PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: The Empire

Hoel
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm throwing down the gauntlet with this map of the Empire of Moenia and it's surroundings.
This is a very early stage WIP, I layed over some colors, textures and effects to make it look like it's more than just a coastline with some rivers.
## Latest WIP ##

joćo paulo
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Good start Hoel.I will be watching the progress of this.
Good luck!

Steel General
02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Neat land shape...

Bohunk
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Nice start!

Hoel
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok. First round of terrain height and color.
Will work on water and borders next.
### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Is your terrain bump all on one layer? If not I might suggest making the hills a lil flatter or the mountains a bit taller. Minor, yes, until I see some more I just wanted to let ya know. Otherwise, so far so good.

Hoel
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Terrain bump is one layer, but i can easily go in and redo the heightmap to soften it.
I've done that once already, but I'll probably do it again, I see what you mean

Hoel
02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I've painted all day. I wanted the textures to blend better and look a bit more realistic.
I tried somthing new with the water, can you spot it and what do you think?
### Latest WIP ###

CBDroege
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
The bigger differentiation between the hills and the mountains makes a huge difference, and the sandy shallows in the water add some more realism. I think it'd be neet to see a more defined tree-line, but that's my subjectivity. :)

Hoel
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
On this scale, i don't know if there should be a defined tree line.
I should really remember to put a scale on my maps...

Steel General
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I've painted all day. I wanted the textures to blend better and look a bit more realistic.
I tried somthing new with the water, can you spot it and what do you think?

It looks like you have some subtle bump-mapping or something.

Ascension
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
The phorce continues to be strong with the metallic one as that's what I was gonna say. I'm partial to the strong shelf myself but this looks good too.

Hoel
02-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I tried beveling it first, but it didn't come out right. Probably my bevel filter that sucks for that kinda work. Made a soft heightmap instead. I think it looks kinda nice.
Gotta start thinking borders now..

Hoel
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Here's my latest WIP, haven't found much time to do much work, but I'll try to be better next week.
Major and most of the minor borders are done, now it's just making all those crests and shields and whatnots...
The map is 3000x3000 original, so some of the detail is lost and the borders look a bit thin on this scale. The black stuff in the bay is just a reminder to myself that will be removed.
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Coming along nicely...

Ascension
02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I think this is lookin great. I really need to work on making my rivers more like this.

Hoel
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks. I guess that's quite a compliment coming from the River Police :)

Korash
02-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Ok. I'll bite...
what is the text in the middle of the northern lake? :)

:edit: I should have read before asking. I just noticed that the "lake" was an iced in bay. :endedit:

Looking good Hoel.

Got a question for you though.....Where are the siege guns located? :D

Hoel
02-11-2009, 06:43 AM
The text is:
Country 5px, 300%spc
Region 4px, 250%spc

No guns this time, sorry Korash

Hoel
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Put in all the capitals and provincial capitals and as you can see I've started producing the flags. I made the WIP a full res cut-out this time so you can see them in all their glory.
The different contries/regions will have different style flags, and there's about 50 or so to do.
I'm also thinking about labels and such, should I use different label styles for each region or all the same?
Should I put in roads and other features?
Hey, I put in a gun for you Korash. The flag of Altemus Inferius has a cannon on it since one of its main features is a huge fortress protecting Moenia from the barbarians in the north.
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Nice flags Hoel - this is coming out really nice.

Ascension
02-11-2009, 06:08 PM
What Steel said.

Hoel
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Ok. I'm working away. The northern barbs has got their flag style. I'm going to change the moose tip of the flagpole to denote a subtle shift in influence, from Moenian influence to Dwarven influence and onwards towards the south.
I'm having a lot of fun drawing the flags, creating different looks depending on the culture of the province/land/region.
Still haven't decided on any labels thou, any suggestions?
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I think I'd put some kind of key somewhere (maybe at the bottom) that shows the country associated with each flag. If you put the labels by the flags themselves I think it would get to cluttered.

NeonKnight
02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice map.

Looks like Hudson Bay really filled up there, and Labrador Collided with the Mainland ;)

Hoel
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
SG: It would be a pretty big key with 50 or so flags, but I think it's the best way...

NK:I noticed the resemblance to north america too, but I promise you, it's pure coincidence!
The scale is about the same thou...

Hoel
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Ok, new WIP. I got some time over from RPGing and got some work done.
I really hope I can finish this, it's a whole lot left to go..
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I really hope I can finish this, it's a whole lot left to go..

I know what you mean my friend...

Ascension
02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Still lookin good, your Roman Legion-style banners blow away mine that's for sure. Your banners and GPs map have resulted in me just lacking desire to finish mine, I haven't touched it in almost a week.

Hoel
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
SG: I think I'm gettin there, most of the bulk work is done, now it's mostly a dozen tribal banners and two arabian style banners left.

Acension: I'll redo the banners now that I've found a better way to do them.

I've had some great fun today making greek shields. Funny, the hardest thing to find was a good reference picture of a greek bireme or trireme so I made som other generic stuff...
I did find some nice patterns on some site selling plates and saucers, the one with the sphinx has a plate border pattern along the edge :)
### Latest WIP ###

ravells
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Please finish it, Hoel, it's a real beauty in the making.

Man this month is going to be tough to decide on.

Ascension
02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Never thought about plates...awesome idea. My sis drug me to the mall for Christmas so that I could carry her new plates around (2 boxes, each 45 pounds, no idea on how many kilos that is) but anyway, there were more cool plates than I could shake a stick at. I got mine at Wal-Mart, an Aztec looking thing that I always thought was cool cuz it was black and blue with some gold.

Hoel
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Ravells: I probably will finish it in time. 4 days to go... I'll se if I get the legend done thou, if I don't I'll finish it and post it later.

Ascension: That one was cool. I was lucky and found pictures with consistent flat lighting, that helped a bunch when I did the shields

Steel General
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Entries are due by the 24th Hoel... you have 8 days :D

gorkamorka
02-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Looking good. I“d hand over some rep, but I've been giving you to much of that lately to be allowed to do it again.

Midgardsormr
02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Funny, the hardest thing to find was a good reference picture of a greek bireme or trireme so I made som other generic stuff...

I had the same problem a while back. I eventually went with a cog since I couldn't find any decent galley images, and I advanced the date of the map to the point where that would be appropriate. Rather frustrating, really.

I really like your emblems, but they rather overshadow the beautiful map. I find myself torn: I don't want them to go away, but I really want to be able to see more of the map itself.

joćo paulo
02-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Beautiful banners Hoel, it was a cool visual.

Ps.I think I saw the crest of the PowerRangers on your map xD

Hoel
02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
The banners are quite big, but since they were the main object of the challenge, I thought the map could take a back seat for this one.

Where's the powerrangers?
Do you mean the lightning bolt and lauerels on the top of the Moenia poles? They are for Heironeous of the D&D pantheon

joćo paulo
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
dude, oops,i meant dude Yes:P this is what I meant.

Hoel
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Ok. Almost there. A halv dozen banners left. Some nomadic tribes to the west and some natives of the northern tundra.
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
The "flags" are really nice Hoel, I especially like the totem pole ones.

Hoel
02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
So here's the first final. I want to make some more stuff, but I don't know if I can make it to deadline.
The ledgend is i a bit of a rush job to finish on time. It should have some more decoraitons and stuff.
I didn't count how many banners I did, but there's a lot of them...
### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Very nice Hoel, I think I like the 'cave painting' banners even more than the totem pole ones.

Considering the # of entries in your legend I think fancying it up would draw away from the important information.

ravells
02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I love the Hoplite ones! Great banners!

Hoel
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I thought I would have a problem making so many banners, but with some reference material (now my search history has an entry for mongolian battle standard) and a template and action script for each set, it was easy.
I used to do icons and winamp skins back in the day, I think that gave me som experience with making tiny and semi-realistic looking objects.

On with the voting now..!

Ascension
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Yep, the cave paintings totally rock...literally.