PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: Generic warring clans thingy

Ascension
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Here's what I've got so far, pretty much what I always do to this point...terrain, color, cities, etc. Gonna work on the shields next which might require a key. What I'd like to do most is put the socio part into this socio-political map but haven't decided on how I want to do that just yet...religion, class, race, or something else.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
As always, nice start, Ascension!

GP

Ascension
02-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Found another use for my base style...Civil War/early Industrial Age style. It's not exactly a perfect match but it's not too shabby for adding just one layer. Need to add in some old paper color on top.

Gandwarf
02-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Look pretty sweet so far Ascension.

Steel General
02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Looking good my friend.

Kind of surprised you didn't use your 'Antique-style' map for this, I think it lends itself perfectly to this challenge.

joćo paulo
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Finally I see some boundaries.

ravells
02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Looking superb, Ascension!!

Shadavar
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Dude, you have got to let us know how you got the detail so sharp and BIG. Awestruck, I am :D

torstan
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Go on, I'll bite. What was the one layer you added to get this effect? Looks great so far.

Ascension
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Shad - clouds, difference clouds, hit ctrl-f 19 times to keep doing the diff clouds, delete the blacks and grays, delete everything in the ocean, erase everything around the rivers, chisel soft outer bevel (overlay highlight and multiply shadow), fill to zero = medium sized hills all over the place. I then added 2 more layers of hills with smaller bevels.

Tor - I had done color overlays for my clans (set to hue so as to preserve the bump) then I made a parchment color layer then texturized it (canvas) cuz I wanted to see what an antique map would look like as Steel said, but when I went to change the blending mode I accidentally hit hard mix instead of soft light and voila, little horizontal lines all over that follow the darker colors of the bump. So it's a total Bob Ross happy accident :) I put a lil woodcut effect in but I don't like it so that's going bye bye to be redone. I'd like to try this on a pic of a president cuz our money has this sort of look to it, although it's more of a crosshatch method that they use it still might be cool.

Ascension
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Here's a quickie go (5 minutes) at turning my head into money...not that great so I gotta find a bigger pic but it's a start that someone could probably refine.

Sigurd
02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Seems too bleak to support different clans.

Sigurd

Ascension
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Continuing the morphing process, I think I'd like to add railroads instead of roads. Tried to make a brush in Illustrator to stroke some paths (cuz PS won't do it correctly) but that nightmare of a program is beyond my pea brain to figure out so I'll probably have to just do roads. At any rate here's the

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Didn't someone recent post something on how they make their own brushes? Can't remember who, but I'm pretty sure they did it in PS or GIMP.

Damn old age and its affect on my memory... :)

woekan
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I like this. The first WIP could be used for any computer game.

The last WIP is a great combination styles

bryguy
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
lol ascension, I looked at this map and my first thought was "Good job ascension, you just created a Conquer Club map :) "

lol seriously this could be turned into one. You already have the borders, the shields could be where the armies are placed, and you have the graphix. All you need is decent gameplay (and more territories) and you could have a great conquer club map :)

this is a great map :)

Ascension
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Woe - thanks man.
Bry - thanks for the idea, maybe I could find me some silhouettes of lil army dudes or something (I think I have a font for that).

I'd like to make my own sombrero-wearing gun-toting revolutionaries with bandoleros and some Mexican army type guys that wore that Napoleonic style uniform (like in the Zorro movies). I guess I'll have to change the font too since Lewisham isn't really appropo for that setting.

Bohunk
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Very cool map. Personally I think Clan 16 has no chance.

Steel General
02-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Very cool map. Personally I think Clan 16 has no chance.

I agree unless they have some super-duper-uber army! :D

Ascension
02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Some minor updates that took a long time to do. After a night of looking for images to reference for uniforms I gave up and just went with a font called Times Warrior to denote some military. Since I can't use a vector program to save my life I made up some railroads as best I could with PS (4 brushes for the rails and 4 for the ties...n/s, e/w, nw/se, and ne/sw).

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
02-08-2009, 02:20 AM
All I can say is that I love everything about this map.

Ascension
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Lots of tweaking, mostly heading towards the antique look. I think I'm about ready to put on the finish graphics.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Looking very "antique-y" (and very cool)... I have a feeling this going to be the most difficult vote yet.

Gamerprinter
02-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I like this version, better than the last - looks more crisp and antiquated, I like!

Looking forward to your final graphics! :)

GP

Ascension
02-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Just got a bunch of labeling to do now and plop down copies of each flag on its country.

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
02-14-2009, 12:16 PM
this looks awesome, great job ascension :)

Otookee
02-15-2009, 10:28 AM
:?: Hmm... Well, I'm new to this, so obviously I'm missing some important detail somewhere. Other people seem to be able to get lightning-bolt like shapes with Difference Clouds, I never do - I get lotsa little splotches. Even after hitting it 19 times.

"delete the blacks and greys" - not sure what you mean there. Tried doing Selection->Color Range->Shadows, then Edit-Clear. Also tried using Magic Wand to select the darkest colors. Either way, I end up with a lot of little scattered pale islands, often with "reefs" around them where some level of grey didn't quite match the selection. Which would be OK if I wanted an archipelago, but not so good for mountain ranges.

Chisel Soft Outer Bevel - OK, my islands are now on top of cones... "fill to zero" - where is this? no "fill" slider or checkbox in Bevel/Emboss... do you mean perhaps under Blending Options, setting Fill Opacity to zero??

Ascension
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
There's a lot to my style so quite a bit missed leading up to this point. Read through my atlas style tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4084 then come back to the first post in this thread. Select > Color range = black with a fuzziness of 200 (selects the black and the darker colors but leaves the lighter colors), never knew there was a select > color range = shadows :) Fill is the layer's fill, right under the layer's opacity on the layers palette. As for the clouds, post up a screen shot so I can see.

Ascension
02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Here's the newest update, probably the last as well. Don't really feel like doing all of the naming and labeling -- I despise it. The other entries are far superior and I hate wasting energy on labeling when I could be working on a tut or a new experiment (gonna add some craters to my moon). I experimented and came up with some new techniques and that's all I ever really want...add to my style arsenal so to speak. So all I really did was to put in some flags and shadows then label the capitals and countries...woo. If I get hypnotized by evil dogs I'll think about finishing the labels cuz I don't want to leave things undone...I leave just about everything incomplete. C'est la vie. Anyway, here's the

###Latest WIP ###

Otookee
02-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Ah, I'd missed that one somehow.
Following along through the tutorial, Much Becomes Clear.

Thank you for your patience with a newbie.

Ascension
02-24-2009, 01:36 AM
No prob man, it's all good. I get lost in tuts all the time :)