PDA

View Full Version : The City of Forlaen

Nomadic
02-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I finally gave realistic city mapping a proper try. Took quite awhile longer than what I have done in the past but it was alot of fun to do in the process and I ended up discovering several useful techniques for making a city. RP city generator was a life saver though. I don't know how much longer it would have taken me without that wonderful tool (thanks again to jaerdaph for finding that for me).

CBDroege
02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Looks good.

Did you go in and texture everything by hand or did you develop an automated process to perform some of the texturing from the original output?

Nomadic
02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks good.

Did you go in and texture everything by hand or did you develop an automated process to perform some of the texturing from the original output?

Texturing is done by "hand". I used a pattern overlay of a thatch texture for the houses. The walls are a texturizer filter set on sandstone. The other stuff (trees, roads, river, farmland, etc) is a mix of brushing and filter tweaking.

Nomadic
02-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Here's an updated version, I fixed a few minor things and I think it's looking a bit better.

### Latest WIP ###

Torq
02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
That looks very cool Nomadic. I also use the software to make a start on my city maps, but then the real work begins. City maps are the most difficult to do in my opinion and are definately the most time consuming. Yours looks great. Repped.

Torq

Steel General
02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Very nice Oh Wandering One... I agree with Torq on city maps being the most difficult.

Nomadic
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I would also have to agree with you two. This map took me about 4 hours. Even a continent map of similar quality with labels doesn't take me that long.

ravells
02-08-2009, 03:38 AM
The more man made something becomes, the more difficult and time consuming it becomes to draw! I find city maps the hardest and most time consuming too.

JFJohnny5
02-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Very nice map! What is the RP city generator you mentioned?

*nevermind. I found it.

woekan
02-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Very cool! I like this.

Nomadic
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys. I went back over it and touched some things up. The new version I felt was good enough to offer up as a print so I did.

Finished Version (http://garrettdmorrison.deviantart.com/art/Medieval-Town-Map-112717813)