PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War Part 01 Rescue at Rivenroar

cogollo
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello all,

I discovered this site 3 days ago, thanks to a friend of my gaming club.

As I will start the Scales of War campaign soon, I had been a couple of weeks busy preparing the maps (see, sometimes we use an LCD screen and a laptop; we project the maps on the LCD screen and use miniatures).

Anyway, I finished today most maps of Rescue at Rivenroar. As I have not seen maps posted here about this part of the Scales of War campaign, I'll post mine. They are the first serious maps I've ever done, so please bear that in mind, as I'm no professional designer.

Also, I have adapted a little bit the adventure to my taste. I'll try to post some comments with each map where I have added anything special.

Last but not least, thanks to nickverto for publishing his maps for the 3rd part of the campaign... man, they are great and I will surely use them... you saved me a lot of work! I hope my maps help other people too.

edit- I almost forgot:
1. My maps have a resolution of 60 pixels per inch (so that they work correctly with the LCD screen of my club).
2. Also, I have not added a grid, so that those of you who want to do other maps can get the objects in my map easily. If any of you prefers them with grid, I could work on that (though not a priority) as it should be automatic

edit2- I have created the grid for all maps. It was quite easy, so I will add the grid version to each section of this post. I am now working in two further maps to finish this section, a tactical map for the combat in Brindol (and for fun, as I am having a lot designing it) and a tactical map for the Kruthik encounter.

cogollo
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
This is the map of the tavern where the campaign starts. As it was my first map, I did not add anything special.

edit- I added extra details and nicer furniture. I also made some changes to adapt the map to the Brindol battle map I'm creating.

cogollo
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
This is the map of the first room of the Rivenroar dungeon.

I added two special things:
1. A crate of chickens the Goblins have stolen at the village. I plan to tell my players that they smell a delicious aroma coming from the dungeon when they descend the stairs. It is also a good explanation to make the Goblin guards too busy to pay much attention.

2. Generally, I prefer not to use too much traps in my adventures. So, in this case, I have substituted the braziers with a hanging chandelier. One Goblin will throw the switch by the northwestern torch to let the chandelier start swinging around, and the Goblins Sharpshooters will stay behind, shooting their crossbows.

All the squares between the doors except the four squares (2x2) in front of each door will be affected by the swinging chandelier (that's an area of 2x7).

Everyone that goes through the affected squares will suffer a +4 Reflex attack. A hit does 1d6 damage and leaves the creature prone. Someone who moves through each affected square as if it was difficult terrain gets a +2 bonus to his Reflex defense.

cogollo
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Couple things to mention here:

1. I added some graffitti in room 2, as I find it nice to be able to convey some jokes with the maps, hehe. The one here says "Orcses Suck". You'll see more graffittis in other rooms.

2. Room 2 also has a crate of fish. The Hobgoblins will be merrily eating some fried fish, and this will help me add some more fluff to the story. The brownish thingy northeast of the fire is the fish remains. I have also added some stains to the bedrolls of the Hobgoblins; this will help me remember to describe my players how dirty the whole place looks.

3. I have added four statues in the room with the magic portrait (room 4). They are just normal statues (at least in my campaign will be), but I am sure my players will get anxious about them... playing with their minds is always great.

cogollo
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
1. The black stain in room 5 is where the Magma Claws will appear.

2. The text on the floor in room 5 says "Hail Von Urstadts! Ascend with Glory!", as the adventure suggests. I've made two changes here:
a. I have written it in Latinish (not real Latin, but I am Spanish, and Spanish comes mostly from Latin, so it should be close enough);
b. I have also used Greek font. I will explain what the text means to the players if they pass a History DC10 check (and say it is Ancient Common or something similar).

3. The Gnomes' camp is in room 6.

4. I plan to have some spider swarms help the ettercaps in room 7. Squares with Spiderwebs will require an Athletics or Acrobatics DC12 check to avoid getting stuck. Squares adjacent to the spiderwebs will be DC10 (as the adventure suggests).

Gandwarf
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Awesome maps Cogollo. I repped you for them. I am sure you made several people very happy.

Steel General
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
First off...Welcome Aboard!! I dub thee newly repped for uploading a map in your first posts *bonk*

These are really nice - keep up the good work.

cogollo
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
1. In the corridor of room 8, I've written "Here lie..." with Greek font.

2. In room 9, the graffitti reads "Gobos Powa".

3. I've marked the intersecting walls of rooms 8 and 9 as in the adventure PDF.

shpena
02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Good stuff mate!

Ojala que sigues haciendo mas mapas de excelente calidad! :)

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:07 AM
So, nothing special about this map, which lets me add one comment to the whole dungeon.

I did not liked the idea that most of the treasure of the adventure lies in the sarcophaguses of the tomb. I don't think my players will want to take the role of Tomb Robbers in Scales of War(though in a campaign I did with the Warhammer rules they surely would have). That's why I have, in general, placed chests, crates and bags in all rooms with Hobgoblins or Gnomes. The treasure parcels will be lying in these containers instead of in the tombs.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Nothing of note in these rooms.
Had a lot of problems creating the mushrooms and a lot of fun creating the magic circle.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Comments about the Gnomes of the adventure.

1. The Gnome of these rooms has been busy interrogating Adronsius about his alchemy knowledge.

2. I asked myself what could have Sinruth paid a band of Gnomes to work with a band of stinky Hobgoblins. The best answer I could come up with is knowledge. So the Gnomes are mainly interested in studying the books and antiques found in the tomb. Sinruth allows them to do research in the tomb (and to interrogate the prisoners) as long as they help with the defense and create alchemical supplies for him.

This means that they will gladly surrender the moment they see themselves alone and surrounded by PCs, as they are tenuous allies of Sinruth and mostly interested in investigating the tomb (they don't care much who is the big boss in the tomb). This will give me the possibility of giving the PCs extra clues if they are lost, and give the PCs a moral dilemma on how to treat Gnome prisoners that have collaborated with Sinruth and his hobgoblins.

This also means that I will give Sinruth a couple of nasty alchemical items from Adventurer's Vault (plus add a small stock of alchemical items in his chambers to serve as extra treasure for the PCs).

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:26 AM
The Hobgoblins in this room have prepared a small defense obstacle: they have placed a table at the eastern entrance to the room.

They have also been busy with their mining tools, searching for treasure in these rooms. As a result, they have already broken through the western sarg in room 16 and have placed all the loot (parcels G and H as the adventure suggests) inside.

An easy Perception DC12 will be enough to tell the characters that the lid of the westernmost sarg has been already pried open. Jalissa, if asked, will also explain that the Goblins use that sarg as a strongbox.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:29 AM
The text in the corridor between rooms 17 and 19 says, as suggested in the adventure, "Honor the Heroic Guards of Rivenroar", but I have used a Greek font (as in other rooms with ancient texts).

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Although the Hobgoblins in room 15 can be considered part of his guard, I did not like that Sinruth had no bodyguards. I also wanted to make the encounter with him a little bit more epic.

So I decided to give him two Bodyguards. I did not want to add minions as bodyguards, but regular Hobgoblins would be too tough, so I will combine the Goblin Warrior (Level 1 Skirmisher) with the Hobgoblin Grunt (Level 3 Minion).

Sinruth's bodyguards will be two Hobgoblin "Skirmishers". They will use the same statistics as the Hobgoblin Grunt but with 29/14 HPs and damage of 1d8+3 with their longswords. They will have a Strength of 16 and will be Level 1 Skirmishers (100 XP each).

As I said before in my comments about the Gnomes, I will give Sinruth and his bodyguards some alchemical items.
Each of them will have 1 Tanglefoot Bag (Level 2), 1 Alchemist's Frost (Level 1) and 1 Herbal Poultice (level 3). Sinruth will also have 1 Dragonfire Tar (level 3).
In his chest, Sinruth has 2 more Herbal Poultices (level 3), 1 Clearwater Solution (level 1), 2 Tanglefoot Bags (Level 2) and 1 Lockbust Chalk (level 4).

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:49 AM
The wererats have their camp in room 23.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:52 AM
The wererats joined Sinruth because they find pleasure in destroying the hated human towns.

If the PCs defeat all wererats first, the Gnome will surrender, as he is more interested in studying the books in this room than in fighting adventurers. He will gladly tell the PCs what he wants if allowed to live.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:53 AM
And the last room. I'll follow the adventure suggestions in this one.

cogollo
02-10-2009, 02:59 AM
So, that was it for the moment. I still intend to do one more map: the Kruthik's Lair (page 19 of the adventure).

I will also work together with Nickverto so that I don't repeat the work on maps he has already done for the campaign.

And another future project I have is creating maps for the "Curse of the Crimson Throne" campaign from Paizo, as I also intend to run it (another friend is running "Rise of the Runelords" for us and we are enjoying it a lot).

Last but not least, thanks for all those who left their positive comments in this thread. I am glad you liked the maps.

joão paulo
02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Lots of good stuff here.

excellent

Steel General
02-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice work Cogollo...

cogollo
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
This is the map I plan to use for the combat with the Ogre (page 14 of Rescue at Rivenroar adventure).

I plan to make a big battle out of it. As we are a lot in my gaming club, I was planning on asking a couple guys that won't play the campaign to come and play with some extra monsters and guards of Brindol to spice things up. I'll make all of them minions (both extra Hobgoblins and Guards) so that they don't take the glory away from the PCs. I plan to make it a big memorable battle, though.

Three of the buildings that you can see (the stables, smithy and the shop between the stables and the smithy) are reused buildings I found somewhere else (I only added a couple things). I have designed the other 4 buildings... was a lot of fun! though time consuming.

I still plan to add something more in this part of town and to add the southern half later on, but wanted to post it here so that you see what is coming...

edit- I have added more details and tried to solve the problems that Hoel pointed to in his post.

Hoel
02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Good battlemap.
I can point out a few minor nitpicks
-The horse seems awfully small compared to the sheep, but it might be a foal or pony..
-The ground texture is a bit off scale, the blades of grass are huge
-The drop shadow from the grass is a bit much, maybe bring it back a bit.
Good work with the elements!

cogollo
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Good battlemap.
I can point out a few minor nitpicks
-The horse seems awfully small compared to the sheep, but it might be a foal or pony..
-The ground texture is a bit off scale, the blades of grass are huge
-The drop shadow from the grass is a bit much, maybe bring it back a bit.
Good work with the elements!

Thanks a lot for the advice!
I have never been good at drawing, so every advice I get is very much appreciated.

opium
02-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks for sharing these Cogollo, this is great work. Much appreciated for your efforts.

ydeon
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Ah, tío, me acabas de hacer un DM muy feliz, hahaha. Llevo un par de meses queriendo jugar, y de repente, tengo gente, fecha..pero tengo que hacer de DM, GAH! Y sólo un día para preparalo todo, hehe.

Pienso utilizar un monitor tft sobre la mesa en vez de dibujar o imprimir los mapas, y estas pequeñas obras de arte van genial con Maptools. Ahora, a continuar el curro. Muchas gracias!

Oren
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
This is the map I plan to use for the combat with the Ogre (page 14 of Rescue at Rivenroar adventure).

I plan to make a big battle out of it. As we are a lot in my gaming club, I was planning on asking a couple guys that won't play the campaign to come and play with some extra monsters and guards of Brindol to spice things up. I'll make all of them minions (both extra Hobgoblins and Guards) so that they don't take the glory away from the PCs. I plan to make it a big memorable battle, though.

Three of the buildings that you can see (the stables, smithy and the shop between the stables and the smithy) are reused buildings I found somewhere else (I only added a couple things). I have designed the other 4 buildings... was a lot of fun! though time consuming.

I still plan to add something more in this part of town and to add the southern half later on, but wanted to post it here so that you see what is coming...

edit- I have added more details and tried to solve the problems that Hoel pointed to in his post.
Very nice. Much better than the original map, where the bar was smaller than the actual one from the bar map, and where the doors were positioned wrongly.

DungeonMasterGaz
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Ya, I agree with Oren.

I'm just playing through the SoW adventures in my online game, and these maps really are better than the one's presented in Dragon magazine. I love all the extra details you've added to many of the rooms, and it would have been way more fun with your version of the "Ogre Bombadier" map. Your details would make for much better terrain, and If I'd used these maps when I first ran the game my players would have been hungry to know what the "graffitti" said. They're always looking for clues and such.

Very well done.

ryansommer
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
All,

This is my first psot here and I actually came here via Penny-arcade to look for maps for Rescue at Riven Roar. I can't begin to express how amazing not only these maps are, but how amazing this site is. Great work, everyone!

Now onto the newbie question: What is the best way to print these for use as a battlemap? Does regualr paper work and just tape them together?

Thanks in advanced,
Ryan

Midgardsormr
04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Yep, that's a good way to go about it. To slice up an image into page-sized pieces, the usual recommendation is PosteRazor:
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

ryansommer
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
One more question: Are the jpg's located in this thread sufficient to use with Posterazor or is there a larger sized file that is needed?
Sorry for all the hand holding.

Ryan

mikeloftus
04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I also came from Penny Arcade's website, these maps are really great!

Thank you so much for sharing!

I also find the changes you made with the Gnomes something that I will be adding as well... it seemed too strange to me that they would fight to the death for Sinruth too.

-Mike

Banno
05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Fantastic maps!

I googled my way here looking for maps for Rivenroar and a map maker.

What software did you use for these maps? (Dunno if that is a silly question, but I'm totally new to this stuff).

/Banno

BokaSyn77
06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Just wanna say thx for sharing these amazing colored & highly detailed maps.

I already have the dungeon levels 1 & 2 from elsewhere, but I was looking for the inn map & streets battle...Just perfect.

Have finished any other of the adventures in this AP? Any plans? Links?

I guess my only complaint is the squares seem to be about 1/2" or 3/4"...I wish they were about 20-25% bigger...

Great job!

EDIT : Do u have a grid version of the Ogre bombardier streets battle map?

kobodaishi
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Hi there. This map is great! I'm planning to print it and have that encounter played there. I have a problem thoug. I dont know how to add the grid to the map.
I'm asking for anyone help. Could someone do that favor for me?
Thank you all in advance.

Otakkun
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
If anyone knows how to grid that map from the ogre fight, please let me know. Thanks!

icerimp
08-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Not sure if anyone's still having issues with applying a grid to the Ogre Fight, but here's what I did, using maptool. The tavern is supposed to be a 15x14 area, so if you use that for reference and apply a grid of that size to it, you can tweak with the positioning slightly to get a very workable battle map.

It's not perfect, but it's a beautiful map, and I'm sure any players would be willing to ignore their token clipping into a wall slightly considering the quality. :)

BokaSyn77
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Does the OP or anyone plan on doing maps further in the AP, such as Lost Mine Of Karak, Den Of The Destroyer, & Beyond The Mottled Tower...?

Perhaps these are done and some can post a link...?

good work on those maps!

Zenborn
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
If anyone knows how to grid that map from the ogre fight, please let me know. Thanks!

Great maps man. Ill be using these over the initial set for sure. As for the grid, I used gimp to place a grid on the image. It was quite simple too. Just open the image. Then goto Filters ---> Render ---> Pattern ---> Grid. It will than pull up a dialogue box. In that box, you control the settings: line width, spacing and offset. Set line width to 2-4 px, spacing to 1 in and offset to 0 and WALLA, INSTA GRID.

BokaSyn77
09-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Any word on the battle maps for 'Lost Mines of Karak' and beyond?

Just finished RaR and my group is heading to Overlook w/ the session that ended earlier tonight...

These maps are too good not to have...