PDA

View Full Version : [Unpaid - Taken] Scepter Tower of Spellgard

xaar
02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I've noticed that someone made all maps for the "Keep on the Shadowfell" and "Thunderspire labyrinth" dungeon and dragon 4e adventures. I'm currently starting the Scepter Tower of Spellgard adventure as a DM and I'v been trying, in vain, to find the maps for this adventure.

I'm definitely not a cartographer myself and was wondering if someone was working on that project?

Thank you!

Nytmare
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I've been making them for my campaign about a week or two in advance. What exactly are you using them for? Combat maps, handouts?

I'll start cleaning things up and posting what I have.

xaar
02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I would be using mostly the combat maps. For the rest I'd rather leave it to the player's imagination based on my descriptions. If you started making some of those combat maps and are willing to post them, I would be most gratefull!

Thank you in advance!

Nytmare
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure if what I have is going to be useful for you, my current setup is to feed maps, as the players see things, to a secondary monitor so that they can transfer the necessary info to the battle mat.

This means that, for the most part, they're not at a great resolution, and they're not really "dressed".

I'm not always faithful to the original layout. If there are differences that you don't like, forgive me.

You'll also find that I cheat distances for things that aren't going to appear on the screen all at the same time. The distance between the towers of the raparts for example should be about 300', but 90% of that distance is never going to be used, so I just did a screen's worth and called it quits.

Nytmare
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Here's a clean version of the ruins too.

Ascension
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
That looks cool. Is that CC?

Nytmare
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
That looks cool. Is that CC?

The battle map looking ones are straight Photoshop with elements pulled in from a million different places, the larger map of the ruins is whatever WOTC used for the original with the text cleaned out and minor alterations made in Photoshop.

xaar
02-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Nytmare, this is exactly what I was looking for. You've just made my life as a DM that much easier!!

If you have any more maps for the Catacomb and Tower areas and are willing to share them as well, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for your contribution, I can't insist enough on how gratefull I am :)

Nytmare
02-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll upload everything I make, as I finish them.

xaar
02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Just to let you know, I've been using those maps for the last 3-4 games and the players really enjoyed these.

Thanks again, I'm eagerly awaiting the rest.

Aegeri
02-16-2009, 01:34 AM
I was just about to make the same request and I come here and see these great maps. Good scale for maptools as well. Please upload more :)

Nytmare
02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm just finishing up the catacombs, but I'm going to warn you ahead of time that I did it quick, and I made a lot of renovations.

Nytmare
02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Here are the catacombs. Again, I'm sorry it's so sloppy, but I'm only making these to have a couple of minutes screen time.

I changed things around for a couple of reasons. First off it was originally like 60+ inches to a side, with a lot of wasted space between rooms where encounters weren't in danger of overlapping. I've never understood why I've never seen a published adventure where each major chunk of dungeon doesn't fit onto a "regulation" battlemat.

Second off I couldn't figure out how the individual "close up" maps tied together around the canal. It almost felt like they gave each smaller map to a different person and left them to figure out how it fit into the big picture. I ended up making the central waterway the primary feature of that main hall with walkways flanking either side of it. I'm guessing that I'll allude to it being used as part of their death ritual or something.

While I was repositioning things, I decided to organize it a little, I didn't see any real reason to make it as asymmetrical as they had it.

Finally I always like to show a little bit of wear and tear inside my thousand year old abandoned catacombs, even if they are magically ensorcelled against the rigors of time.

Aegeri
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I find the Catacombs are laid out really strangely myself. Your map is a bit better because I can figure out where everything is on it. That's really my main requirement :)

xaar
02-21-2009, 02:24 PM
In my opinion, your map is more practical than what's in the adventure book 2. I was wondering how you were going to position the rooms as, like you said, they are very spread out one from another. The way you did it is straightforward and much easier to understand.

Thank you again for your time, your maps are really great!

Aegeri
03-01-2009, 06:45 AM
These maps work very well.

Nice squares making things practical to see in maptools is always an A+ in my book.

xaar
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Hello Nytmare,

I was just wondering how was your progression with these maps? My players are currently at facing Barthus so they will soon be out of the catacombs.

I've no intention to put any pressure on you to finish the maps, but I'd like to know if I should go with plan B (handmade maps).

Thank you!

Nytmare
03-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Sorry about that, I've been busy with work and my game got postponed a couple weeks in a row. I'll start working on the bottom of the tower and see if I can get it finished. If not I'll be able to at least get a bare bones version of it out there for you.

Nytmare
03-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow. So I drew up the map almost exactly how they had it layed out in the book and couldn't figure out how you were progressing from room to room. Then I realized that they were laying the maps out from left to right, but the party was travelling from right to left on each map, in the opposite direction of the arrows on the stairs. Part of it is the fact that I haven't been able to get much sleep lately, but man is that a silly way to lay out a map.

If I had figured out the layout earlier, I would have futzed with it and tied things together better. Actually, it's probably going to be another two weeks till my game picks up, maybe I will.

Phantos
03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Hey these are sweet, thanks!

Aegeri
04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
You've done a good job there. I'm looking forward to the map of the tower especially.

xaar
05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks again for the maps. We're pretty much done with the game and the players (and myself) really enjoyed the elaborate maps you've drawn.

I hope a lot of people will find and use these.

chubinator
05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Thank you so much! I'm just starting to DM this adventure and this saved me a bunch of time. My players getting impatient waiting for me to get MapTool setup for our next session. This gave me the jump start I needed. You rock.

Nytmare
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey, sorry I haven't had a chance to do the tower yet. I've got another week left on this job, and getting my own game up and running again (along with the necessary maps) is at the top of the list of things to do once I recover.

Thanks for all the thank yous, and I'm sorry to everyone who had to scramble to finish off the adventure on their own.

neofax
06-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the great maps so far! Will you be making the maps of the outside area for encounters 1 and 2? I use MapTools to play and I can scan portions of the map, but I do not know how to stitch them together in GIMP and came here to see if someone had already done this.

Nytmare
06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Whew.

They're kinda sloppy and thrown together; but my players couldn't figure out which way they were planning on breaking in and exploring, so I had to have them all done at once.

Starting from the top and heading down:

Nytmare
06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
The lower half of the tower:

Nytmare
06-26-2009, 01:45 PM
In the end they tried coming up from the catacombs, got beat up, captured, and dragged up to the 7th level, and then split up with one group heading down the tower, and one heading up.

The best laid plans...

astroADF
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Extending my thanks to you Nytmare; I'm about to run this campaign, and came online looking for this exact thing. Internet collaboration for the win :)

Thanks again, and for making the experience all the better for my players!

DM_Imp
12-16-2009, 02:21 AM
I cannot extend my thanks enough Nytmare, absolutely superb work!

Ris
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the Maps. And the review on how your game played out. I guess I better be ready for anything :)

alvonwald
02-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks for your your sharing this, it worked out so much better than the maps in the printed module. A rather sad statement - for WotC, not you.

Cheers,
Al

Namagem
05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for this; I am extremely grateful!

larryfinnjr
06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you!

DrTorte
07-10-2010, 11:07 PM
These are absolutley fantastic, thank you! :D

Slick
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Excellent, thanks very much!

Sulwyn
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
I just registered on the site; this is the first thread I've read; these maps are exactly what I was looking for. Amazing!