PDA

View Full Version : My (Unnamed) World

Shadavar
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Here's my campaign settings' world map (atlas).

I still have a lot to do regarding the look and feel of the map, but been following along on some of the tutorials found here and this is what I've come up with :D

Let me know what you think and ideas crits very welcome :D

Steel General
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Great start - looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

Ascension
02-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Pretty cool. How did you manage that pinch at the bottom? I've never been able to get anything decent for putting onto globes.

Shadavar
02-05-2009, 04:48 AM
@ Ascension: I already had the shape of all the continents in place before starting with your tutorials, which I used to add flavour and randomness. So the pinch at the bottom is pure coincidence ... lol. Thanks for the great tuts, by the way :D

Ascension
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
No prob, man...anytime.

Shadavar
02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Here's the final projection for my campaign map. Colours will change as I get to place different weather patters, etc. Still need to add rivers, but you guys get the general idea.

The map was generated in Fractal Terrains, exported into Wilbur and edited in Photoshop.

Ascension
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I can't believe that I'm gonna say this but, the land looks a bit dark (I know, heresy from me). Maybe I've been converted to the lighter side :) The fix I came up with for this is to copy the landmass shape layer (if you used my tut it's called the "base" layer) and set the blending mode to soft light, then lower the opacity to suit.

Steel General
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I can't believe that I'm gonna say this but, the land looks a bit dark (I know, heresy from me).

"String up the blasphemer! He has declared a falsehood against the book of Ascension-tography! Burn him, burn the un-beleiver!"

...Sorry couldn't resist. :D

Hoel
02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Hahaha. Ascension declaring a map too dark must be a heavy blow.
..but I agree. You should light it up a bit.

Shadavar
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I've been playing around with the colours a bit, but nothing's come of it yet. But here is the beginning stages of a Tolkienesque version for you to have a gander at ... :D

Shadavar
09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Well it's been a while since I've done any work on my atlas, but I've restarted it again and want to share it with you all for crits and inspiration.

The map was generated with Fractal Terrains and then exported into Wilbur for some minor editing, erosion, etc. Then exported into 5 separate files each for the Alpha, Rivers, Slopes, Surface (Bump/Height) and Texture.

Using Photoshop I've assembled Slopes and Alpha channel so that I have a base to start hand (read as mouse, because I don't have a tablet) draw the mountains using Pasis' tutorial as a starting point.

The original file res is 5000x2500, which I'll be cutting for an easier load on my not so powerful CPU :D

Let me know what you think ... :D

Steel General
09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
The land formations are interesting, just wish it were larger/higher rez so we could see more detail.

Shadavar
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Here's a full resolution version with me combining the black and white Slopes and Relief maps together with a Gradient Map to add some colour.