PDA

View Full Version : Regional Map (simplistic)

shpena
02-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Hello again!

This is my current project, a regional map of an area below my previous Trader's map. The trader's map used a bitmap background, but this time I am thinking of just leaving it blank and having the whole map B&W. I will post updates every now and again whenever I have time. Hopefully it will be finished in 3-4 days.

The area has a main city, Völušpá in the upper left surrounded and protected by mountains (perhaps even hewn from said mountains). The two smaller towns would be a large port town, En (south), and a smaller mountain/plains town, Erket (east). The center area is a large plains area with a huge mountain unnaturally made and large rifts and chasms surrounding it from tectonic shifts and dark magic. The upper edges are the mountains from the Trader's map (Erek-en-Ghel) and the river is the same (Kanes-en-Drita).

What I want to be able to convey is a lonely place that was the scene of an ancient battle which caused the central area to rupture and shift making an unnatural large mountain.

I also am looking for help on creating a decent map scale. The one in the Trader's Map does not keep the fonts. In the symbol manger, the Celtic-1 font shows well and the text 'Scale in Miles' is centered, but once the symbol is made, the font does not get saved and instead arial font is shown with the text shifted to the left. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

---- EDIT ----
The map is made in Campaign Cartographer 3 using lots of CC2's hand drawn symbols as well as the DS_Celtic-2 font and Dwarven-2 font. Forgot to add this, sorry!!!

--- EDIT 2 ---
Posted final map (pending). Hopefully this will get decent reviews... :)

--- EDIT 3 ---
Ok, updated final map on page 2 of forums. If it doesn't suck, then I will post it in the finished map section. Huzzah!

--- EDIT 4 ---
FINISHED!!! Thanks to all who helped! Check it out! (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4314)

Xeviat
02-09-2009, 01:49 AM
What font is that?

As for the map itself, I like the art style for the details.

bartmoss
02-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Looks good, maybe add some sort of symbols to the plains to indicate grassland (if it is grassland). It looks a bit barren, and my first impression was "desert".

Can't help you with the software issues, not even sure what you used to make this.

Greason Wolfe
02-09-2009, 04:06 AM
I don't know that I would call that a simplistic map . . . Admittedly, it might be chuck full of stuff, but it is well executed and I rather like the artwork. Takes me back to the early days of my role playing career.

As for the text/symbol problem . . . As bartmoss said, not knowing what software package you are using to create this map makes solving that problem a tad difficult, but one recommendation I would make, having had a similar problem in PSP in the past, is to lay out the text first, merge your test layer, then start a new text layer in the alternate font. For instance, if you want the text to be Celtic and the symbol comes from Wingdings, try setting up the text (from your celtic font) as one layer and the symbol (from wingdings) as another layer. Not sure if that will help your situation or not, but it worked for me rather than trying to include two or three different fonts in one text string.

GW

shpena
02-09-2009, 06:41 AM
My apologies, I should have said which program I was using. I am using CC3 and many of CC2's symbols.

@Xeviat
I use the font called DS_Celtic-2

@bartmoss
Yes, I will add a few tufts of grass and some brush. It is in some early stages, and mayhaps growing pains...

bartmoss
02-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I am very impressed by people who can actually use CC. I thought it was the most user-unfriendly piece of software I tried since I took a look at emacs. Unfortunately it means I can't help you with it, but surely there are others who can.

shpena
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Here is an updated version. Please let me know what needs to be tweaked and whatnot.

I will probably add a bit more grass symbols and maybe tweak the town symbols a bit along with the text.

Thanks again!

Steel General
02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
This is coming along nicely...I think I would shrink the size of the "Plains of the Dead God" label, for me at least it tends to draw the eye away from the other symbols, etc. on the map.

shpena
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Edited first post's picture to reflect changes per suggestions.

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to get my map scale symbols to behave and scale properly. I've been looking at many other map scales and cannot seem to figure out how the devil they get the fonts and symbol scale down.
Will try to hunt down a better symbol making tutorial as the one in the new CC3 manual really didn't answer many questions.

Midgardsormr
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
On your scale issue, put the scale in the map, and then explode it. That will break it into its component parts, allowing you to change the font, alignment, colors, whatever you please. Be aware that the bar will be difficult to move around once you've done that since it will have so many pieces, so be sure it's where you want it to be before you explode it.

shpena
02-10-2009, 03:33 AM
@Midgardsormr

Thanks mate, that did the trick for the time being. I guess I still have much to learn about how to tame the wild beast that is CC3 and the symbol definition aspect. sigh.:((

Updated map, v4. Fiddled with the scale and am pleased with it. Will add a few more tweaks and fill in the area around the center mountain and hopefully call it finished.

shpena
02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
FINISHED....or so I am led to believe.

Final thoughts of this map: Much harder than anticipated. Thanks to Midgardsormr for the symbol help, and the others for their valuable input.

Once the map elders lay their seal of approval, I will post this onto the finished maps forum. As always, one with text and one without text.

Vandy
02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
<< VANDY, viewing shpena's map, feels himself being transported... >>

"Aye, laddy. 'Twas a day, it was, when the land shook and rent itself into pieces. Ye suredly wouldabeen sore afraid, ye would. Yon mountain in the center came from the depths of the airth and now stands broody-like, guarding the plain and rumbling when anya man come near."

<< Shivering, VANDY finds himself back in the thread posting... >>

Hi, shpena.

I must echo others comments in that your map may be looked upon as "simplistic" but it carries a heavy presence -- one that captivates and gives one pause for thought.

Great work on this map. Thanks for sharing it!

Regards,

Gary

bartmoss
02-10-2009, 08:30 AM
The little grass icons really help.

I think the latest version of the map is maybe a little too crowded. Try reducing the numbers of dead trees and chasms slightly, less may be more in this case.

shpena
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
@VANDY
That was a great post. Made me laugh. :P
Thanks for the post.

@Bartmoss
Killed a few trees and chasms off, hopefully it won't detract too much now.
Thanks for the input.

Thanks guys for taking the time to view my humble little map. More to come later!! :)

Steel General
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Very nice work shpena!

bartmoss
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Looks great shpena, it's a good balance now.

Midgardsormr
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Glad I could help. I'm a novice in CC, as well, but I learned that particular trick early on.

Hoel
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I noticed a minor flaw. You seem to have used an unsupported char in the rune text to the right...
Good job otherwise

shpena
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
@Hoel
Yeah...stupid name has an "ń" in it.
Good spot. Will fix and post to finished maps.

Thanks a ton guys. With your help my little map now looks decent. :)