PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: evolution map

Rovingjack
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
This ones a little odd, but how about a map that shows the evolution of life (showing how elves or dwarves evolved from cats or armadillos or something. or the eco system of a planet showing the interrelations of the species.

bartmoss
02-06-2009, 01:39 AM
That is an interesting thing to work on for world-building and geek that I am I have to admit I've done that before; however, that's really a flowchart and not a map.

bryguy
02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I am most decidedly against this idea.

Gamerprinter
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Rather negative, aren't we, Bryguy?

Rovingjack, both your suggested map ideas so far aren't really maps, but more charts. Not that there's anything wrong with charts, but we're really mappers here, so that's what we prefer in a "mapping challenge".

If we ever have a "chart challenge" maybe your suggestions would be more ideal. Actually, in the past it was suggested to try illustrations - but that fell through, primarily because an illustration is not a map. The community felt non-maps are outside the category of our interest.

I'd say, steer your suggestions towards maps, please.

We have done a compass rose challenge - I think that was August 2007. Our August 2008, had a requirement of map objecs in addition to the dungeon map. So we do some things outside maps, but still very closely related to maps. You ought to stay within that for future suggestions.

GP

Steel General
02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I think just a few "No's" would have been enough.

Nomadic
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes. How a species spread out from its beginnings to where it is now.

ravells
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Now that's begining to sound more 'mappy'.

Talroth
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes. How a species spread out from its beginnings to where it is now.

You don't have any bias in favor of a map dealing with movement of people/cultures do you Nomadic?

Could make for an interesting challenge.

Ascension
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Nomadic's tweak sounds like a decent idea, dealing more with color shapes (sort of like this current challenge with an emphasis on borders) but incorporating patterns as well (like varying orange things for "x" race over time and varying blue things for "y" race).

tff
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
OT-ish ...

> Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes ...
> Now that's begining to sound more 'mappy'.

Are we all beginning to go a little pro-geo high-falutin' mapsnob here? :P

Is land/terrain a requirement for a map?

I have never thought so ... I extend the word "map" to many forms of information visualization.

But then, pizza counts as a sandwich, in my world.

Hey, I have an evolution map! I did it with colored pencils when I was like 13. I wonder if I still have it somewhere. By God, I'mma seek it in my shelves.

joo paulo
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Biological mapping??? It's cool!
I say yes!