PDA

View Full Version : This is me! (Pictures Topic)

woekan
01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Who are you?

Hoel
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice armor!
<-I'm the guy to the left

Rahva
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Woekan, for a second I thought you were gonna say you were Spartacus. But yes that armour is pretty awesome.

On to me.
Awesome overexposed cellphone self-portrait is go. Yay. I hate pictures.
The sword on the left in the image is battle ready, the rest are fake. The wall continues out of view toward more weaponry (a sabre, two rapiers, a kukri and a dagger). This is really not an attempt to make you focus on the background, I swear...

Steel General
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
OK you asked for it...don't blame me if you lose your eyesight!

Me & the missus...

EDIT: This photo is about 5 years old, but other than more gray in the hair and we've not changed much.

Robbie
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Yarrr! Avast ye scalleywags!

jfrazierjr
01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Yarrr! Avast ye scalleywags!

Heh... ya look a lot less scary in this pic than in the other one I have seen of you....

woekan
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
More pictures! :)
Rhava your pic is not that bad.Cool sword.

Gamerprinter
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
The attached photo is 3 years old, from my trip to Kuau'i, Hawaii - I'm on driftwood on the beach near my hotel, and the Pacific is behind me.

I never get photos of myself, but this pic is pretty much how I still look, though, maybe a few more greys in my hair - average, skinny with slight bulge at center, short...

GP

Gandwarf
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Please, let's just remain anonymous. LOL :D

waldronate
01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
This picture is a few years old but I look pretty much the same except for new glasses.

Valarian
01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
The avatar image from my profile page is fairly accurate. I won't scare you with the real thing. I'm also in to old and obsolete martial arts such as archery and fencing. I own a cavalry sabre, several fencing blades, an African knife and a (small) Sikh Kirpan. Other weapons purchases are regularly vetoed ;).
http://www.cartographersguild.com/customprofilepics/profilepic764_1.gif

Ascension
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I couldn't seem to get a pic...I never seem to appear, just the background. So I was going to do a self portrait but it seems that my mirror is messed up too. So I drew from memory.

jfrazierjr
01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I couldn't seem to get a pic...I never seem to appear, just the background. So I was going to do a self portrait but it seems that my mirror is messed up too. So I drew from memory.

LOL... you know, it's an optical illusion, but if you look closely at the hand holding the head, it looks like the hand is actually another head (with the knuckles being a profile and the hair being the hair of a second head....

Redrobes
01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
This really ugly woman asked me if she could take my pic so I said sure. I mean she was as ugly as hell - I could have sworn here hair was matted snakes it was so bad...

Redrobes
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
This picture is a few years old but I look pretty much the same except for new glasses.
Ahh the Vulcan ears... now I understand...

Steel General
01-28-2009, 05:49 PM

That's a mighty big...axe you have there :D

Vandy
01-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi, All.

I thought I'd join in and post my picture.

DISCLAIMER
I am not responsible for any damage to your monitor(s) or eyes.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Gary

RobA
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
@Vandy/Gary - I was hoping to see the big white bear your avatar has!

-Rob A>

Gandwarf
01-29-2009, 02:19 PM
@Vandy/Gary - I was hoping to see the big white bear your avatar has!

-Rob A>

Bear? What bear?

Gamerprinter
01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I think RobA meant - big white, santa claus looking beard!

GP

Gandwarf
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I think RobA meant - big white, santa claus looking beard!

GP

You think so? ;)
I was kidding of course, but the typo was just too cool... had to reply.

Gamerprinter
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Initially when I say RobA's post - I thought, huh? What do you mean. Not until you posted "What Bear?" did I understand - then I posted my reponse. I was a bit dense on it at first...

GP

Vandy
01-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey, Rob.

When I was younger, I had a very full complete face beard. I wore it for years and still miss it. Because of a skin condition, my doctor suggested I not wear a beard. It was getting to the point that when I scratched my beard, people would start singing Jingle Bells!

Regards,

Gary

joćo paulo
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Please continue, it is very fun!

http://radioloandafm.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sacolas-plasticas.jpg

Turgenev
01-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Here is a pic of myself. It's from a summer or two ago. ;)

http://paratime.ca/images/misc/me_drmarten.jpg

jfrazierjr
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Please continue, it is very fun!

http://radioloandafm.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sacolas-plasticas.jpg

Was this from your Luchador days??:P

Rahva
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
joćo paulo, you should post a real pic. Every time I see one of your posts I think you look like your avatar. It's disturbing.

joćo paulo
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
sorry, I prefer to keep anonymous.http://files.sharenator.com/SamUgliestDogLulu-s810x630-2321-580.jpg

woekan
01-29-2009, 07:31 PM
sorry, I prefer to keep anonymous

I understand. This carthography buisness can really ruin your reputation.

Redstar
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM

hahaha. although certainly exciting, when was the last time you said "hey, want to check out my maps?" :lol:

Nomadic
01-29-2009, 11:31 PM
hahaha. although certainly exciting, when was the last time you said "hey, want to check out my maps?" :lol:

Just an hour earlier to one of my friends. They thought it was cool but said that maps just didn't excite them. I tell you, people these days...

Ascension
01-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah, really. I was at a pub the other day and I asked this lady if she wanted to my peninsula and she slapped me.

Gamerprinter
01-30-2009, 12:03 AM

I say that everyday! I run a small town graphic design/digital print studio, called 2me Studio, Inc. Invitations, copies, blueprints, architectural plots, logos, photo enlargements - that sort of thing. Its where I base my online business, Gamer Printshop.

Anyway, I need something to talk about when my customers drop in - so all my customers know about my map work. I show my finished prints, my WIPs, my hand-drawings.

Sure, most probably think I'm a bit nuts, but then they always thought so anyway. But you'd be surprised with the number of people who respond with, "I'm an artist and...", "My grandson plays RuneQuest...", "I use to play to play D&D...", "wow, that's really cool..." - so I'm not so phobic of my odd hobbies. Because I am making it an alternative income stream - which I tell them, they seem to appreciate it all that more.

I've actually picked up a couple local commissions by telling people, even via "word of mouth" from another customer who visited my shop, and I talked my talk...

GP

Nomadic
01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I say that everyday! I run a small town graphic design/digital print studio, called 2me Studio, Inc. Invitations, copies, blueprints, architectural plots, logos, photo enlargements - that sort of thing. Its where I base my online business, Gamer Printshop.

Anyway, I need something to talk about when my customers drop in - so all my customers know about my map work. I show my finished prints, my WIPs, my hand-drawings.

Sure, most probably think I'm a bit nuts, but then they always thought so anyway. But you'd be surprised with the number of people who respond with, "I'm an artist and...", "My grandson plays RuneQuest...", "I use to play to play D&D...", "wow, that's really cool..." - so I'm not so phobic of my odd hobbies. Because I am making it an alternative income stream - which I tell them, they seem to appreciate it all that more.

I've actually picked up a couple local commissions by telling people, even via "word of mouth" from another customer who visited my shop, and I talked my talk...

GP

This is why I wish I could move to where you live.

Gamerprinter
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I think its "me", not so much where I live. I can get along with most anyone, and can read if what I'm saying is glossing over their eyes. Most my customers lead normal lives and consider what I do, or how I do things as more colorful - and they seem to appreciate. I have a good "REP" in my community.

You don't want to live here. I'd rather live in the great northwest - got relatives in Portland and I use to live in Seattle - long, long ago. Fact is if I didn't have so many local family in Illinois, some who depend on me somewhat, I'd move to Hawaii right now. (But shipping maps worldwide from Hawaii wouldn't be too practical!)

GP

Nomadic
01-30-2009, 01:16 AM
I think its "me", not so much where I live. I can get along with most anyone, and can read if what I'm saying is glossing over their eyes. Most my customers lead normal lives and consider what I do, or how I do things as more colorful - and they seem to appreciate. I have a good "REP" in my community.

You don't want to live here. I'd rather live in the great northwest - got relatives in Portland and I use to live in Seattle - long, long ago. Fact is if I didn't have so many local family in Illinois, some who depend on me somewhat, I'd move to Hawaii right now. (But shipping maps worldwide from Hawaii wouldn't be too practical!)

GP

I meant more I want to work with you. :P

Dracontes
01-30-2009, 05:01 AM
This photo is about three years old. Except for the longer hair which I've let grow because I really couldn't bother with how unruly it was at this particular time, that's me, scraggly beard and all.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Dracontes/Photography/feeling_selfconscious_is_____by_dracontes.jpg

On the subject of anonymity, I've foregone it a long time ago as I saw little use in it.

Gandwarf
01-30-2009, 07:10 AM

Actually, I think maintaining some anonymity is good. I have been involved in many job interviews and nowadays everyone is Googled, looked up on Hyves, etc. The things you see posted online :shock:
And I can assure you many candidates didn't even get an invitation because of their profile on the web. Is that really fair or prudent? No. But it will happen.

Sure, who cares if your photo is posted on this forum? But if you use the same username for example you can be traced to other websites.

Not saying people should be worried about posting their photo here, as it will probably be quite harmless. But I do think some people tend to forget how easy it is to gather information about someone on the internet. And I have seen with my own eyes that this can have some surprising results.

I myself like to maintain a certain degree of anonymity, though I have nothing to hide really and it gets harder each year spent on the internet :)

Rahva
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't use Facebook/Hyves/etc, and I have about six screen names, because my first ones are taken 90% of the time. Rahva is one of the newer ones. On sites I don't want people to see me, I just use a silly name or a random string of letters and fill in bogus information.
For this site however, I don't really care. I make maps in my spare time, big whoop. If an employer won't have me because of that, I don't want to work there anyway. :P

Anyway, the fairly large and semi-wellknown place where I work recently had to screen some applicants. Monsterboard patched through some applications, two of which were extremely qualified for the job. My boss says to another division boss "Oh oh let's Google them :D" and they both had a good laugh about it. And then didn't do it.

I'm sure some companies do it, but it's probably not as bad as you think. If there's something embarrasing you don't want people to know, then keep it to yourself.

Redrobes
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Just to put some perspective on it from my point of view. My forum (which gets about 1 post every year...) has had 10 people this morning tried to hack it, 53 people in the last 4 days. Run a web site and look through the logs and see the enormous amount of trolling going on from spiders, search engines and so on. Put in a robots file banning them all and see how many of these spiders actually take any notice of it. Whats also really shocking is the quantity of gov sponsored and intelgnce hacking going on or from commercial sites tied to censorship and net suppression. I would guess that about 80% of all traffic to my site is from nefarious sources. Since about 100% of russian sourced hits were hacks I just banned the whole .ru domain and I know many people do the same. Theres no cure but its so bad and so much worse than you can possible believe without seeing it for yourself that I go anon now. In any case I am interested in the maps not so much the people behind them.

Gandwarf
01-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyway, the fairly large and semi-wellknown place where I work recently had to screen some applicants. Monsterboard patched through some applications, two of which were extremely qualified for the job. My boss says to another division boss "Oh oh let's Google them :D" and they both had a good laugh about it. And then didn't do it.

I'm sure some companies do it, but it's probably not as bad as you think. If there's something embarrasing you don't want people to know, then keep it to yourself.

I have worked for several large companies in the internet industry for over 8 years. And almost all applicants have been screened using the internet. That's what you get for trying to get a job at an internet company :D
I know I have been screened as well. In a semi-recent job interview the interviewer used information he could only have gathered online :)
It's almost impossible to keep your real name of the internet if you work in the internet industry, darn it...

Ah well, the internet is a hype anyway :D

woekan
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I understand an respect all of your oppinions.

I like this forum because of the maps, but after seeing someone post some interesting things i start to wonder who is behind that nickname. Maybe im a bit voyeur :)
I like the social aspect of this place as much as the creative.

And my reputation, ah well.. If i'm interesting enough to be googled, i'm happy :)

RobA
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Put in a robots file banning them all and see how many of these spiders actually take any notice of it.

Tell me about it :) I set up a "bad-bot" trap on my website.

I added an invisible link from my web site to a directory banned in a robot file. No person would ever follow it as they don't see the link, and browser pre-fetches respect robots files so I don't worry about "real people getting there"

I get 1-2 per week hitting it anyway. The only trick is that the .htaccess in that subdirectory tosses the source IP to the banned list of my firewall ;)

(I also get a "Bad Robot" email report delivered to me each time so I can keep an eye on it)

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
01-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I have to say, being that I have the same name (diff spelling) as a famous sports person, good luck to anyone searching my name on the internet... I googled myself years ago and after about 20 pages of wrong information, I gave up.

Turgenev
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I have to say, being that I have the same name (diff spelling) as a famous sports person, good luck to anyone searching my name on the internet... I googled myself years ago and after about 20 pages of wrong information, I gave up.

I have a similar situation with my name. I know there is a respected filmmaker who works for PBS doing documentaries who shares the same name with me. Then there is a ton of people on Facebook with the same name so someone googling my name might not actually get me. Then again, I do show up in the top five so they might find the real me but it would be a question of figuring out who's who. ;)

Gamerprinter
01-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm sure it could bite me in the behind - but sometimes I use my real name in a post, sometimes I post my phone number. I figure I'm in business so remaining in anonymity is not an asset for marketing purposes.

If you Google my name, though there are others with my name, I'm number one for it on Google. I have the most links.

Finally, since I started my own business (this is my second business) 20 years ago, I don't plan on becoming an employee, and never worry about interviews, where the potential employer has found an issue. I have clients, not employers.

GP

ravells
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah well, here I am!

Ascension
01-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Googled myself once, about 5 years ago...apparently I'm a Chicago urologist who moonlights as a rock guitarist in the southwest, while playing all sorts of high school sports, and whenever I'm in Ohio I'm a gay-pride activist. No wonder my fraternity brothers give me weird looks and insulting e-mail.

ravells
01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
On google, I'm a famous Sitar player who has a daughter called Nora Jones!

Nomadic
01-30-2009, 06:00 PM
If you google me all you will find is a bunch of stuff on aviation and social site members (none of them are me as I don't use social sites). You won't find me and even if you do you would probably find it difficult to connect me to my usernames. When I use my real name I keep it professional and separate from my online handles so there is very little connecting one to the other.

Greason Wolfe
01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Sadly enough, I lost most of my pictures when my motherboard crashed a few months back. I'll have to install and scavenge from the old hard drive one of these days. I have, however, been told that I resemble Dana Carvey, though I can't see it when I look in the mirror. And I did google myself one time. It came as no surprise that there were, at least at the time, no entries for me, but my last name is extremely unusual and only four hits came up for it, so go figure.

GW

Rahva
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
This is all slightly worrying in light of the potential employers googling you thing.
After all, they google you and your name comes up on Facebook with embarrassing pictures included of some guy with your name doing stupid things while drunk, "interests: white supremacy, cocaine, kittens, world domination, bonsai and vivisection".
So that job application is going through the shredder and you have no idea why.

ravells
01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
The attached photo is 3 years old, from my trip to Kuau'i, Hawaii - I'm on driftwood on the beach near my hotel, and the Pacific is behind me.

I never get photos of myself, but this pic is pretty much how I still look, though, maybe a few more greys in my hair - average, skinny with slight bulge at center, short...

GP

LOL! I always imagined you to look more Japanese!

Gandwarf
01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
This is all slightly worrying in light of the potential employers googling you thing.
After all, they google you and your name comes up on Facebook with embarrassing pictures included of some guy with your name doing stupid things while drunk, "interests: white supremacy, cocaine, kittens, world domination, bonsai and vivisection".
So that job application is going through the shredder and you have no idea why.

LOL. Now I know why some of those interviews didn't go so well for me...
There's an evil Gandwarf somewhere out there.

RPMiller
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Ah the joys of having one of the most common names in America. ;)

ukgpublishing
01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi All

Well this is me, last year in Greece. Not normally that red ;)

As for people googling me, good look as I share the name of a well known football (soccer for those in the US) in this country.

Laters all

John

Gamerprinter
01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
LOL! I always imagined you to look more Japanese!

No doubt, Ravs, I'm the least Japanese looking, Japanese American I know. Only if I tell people my middle name (Kenji) or that I'm Japanese, would they even guess. My sister doesn't even have the slight mongolian fold I have.

I sat in an AmVets (American Veterans Association) bar drinking a beer. There was an older gentleman, all loud next to me, talking about how he got shot down twice over the Battle of the Coral Sea in WW2 by Japanese Zeros. He was shot down, rescued. Then on another sortie was shot down again. He bought me a beer as he told his tale. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was Japanese. However, it turned out he was driving around in a Mitsubishi pickup truck (who built the Zeros duing the war), so I didn't feel so bad!

GP

joćo paulo
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
nice new avatar Gandwarf.

Chgowiz
01-31-2009, 01:29 PM
This is from a couple of weeks ago at a game session at the local FLGS. I'm the guy standing up in the middle with the "You want to do what?! Muahahaha!" look on my face.

Ascension
01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
ukg -- I hope your name isn't Wayne Rooney, that would be terrible.

ukgpublishing
01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
ukg -- I hope your name isn't Wayne Rooney, that would be terrible.

Lol, no where near that well known ;)

John

jfrazierjr
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
This is from a couple of weeks ago at a game session at the local FLGS. I'm the guy standing up in the middle with the "You want to do what?! Muahahaha!" look on my face.

LOL... somehow, you ended up looking just like your avatar....

Turgenev
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Good to see you, Chgowiz. That DM screen looks pretty cool. Is it homemade? Man, I remember when I used to make my own DM screens. That brings back memories.

Rovingjack
02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I was curious enough after all this talk to look up my real name on google, apparently I'm a founder or president of some mediacl foundation or other, That's the only one that came up.

I will say that if you type my user name into google almost everything that comes up on the first page of results is actually about me. The only other two that I recall are in referance to how I chose that name (for I am a roving sporting blade...). But yeah I'm rather proud that I'm doing so many things that I pull in a fair number of returns on a google search.

oh I forgot that I have a photo up online at my deviant art page which I started recently. Hmm I'm going to google my user name again and see if any images come up.

Chgowiz
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Good to see you, Chgowiz. That DM screen looks pretty cool. Is it homemade? Man, I remember when I used to make my own DM screens. That brings back memories.

Yes, it is, I wrote about it here: http://oldguyrpg.blogspot.com/2009/01/dm-screens-and-charts.html

I used 3 ring binders previously - I always felt constrained by the pre-printed charts. The customizable Savage Worlds screen inspired me to make my own.

Turgenev
02-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes, it is, I wrote about it here: http://oldguyrpg.blogspot.com/2009/01/dm-screens-and-charts.html
You know what's funny? I read that on your blog just after asking the question here. :P

I used 3 ring binders previously - I always felt constrained by the pre-printed charts. The customizable Savage Worlds screen inspired me to make my own.

Very cool! I've always preferred homemade DM/GM screens - same with character sheets as well.

ravells
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I have to post another 'this is me' picture...because this is me and our new daughter to be (name: Apsara, age 7 months) who we are adopting from an orphanage in India. Just got back tonight from India after meeting her for the first time...and I hope you will agree, she is a beauty. With luck and a fair wind, (and the Indian court system) we should have her home in June.

My mission is to turn her into a traveller player / mapper/ WW2 aircraft enthusiast / photographer before my wife gets any ideas :)

Steel General
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
She's adorable Ravs...good luck with everything.

Turgenev
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
She's adorable, Ravi. Before you know it, she'll be drawing maps all over the walls. ;)

ravells
02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I can't wait!

Ascension
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Very nice...don't let the missus corrupt her her with jewelry, make-up and all those other frilly doo-dads (make her a footballer). Was it intentional that your pose looks like the painting behind you? Pretty neat at any rate. Good luck my man.

Gamerprinter
02-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Congrats on fatherdom, Ravs! Good luck!

GP

CBDroege
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
The website I write for commissioned some stylized black & white portraits of all their writers a while back, and now I use mine frequently in place of an actual photograph :)

jaerdaph
02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I have to post another 'this is me' picture...because this is me and our new daughter to be (name: Apsara, age 7 months) who we are adopting from an orphanage in India. Just got back tonight from India after meeting her for the first time...and I hope you will agree, she is a beauty. With luck and a fair wind, (and the Indian court system) we should have her home in June.

My mission is to turn her into a traveller player / mapper/ WW2 aircraft enthusiast / photographer before my wife gets any ideas :)

Congratulations to you and the Mrs., ravells! She is a cutie!

ravells
02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks all, I really like that style of cartoon that CBDroege posted up. I might have a go of doing one of myself!

Ascension: I hadn't even noticed the picture in the background - pure coincidence. I have already told Felicity that our daughter is going to grow up to be a geek like her dad!

Ascension
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
The geek shall inherit the earth...I think that comes from scripture somewhere (either Gary's first letter to the Gygaxians or 1st Trekians).