looks like you have the brush properties set to something other than normal. First click on the brush tool, then at the top you will see the word "Mode" in the box next to that, make sure it says Normal and not something like multiply or difference. It could be that you did the airbrushing on it's own layer and never merged it down onto the clouds layer, thus you're getting some artifacts from that. If that's not it lemme know and I'll see if I can replicate this effect (might take me a while since I'll be experimenting a lot to find the needle in the haystack).

Chadwick
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
It looks like that fixed it, I had it set to normal before but I had an airbrush button pressed. I just tried again with the airbrush button not on and it didn't leave the marks as far as I can tell with just doing up to the land step. ^^

Thanks a ton

Ascension
03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
No prob, man. Just here to help :)

Chadwick
03-30-2009, 02:35 AM
I've gone through the tutorial a few more times and the brush strokes still seem to show up. They make their appearance after copying "Ocean" and making "Land". When I apply the lighting affect they become very prominent. I thought it would just be me clicking int he same spot a few times when trying to get my land mass how I want it but it seems even long held down brush strokes create the problem.

Any ideas?

Ascension
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
All right, got it. After much experimenting I finally got it just like what you show. What I did was to take a hard round brush tip, then scale it up to 300...when I then paint it leaves the rings. What you need is the airbrush tip and not a hard round tip set to airbrush in the brush control panel. Use the Airbrush Soft Round 300 tip (or 100 or whatever). Just clicking on the airbrush button in the brush control panel does not give it an airbrush quality.

Chadwick
03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Ah it must have been the hard round that was doing it to me because I tried it with airbrush both on and off. Thanks a ton Ascension ^^ Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

--edit--

That was definitely it ^^ Just went through and did one that's much better I think. I also realized I had the lighting for the hills set up incorrectly and the color is much better this time around.

Ascension
03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Now yer cookin, looks great. Glad I could actually find the problem and fix it and help someone out following my lead...I'd hate to lead someone down the wrong path. Good luck, mate, and keep up the nice work.

Vandy
04-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello, All.

Here is Ascension's wonderful tutorial repackaged as a PDF document.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Ascension
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks, V. Glad you're doing this, it's very helpful.

Sirith
04-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Hmm, I have a very hard time following the tutorial. I seem to be doing fine, but when I get to the picture at step 22, it looks absolutely nothing like what Ascensions tutorial shows (see attachment). I figure it might already be going wrong at step 11, but I'm not sure. I like the tutorial, I just can't seem to get it right :/
Is there a crucial step or detail I might be missing?

(Also, ignore the weird island-shape, I'm just trying to figure out how it works ;))

EDIT: Alright I seem to have found my problem. When you start to add colour, I first selected the base layer, so all further layer styles were applied to that layer, instead of to the land layer.

EDIT 2: Another try. I'm not very fond of the outcome, there are some areas definitely needing improvement. However, I can see myself using some of these techniques on future maps, especially to throw in some texturing on my (normally) handdrawn and -painted maps.
Thank you for the tutorial, Ascension :)

Ascension
04-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry I couldn't get back to ya sooner there Sirith, I work at my biz every day, half days on weekends, so I am usually indisposed until the afternoons/evenings. I'm glad you were able to mend it and if you have any further questions just ask :)

Kasonic
04-14-2009, 04:45 AM
Hate to dig this up and bother you, but I'm screwing up somewhere around step 19 in your tutorial.

(First time poster, total PS newbie, I found this thread through another site; great tutorial and method!)

It says to apply the same lighting effects to the hill and land layer...well, when I do this, I get an image that's WAY darker than your example, or anyone else's. The color is correct without the lighting render, but then the texture obviously wrong.

What's the newbie doing wrong?

Ascension
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
So far I don't see anything off except that red dot in the south ocean. I'll have to double check my color hex codes to see if I messed that up (will do that when I get home tonight) but you can always just change them to suit ya cuz we all have different monitor settings. So far so good really.

Kasonic
04-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah I didn't bother fixing the dot from a misclick, won't hurt in the end. Thanks; looks like a simple Soft Light filter gets things more in line with what I'm seeing anyway.

tmvanatta
05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
In following along in your tutorial, I'm stuck at step 8. You mention to copy this layer but do you mean to duplicate it and name it base? Then in step 9 are you supposed to apply the fill to the base layer and when you do, do you set the fill opacity to 100% and do you preserve transparency? I also need clarification on step 10. I select my brush and put it at 10% transparency. But when I click on the ocean layer to edit it I can only see my strokes in the thumbnails on the layers panel. This is because The solid black and white base layer is blocking everything out.

So what I have been doing is to set the base layer to an opacity level to where I can see what I am doing on the ocean layer. I use the 10% opacity brush on the ocean layer but how do you keep the brush marks from over lapping and building up their opacity?

Then I link the Base and Ocean layer then merge down the base layer. But then the base layer is gone and I'm left with and ocean layer that has all these see thru brush marks on them. Please help. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I've attached a screen shot of what I'm left with after the merge down.

Also I have been using your file labeled Tutorial6 with Pics.doc

http://khazaddum.net/mapstuff/helpme.jpg

V/r

Eric

Ascension
05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
You start with one layer called "background" and then render some clouds on it. Duplicate this layer. This will then be called "background copy". Create a new layer, then hit the Edit button at the top of the screen. A menu will pop up so scroll down to where it says "fill". A window pops up and where it says "foreground color" change that to "50% gray". Change the blend mode of this layer to "hard mix" and then rename it to "base". Click back on the "background copy" layer and start painting with the brush. Our low opacity painting will show as black and white changes on the "base" layer. We then copy the "background copy" layer (called background copy 2) and merge the base layer to it.

It looks like you just forgot the 50% gray layer (with a hard mix blend mode) and that's messing things up for you. Hopefully, we've got it straightened out now.

tmvanatta
05-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I thought you meant the Hard mix mode in the pop-up for the fill. I didn't know you still had to change the drop menu that is listed on the Layers menu as well.

Eric

pickaboo
05-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello, All.

Here is Ascension's wonderful tutorial repackaged as a PDF document.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

I'm sorry but I think you have forgotten to include the phase where we're supposed to do the overlay for mountains from your pdf. I'll attach a pdf-print of the doc so you can see the difference. :)

Meloncat
06-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Ascension, I wanted to give thanks for your amazing tutorial. It seems almost criminal to let even the layman like myself be capable of producing a map of this caliber. I can finally get started on my fiction, so I owe you immense thanks!

About the only problem I came into was with the whole erasing mountains part. I had it as specified (20% flow, 300 px brush), and when I tried to erase the mountains I ended up with rather obvious eraser circles. I think it's merely my own noviceness with Photoshop though, playing with the flow down to 10% and adjusting the opacity gave me what I feel like are better results. Do you know if there's any way we can better direct the 'spawning' of mountains in the preliminary stages, rather than rely on their random emergence? Might be more authentic to geographics that mountains go where they please, but I need to establish some mountain chains in my map, and I'm not sure that randomization will suffice. A more specific question is: At what stage could I begin to tweak how Mountains emerge, and what would I do to tweak them to be more/less plentiful, more in one area than another, ect.

I can clearly see why you won the award, and hope you're given all the more for your great efforts!

Ascension
06-04-2009, 08:42 AM
The problem with your erasing is that you are using a hard round brush tip instead of the airbrush tip. I haven't yet begun to start the process of planning where the mtns will end up, so that's why I suggest you use the freeform lasso tool (at the top of the screen set the feather to around 50 px), lasso a nice looking chunk and drag it into a chain somewhere or fill a hole. Oh, and thanks :)

EnigmaParadox
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I just wanted to thank you for this brilliant tutorial, Ascension.
Makes mapping for my campaigns a whole lot easier, not to mention that it taught me a couple things about photoshop that I won't very soon forget.

(Edit)
Sorry to bother you, but is there tool to locate a specific spot on the canvas? I'm on step 51, and very much being the photoshop novice, I can't seem to find a way to locate the magic "every 200px" spot short of counting them.

Ascension
06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad I could help :)

saundersc01
06-18-2009, 01:57 AM
First time here and glad I stumbled upon this site and your tutorial...i had made a map before coming here here and it looked like my 7 year old did it...so thanks for that.

Only thing is though that when I do the border portion of the map and I try to select one country, it selects the whole landmass borders and all. I went back and redid the borders layer thinking that might be it, but it still does the same thing...any ideas?

Steel General
06-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Are you using the 'magic wand' to do the selection?

saundersc01
06-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you using the 'magic wand' to do the selection?

I am indeed using the magic wand...I just don't understand what the deal is

Steel General
06-18-2009, 01:33 PM
hmmm... not sure, you could try using one of the other selection tools instead and see if that works. I'm sure Ascension will drop a post in here before to long, he's really good about responding to questions regarding his tutorials.

Ascension
06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty much indisposed tonight...watching my nieces, so I might not get into this until tomorrow. I need to try to replicate the problem first then see what changes I made that made the problem and then tell ya what not to do.

First, I need a screen shot of the whole screen so that I can see the layer setup as well as the map. Second, my suspicions are that something is either wrong with the layer or the settings on the tool are different (ie: something like "contiguous" is checked). I'll look into this sometime tonight after my nieces have gone home and will try to have an answer for ya before midnight (cst) but if I don't then I will have one for ya sometime tomorrow before dinner.

saundersc01
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
here it is...you didn't say to put everything in folders, but i assure you that they are still in the correct order. and thanks to all who have responded! also, i have included the version without the 'country' layers shown and i must say i happy with my first real attempt at a map. oh and i tried it with contiguous on and off...same effect. also it shows that the border layers have a blend option on them...they don't...it just says that because near the beginning, i applied an effect to the 'base' layer and then removed it...don't know how to make it not show the fx icon when there are no effects selected.

Ascension
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
OK from what I can tell your borders layer looks right...it should just be a single line to make a border. First delete all of your country layers except for one. Ctrl-click on the border layer (to load it as a selection) then click on your country layer and hit the delete key (to erase the border line) then deselect. Your countries should now all be split up. You can now use the magic wand tool to select a country, create a new layer, fill it with whatever color that you want, then deselect. Then repeat the magic wand/create new layer/fill with color/deselect process for each country. Hope this helps. One thing to note is that the one country is still connected to the polar ice cap so you might want to put a border across the isthmus there.

saundersc01
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
hmm that still didn't work...now when you say borders should be one line, does that mean i should be bringing them around lakes and such instead of making them end once they hit a lake?

saundersc01
06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
nevermind...i got it working...i just used a pencil to draw the border lines rather than a brush...cool stuff

barcaii
07-06-2009, 05:58 AM
First time poster here. I have tried this tutorial few times now, and I really like it. I wonder if you have come up with any ways to do volcanoes and forests of different kinds?

Ascension
07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
At this scale forests are just dark green but I have a tut on volcanoes in the tutorials section. Pasis' tut on them is also pretty good.

barcaii
07-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks, I must have missed it. then I found the search function. Life is easy with a search function. Wish me luck.

Ascension
07-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Any ole shape will do the trick really. Grab a pencil, draw a shape around your landmass, fill it with the same color, then apply the bevel. I use the cloud layer to keep things random and not so hand-drawn and straight. You could also do a new cloud layer and modify it with a very low opacity airbrush (10%) using white for the high spots and black for the low spots.

sarandosil
07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Oops you replied while I was reformulating the post, oh well. I've tried rendering a new cloud layer without much success; probably just bad handpainting on my end. My problem is that it just looks too smooth with a solid color layer, like so. I'm not totally sure if I have something wrong in the settings or if's a problem with the blending due to the lack of a cloud layer now that I think about it.

Ascension
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Ok, so you want to break up that edge that looks too much like the coast and give it some randomness...right? There are three ways to go about this that are very easy:
1. Use a pencil with a scattered brush tip and paint in some randomness in certain places. The scattered brush tip will give you lots of lil bumps along the edge but keep going over that same area and the blank spaces will fill in.
2. Put your shelf layer (solid white) on top of a black layer, merge them, hit it with a spatter filter (under brush strokes), select-color range = blacks, hit delete then deselect, apply layer styles.
3. Use the eraser (in pencil mode, not brush) and select a scattered brush tip and erase parts out to make it more random.

mean_dm
07-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Hey, wanna say I was looking for a way to create maps and was getting frustrated until I found your tutorial, so thanks a ton.

I am having a bit of a problem though, I'm pretty new to Photoshop CS3, and I am stuck at step 29, I am having difficulty believing I am on the right track, so I decided to stop before I messed up beyond saving. My map so far =( (http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/Mean_dm/Arghcopy.jpg)

Ascension
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
What I can see is that you have a black layer covering up your grayscale clouds so just hide the black layer or delete it. Seems fine otherwise.

sarandosil
07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I think it's funny that you named the file Argh, because I know I have several maps with some variation on that name.

mean_dm
07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Haha, well, the tut is fantastic, but photoshop can take some getting used to, but I've got the hang of it now. I kind of feel a tad bit dumb for running into some of the problems I ran into lol.

Thanks for the help Ascension, everything is looking A-ok now.

Ascension
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
No problem man, I've much tougher problems to solve. Good luck and make sure that you give us a look at it when yer done.

EDIT: due to my lack of proper terminology I have edited and re-uploaded the doc file in the first post. Open Office has bugged some of my other things so if you download this and it doesn't open properly then let me know.

Vascant
07-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Open Office has bugged some of my other things so if you download this and it doesn't open properly then let me know.

Word 2007 cannot read this, claims a problem with the XML and content

Edit: I can read the the first one downloaded a month ago though, just not this update

Ascension
07-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm really beginning to hate Open Office. Now my file is corrupted beyond my patience to repair. Anyone with an old copy care to upload it here so that I can use that and then re-edit it?

Horzamonk
07-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Here you go. Thanks again for this great tut.

Dalakmar
07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to follow this excellent tutorial using Photoshop 7 and am becoming very frustrated - mostly with my lack of knowledge of Photoshop. So I was wondering, has anyone else out there with Photoshop 7, who knows what they are doing, followed this tutorial? Fancy giving an old geezer a hand by telling him the equivalent steps in Photoshop 7?

I shall struggle on for now because the maps look so good I just have to make one or two or . . .

Dal.

Ascension
07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
The main thing that 7 does not have is the hard mix layer blending mode. You'll have to do Image-adjustments-threshhold or Image-adjustments-brightness/contrast for the "base" layer at the beginning.

Dalakmar
07-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Ascension,

Thank-you for the taking the time to reply. As I said in my earlier post I'm not that HOT on photoshop, but your post has nudged me in the right direction. However, (you knew there was an however coming didn't you) I'm now stuck on this part:

Click back on the “Ocean” layer (on the layers palette). Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the 300-pixel airbrush and work my way down as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land.

How can I do this. I'm on the Ocean's layer - which is beneath the Base layer, right? Either I'm missing something or I'm really stupid. I'd probably have to go with the second option - can you offer any advice.

Dal.

Ascension
07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
The process will be a lil longer for you but here's what you need to do:
1. Filter-render-clouds to start with.
2. Duplicate this layer (will be named background copy).
3. Create a new layer.
4. Use the 300 soft round airbrush with 10% flow, use black and white, paint black to fill in some ocean and white to fill in some land. You don't need a whole lot, just go over these places once or twice.
5. When you have something that you like, hit ctrl+shift+E (this merges all visible layers and puts the final output on it's own layer while leaving the rest of the layers below intact).
6. Image-adjustments-brightness/contrast=set the contrast up to 100.
7. If you see places where you want to make some further adjustments, then delete the top layer and go back to the painting layer. When happy repeat steps 5 and 6.
8. When you finally get to something that you can live with, rename the contrast adjusted layer to "base" and rename the "background copy" layer to "ocean".
9. Proceed with the rest of the tut.

EDIT: I re-attached the re-edited version (in post #1) and I hope this one works.

Dalakmar
07-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks Ascension,

Your'e a STAR! BUT . . . I'm still unable to follow your instructions - my BAD I can assure you. Here is what I've done so far and where I'm getting stuck. If you feel like helping me again it would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I might even name a continent after you!

1. I set up the document – 2000 x 2000 pixels at 300 PPI, RGB mode, 8bit. I make sure the colors are black and white then select Filter > Render > Clouds. Fine.

2. Copy this layer and rename it “Ocean”. Again, fine.

3.Rather than create a new layer then Edit > Fill = 50% gray and set the layer’s mode to hard mix and renaming this layer “Base” - which I cannot do in Photoshop 7 - I copy the layer again and go to Image > Adjustments > Posterize (levels: 2). When I have done this I end up with an image that looks like your Base Layer. I now have 3 layers: Background, Ocean and Base.

4. I now try to follow your next instruction: Click back on the “Ocean” layer (on the layers palette). Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the 300-pixel airbrush and work my way down as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land. However, this has no effect on the actual apperance of the map. The only way I can do that is to use a normal brush on the Base layer. If I do make the changes on the Base layer then I end up with something resembling a continent as shown in your tutorial.

5. I can then follow your instructions all the way to: Adding Colour to the Land. Photoshop 7 doesn't have anything like your describing. Is there a work around for this that you know of?

6. Hmm. Me thinks it might be easier to purchase a copy a newer version of Photoshop.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dal.

Ascension
07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
You're using the wrong brush tip...I had someone else recently with this problem and it took us us hours to figure out the problem on AIM. What he was doing was using the 1-pixel brush tip, then setting the size at 300, and hitting the airbrush icon. This does not work so make sure that you are using the Airbrush soft round 300. It is a default brush tip, so scroll down the list.

As far as adding color to the land, it is a layer style of Gradient overlay...it's there, just click that lil funky cursive F at the bottom of the layer stack. The gradient is not a default so you have to make it by hand, that's why I put the color values in the tut. If gradient ends up too dark for you then add in a layer style of Color overlay of white and set it's blend mode to soft light or overlay.

Tyr
07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Step 21 is where I seem to get really lost. No colours add at all. How do you even get into selecting colours with hex codes? I just have to use the standard sliders all the time.
Think I should try and figure out less complex photoshop stuff before this.

Ascension
07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, this is pretty easy but if you've very little experience with Photoshop then I'll go through the Color Picker. The pic shows the screen and I'll go through what the various letters mean.

HSB stands for Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. This is one way to pick a color.

RGB stands for Red, Green, and Blue. This is another way to pick colors and is the one I use.

Lab stands for Lightness, color a, and color b. This one is difficult for me to work with so I never use it. It's supposed to mimic human vision by mixing two colors and then adjusting the lightness of the mix.

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK. This is another way to pick colors, mostly use in print media.

#000000 stands for the hex code value...a number that has been assigned to the various billions of colors...00000 being black, FFFFFF is white, FF0000 is red, etc etc.

In my tuts I give you the RGB numbers, so just type those in next to the respective letter. I also give the hex code and you can just copy/paste that in.

If you cannot add any color whatsoever then you might be in grayscale mode so at the top of the screen click on Image-Mode and make sure that you are in RGB mode.

Dalakmar
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Ascension,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your support. I'll have to wait until the weekend again before I can give it another stab though.

Again . . . many thanks.

Dal.

Mror
07-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone! Congratulations for the guide its helping me a lot but im having some troubles. I dont know nothing about PS and i cant speak english very good, so im going to write what i`ve made step by step... sorry about this.

1. I create the document with your specifications.
2. I aply the clouds. (Background)
3. I duplicate that layer. (Ocean)
4. I create a new layer and fill 50% gray. The layer turns to gray, aply Hard Mix (the cow effect) and i rename it Base.
5. In the ocean layer, with the apropiate brush i draw the land.
6. Copy the ocean layer. (Ocean copy). I link the ocean copy and the base layers and i combine them.
7. I go to color range, set fuzziness to 200 (ive ticked the selection circle). I delete it, deselect and hide the base.
8. I copy the ocean layer (Rename Hills). In hills i put render, difference clouds. i hit CTRL+ F. Copy this and rename it mountains.
9. Hide mountains, add noise to hills. Aply the lighting effects both hill and mountains layers.
10. Hide hills, i copy the ocean layer (Land). I hit ctrl+f to repeat the efects.
11. I have the six layers in order, but its still plane! I add the colours just like in the tutorial, but its plane. no elevations.

Its like the seven step pic, but with colour. Its suposed to add colour after you get the elevations right?

Later im going to update an image, it doesent load right now.
Thanks a lot for your time!

Ascension
07-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see a screenshot. On the keyboard press and hold the Shift key and also press the Print Screen key. This will copy everything on your monitor into temporary memory. In Photoshop, hit File-New and then hit the Okay button...don't make any changes. Hit Edit-Paste and voila, there's your monitor image. Lastly, hit ctrl+e to merge down and then save as a jpg file and upload it here. There are some file size restrictions here (under 4.7 megabytes and roughly 5000 x 5000 pixels). Since this is a screenshot you should be just fine.

My first thought is maybe you're in grayscale mode and my other thought is that you didn't use the red channel while doing the lighting effects.

Mror
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Here is the image:

Here is what i ask you about the 50% gray:
I know there are mistakes in this one, its just to show you the settings.

Mmm, im pretty sure that ive used the Red scale... but im goin to repeat all the process again and check out any mistake with your help.

Thanks again

Edit:

Layers:

Montañas- Mountains
Colinas- Hills
Tierra- Land
Oceano- Ocean
Fondo- Background

Just in case.

Ascension
07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok, this is an easy fix...well, easy for me since I don't have to redo the work :) The problem here is that your ocean layer is solid black and white. It should look like the background layer (grayscale clouds) with some light airbrush painting of black in the oceans and white in the land. I have attached a screenshot showing my layer stack so that you can see the difference between mine and yours. Your gray layer looks fine.

Mror
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
GREAT! it works jaja... thanks a lot.

Err, how i move the layer the 200 pixels for the longitud lines?
Im searching in the layer menu, but i cant figure it out.

Ascension
07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
There are two ways, one is easy but time-consuming and the other is faster but more technical.
1. Click on the Move tool (looks like a pointer). Then on the keyboard, hit the -> key (right arrow) 200 times.
2. Click on the Zoom tool (magnifying glass), zoom in all the way to 1600%, click on the Move tool, in your image, click, hold and drag it over 200 pixels (you will need to have the ruler visible...View > Units & Rulers, set it to pixels).

DethinBlack
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Alright, So. I just went through your tutorial. It was a little difficult to understand, but I think that was due to my own Nitwittery. The problem I had was layers. I lost which layers were which, but no biggy really, I mainly figured it out. I do seem to be having a horrible time with the mountains. Everything else looks really good, but I have HUGE snow caps at the top of each of my mountain. Any Idea why?

Steel General
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I haven't used Ascensions tutorials in quite awhile, but it may have something to do with the Lighting Effects Filter settings you used.

Ascension can give you a better answer next time he logs on.

RobA
07-23-2009, 04:08 PM
1. Click on the Move tool (looks like a pointer). Then on the keyboard, hit the -> key (right arrow) 200 times.

Not that I pretend to know anything about photoshop, but doesn't shift-cursor keys move 10 pixels? That would only be 20 times then ;)

-Rob A>

Ascension
07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Rob - I did not know that, cool :) There ya go, learn something new everyday.
DB - SG is probably right about it being lighting effects. I'd have to see a screenshot of the settings that you used for the lighting effects filter. I can't be sure but I also detect something wrong with the blend mode of the color overlay and the layer itself. The blend mode of the color overlay should be soft light and the blend mode of the layer itself should be hard light. If that isn't the problem then it probably is lighting effects.

DethinBlack
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I posted that, and started another one, and found what it was that I was screwing up on. Misunderstood some of the layers... Meh, The mountains look correct now. I will see about posting attempt two when I get done.

One thing I should mention I guess, Is that I usually go through the tutorial a few times, to gain the skill of it. The last one didn't have a very realistic mountain structure, and the next one probably wont either. After I feel comfortable with the techniques, I work on something... Usable? I think that's the right word.

I dont know how everyone else does it, but that is my way of doing things :D

Ascension
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
That's what I tell everyone as well...do it a few times and get the hang of it. When you get to where you have things memorized halfway you can then start changing and experimenting. Be sure to post up the "final" version that you're doing :)

DethinBlack
07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, I definitely will. I figure that you would like to see the results of those that have learned from your tutorial. Plus, I like praise, It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :D

Oh, And, Your tutorial is awesome!

DethinBlack
07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, Its not completely finished, and I don't have the time to work on it more right now. Just got finished with the second adjust layer... which I might adjust more but hey... It actually took me much less time to do it this time, but I didn't save, and the friggen thing crashed... and Ive been in and out. Gots to remember the saving!

anyway, Ive made much more sense of it now, and I am about to move to the big hills, and the crunchy layers. when I get the time ill come back, but work! gots to go to bed :( Anyway, tell me what you think :)

Also, Again. Awesome Tut. I love it, and some of the techniques will be going into a design I have in mind. :D

Ascension
07-23-2009, 09:22 PM
That's a great layout...island and continents are fairly close together, lots of possibilities in the mountains...good stuff good stuff. I could see myself having fun naming stuff there.

Coyotemax
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
When I was working on my latest map, I wanted to get more mountains a lot smaller and more detailed than the standard cloud rendering size. What i ended up doing was creating a second file at 8000x8000, rendered the clouds on that, and shrunk to 2000x2000. Then after removing the black, I tossed solid colour layer below that so I make out the clouds easier. After that I just used the lasso tool to nab clouds out of this file to paste into the main one on the mountains layer. I also used this image to generate the hills layer.

maybe that'll give out some more ideas :)

Mror
07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Great tut!

Here is the final result of this atempt:

Now im goin to try your other tutorial, the antique map... both looks good.

Ascension
07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Aside from the river violations (going over mountains, splitting as they go downstream instead of join, connecting two oceans, lakes having multiple outflows) it looks perfect.

Rythal
07-26-2009, 11:33 AM
damn nice tut... makes me wish I had PS

Say, I wonder if I could do something similar in corel... worth a try.:idea:

Gandwarf
07-26-2009, 11:39 AM
If you can make something similar, be sure to post a tutorial :)

Steel General
07-27-2009, 06:41 AM
I posted a .PDF version of the latest .doc file in the very first post.

Vascant
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Lost a bit on Step 21 as well. Here is a screen shot. I am fairly sure I deleted something when not understanding the instructtions

Tyr: Double click on the gradient bar and it will bring up the editor and allow you to do the instructions in the step

http://www.rpgattitude.com/maps/atlas_step_21.jpg

Ascension
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Those layer styles go on the Land layer. First off, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load the selection. Right click on the Base layer, on the layer stack, and choose "clear layer style". Poke out the eye on the Base layer to hide it. Click on the Land layer. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key and then deselect. Then apply the layer styles to the Land layer.

Vascant
08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Those layer styles go on the Land layer. First off, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load the selection. Right click on the Base layer, on the layer stack, and choose "clear layer style". Poke out the eye on the Base layer to hide it. Click on the Land layer. Select - Inverse. Hit the delete key and then deselect. Then apply the layer styles to the Land layer.

I had a feeling that was the answer but given I am not an expert with PS by any means I have tried to follow the instructions as written the first time around, making notes as I go for things to improve upon the next run.

Thanks for the reply (off to step 21 again)

Vascant
08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Okay, time to find out if I screwed up even before this point.

The "Base" Layer, should this be just a sheet of white which covers the land mass areas?

I ask this because of Step 23
As I read it, it seems the idea is to effect only the ocean areas of the mountain layer, correct? Or the entire layer?

Then it switches the base layer and that is when I got lost and wondered if my base layer is incorrect.

Side note: When doing these tutorials perhaps showing the entire photoshop screen shot and not just the image would be very helpful perhaps. Just a suggestion. Seeing the layer pal might answer a few questions and such. However as long as you are willing to answer questions I am not giving up :)

Ascension
08-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Step 23 has two parts; delete the blacks and dark grays, then delete the rest of the layer that is floating over the ocean. This leaves the lighter grays that are on top of the land.

You're omitting something while reading so I'll recap it for you and be as descriptive as possible.

1. You're on the Mountains layer. Foreground color is black and background color is white.
2. At the top of the screen click on the word "Select" then, in the scroll down menu, choose Color Range. This will bring up a pop up window with the foreground color selected as default. Set the Fuzziness slider at maximum, 200. This selects the blacks and dark grays.
3. On the keyboard hit the Delete key.
4. On the keyboard hit Ctrl+D to deselect.
5. This cuts the dark grays and blacks out of the whole layer, leaving the lighter colors. Now we have to get rid of those lighter colors that are floating over the ocean.
6. On the layer stack, ctrl+click on the Base layer to load it as a selection.
7. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Modify then choose Contract then set the number at 20. This reduces the selection shape and brings it inside of the land outline.
8. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Feather then set the number at 20. This "blurs" the selection edge 20 pixels.
9. At the top of the screen click on Select then choose Inverse. This selects the "ocean" area and not the "land" area but because we feathered the selection it will include some of the mountains on the "land" area. We want this to erase mountains that run right up to the beach.
10. On the keyboard hit the Delete key then hit Ctrl+D to deselect. Now the mountains that were floating over the ocean are gone as well as the ones that go right up to the beach.

Vascant
08-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Now that makes sense, I also see what I was doing wrong and learned something all at the same time. I wonder if that is considered multitasking.

I knew the goal of the step and realized I was not getting there, what I didn't know and learned was how to load a layer as a selection. I am making notes on the PDF version, maybe this will help someone else when done.

Vascant
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Everything working out well but have a question, if you notice how I have some of the mountain peak areas extremely white? Did I do something wrong on one of the steps or am I missing something on how to correct.

I have to say, having a blast doing this and recommend to anyone learning.

Note: Figured out attachments here :)

Ascension
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
It looks to me like the lighting effects settings were bumped up too high on either intensity or ambience thus creating more whiteness. Set the intensity at 25 or lower and the ambience at 10 or lower and give that a try. Or just throw up a screenshot of your lighting effects settings and I'll know exactly what to tweak.

Krases
08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Is this tutorial possible in GIMP 2? I just tried it and I don't think the programs are similar enough.

Oh well. I should buy photoshop anyway.

Notsonoble
08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
It's possible, but rough... I used many pieces from this one and RobA's regional map tutorial to make a world map recently...

I can't promise lots of help, but this isn't the only Ascension tut I've tried to get to work in GIMP... so if you could post some details of your snags... I can try...

Vascant
08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
It looks to me like the lighting effects settings were bumped up too high on either intensity or ambience thus creating more whiteness. Set the intensity at 25 or lower and the ambience at 10 or lower and give that a try. Or just throw up a screenshot of your lighting effects settings and I'll know exactly what to tweak.

I followed the one in the tutorial which is different then the suggested, that was one of those moments when I wondered if perhaps this would be corrected down the line. Now I know... I am going to start over since it won't take much to do a new map with all the notes I have and see if I can't get this right.

Thanks

Ascension
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Krases - as far as I know, the lighting effects filter is the only thing that can't be duplicated in Gimp very well. I use lighting effects for texturing mountains, hills and the land. You could easily use Pasis' tutorial for mountains in that spot and it looks great. You can texture land with a pattern overlay. The point being that the tut is meant as a starting point and then you can jump off wherever you want and start experimenting on your own. I would suggest doing RobA's tutorial first to learn your way around the Gimp techniques first and become familiar with them. Then try mine and see what you think and make changes accordingly.

Notsonoble
08-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Krases - as far as I know, the lighting effects filter is the only thing that can't be duplicated in Gimp very well. I use lighting effects for texturing mountains, hills and the land. You could easily use Pasis' tutorial for mountains in that spot and it looks great. You can texture land with a pattern overlay. The point being that the tut is meant as a starting point and then you can jump off wherever you want and start experimenting on your own. I would suggest doing RobA's tutorial first to learn your way around the Gimp techniques first and become familiar with them. Then try mine and see what you think and make changes accordingly.

Without the layer effects scripts from here: http://registry.gimp.org/node/186 overlays, advanced shadowing and beveling and embossing are not accessible in GIMP, and even with the scripts some things don't behave quite right...

The lighting effects should actually be doable, but translating the settings from PS to GIMP is a bear, and I haven't figured it out yet (but I'm getting there)

But yes, RobA's tutorials would be a good place to start, and with the tuts, some scripts (the above and others many of which are in software discussion's scripting child board) you can still do quite a bit...

None of the things I've learned are really worth tutorials at this point, but I'm sorta getting to a point where I can answer questions about things...

Don't give up on GIMP just yet... unless you've really just got money to burn... If I had the cash I'd probably be looking at a copy of photoshop just for the sake of being able to compare the two programs out put at the same time, but that's only because I'm convinced GIMP is worth the effort. (And I wouldn't mind being able to figure some things out well enough to help coding things into GIMP 3...)

Vascant
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I almost got away with a whole day of drawing and no problems...

If you notice in the attached image, there are some odd discolored lines. I know they comes from when I am making the land mass in step 8. It seems to happen in areas when I am bring the air brush to small perhaps? What I am trying to do is make all the coast lines look alike, as in no difference from the generated coast and the part where I paint. Do you have this problem? Is it something that I will be able to correct when I am at the artistic steps?

Thanks

Ascension
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
If you have a lot of patience you can correct them in the Adjust layers by painting over them with a color. Myself, I'd just scrap it and go back and redo step 8 and not put those stark lines in...if you're making the airbrush smaller the edges become crisper so you will have to lower the opacity even more.

That choice is up to you and I work much faster cuz I know this like my hand. Keep going and do the Adjust layers and see if you can cover them up...Adjust 1 is a colored clouds layer and Adjust 2 is airbrushing colors in places where we want certain colors like swamps and extended deserts.

Vascant
08-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Okay, been having a blast and learning a lot of things. Rather then stopping every time I figure out something new or correct an error I decided to run through all the steps so I get a feel for the complete direction of things. This was going great until Step 42 "The Shelf steps". In fact it might as well be Steps 42,43 and 44 since it really becomes a mess there for me.

If I am reading correctly, the Ocean Copy should not have a Layer Style to clear since you just cleared it, so in effect the duplicate should not have one either? Then you are creating a completely new layer or going back to the just created one?

If you could be so kind as to spell out these steps as you have done so in the past it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ascension
08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
In step 42, we are filling the ocean with black, except around the coasts, merge the layers, and delete the blacks. So instead of black and white clouds all over, the white clouds are limited to being around the coast. In step 43 and 44, we give it that shelf look with an outer bevel with a contour. You know how to add a layer style of bevel and emboss, right? Well that's step 43. Step 44 defines a contour...if you look at the layer style window (pic1) then contour is right under bevel and emboss but just above texture. Click on that and then click on the little window with the contour in it to bring up the contour editor (pic2).

Vascant
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
hmmm. Maybe I am understanding 42 and just don't realize it. I provided screen shots of the different changes in 42 with one simple question, did I understand?

I guess my problem with this was after reading the step, I kind of expected something else.. (learning, sometimes it is like putting your head through a wall)

Thanks

Vascant
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Okay, doing step 43 something seems to be way off. It is like I am working in the wrong area based on your descriptions above. (screen shot provided)

Krases
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
It's possible, but rough... I used many pieces from this one and RobA's regional map tutorial to make a world map recently...

I can't promise lots of help, but this isn't the only Ascension tut I've tried to get to work in GIMP... so if you could post some details of your snags... I can try...

I am in the market anyway for photoshop, so I might just wait until I buy it and try the tutorial again.

To be honest I am a newb anyway. I couldn't even get past step 2 because I didn't know how to make it 8-bit and the cloud rendering came out really weird.

It looks cool though so when I get photoshop it might be the first thing I try.

bryguy
09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Vascant, what were your settings for the bevel and emboss? It seems to me like it is set to inner bevel, instead of outer bevel.

Also, if I am correct your shelf should only be in the area of your landmasses (Including islands) which means that you might not have filled everything in the layer above the shelf layer with black, although it seems in your picture that you might have. Without seeing your file I can't know.

@Krases
The closest thing to Lighting Effects in GIMP is the Bump Map filter. May work best if you use the layer itself as the source for your bump map
As for the cloud rendering, you may want to up the sharpness in the cloud filter, and set it on random, with about 6 for x and y. This makes it more like how it is in photoshop.
One problem you would then have though is that GIMP does not have the same layer modes as photoshop. You can make your landmasses though by duplicating the clouds layer and renaming it to base, then go to Color: Brightness-Contrast, and up the contrast to 100, it does the same as the gray colored layer does in photoshop. You then will have to use the pencil tool to connect different parts of the white/black and fill those in. It may take a while.

Sorry, don't know about 8 bit, I think that must be modified when you choose New Image or whatever.

@Ascension
When following this tutorial I get confused for the Lighting Effects for the Mountains/Hills/Waves. It seems like you have 5 light sources (One in each corner and one in the center) but you only show the radius for one of them. Each time I use it I end up with an almost completely different look (Still looks good though, I especially love how it looks on my deserts)

Oh, and when making the base layer, when you say Soft Brush do you mean the big soft one thats blurry, or the hard edged one?

Ascension
09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes a big soft airbrush tip. As for the lighting, I only show the settings on one because the setting are the same for all five of them (similar radius as well).

bryguy
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes a big soft airbrush tip.

Really> Cause mine turned out with it looking as if I had the land layer on the Dissolve layer mode. Is that how it is supposed to look?

Ascension
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
You should get lots of little white 1 pixel dots around the coasts. If you use hard edged tips then it will mess up when running the lighting effects and you will get something that almost looks beveled. Keep the transitions soft by using an airbrush tip. Later on in the tut we get rid of the dots...Select-modify-contract=1.

bryguy
09-04-2009, 01:22 PM
You should get lots of little white 1 pixel dots around the coasts. If you use hard edged tips then it will mess up when running the lighting effects and you will get something that almost looks beveled. Keep the transitions soft by using an airbrush tip. Later on in the tut we get rid of the dots...Select-modify-contract=1.

Dang I guess I missed that step =\

lol OH well, thanks Ascension :)

Vascant
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Vascant, what were your settings for the bevel and emboss? It seems to me like it is set to inner bevel, instead of outer bevel.

Also, if I am correct your shelf should only be in the area of your landmasses (Including islands) which means that you might not have filled everything in the layer above the shelf layer with black, although it seems in your picture that you might have. Without seeing your file I can't know.

I attached the screen shot showing the FX of the shelf layer and the bevel is as should be. I usually always follow what is in the tutorial first and understand why the settings are what they are before venturing into playing with settings.
(I am fairly new with Photoshop so using these steps to learn and explore the functionality.)

Sorry about the delay, real life finally found where I was hiding at and had to find a new hiding spot ;)

Diamond
09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Ascension for a truly awesome and easy to understand tutorial. Thanks, dude!

Ascension
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
You've deleted the wrong area...the area directly under the landmasses. You're supposed to delete the area away from the land, ie the deep sea.

Tom_Cardin
09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tutorial. I was wondering how everyone was generating the nice ocean contours and that answered it for me!

Ascension
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
You're welcome :)

Wizard72
09-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Hello Ascension,

firstly, this is a great map and a great tutorial. Secondly, I'm running into some difficulties.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 7 (if that helps), and am a complete newbie to Photoshop in general. It took some figuring out, but I've been able to follow your tutorial until Step 21, where the gradients come in. I've made the gradient you use, but when I apply it to my map it comes out looking like this.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/magus_69/GradientsResult.jpg

What did I do wrong?

Ascension
09-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Well, first, the tut doesn't really translate well to Elements because it doesn't have the same features and functions. Second, it looks ok to me. Go a few more steps and then let's see.

Endarguul
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for this great tut. I tried creating a map by following your instructions step by step and I added some layers for the ice-part in the north and the forests in the southern regions. I posted the map in the WIP section, here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=81873#post81873)

Gidde
10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm working on translating this to the GIMP, and whereas I think I'm pretty close, I'd like to post up some step-by-step pics to request advice from everyone on some steps that aren't translating as well as others.

Should I post that up here, in its own tut thread, or in a WIP thread (and then post up the finished product here)? Don't want to bogart credit, but don't want to hijack this thread, either. So I'm in a quandary. Help?

Ascension
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Put it here, sort of as a one-stop-shop collecting place. When you finally get it done we'll put it in the first post of the thread.

Gidde
10-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Ok, so here's the translation up to the mountains, which is the first place I'm having trouble getting it to look as similar as I'd like. The steps I'm following are in the pdf, and here are pics to this point following the PS tutorial (2nd pic) and the translation (1st pic). The zip contains gradient and palette files for gimp, as well.

Specifically, I don't like how "hard" the gimp mountains are compared to the original, but I'm not sure how to go about softening them; gimp's bump map works very differently from PS's bevel.

Coyotemax
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
To be honest, I like the gimp mountains the way they came out. I think you're on to something there!

Ascension
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
That's lookin pretty good.

Gidde
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Coyote, and thanks twice to Ascension, first for solving my dilemma and then for the comment :)

Forging ahead, here's the hills done. The pdf goes from the beginning up to this point; I made a few changes to the beginning.

The gimp translation post is first, the PS comparison pic is second.

Ramah
10-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I think those mountains look great on the Gimp version.

I love Ascension's overall style created in these tuts but I've never been a real fan of the mountains in them, which most of the time to me look more like rolling clouds or a beautiful nebula than mountains, which is why I usually comment when people improve (in my eyes) upon the usual mountain results when they follow this tutorial.

I would imagine that at the distance your map is drawn the mountains would maybe not appear that craggy, dunno, I think they look cool though. :)

Amazon_warrior
10-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I just had a go at this tut today, and it's been very educational and fun. The results can be seen in this thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=83914#post83914). :D

All that remains is to say thanks very much! :)

Gidde
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting ... between the tablet temporarily going haywire and how darned hard the continental shelf was to translate, this part took a while.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

As always, we have a PS shot following Asc's tut to the letter (or trying to), a gimp shot showing the translation, and a pdf for the steps followed.

Steel General
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like you're making really good progress so far.

RobA
10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

Consider trying either the layer-effects script (or plugin) for gimp, or my chisel/carve script http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/chisel-carve-script-t32849s125.html on a slightly noised-up continental shelf selection.

-Rob A>

Gidde
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks SG :)

I think this is the final translation. I didn't go into the country naming, city placing, labelling, etc., since it's already explained very well and didn't really need translation (those steps are pretty transferable from PS to gimp).

If anyone has any crits/suggestions for improvement, I'll certainly update it as needed.

I'm not uploading a PS version this time, since at this point it can be compared with Ascension's, and his is better ;) I am uploading a Word version though, so that the real author can make edits if he wants to.

I hope this helps other gimp users as much as it helped me to make it. I learned a lot about both programs in the process. Thanks again for a great tutorial.

Gidde
10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Oops! Cross-post. I'll try that this afternoon and see if I can't get it looking better. Thanks Rob!

Notsonoble
10-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Gidde, thanks for this conversion...Yours came out way better than my mix of it and RobA's regional map... and has me half tempted to redo my maps for Krenna again...

Repped... And yes your mountains do look better IMHO...

Gidde
10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey Rob, for some reason I'm getting an error when I try that link. Is it working for you?

Gandwarf
10-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey Rob, for some reason I'm getting an error when I try that link. Is it working for you?

The link doesn't seem to work at the moment. Judging by the error I think it's temporary.

smyrin
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
The process will be a lil longer for you but here's what you need to do:
1. Filter-render-clouds to start with.
2. Duplicate this layer (will be named background copy).
3. Create a new layer.
4. Use the 300 soft round airbrush with 10% flow, use black and white, paint black to fill in some ocean and white to fill in some land. You don't need a whole lot, just go over these places once or twice.
5. When you have something that you like, hit ctrl+shift+E (this merges all visible layers and puts the final output on it's own layer while leaving the rest of the layers below intact).
6. Image-adjustments-brightness/contrast=set the contrast up to 100.
7. If you see places where you want to make some further adjustments, then delete the top layer and go back to the painting layer. When happy repeat steps 5 and 6.
8. When you finally get to something that you can live with, rename the contrast adjusted layer to "base" and rename the "background copy" layer to "ocean".
9. Proceed with the rest of the tut.

EDIT: I re-attached the re-edited version (in post #1) and I hope this one works.

Hey all, just found the site and am giving your tut a try. I am also using PS 7.0 and have had some difficulty following along. Couple of questions.

Question 1:
At step 5, you merge all the visible layers. Which layers should be visible at this point? When I complete this step all the layers are visible and I end up with just one. I don’t understand the “rest of the layers below intact” part.

Question 2:
Your tutorial is great but I don’t understand the why’s of doing something. If I could understand them, I would be better equipped to solve problems when I run into trouble. For example, rather than step 3-4 I could just select or create a copy of the clouds layer and then perform step 6 on it right away and I get the cow like pattern of black and white without having to use the airbrush on a new layer. What am I not getting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ascension
11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Ah, typo on step 5. It should be create a new layer and then hit ctrl + alt + shift + E. As for your other question, if you didn't like the results then you'd have to dump the layer and start over. By painting on an empty layer you never alter the clouds and if you don't like the results then you just add more black or white or erase a bit on the empty layer. You can do it your way, nothing wrong with that. Try it and see. By the way, the tut is not the Bible so you can edit and tweak things 'til your heart's content. There are many steps and many tools and filters so play around with all of them and see what you come up with. :)

smyrin
11-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I think the tutorial you wrote is an excellent tool and I heartily appreciate all the hard work you have done including answering the pestering questions of those following after you. You are genius, man!

Aside the accolades, I muddled through and managed to put something together once I understood what needed doing. I found a cool way of changing the gradient for different areas of the land mass which I will mess with.

I'm gonna try a few things and if I get something worthy of looking at, I will post. Thanks again for your work! By the way, do you have any other tutorials to look at? Is there a post somewhere that has links to ALL of them! I want more!!!

Ascension
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I have a few other tuts in the Tuts section for different styles, some good some not so much (the forest one is pretty bad and the volcano one is confusing). I never got around to putting links to them in my signature like others have done. It would probably be handy if I did that but I sort of see it as shameless self-promotion...not that there's anything wrong with that :)

smyrin
11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
My first attempt:

See attachment.

smyrin
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Wow that came out too big! How do you do that attached thumbnail thing I see most posts have. Lemme know asap and I will edit the post and fix it!

Sorry....

Steel General
11-10-2009, 09:18 AM
After clicking the "Edit" button, click on the "Go Advanced" button and use the file upload tool there.

smyrin
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
After clicking the "Edit" button, click on the "Go Advanced" button and use the file upload tool there.

Thanks a million!

impervius
12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I am truly not seeing anything like your picture by the time i've reached step 22. :(

i attach a screenshot- what have i missed out?
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1870/screenshotee.jpg

Ascension
12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
You're missing the land layer that goes between the ocean layer and the hills layer. The layer styles that you have on the base layer go on the land layer. The base layer should never be seen, it is only used to define selections.

TheJayde
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I am totally stuck on Step 21. The Adding Style Layers is where my problem is. Could I get a quick sub-tutorial on how I am supposed to add them? I dont see that there is a particular place with which Im supposed to add them, or if they are a layer, or what. Or what kind of style layer, or what have you. Please help!

Edit: Are the Style Layers completely blank layers with Color Overlays and nothing else?

21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 148); and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

Ascension
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
At the bottom of the layer palette, or layer stack, you will see a black circle with a white cursive f...that is the button to click to add a layer style to a layer. The layer style affects everything on the layer so if the layer is empty then nothing gets affected. You can "fool" the computer by turning the fill down to zero but it knows that there are pixels there somewhere and so it will try to do what you tell it to do with the layer style. From reading your other post I can also tell you that you should have multiple layers, not just one. You should have a layer with clouds, a layer called ocean, a layer called land, a layer called hills, a layer called mountains, and a layer called base. The base layer gets nothing done to it. The first clouds layer is there in case you mess up so you have something to go back to in order to start over. The ocean layer gets a gradient map of blues, the land layer gets a layer style of gradient overlay and color overlay, the hills and mountains each get color overlays. Also, this is for Photoshop so it won't work in Corel or Gimp or Paint Shop.

TheJayde
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
This is where I'm at. I may be starting over just to make sure I didnt mess up, but i REALLY dont want to start over.

TheJayde
01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I redid another one, and I found out where my error was most likely. I must have messed up on one of the steps.

Edit: After getting to the same point, I still have no clue how to proceed from this point on. I believe the following is problematic in the description to my brain.

Add a layer style;

You say that, and then you go on to number off a bunch of colors and what not, but you dont explain where they go persay. Also, I'd like to point out that I had no issue with the previous command which made sure that I had the correct number of layers, and as to how they were labeled. Are you meaning to say that in the order you mentioned those layers in the previous command, are to be done in order, one at a time with the current command I'm stuck on?

Ascension
01-09-2010, 03:10 PM
This is what step 21 says:

Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style of gradient overlay; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 148); and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

So far it looks like your fine and have just finished step 20. I'm not sure what's the problem here. Layers styles are the button at the bottom right that looks like fx...since I'm using an older version of PS mine is a white f on a black circle.

TheJayde
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I figured it out. For some reason, I couldnt find the words gradiant overlay in the document. Though It's all good and this tutorial has given me a lot of education in the creation of maps and the like. I even took your idea and tweaked a lot of the ideals put out in yours. Like, I made my mountains more prominent as an example. I did that by copying the mountain ranges twice, and one of them had the color overlay of pink, so that the other and all the other layers balanced it out to a more solid brown color.

Anywho, when Im not being tardus, the tutorial works great. Thanks a lot!

TheJayde
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
The more I look at this and the more I do, the only thing that I have an issue with with this map style is that the mountains and hills aren't defined as well as I would like them to be, and forests aren't defined at all. Also my world has north being closer to the equator and there is a lot of jungle involved, so the gradient overlay doesn't really suit a jungle region. Great if you want tons of desert though, which means on the other continent of my world, I am likely to use this style for it, but until then.

Edit: As I think about it, I could just erase the areas that I wanted to be jungle in the Base layer, and build a base 2 layer in the areas where the jungle is going to come into play.

Nokomys
01-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi there, I am new to your forums. Well kind of, I have been lurking for probably 1 or 2 months off and on. I am trying Ascensions TUT here and I want to say this is awesome and thanks for sharing it. I am confused I think and stopped after I got a ways into it. I got lost int he duplicate layers so I am sure that I have killed off a layer that I need. I am missing the Base [ this was merged with ocean after making a copy of the background copy and so base is gone]. I noticed that something was amiss when I got to hitting ctrl+f to drop the last used lighting effects on Land. In the beginning of the TUT I was really confused so I started writing it out as i went looking at Ascensions TUT for the guide of course and this is what I have. Maybe someone can tell me what I have done wrong? Any detailed answers on the steps would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshots (http://www.compujunkie.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3522)
Steps as I understood them:
Step 1. Layer 1= Rename to BG and render clouds on it.

Step 2. Layer 2= Duplicate layer 1, it will be called BG 1 Copy.

Step 3. Layer 3= Create new layer, Click EDIT>Fill set to 50% gray. On layers list click on the dropdown where it says normal and select hard mix. Rename this layer to Base.

Step 4. Select BG 1 Copy and start painting. {Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the Airbrush soft round 300 and use smaller airbrushes as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land.
}

Step 5. Duplicate BG 1 Copy and name it Ocean. Select it and Base then right click and select link.

Step 6. now you want to Merge them. Click layers>Merge or ctrl+e.This is going to leae you with Base. [Rename to Ocean?]

Step 7. Select>Color Range. Click the eye dropper and click on black, set Fuzzyness to 200. Click ok. Now click Delete. Now deselect ctrl+d.
**NOTE to Photoshop Elements users: If you are using Photoshop Elements then you will have to use the Magic Wand tool and click on a black pixel somewhere then delete and deselect. Hide the “base” layer and click on the “ocean” layer. **

Step 8. Duplicate this layer and rename it from Ocean Copy to Hills. Now select Filter>Render>Difference Clouds, then hit ctrl+f to do it again and duplicate it to call it Mountains.

Step 9. Hide the Mountains layer. Click hills then Filter>Noise> Add Noise 5% gaussian and monochromatic.

Step 10. Click on the Mountains layer and then Filter > Render > Lighting effects = use the following settings:
Light type: Spotlight
Intensity= 25 Full
Focus= 100 wide
Properties--
Gloss= -100 Matte
Material= 100 Metallic
Exposure= 0
Ambience= 8 Positive
Texture Channel = Red
Hight= Mountains 100
Click ok

Step 11. Hide Mountains layer and select Hills. And then
Filter > Render > Lighting effects = use the following settings (there are 5 omni lights all with the same settings...to add a new light click on the light bulb):
Change light type to Omni and change Intensity to 6 full and leave the rest the same as is. Move the center of the circle to the lower right corner of your map.

Step 12. Hide the Hills layer. click on Ocean. Duplicate it and rename to Land. Hit ctrl+f to repeat the last lighting effects again.

Ascension
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
You have to duplicate the ocean layer.

Nokomys
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok I know it has to be duplicated... I guess maybe I did not make it clear.. sorry... I am redoing this and here is where I am currently confused...
Step 8 says "8. Click back on the “ocean” layer (on the layers palette) and duplicate it. Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the Airbrush soft round 300 and use smaller airbrushes as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land.

Then Step 10 says "10. When happy, duplicate this layer (it will be named “ocean copy”) and click on the “base” layer. Link the “base” and “ocean copy” layers together; on the layer palette you will see a box with an eye and a box with a brush in it – the brush means that this is the active layer and the eye means that the layer is visible. If you click in an empty box a chain will appear...this is the link. Once the layers are linked then merge down (ctrl+e) or Layer > Merge down.

so on this when looking at it.. I would see Ocean ... Ocean Copy ... Ocean Copy Copy.
So do you paint on Ocean Copy and then duplicate it [ocean copy copy] then link ocean copy copy to Base and merge? because this is what I would have. Right now I have [in order from bottom to top] Background / Ocean / Ocean Copy [which I have painted on to fix the ocean / Base.] Do I duplicate Ocean copy then link and merge it to base? I hope I am not confusing you hehe.

** Correction it makes Ocean Copy 2...

P.S. Sorry to be a pain in the butt....

Ascension
01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
No you should have ocean and ocean copy and base. When base merges down to ocean copy, if linked, the resulting layer will be named base. At that point you should have ocean and base.

Nokomys
01-18-2010, 12:38 AM
ah ok. now I follow, I do apologize again for being a pain it just for some reason could not wrap my head around it and was so confused.

Nokomys
01-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Now that I have that straight, I had a question about the position of the layers on your instruction it says:
20. You should have 6 layers; from top to bottom: “base”, “mountains” and “hills” (all hidden) then “land”, “ocean” and “background” (all visible) and you should still be on the “land” layer.

Currently I have Mountains, Hills, Base, Ocean, Background. I ran into this on the other attempt and when i moved it [Base] to the top to match what your instruction had there I had more problems with what was displayed. Also when I attempt to start adding the color instead of the landmass being filled gradient the sea fills.
Image set 3 (http://www.compujunkie.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3522). I will keep trying to get this figured out and post if I solve it but in the meantime if you get a chance to look at it let me know what you think I did wrong. Thank you... *NOTE I did move Base to the top to match what you listed in the screen shots and then tried to add on the gradients. =)

Nokomys
01-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok I had to skip Select>Inverse to get it right.

Nokomys
01-18-2010, 02:47 AM
another update.. I feel stupid now as I discovered that I did indeed totally miss a step.. Hide base and duplicate ocean to name it hills. I had been duplicating Base and then moving forward. I bet it all works perfectly now. lol jeesh.. thank you for putting up with me and sorry I spammed the forums here. I think I may be ok now. I'll post a image when it is done.

Ascension
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
No problem, man...happens all the time. I write difficult tuts so people are bound to get confused so I do my best to help.

Nokomys
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok I did indeed get something that looked pretty good. I will probably follow the rest of the tut later on but now I got a wild hair to experiment a bit with the process now that I have an idea how to do some of it.
Here is what I stopped with.. Click Me (http://www.compujunkie.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3538&g2_imageViewsIndex=0) I spent some time looking at the River Police stuff and I hope that I did not violate the laws of river hehe but I am not to sure.

Ascension
01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Looks like you stopped before adding layer styles to the hills and mountains but looks like you have it down.

arsheesh
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Gidde, I'm new to the Guild and am nearly finished with my first map. This map was made in GIMP, and for the most part, was created by means of your tutorial. I want to thank you fro taking the time to write up this tutorial. I have only a fledgling understanding of GIMP, and none at all of Photoshop. I sincerely doubt that I would be able to do a conversion of Ascension's Atlas Style on my own. You have earned "rep" in my book.

Cheers,

Arsheesh.

(Oh, almost forgot; here is a link to my map):

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8895-First-Map-Ascension%28ish%29-Style!

Blackknight1239
01-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Wooo, first post. Alright.

So, I'm having a little trouble with the tutorial so far. Step 17, in fact. I can't seem to figure out how to do the lighting on the "hills" layer right. Any tips?

Ascension
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Uh no, not really. Everything is in the tut. If you throw up a screenshot maybe I can see what's going on...it's usually a case of a missed step elsewhere.

arsheesh
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Ascension, it just occurred to me that I never properly thanked you for your tutorial. Your work is inspirational in and of itself. Yet the fact that you are willing and take the time to share your techniques with the rest of us has impacted this community tremendously. I can find traces of your style in many of my favorite maps on this site. My own map is 90% or more a derivative of your Atlas style. I, and many others here are indebted to you. Thanks for this and your many other amazing tutorials. Here is a tiny bit of rep to add to your already immense fame.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Ascension
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
No prob, man, you're welcome...and thanks. That's why I'm here - help teach and learn and it makes us all better...one map at a time.

Immolate
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
arsheesh,

I heartily agree! Ramah was my inspiration, but Ascension, through his tutorials and commentary, is my mentor.

Jasmine coast is one of the most visually stunning maps I've ever seen.

Thanks Ascension!

Ascension
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Imm. Y'all are too nice. :)

Rongar
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Okay, first of all: Thanks Ascension for this great tut and thanks Gidde for your translation to GIMP! :)

After a few abortions & retries I finally made it quite far through the tutorial, but now I seem to be stuck.

In the GIMP version by Gidde it reads:

34. New layer (Transparency), name it Adjust2. With Adjust2:
a. Airbrush tool, using colors from step 22 to paint extensions of desert/plains
b. Layer mode to Hue
c. Add layer mask (Channel: Coastline)

But step 22 reads:

22. Hide Mountains, Snowcaps, and MountainColor layers.

Umm, huh? Can anyone help me out? :?:

arsheesh
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, that stifled me too at first. I eventually concluded that this was a typo and that what Gidde meant was not "step 22" but "step 33" since the colors in step 33 were the only ones that I could find mentioned throughout the tutorial that actually made sense for deserts and plains. Yet I might have been mistaken about this, and if I am, I hope someone will correct me. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Rongar
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh snap, that makes sense. :D Thanks mate. :)

arsheesh
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
No problem. Oh, and be sure to post your map when you get a chance.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

xandder
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey I'm running through this tutorial (on PS CS2), and at step 20 I've run into a problem. I've got 2 ocean copy's and no base copy. 1 is just a white area where the land is and the other is a clouded area covering the same land area. This led (I think) to step 21 resulting in just the color red covering the land area. So which ocean copy is supposed to be base? Do they get merged? Does one get deleted? Any help is much appreciated.

Ascension
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
You missed a step somewhere and I think I know where you are what we're dealing with but I need a screenshot to be sure.

xandder
02-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Alright, well I think I've gotten that straightened out somehow. Now I've gotten to the mountain stage and I've noticed a few things. I've got a couple wierdly colored areas where differently colored zones interact. Also my mountains seem patchy and small in general and the polar and equatorial areas seem plain and undetailed. I don't know if this is normal for this stage, but it doesn't look similar to the tutorial's screenshot.21938

Ascension
02-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Looks right on track to me...it's been so long that I've done this that I can't be sure at only 16.7%

xandder
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Okay I'm up to the rivers step, and everything looks good except for one issue. In the tutorial pictures there are small bumps all over the terrain which I'm lacking, and there is a definite lack of terrain around the polar and equatorial regions, everywhere else has nice terrain features, but these areas are just solid colors.21946

Ascension
02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
The problem with the white is that the airbrushing is solid...you should have reduced the flow on the airbrush tip (it's at the top of the screen, default is 100% but you should use 10% and slowly build things up). For now, what layer is the white airbrushing on? Take that layer an either change the blend mode or reduce the opacity.

xandder
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay, so i checked the airbrush level, and well it does cause some issue, its effect isn't that great. Stripping down all but the land and ocean layers, it looks like the original gradient overlay for the land has created this problem. In the gradient areas colored olive, there is nice detail and it looks good, but the desert and polar areas are just solid white/papyrus. I tried fiddling around with the layer and I just can't seem to get it so that both the details and the colors are there. Is there maybe a better color selection so that the detail shows up? I tried fiddling with that as well, too no good effect.

Edit: I think I've solved my own problem here. Instead of creating the desert and polar areas alongside the temperate regions by method of the gradient overlay, I created a solid gradient overlay of olive green, which preserved the land texture and detail everywhere. I then created desert and polar areas using the appropriate colors and the 10% flow airbrush on the 'adjust 2' layer, which also reduced detail, but only where I decided it could be reduced.

NicolaiBrix
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh no... This toturial will keep me up all night now, and THANKS buddy. Thats some nice work. :))

geoff_nunn
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Gidde and Ascension,

Thank you so much for doing this. I was going through Gidde's Gimp translation last night and I got everything looking pretty good. The only problem is the tutorial uses a technique for generating random mountain range locations. While it appears to be possible to remove parts of them, I can't figure out how to simply draw them in. I am creating the worldmap for a D&D campaign that is currently in progress, and my players have already explored through some very specific mountain ranges. Any ideas on techniques for replacing the random generation through cloud layers with one that results in the same look, but in a pre-planned layout?

I should note that I tried applying Rob A's technique from his regional map tutorial, but I couldn't get the styles to mesh well.

Also, W00T post 200 on this thread!

Ascension
03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Well the easiest thing to do is use a lasso tool, wrangle up a nice chunk of mountains from somewhere, and then move them where you want them. If Gimp supports a fuzziness then the edges will not be cut hard, if it doesn't have fuzziness support then I'd use a very low opacity eraser (around 5%) and erase around the edges until it blends seamlessly.

arsheesh
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, I just posted this in response to Geoff's quarry on his Westerlands (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9495-Subcontinent-The-Westerlands-in...&p=103773#post103773) WIP post, but I have an idea for a possible way to manually arrange mountains that might be slightly more hassle free. Instead of waiting till after mountain completion (step 20 in Gidde's pdf) to erase/move the already finished mountains, why not simply move the mountain cloud patterns themselves (this step would take place in-between 15a. and 15b. of the Gidde pdf, I'm not sure which step it would occur in within Ascension's tutorial) to where you want the mountain ranges to be. If you do this it would save you from having to do as much "touch up" detail after the fact, since all of the subsequent steps in mountain creation would simply work with the newly arranged clouds patterns. Well, just a thought.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Ascension
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
It's a thought but in the PS version that might take longer, maybe not, shrug. I find it easier to use a feathered lasso and move mtns around much easier than moving grayscale clouds around. Also, moving the grayscale clouds around would create empty places that would have to be airbrushed in with a layer underneath so the the spot is totally filled. This is all PS specific so I'm not sure how this would work in Gimp.

geoff_nunn
03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey,

I tried to comment earlier, but apparently it didn't show up. First off, Ascension and Gidde, thanks for the awesome tutorials. I made sure to throw you both some rep.

I used the lasso technique on the WIP map that Arsheesh linked to above. It worked fairly well, but there were a couple issues.
1. dragging the mountains around caused them to become out of sync with the hills layer. Gidde's technique uses the same cloud layer to generate both the hills and mountains. When you don't have to hand place them, this has the result of automatically creating foothills around all of the mountains, in addition to some other scattered hills.

When I manually adjusted the mountain layer, it pulled this lovely effect all out of sync. Unfortunately, if I had waited and flattened the hills and mountains into a single layer before doing anything, I would have wound up with little green foothills in the middle of my mountain ranges wherever I had to paste the mountains into place.

2. Dragging them also caused some of them to float over some of the lakes on my map... Again, when I was physically placing them.

I think I'm going to have another go at this using a hybrid between the random technique in the above-mentioned tutorials and the layer sandwich technique Rob A uses in his Artistic Regional Map Tutorial.

Ascension
03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
If you keep a basic black and white shape for your continent on it's own layer or in a channel then you can use that as a mask and never have stuff in the water. Man-handling mtns into the right place will create those hard edge lines if your lasso tool does not have a feather or fuzzy feature. To fix that you may have to use a low opacity eraser (5%) to blend them in.

geoff_nunn
03-04-2010, 01:38 AM
I had the lasso set to a 25px feather on the edges.

hohum
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I thank my lucky stars for coming back to this thread and reading it through. Thanks to Ascension for sharing his style, Gidde for converting it to GIMP and arsheesh for proving to me that the kind of map I was wanting to do could be done. I had given up on my project as unattainable, but now I have hope.

I sincerely hope that Gidde's PDF and zip pack (containing the gradient and palette) will be included in the first post and in the PDF section. I found it difficult to locate.

I would like to add that I found it easier to use a large feathered brush to get the desired effect in steps #1e and #20b. I think I under erased the mountains and that may have contributed to my issues with hills. I also felt like I was having difficulty with selecting the hills by color after it had had the noise filter added. @arsheesh: Did you raise the hills level when you used it as forest?

I also struggled with the lack of screen shots for some of the selection and creation steps with the hills and mountains. So my advice is just follow the tutorial, the mountains don't look right until step #18, and then bang!

I will also re-iterate that in step #34a where it says use the colors from #22 is a typo. Use the colors from the previous step.

The only other typo I've found is #40e, it should be Threshold 15 (not 150).

I still need to jazz up/ bevel the rivers or something and I skipped the Nation and labeling part for now. Except for the hills I am fairly happy with the result.

Thanks again.

P.S. Ascension, Gidde and arsheesh all repped.

arsheesh
04-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Nice job Hohum! To answer your question, I do not recall raising the hills layer itself. I added two Hill (i.e. "tree") color layers above the hills layer and set them each to soft light. Since making my original map I have worked on developing a more controlled method for getting trees exactly where you want them. If you are interested in the details I can send you a beta-test version of a tut I've created that outlines the process (just send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the pdf).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Aenigma
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey. I've been trying this tut out now in Ps CS4. After several attempts I've made it to step 21 and now I'm stuck.
I simply cannot select>inverse. It says "warning: no pixels were selected"

Also: Why does it say at 8: "Click back on the “ocean” layer (on the layers palette) and duplicate it." and then at 10: "When happy, duplicate this layer (it will be named “ocean copy”)" ?
When I do this, I end up with "ocean copy 2" and thus I still have an ocean layer and an ocean layer copy when I've linked one of the ocean copies (I did it with ocean copy 2) and the base layer together.

I'd be glad for any assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Ascension
05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I think I know what happened but I need a screenshot to be sure. Make sure the layers palette is visible. My guess is that you have not deleted the black on the "base" layer but I want the screenshot to be sure.

Aenigma
05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
I think I know what happened but I need a screenshot to be sure. Make sure the layers palette is visible. My guess is that you have not deleted the black on the "base" layer but I want the screenshot to be sure.

Ok, thanks for the quick response =D Here's the screenshot you asked for. (I've done up to step 20 here)
Note that I've linked the "base layer" with the "ocean copy 2" layer that I got due to what was written in steps 8. and 10.

(btw other than those little snags, I think it's an awesome tut :D)

Ascension
05-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Yep, your base layer is completely filled. You missed a step somewhere, 11 I think. Click on the base layer. Select - color range = black with a fuzziness of anything. Hit the delete key and deselect (ctrl-d).

Aenigma
05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I did exactly that.
Or do you mean that I have to select "black" in the same selection screen as where I selected "fuzziness" ? Because that was not possible. I just assumed that I should have black as my chosen colour so that I could paint black with a brush.

Can I simply go back to step 11 and edit there or do I have to do everything from 11 to 20 again?

thanks for the help.

Ascension
05-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Select - color range uses the foreground color as a default, no choosing something different once the screen is open. My previous post is all you need to do then once that's done go back and continue at step 21.

Aenigma
05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Select - color range uses the foreground color as a default, no choosing something different once the screen is open. My previous post is all you need to do then once that's done go back and continue at step 21.

A great many thanks :)

matt_s
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Very nice style and the tutorial looks good to

Aenigma
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Huh. It still says "Warning: No pixles were selected" when I ctrl-click on the base layer in the layer palette. I've tried several times.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be because I'm using Cs4?

;_;

Ascension
05-06-2010, 03:37 PM
You have to delete the blacks first, that will leave you with the solid white landmasses. Click on the base layer to make it active. Select - color range = black. Hit the delete key on your keyboard then deselect (ctrl-d).

Aenigma
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
You have to delete the blacks first, that will leave you with the solid white landmasses. Click on the base layer to make it active. Select - color range = black. Hit the delete key on your keyboard then deselect (ctrl-d).

That's exactly what I did :o

Ascension
05-07-2010, 03:46 PM
The previous screenshot shows black in the thumbnail on the base layer. Show me another screenshot I guess.

Aenigma
05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
You know what? I'll just do everything from the beginning, veeeery slowly :P

Ascension
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I was thinking that myself as I was writing my previous post :) But I hate to tell folks to start over.

Gidde
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry Hohum, I missed your post there and my translation pdf disappeared with the rest of my attachments in my bonehead deletion move last week. Here it is again:

Torius
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Could Gidde's conversion of this method to GIMP be linked on the master Tutorials thread? Thanks

DracoDragon
05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey there Ascension and everyone else. I'm currently having an issue with the water elevation, specific step 42-44 on the Shelf Layer. My water doesn't look like the screen shot provided basically. I was wonder if there is a step or something I'm missing from the tutorial. Thanks in advanced!

Also, where do you get the starts with circles around them to note a capital city?

Ascension
05-30-2010, 10:07 AM
The reason is that you deleted the area that is supposed to be the shelf and left the area that is open sea. So when you bevel it it will look backward. The continental shelf is made of land so think of it as an enlarged landmass and not a hole.

DracoDragon
05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks. I have found where I made the error and fixed it! Wootness.

Sinastir
06-05-2010, 02:24 AM
I tried this tutorial to make my first map. I had a hard time following a few things (maybe because I use cs4 ext?) but I think I pulled through. I'll post the result here, but I think I will start up a WIP thread as well.

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Valtharius
07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Ascension.... you are nothing short of a miracle worker! Thank you so much for this great tutorial! This is my first time using Photoshop for a project (other than cropping pictures of the kids and grandkids lol) and the steps were easy to understand.

My original post was from quite a while ago... WIP - Argontath (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?5164-Argontath-Work-in-Progress). Between the time of my computer burning out and picking up a decent laptop I trolled the forums on my iPhone and gleaned what I could from the work you and others have done. I must have read and re-read your tutorial a hundred times.

I worked out a preliminary map and played around with the tutorial until I was comfortable with it. Then I started five maps (of the six continents) at the same time and followed the steps 3 or 4 at a time. Once I was on the third map I was more comfortable and working much quicker. I took to heart what you said about the tutorial not being a bible and to play around with the settings. It took a bit of courage, but I screwed with the continental shelves and the effect looks a bit different. I am happy with the effect. I am going to sit down and figure out the river system now. Now that I am somewhat comfortable I will most likely re-do the maps in a much larger size to apply more detail, but I wanted to share what I have done so far.

Lantier (1100x1100) is an undiscovered and uninhabited continent to the north of the continent of Khaitaer-Ypriss. Perhaps there are ruins of an ancient civilization?

Tathis (2600x2600) is the eastern continent and one of the two primary continents for my world (in terms of where the campaign characters are from). The western regions are explored and inhabited. the far eastern and far southern reaches are unexplored territory.

Kaitan (1200x1200) is a continent to the far south east and unknown to the 'civilized' world. Its inhabitants are a feral race hell-bent on conquering whatever lands they find. They are just starting to explore the world in which the players live... and will not hesitate to make their presence known.

Khaitaer-Ypriss (2600x2600) is the western continent and one of the two primary continents for my world (in terms of where the campaign characters are from). The northern continent of Khaitaer is inhabited in the western and eastern regions. The central region is ringed by mountains that holds a vast swampland-jungle. The southern continent of Yppris is largely unexplored territory and inhabited by bands of tribesman.

Ascalon (1600x1600) is an unknown continent to the far northeast. It holds thriving and ancient civilizations that are largely disinterested with outward expansion and focus more on their maintaining their borders with the other countries in their part of the world.

Thank you again Ascension for everything you have taught me!

~Val

Ascension
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Ah I see, you have a much more subtle shelf...looks good. The one thing to watch out for is the gradient overlay that puts the colors in (the land layer I think) so unless those two lands on the left are near the poles you might want to tweak the gradient. You have some nice looking shapes going on and that's like the second thing that people notice after colors...so far so good. And thanks for the props, it's what I do - teach. :)

edit: never mind what I said about the gradient, saw your other post and everything checks out just fine.

cu11
07-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Apologies for my images - i have no idea how to resize them down thought the site might of done it for me.

I too having difficulties - im quite proficiate at finding my way around photoshop.. but theres one part that confuses me.

IT says:

20. You should have 6 layers; from top to bottom: “base”, “mountains” and “hills” (all hidden) then “land”, “ocean” and “background” (all visible) and you should still be on the “land” layer. Now we have our basic elevations set up so let’s add some color.
21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect.

At 20 i was like thats correct ! Then 21 throws me.

So i apply the gradient... after deselecting and yet it affects the ocean rather than the land..i knew it was going to happen from read the in steps but not until i saw your picture at stage 22 that some thing is a miss.

Can you explain what i got wrong?

Ascension
07-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Well, first off, you're missing two layers - the Land layer and the Mountains layer - so you must have skipped a few steps. When done correctly you should be on the Land layer, the Base layer should be a big white landmass (black is the ocean) so when you ctrl-click on the Base layer and Select - Inverse and delete you end up deleting the ocean from the Land layer. As for the uploading, click on "Go advanced", scroll down to "Manage attachments" and click on that, then use thingamabob to upload your image as an attachment.

cu11
07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah i went back a few steps than took the picture but kept the images of the layers that i got wrong.

The pure white land was becomes a difference cloud when i merge the layer with base how ever which is where it goes wrong for me.

This part:
10. When happy, duplicate this layer (it will be named “ocean copy”) and click on the “base” layer. Link the “base” and “ocean copy” layers together; on the layer palette you will see a box with an eye and a box with a brush in it – the brush means that this is the active layer and the eye means that the layer is visible. If you click in an empty box a chain will appear...this is the link. Once the layers are linked then merge down (ctrl+e) or Layer > Merge down.

Ascension
07-31-2010, 03:46 PM
The base layer should be filled with 50% gray (not 50% opacity but true medium gray - RGB of 128, 128, 128) and the blend mode should be hard mix. So what you should see would be what I call cow spots. And when you merge down, since there should be no problem now, everything turns out fine. Then you delete the black ocean and the base layer has the white continents on it. Then you use that base layer for the later steps.

MediocreMemory
08-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I loved this tutorial so much, I made a script for cs4 to get it done quicker. The steps are in order of the tutorial and the stops are for the hand drawn parts. I also added an action that creates a height map from the image. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial!

[ Action Script Download (http://mediocrememory.webs.com/Atlas%20Mapping.atn) ]

Ascension
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for making the action - I never got around to doing it.

Lord_Infinitus
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I did Giddies Version, I kinda like GIMP more than Photoshop.

I can add a few warnings:
If you mess with the colorslider wrongly to prevent overwhitening in the northern region you get the whitened areas in the desert. I still don't know correctly when this happened, but the same problem occurs with the mountains, I overbrushed the with the color, and well... you see it on the image.

it was late at night and i probably wasn't paying full attention, but the mountain problem and the salt-desert problem popped up at a quite late step, I actually noticed them only the next day... maybe it is because I suck at brushing.

Maybe I was to groggy.

Anyways thanks you two. In complement with the techniques RobA and the Photorealistic Forest-Guy presented, they are very instructive and the whole tutorials are awesome.

After doing standard GIMP tuts, I thought I might try these ones... well they are a treasure for everyone, not only for cartographers, thanks.

Ascension
09-04-2010, 08:23 AM
That looks nice, I dig it a lot. If you want to go back over the deserts then create a new layer and paint some color in and mess with the blend modes or opacity.

Lord_Infinitus
09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, this one was primarily thought for testing out the tutorial. Whereas I noted: Paintbrush over the mountains after you adjusted the color.
Thanks for the additional tips. But for a final map I am sure to use a diagonal line instead of the horizontal one to adjust it, because you can get more stuff in there.
I don't know when I have time to do another map, but it is the next one I will do. Probably you might want to add a method to extract single countries from the map, to create a regional map of them.

and I noticed another thing, if you choose a not rectangular map in GIMP, you will have to scale the two noise sizes when generating solid noise.
So if you are doing 2000 x 1200, and the solid noise generation says 9 and 9, you will have to do 9 and 5.4; it is to keep the ratios, so your clouds won't look streched.

Ancient
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
First of all, it is a VERY FANTASTIC Tutorial, surely one of the best (including the results) i've stubmled over so far. Just a question, i don't know if I made a mistake.

- After creating the landmass (step 9 in the word document) my coastlines look as such in closeup:

- You usually don't notice that if zoomed out, however zooming in because not so pretty.
- Any idea how to "smoothen" the coastlines using some sort of filter? I tried a while, but neither result made me happy. Anyone any ideas?

Ascension
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Yep, pretty easy fix. While the "Base" layer is still black and white hit the filter Noise-Median and choose 1 or 2. This will smooth out your coasts.

Ancient
09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Worked nicely, thanks. Just another small question. While creating the "land" layer from the ocean layer, u practically use a "plain clouds" layer with the "hill" lightning effects (the 5 omni lights). This leaves me with a far more black/whiste contrasted "land" layer than in screenshot no. 22. I have very dark and very bright spots. So i think, there might something be missing?!

Ascension
09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, might be that your monitor is set up differently than mine but no matter there's an easy fix. Just grab the large airbrush tool, turn the opacity down to 5-10% and paint over the lightest/darkest areas with black/white on the layer before running the lighting effects.

verdilak
09-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I am having an issue at Step 21 and 22. I Have just my land mass with my ocean gone (transparent white and grey boxes). The land mass has the gradient and everything. But when I look at the picture in Step 22, my land mass doesnt show the mountains and hills or anything, it is just a flat image. I've tried changing the order of the layers, but no go. Where might I have gone wrong?

Oh, and I am using CS5 is that makes any difference.

Ascension
09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Gimme a full screenshot so that I can see your layer palette.

verdilak
09-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Here it is.

Now, I can bring my Mountains (which I have already done step 23 & 24 with) to the top and they will show through the base, but the rest of the layers completely overpower the base unless I lower the opacity. Could this just be that I am rushing the gun (in that I will be getting rid of the ocean in the hills and land layers in a later step)? I dunno, since it seems like in the Step 22 pic that you are showing the hills and land layers as well as the mountains layer through the base layer.

verdilak
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM
EDIT: Alright I seem to have found my problem. When you start to add colour, I first selected the base layer, so all further layer styles were applied to that layer, instead of to the land layer.

I figured my problem out and it was this issue as well.

verdilak
09-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I figured it out, thanks man!

Also, I tried to get your sat mountains tutorial to work but they didn't turn out very well, so I undid those changes to it.

Ascension
09-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Looks fine so far except for the river that goes to two oceans (just chop out the middle so that you get two rivers each going to a different ocean) and the lake that goes to two oceans (same thing). As to the mtns, the easiest thing to do is to just duplicate the mtns layer...it sort of beefs them up a bit.

Ancient
09-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Hmmm, might be that your monitor is set up differently than mine but no matter there's an easy fix. Just grab the large airbrush tool, turn the opacity down to 5-10% and paint over the lightest/darkest areas with black/white on the layer before running the lighting effects.

Mine is calibrated (Spyder 3, Adobe RGB) but that might be of course. The difference is enormous however, I will try. That you recommend i did on my first try (still with rugged coastlines), here it is:

It is and will remain unfinished, because of some issues I started over again. I think i'll need to some other "mountain" technique, they're not bad but don't make me too happy on the other hand. Of course, this is the best "regional map" i've created using photoshop.

BTW: What actually means "WIP"?