PDA

View Full Version : Annara (D&D4E Regional)

MadLetter
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi folks!

Long time no news from me, but again I return to present some new stuff. I've recently (shortly before christmas) got myself a Wacom Intuos3 and have been playing around when college let me have some time for myself.

I also recently got a few friends of mine to try roleplaying and for their effort in getting into the game, I make an effort to make it as pleasing as possible, including visuals.

I've been mapping thusly, since yesterday, creating the map I simply call "Annara"

I wish to ask of you all to answer me a question: Which of the 2 versions looks better? The one with brown color included, making mountainous and hilly regions more visible, or the brown-less variant with hills/mountains being marked less obviously.

Added Note: No rivers yet, they will come in time ;)

Soixante
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks very nice. I think I prefer the one with brown in it.

Redrobes
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Brown for me too.

(Good to see you around again !)

MadLetter
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
So I'll work a little more with the brown, until the majority tells me otherwise.

Also I'm happy to be back... I've trained a little, specifically with THIS (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2557) tutorial. Honestly, I do not like the outcome of those tutorials all too much, but it gave me some insights on how to find my own style, seeing as I always had huge problems with mounts (I always drew them "comic"-style, as evident from my older material).

If everything goes well, I might get around to be a little more active again, even though I doubt it with the lot of projects going on (Teaching folks Go, RPG's, College, Personal Matters, ...).

Anyways, thanks for your opinions, I've got some more stuff worked up. Added rivers and a little bit of plains here and there (brighter greenish-yellow areas).

thebax2k
02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice start MadLetter, add my voice to those who prefer brown in your maps as well. If you can further blend the landmasses with the water (or at least make the relief between the two a little bit less sharp), you'll have a great map.

MadLetter
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Okay I tried it without the "Stroke" I used to make land and sea more distinct. I'm very pleased with the outcome, thanks for the input.

More input is always welcome ;)

Korash
02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
While I like the way things look, the brown seems to blur the mountains. Can you make them more distinct? It seems to me that there is a bit of a glow to the brown areas as well.

I do like where this is goung, but I would like to "see" the mountains more.

Have some rep for the work you have done :)

MadLetter
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I could reduce the translucency on the mountains a little more. The glow might come from me using a Gaussian Blur filter on the areas after roughly coloring them...

Any good suggestions for making it more distinct?

Oh, thanks for the Rep by the way! :)

Steel General
02-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I'll throw in my vote for the one with the brown.

Keep going, this is coming out nicely.

Ascension
02-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't have any suggestions whatsoever but I like how this is going...good job.

ravells
02-08-2009, 04:19 AM
I really love the forest distribution in this map. How did you do it, Madletter? It's beautiful.

MadLetter
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks ravells. I used a home-made brush, very simple one.

Diameter 2px
Hardness 0%
Spacing 422%

Shape Dynamics:
Size Jitter Control: Pen Pressure (using Wacom Intuos3, sometimes I turn it off. Okay mostly I turn it off)

Scattering:
Scatter Box Axes
Scatter 1000% (max.)
Control: Off
Count: 8
Jitter 0%

Dual Brush:
I use a secondary bursh to give it more texture. I used a 100 px diameter round bursh that looks "wet" somewhat.

The distribution I did per Intuos3 and my mood, then. Just a patch here and there. I did also with purpose put trees everywhere. Even in the north of germany where I went last year there were trees everywhere, even if only a few in comparison to the huge woodlands that surrounds my home city... (you can google "Pfälzer Wald" if you are interested).

Hope that helps! ;)

ravells
02-08-2009, 03:15 PM
It does help! Thanks, I should use custom brushes much more than I do. Cheers!

MadLetter
02-08-2009, 03:54 PM
They can be helpful, really. I'm making scarce use of them too (still but not too much longer) and am missing out on some awesome stuff with all likelyhood...

MadLetter
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Updated WIP

Worked a little more on the water (adding 3 layers of coloration)
Brightened everything up by a tiny bit
Shaprened Rivers and changed their coloration a little
Adding first locations and names

MadLetter
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Okay I got a question folks.

I showed the map to several other folks, mostly non-mappers, and nearly all said "it's too green"

Ever heared that complaint? How to best remedy it? Should I ignore it? What do you folks think?

Midgardsormr
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
It is, indeed, very green. I don't think you need to redo it, though. You can possibly balance it by adding another color. You've got green and blue, so that suggests to me either violet, to round out an analogous color scheme, or a reddish-orange to complete the split-complement. The labels would be an obvious place to start with that. Just a little orange will balance loads of green and blue.

edit: whoops! I missed the north-east portion. Looks like you've already started with that. Spread some more of those red towns around the big landmass, and show it to your critics again.

Ascension
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd say it's not the amount of green but the color of the green. What I mean is, is that you have a very bright, rich green much like an emerald. Try something more like an olive green or sage green or a seaweed green. I often look at some of the colors of vegetables and their leaves at the market for ideas. Despite what your proofers think, though, I still like it as is :)

bartmoss
02-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Agreed with Ascension, make the green a bit more subdued, but adding some brownish tones for hilly areas probably doesn't hurt to break it up.