PDA

View Full Version : The Lord's Keep

JFJohnny5
01-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Inspired by NeonKnight's Thunderspire Labyrinth maps, I decided to try my hand at a DD3 map using Symbol Set 2. Bitmap Style B seems to have been inspired by the current style of 4th ed D&D maps, which I happen to like. This map was really just a little way to test some techniques and ideas in order to emulate that look. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Gandwarf
01-31-2009, 05:33 AM
Looking good. Unfortunately I can't rep you yet, have to spread it around some more.
The only thing I might change is the background texture (outside the keep). It kinda draws the eye right now I think. Did you try a more solid fill?

Steel General
01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Coming along nicely. I agree with Gandwarf about the texture of the ground outside, maybe use some other texture/color to break it up some.

Hoel
01-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Nice work.
The floor texture works great.

torstan
01-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Looks really nice. I'd suggest a few alterations. The line between the stone walls and the surrounding stone texture is very sharp which looks a little strange. It might be worth softening this a little. Also, the large glow behind the name is a bit diffuse. I'd suggest either keeping it to quite a tight drop shadow that follows the letters, or make it a proper rectangular background for the title. Right now it is half way between the two.

JFJohnny5
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Thank you as always for the constructive comments. Here's my updated effort. I changed out the background for something less busy and adjusted the way I made the outer walls so that I could both outline and soften the edges a bit. I toned down the soft white area behind the text so it's just enough to make it readable without being distracting. I'm also including a snippet of one of the maps in the new 4e D&D style that I'm trying to emulate, for reference.

I guess this mean's this should have been a WIP instead of "completed" but it was really just a test for me. So I don't think I'll make any more changes to this one.

Gandwarf
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Looking very good now!
Man, I wish I would have had access to DD3 when I was still playing D&D :D
My handdrawn dungeon maps sucked!

torstan
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
That's really nice - and compares really well to the official map.

bonzer
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Johnny5

Nice maps. How do you manage to get the grid to show only in the rooms and not on the "outside" area. I would like to be able to do this when making floorplans from DD3.

Bonzer

Towser
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I think I like yours a lot better. It seems to be crisper. Did you also draw those icons? I like the icons, especially the fountain.

Hoel
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
bonzer: I think he moved the grid sheat under the background, but I could be wrong
Nice work.

Ascension
01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
This is nice, I wouldn't change a thing.

JFJohnny5
02-01-2009, 01:52 AM
@bonzer - I created a new sheet I called "WALL BACKGROUND" which I place above the grid. So the GRID sheet is sandwiched between FLOOR and WALL BACKGROUND.

@Towser - Mine is probably crisper because the other image is a blown up section of a PDF. I lost quality by doing that, but thanks just the same! And the icons are from DD3: Symbol Set 2, Bitmap B style. Except the "stairs" which I made in Photoshop and imported.

bonzer
02-01-2009, 05:15 AM
@bonzer - I created a new sheet I called "WALL BACKGROUND" which I place above the grid. So the GRID sheet is sandwiched between FLOOR and WALL BACKGROUND.

Thanks Johnny5 - seems logical, I'll give it a try soon. If I leave it as white, hopefully it'll save on ink as well!