PDA

View Full Version : Regional map somewhere in 1200 CE Japan

Jykke
02-09-2009, 07:51 AM
The first version is available on my introduction post:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4247

I haven't marked any towns or special places on the map as I'm not
sure yet which style would suit this map best. I think the mountains and
other elevations still need a lot of work as they seem to be lacking something.

The forests could have been done differently also, and on a closer look the
ground texture is a bit too bumby.

I would appreciate tips on how to make the mountais more spectacular, as
they get lost too easily to the map (not elevated enough..). I'm currently doing
all the work with photoshop, and having tried other software (dedicated for
creating mountains etc) I came to conclusion that photoshop works better
for me. Also comments on the town etc markers are welcomed.

ps. I know the roads aren't finished :D

Here's the map:

Steel General
02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
It looks like you used Ascension's tutorial(s) as a base for this. I'd go back and look at how he uses Photoshop lighting effects filter to bring out the "height" in his mountains.

I agree the regular grass is to 'bumpy', but that should be easily fixed with a different texture or by perhaps changing the scale of the one you are using.

Because the map itself is quite dark it's difficult for me to say much about the trees/forests.

Jykke
02-09-2009, 08:32 AM
It looks like you used Ascension's tutorial(s) as a base for this. I'd go back and look at how he uses Photoshop lighting effects filter to bring out the "height" in his mountains.

Actually I missed the whole tutorial :D. But I'll be definately giving it a closer look. Thanks!

and.. I'll brobably have to do the texturing all over again..

Ascension
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
First off, I'd make a layer of solid white, set the blend mode to soft light, then change the opacity to suit...this will brighten things up nicely and maybe the mountains will stand out a bit more. If not some color tweaks, lighting effects and maybe a bevel will help along with upping the scale/size of the mountains layer with an edit-transform-scale. Also you might try a layer of 50% gray set to overlay then grab the burn and dodge tools to create gulleys and ridges.

The only real problem I see is that the forests shapes are too regular. You can fix that with a layer mask in black/white (forest is white everything else is black) then hit it with the brush strokes-spatter filter. All in all, it looks pretty solid, just a few minor tweaks will make it shine.
edit - i mean forest edges are too regular, they need to be broken up a bit, the general shapes are great though.

woekan
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice start, a bit to dark.

I like the general lay-out and color use

Jykke
02-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Started plotting the map in 3d:

NeonKnight
02-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Like the 3d look so far

Steel General
02-16-2009, 06:45 AM
The 3D look is pretty durn cool.

joćo paulo
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Looks like the place where I live.

Jykke
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Update on the work process: Testing main road (red)..
I think I got the mountain textures right.. but the landscape
doesn't seem to work as well as I had hoped. Needs some tuning :P
I also think the camera angle is pretty ok as it is.

All tips appreciated.

Ascension
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
The forest green looks pretty good (the darker green) but the land needs something like a brown or tan streaks to break it up. Really cool though so far.

Jykke
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the good feedback. I'll try to put some of the tips into action.
Rendering a higher resolution version image of the map at the moment,
but Bryce 5.5 is damn slow especially on high end settings. I had
planned also to render few different versions of the landscape and
do a composite image with them. I'm not sure wether I should also
participate on the monthly challenge with my map, because I had
thought about adding some Clan territory markings and small towns..
maybe with some clan flags. But it all depends if I have time to complete
the whole map in time.

Jykke
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Higher res.. still not satisfied with the results :(

ravells
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Ah I thought you were using Bryce. Have you tried saving the camera position and making making multiple renders with different textures, importing all the images into photoshop and then using layer masks? I had pretty average results until I tried it. The results can be pretty good. Here is my effort (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3461&highlight=Bryce) which with more work could have looked pretty cool.

Jykke
02-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Ah I thought you were using Bryce. Have you tried saving the camera position and making making multiple renders with different textures, importing all the images into photoshop and then using layer masks? I had pretty average results until I tried it. The results can be pretty good. Here is my effort (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3461&highlight=Bryce) which with more work could have looked pretty cool.

It has crossed my mind.. The only problem is that I'm not very good at using materials in Bryce 5.5, and most of my bump-maps just don't work the way I want them to. What I would need is to get those forest -sections look like actual dense forests, and not just some land that looks like a camo-pattern :) The scale of the map is also a small problem, its something like 60km x 40km, so the trees etc shouldn't pop out too much ( can't really duplicate the terrain, lower it and use spikes to create forest look). I have been using Bryce for a week now and I actually almost gave up before seeing the great results you have had with Bryce. So maybe I'm going to check some tutorials and give it a new try. :)

ps. If you haven't already done a tutorial about this topic, maybe you should consider it just one more time. ;)

ravells
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I'll give it a go, but the problem with the way that I approach things is that I fiddle about so much, with lots of undos etc I forget how I get to any particular point. From what I remember about the one I did though it was purely a case of:

Render the terrain with about 5 or 6 different materials.
Render the terrain using a height mask and then again using a distance mask.

Put all of the images into photoshop as layers (use the hight and distance masks as layer masks) and then just use layer masks to bring out what you want.

Don't forget you are not beholden to using Bryce materials, you can use imported pictures of textures too.

Jykke
02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
I'll give it a go, but the problem with the way that I approach things is that I fiddle about so much, with lots of undos etc I forget how I get to any particular point. From what I remember about the one I did though it was purely a case of:

Render the terrain with about 5 or 6 different materials.
Render the terrain using a height mask and then again using a distance mask.

Put all of the images into photoshop as layers (use the hight and distance masks as layer masks) and then just use layer masks to bring out what you want.

Don't forget you are not beholden to using Bryce materials, you can use imported pictures of textures too.

I managed to get good results with bryce materials, but when I started combining them in photoshop, problems started to emerge. Somehow it didn't look natural at all.. and In my case, I have to plot some open areas and forests, which really makes everything a world of pain :D I did some experiments with trees (with adding noise to the terrain.. and getting some "spikes" representing trees), but the problem is that I can't make it look natural with layer effects.. theres even some color tone differences which just ruin the whole idea.. and masking all the forests & other terrain detail.. it is just too much work. :D I don't really know if 3d map is really worth all the trouble :)

ravells
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
LOL, well the one I did took many hours. Although I think it would take a lot less time now I have a better idea of what I'm doing. As I said earlier, use the height and distance masks in Bryce (in the render options) to make your ps layer masks for you. Bryce trees are horrible. I can't think of anyone that uses them. You're better off just using a picture of a tree on a 2d plane and alpha masking it, and then replicating it.

Jykke
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
The first one is the "tree layer".. not the final version (if I am going to complete the map).. but still :) I intended to mask off all the open areas and parts of the mountains (which are pretty much covered with trees on this particular picture).
Next picture is the forest base layer.. I think.. :D and what we're missing here is the open area layer.. and the mountain layer + any other layer that I might have forgot to mention.
EDIT: And the last one would be something like the end result (on a small area).. except there's no mountain texture etc..

Ascension
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
The first two here look pretty great but the third is a lil dark (I know heresy from me). It could be that all of the white surrounding it on my monitor forces my pupils to contract which sort of obliterates it so it may be fine if I had a smaller monitor :)

Jykke
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM
The first two here look pretty great but the third is a lil dark (I know heresy from me). It could be that all of the white surrounding it on my monitor forces my pupils to contract which sort of obliterates it so it may be fine if I had a smaller monitor :)

Yeah.. the third one was done in a hurry and I know it's a bit too dark. I just wanted to show how I planned to make the forests and open areas :P