PDA

View Full Version : Coastal City

woekan
01-29-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm trying to find a new project after the swamp town. So i started thinking about this fantasy coastal city.

This is the basic terrain with the basic layout of the city.

I'm using photoshop with textures from google earth. :)

Steel General
01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
This is a great start...another one to keep an eye (or two) on.

Hoel
01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
You found some great forest texture there.
Looks very nice.
I've walls are good too, nothing to bust you on.

NeonKnight
01-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I like everything except the city walls right up to the beach. Most cities at the time would not construct city walls right to the beach except in certain instances:

Solid ground, bedrock, cliffs, etc Ground too soft would cause the towers and walks to sink and buckle under their weight in the waterlogged earth.

Now, that could poss an interesting backdrop for the city, a decrepit places, the curtain walls sagging under their own weight, etc, etc...

woekan
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the tips. :)
I pulled the walls more on land.

I filled the first quarter with houses. (pfff lots of work)

I'm planning to add a few special buildings like a theater, a great library/wizards tower. I'll add a few parks.

And one quarter will be filled with upper class houses.

Steel General
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
You have some obvious tiling with the texture your using for your 'streets', its visible even in the quarter where you've done the housing. Might want to try and do something with that.

But otherwise coming along nicely.

Hoel
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree with SG. And there's an outline of some brush strokes around the road that loops outside the walls to the south.
It's a pretty map thou...

Ascension
01-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I must confess, regardless of what anything else looks like, I love that forest and haven't really looked at anything other than that.

Steel General
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I must confess, regardless of what anything else looks like, I love that forest and haven't really looked at anything other than that.

Treehugger!!! :D (j/k)

Ascension
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I measure tree circumferences...with my arms :)

woekan
01-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

I'll fix the tiling after i filled in the houses.

The tree texture was made from google earth.

I made a tileable pattern if you want to use it.

Ascension
01-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Eeeexcellent! Thanks, man.

Steel General
01-31-2009, 09:02 AM
The tree texture was made from google earth.

I made a tileable pattern if you want to use it.

Cool - another texture, always useful...thx

Hoel
01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks!
I was meaning to ask you for this

woekan
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
No problem :)

Here is an update.

I finished the city blocks. The lower west part and the dock's are filled with sub-urbs and warehouses. The center blocks are filled with shops and houses. In the north-west there will be a theater. The north-east is for the rich-folk, upperclass.

Next i will add some parks, special buildings, channels and a dock.

Hoel
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I like it, the tiling problem is gone, I think it looks stunning. The forest texture is one of the best I've seen

You should put some more houses outside the walls unless they have enforced some sort of ban on that.
It kinda gives a more natural look..

Gandwarf
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I like it, the tiling problem is gone, I think it looks stunning. The forest texture is one of the best I've seen

You should put some more houses outside the walls unless they have enforced some sort of ban on that.
It kinda gives a more natural look..

I fully agree with Hoel. You have some very nice textures in there. Good job so far.

The only critique I have is that the houses/street layout looks a bit unnatural to me. It doesn't feel like a breathing, living city. I can't really say what is bugging me about it. The houses looking a bit too orderly and buttony maybe?

Vandy
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello, woekan.

I really like your completed city map. I must agree with others on your textrures. They are very, very nice. As for your buildings, I guess I don't see the same thing that others do. Perhaps, I just don't have my "buildings eye" going on yet? ;)

Thank you for sharing this great map as well as sharing your development of it.

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Very nice Woekan!

The only thing that seems off to me is the transition between land and ocean/sea. Its almost like the land is floating in the sky. Maybe something to blend the transition a bit. *shrugs*

woekan
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Another update.

I added farms, docks, boats, ships, an arena, a lighthouse, rivers. I tried to fix that transition between land and sea. I added some more houses outside of the city.

It is almost done.

Any idea what i could add/tweak/fix?

Thanks for your replies :)

Steel General
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Maybe you could add a narrow strip of beach and/or rock that blends into the water - Not sure. No one else seems to think it's an issue so maybe it's just me. :)

Ascension
02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm still measuring the trees and don't know the first thing about CC3 so I don't really comment much on that stuff. But, yeah a beach would be nice and maybe some small river banks.

Korash
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
my suggestion would be to fix some of the river problems. The two lakes in the north are linked by rivers and both drain to the sea.

Nice map all the same

Midgardsormr
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
The docks and ships are enormous!

RobA
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
my suggestion would be to fix some of the river problems. The two lakes in the north are linked by rivers and both drain to the sea.

Nice map all the same

Looks like someone's trying for a river police deputy badge...

:);)

-Rob A>

Korash
02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Perish the thought. Really.

Too many run-ins with the meatheads in the army. me no want to be ossifer

woekan
02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I'm adding a beach.

@Ascension, who said anything about CC3? It's all photoshop :)

@Korash, I dont understand :) What do i do with my rivers?

@Midgardsormr, Thanks, ill fix them. The ships are suposed to be quite big :)

Update, i added the image :)

woekan
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
So, what do you guys think.. Is it finished?

Hoel
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow.
I love this map.
The water looks perfect, I love how you blended the streams into the map, they look very realistic.
The tiny boats are a very nice addition!

CBDroege
02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
It looks really great. The only issue I see, if I had to pick something is a verisimilitude question:

The first thing I think when I look at the map is: When people visit the islands out in the bay, do they just beach their boats?

Gandwarf
02-04-2009, 12:22 PM
So, what do you guys think.. Is it finished?

Yeah, I think it is. It looks great.
My only comment is about the houses and that still stands. Maybe it's just me however.

Ascension
02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
The only thing I would change or tweak is that the houses all seem to have the same roof color. Yes, there are some other colors, I can see them, but I think there needs to be more variation. Not that each house has a different color but more of a district thing...one district generally has "x" type of roof and another district has "y" type of roof, etc. Special buildings have various roof styles/colors and the nobles district and merchant district can be all haphazard as to show off their unique distinctness to the world. I know that that can be a lot of work (god how I know) so if you opted to leave it is as then I would certainly understand. I think it's a great map, especially the lil houses here n there and of course the trees :)

woekan
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks again for your tips. It really helps me to get other perspective.

I added a nice border, some small boat docks, different roofs.

I declare my map finished.

Ascension
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
That's some butt-kickin sweetness. Excellent job.

Asharad
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Super awesome!

BTW, I really like those forests.

Gandwarf
02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Great finishing touches!

Hoel
02-05-2009, 07:38 AM
It's better and better all the time. A real masterpiece!

Steel General
02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Those borders are a really nice touch - great job! I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

landorl
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I love it!

Turgenev
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
That is looking very nice! I would rep you but I need to spread it around a bit more before I can do so again. Adds woekan to my 'must rep again when I can' list. ;)

Edited to Add: Thanks for the forest texture! Very cool!

ravells
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
What an absolute beauty. Gorgeous map, Woekan!

woekan
02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the compliments! :) My face is red

Korash
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
@Korash, I dont understand :) What do i do with my rivers?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this...

What I was saying about the rivers and lakes is that the river coming into the map from the north west splits almost 90 degrees and both branches head to a lake. Both lakes then drain into the water. Just looks so wrong to me. The river from the west has a weird curve to it as well. I would have joined it to the river before the north/south road, because it looks to be going through high ground to double back a bit. Or maybe have it join the sea by itself instead.

Like I said before, this is a very nice looking map, and these are my only critiques on it.

Repped (if I can)

:edit: need to spread more love :/edit:

Gandwarf
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the compliments! :) My face is red

http://www.euroherbsshop.nl/images/BurnCreme-copy.jpg

ravells
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
LOLOL! I feel a theme developing here!

Steel General
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
@Gandwarf - Someone in your family sell skin care products? :)

Towser
02-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Awesome Map!

StillCypher
03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow... You started out with a nice map, Woekan, but WOW (did I say that already?) did you improve a lot and fast! I'm standing over there in the texture-lovin' line. The trees and the water are beautiful, and the wakes behind the boats are styyyylin'! I like the buildings, the fields, the trees, the water, the borders -- the roads seem to be a little on the wide side in relation to the houses (unless there's a turn lane, maybe? :D ) and especially the further away one gets from the city, and the rivers -- yeah -- they have some reality issues. Redrobes has a most excellent tutorial on the subject here: How to get your rivers in the right place (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822). Maybe that will help!?

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work. Verra nice stuff!