PDA

View Full Version : Species Migration Map

Nomadic
02-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok well I offered this up in the evolution map thread. There seemed to be some interest in such a map. So as not to derail that thread we will move the question over here.

Would you be interested in a contest where you design a map and then plot migration routes for a species as it spreads out from its cradle into new parts of the globe? The most common versions of this type of map are the human migration routes with all the arrows moving out of Africa. However, someone else suggested using gradients to represent different times in history during the migration. I am sure there are also many other ways you could show how your group traveled outwards from their birthplace.

Edit: Bartmoss has a very good point so then not just any specific migration map but any map that shows the travel and wanderings of a group. It could be a new species, the colonists of an empire, etc etc.

tff
02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
There's no reason* to make such a map in 2D. If you animate a 2D map across time, that's a third dimension. Or if you animate a spatially 3D map across time, that's 4 dimensions. Add a scrubber and a proximate-data fader, and you're gettin' really sexy!

*Except the cost in time. Or the cost in materials/technology. Or a flat-out lack of ability, which would be my excuse.

bartmoss
02-07-2009, 03:38 AM
I like it, but I would suggest extening it: Make it a general migration map, perhaps? So you could track either a species, or the expansion of the colonies in the new world, or mankind as it settles near-earth solar systems? Just a suggestion.

Nomadic
02-07-2009, 03:53 AM
I like it, but I would suggest extening it: Make it a general migration map, perhaps? So you could track either a species, or the expansion of the colonies in the new world, or mankind as it settles near-earth solar systems? Just a suggestion.

I think that would work and would be within the scope of a migration map.

beriothien
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Im working on something like this.
Starting at the year 0 and ending I dont know when yet.

Im having trouble finding accurate mapped data and Il need to get me some animation program that I can learn to use.

This be a summer project, or maybe longer.

Edit : Just found two delicious animated maps of the roman and byzantine empire, both spanning more then a 1000 years.