PDA

View Full Version : [unpaid] Top of an earthmote map

Terrainosaur
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi. I'm a D&D dungeon master and would like to ask if this community can make one overland map for me.

The new Forgotten Realms has earthmotes, basically freestanding islands of terrain. You might have seen similar things on the cover of Yes albums, or in the World of Warcraft zone Nagrand. I would like to see the top of a large earthmote for an adventure site.

The earthmote is 2 miles in diameter at the top. I imagine it has open grasslands, rifts, a keep, a few hills, a mountain, a couple houses, etc. The only thing it must have is a river that spills over the side of the earthmote. Basically a 2-mile section of fantasy landscape, with sky around it.

Can someone help me with this please?

Commission: Unpaid
Time constraints: Two months
Style: Overland, non-isometric, colorful Dundjinni style
Quality & size: Semi-professional, only used for web & home use, dimensions less than 8 x 11 when printed
Copyright: Artist retains copyright

Hoel
02-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I've got one such thing already on line, should fit the bill with a little tweaking
Right now it's just water underneath and it's supposed to be a flying island.
I'll se what I can do with it.

Steel General
02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I did this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3474) a while ago, it could easily be modified for what you're asking for.

Terrainosaur
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Steel General, that's very close to what I was looking for. The sky and ground below is awesome. The layout of the land is great. Based on your description, it's practically the same idea, except yours is a floating castle.

If you were willing to modify it, the castle would have to be removed -- otherwise that would be the world's biggest castle (since the earthmote is 2 miles in diameter). :) Then just add smaller-scale terrain and it would be an overland map.

That's a really nice map.

Steel General
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Steel General, that's very close to what I was looking for. The sky and ground below is awesome. The layout of the land is great. Based on your description, it's practically the same idea, except yours is a floating castle.

If you were willing to modify it, the castle would have to be removed -- otherwise that would be the world's biggest castle (since the earthmote is 2 miles in diameter). :) Then just add smaller-scale terrain and it would be an overland map.

That's a really nice map.

Thanks... well I'll see what I can do - no promises though.

Edit: Had a little time today...removed the tower and the labels. Added a small river with falls, a small group of houses, some trees, and a trail leading up to a 'keep'. Not sure how well it will fix on a 8x11" piece of paper though.

Terrainosaur
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
This is super! :o I'm surprised and excited! Look, it's easy to sit back and criticize stuff and maybe we spend too much time finding fault, but this is really fantastic. It's more than I expected was possible.

Thanks so much.

Steel General
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
This is super! :o I'm surprised and excited! Look, it's easy to sit back and criticize stuff and maybe we spend too much time finding fault, but this is really fantastic. It's more than I expected was possible.

Thanks so much.

Your welcome, let me know if you'd like anything else added to it and I'll try and squeeze it in.

Terrainosaur
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I had some ideas:
- Smaller earthmotes floating above the mass
- A bowl-shaped earthmote above the mass with a portal to the plane of water, which pours down onto the land, and merges with the river
- Portals to the plane of fire, producing lava pools and fire plumes
- A forest of unusual color like purple

Background: This new fantastic terrain appeared recently in the Forgotten Realms due to something called the Spellplague. Basically two planes bumped into each other, and parts transposed between them. An earthmote is an example. The uncontrolled "wild magic" is gone but it left this extraordinary, exotic terrain features. Earthmotes can be forestmotes, fungusmotes, prairiemotes, watermotes, cavemotes, etc.

Terrainosaur
02-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh and a rift. A canyon or something with sheer sides. Basically the surface is very flat right now. I don't want the PCs just walking up to the keep. I need to divert them around with proper obstacles. :)

Steel General
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Not sure I'll have time to add all of those but I'll try and get to some of them.

- Forest - I can just change the existing one.
- Rift - You want it to be an obstacle on getting to the keep? How wide?
- Portals to Elemental Planes - Have to give it some thought.
- Don't think I'll have time to add additional motes, that's the most time consuming part

Ascension
02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Cool trees steelman.

Terrainosaur
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Rift: Maybe half the length of the river, and as wide as the town? I guess it would make most sense for it to be a canyon formed by the river.

Smaller earthmotes: They would be a couple hundred feet in diameter on top. Create a small section of terrain, put a border and a shadow behind it, and lay it over the existing map.

Steel General
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Cool trees steelman.

Dundjinni is my friend :D

Ascension
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
I would have never guessed these were DJ.

Steel General
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I would have never guessed these were DJ.

Can't remember the alias of the person who did them, but there's a whole set of these. They even did some in autumnal colors.

That's only part of the actual image, I cropped quite a bit out because it was to big.

Steel General
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
OK, had a few minutes to tinker with this today... Re-colored the trees purple (per request) and added the requested rift/canyon.

Not sure how much more I'll be able to do with this, but don't give up on more changes yet, I'd still like to at least add the gates to the elemental planes.

Terrainosaur
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you.

Wild and weird. They won't appear on the surface, and they're too low level to fly. They'll be coming up through a dungeon in the body of the earthmote. (How they get there is up in the air. Ha! Punny!) Once they get out, I want them to stand there agape.

Steel General
02-11-2009, 08:09 AM
OK, this is most likely the last update I'm going to be able to make to this.

I have added a gate to the elemental plane of fire, and the river's source is now a giant, glowing frog statue connected to the elemental plane of water (the water shoots out of the frog's mouth).

Terrainosaur
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Thank you!

I'm going to take it and make some changes of my own. I'll post the result.

Steel General
02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Your welcome...just wish I had more time to add the other things you requested.

Terrainosaur
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Here's the final version! Changes I made:

Rotated 90 degrees
Added buildings and a bridge to the village
Added ruins on the south side of the rift
Moved the roads
Added a cave up north with roads coming from it
Added lava pools

I did a little touch-up here and there. Also, I didn't realize there are purple trees here on Earth. Trees with flowers that bloom purple. So my purple forest is pretty natural.

Adding image below!

Terrainosaur
02-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Lord amighty, how do I make that a thumbnail?

ravells
02-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Read RobA's guide to making thumbnails here. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3174)

Terrainosaur
02-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Here's the map.